Birthday Gift from Michael by Andrea
Summary:

A short fiction I wrote some time ago as a birthday present for one of my best friends.

God comes to warn Michael that he will be brought back home, in Heaven very soon. But Michael loves Candice so he fights with God for his life. Let's see who wins the "fight"

Inspired by Michael's song, "Heaven Can Wait". Enjoy!


Categories: Suspense, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery Characters: Michael
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1446 Read: 1309 Published: Aug 26, 2010 Updated: Aug 26, 2010

1. Chapter 1 by Andrea

Chapter 1 by Andrea

 It was the 20th of April, just a few minutes past midnight and Michael was sound asleep holding Candice tight in his arms. She was also sleeping with a childish smile on her face and a hand entangled in Michael's black curls. That is the way they have been sleeping every night for the past 3 years. They met by a fortunate coincidence and it was love at first sight. They never parted since that evening, not even for a moment.
  A chilly breeze got thru the opened window of the bedroom and made Michael shiver a bit in his sleep pulling Candice even tighter at his chest. She moaned lightly feeling Michael's skin so close to her and letting his scent tickle her senses. In a moment they were asleep again.
  It was silent and peaceful for a few minutes but the breeze from earlier turned into a cold wind that made the window close with a loud noise.
  Michael woke up in an instant and scouted the room with his eyes "It was just the wind." He thought as he went to the window to shut it properly. He got back into bed quickly because although it was hot in California in this time of the year, that wind made the bedroom very cold. He pulled the covers over his body and turned around to check on Candice before he would go to sleep again.
  Strangely, Candice was sleeping like nothing happened, like there was no noise, with her body relaxed outside the covers without feeling how cold the room seemed to be now.
  Michael remained still, staring at her, at her beauty, like this was the first time he'd seen her. Black long hair framing her face making her seem like she was a painting on the pillow, red thick lips slightly opened inviting Michael to kiss them, black curled lashes making him blush like a school boy, tanned soft skin revealing from the low cut cleavage of the night gown alluring Michael to touch her.
  Gathering his hands in a prayer Michael talked to the Lord
       "She is so beautiful God and making me so happy, each moment spent with her is simply wonderful. And this love I feel for her it's incredible, it overwhelms me sometimes, making me loose my breath for moments. Thank you God for Candice and for her love."
  As Michael finished his prayer he laid back slowly on the pillows and closed his eyes. But the wind blew again, opening the window again and a voice echoed around the room startling Michael.

       "Come here my son." A man spoke with deep voice tone yet gentle and kind.

  Michael felt his whole body being invaded by a feeling of serenity. He got out of the bed and walked to the window. The air was warm again and a golden light was filling the garden outside.

       "I am here Father." Michael said with his angelic voice resembling so much with the   voice of the man that spoke earlier.
       "Michael, I heard your words, your prayer to me. I always listened to your prayers since you were a little boy."

  Michael was amazed but for some reason he was not frightened. He always knew that God is watching over him and trusted his whole life in His hands. Now he felt a heavy burden being lifted off his shoulders and his heart light all of a sudden.

       "Why are you talking to me tonight God?" He finally talked putting his head down being humbled in God's grace.
       "Listen to me son, in the morning my angels will come after you, it's time for you to come back home where you belong."
       "What do you mean?" Michael asked puzzled, fear crawling in his soul for the first time.
       "Michael, this is your last night on Earth, in the morning your brothers will come to guide you back to Heaven. But hearing your words earlier and knowing your love for Candice I came and woke you up. I couldn't take you back home without giving you the chance to see her face one more time, to feel her in your arms for the last time."

  As God spoke Michael's eyes filled with heavy tears and he felt his heart being torn into little pieces. He didn't want to be taken away form Candice's side, he didn't want to leave her alone and not being able to defend and protect her anymore. It was unthinkable.

       "No God, please don't. Tell the angels no, that I don't want to go. Please God, I am begging you." Michael burst out crying and he looked up to the sky for the first time.
       "Michael, my son, you don't belong on Earth. Your home is here, in Heaven by my side. I sent you down there and you did your duty well child. You helped people, you taught people great lessons, you brought smiles on their faces with your talents, you made them happy and gave them so many things and most of all you LOVED them Michael, you loved each and everyone of them. But now is time for you to come back home, in Heaven. An eternity of joy and happiness and love awaits for you now my beautiful son."
       "God, please! I love Candice too much. Heaven for me is where she is. You gave her to me, now don't take her away. Please Father, Heaven can wait." Michael begged God again and again with soft low voice and putting his head down again.
       "Michael, look at me!" God demanded and Michael obeyed.

  The wind started to blow hard and the room got cold again.

       "In the morning your heart will stop beating and you will shut your eyes up forever to this world. They had you enough time and didn't know how to appreciate you. Now I am taking my angel back home."

  The golden light started to fade away and Michael knew God was upset now and leaving. He felt weak and sleepy all of a sudden but he was determined not to give up, with his last strengths he cried kneeling down.

       "Not on her birthday God."

  The light came back even brighter this time

       "What did you say?" God spoke to Michael again.
       "Today is Candice's birthday Father, she turns 30. I don't want to go away on her birthday. I promised I'll be here with her. Please Father, I understand you need me back home and I am at Your will but not today. Forgive my presumption Father but I don't want her birthday to be a reminder of my death forever. Please tell the angels not to come in the morning, not today Father. Give me one more day."

  Michael stopped talking, he couldn't go on because he was drowned in tears and feeling weaker and weaker.
  He stopped talking and God didn't speak either. The room fell into a deep silence. Michael turned his eyes to Candice. She was still sleeping peacefully, curled up like a child, cuddling the pillow and mumbling something in her dreams. She didn't hear a thing, she didn't know a thing. Her world was still silent and warm and happy.

       "Fine my son. You sacrificed yourself for me and all my children here on Earth so you deserve your wish to be granted. Heaven can wait, you are right. Here is your home and you will be welcomed anytime. You asked for one day, I'll give you 2 more months. Spend them wisely. Goodbye Michael."

  God's last words thundered around the room and before having the chance to thank his Father Michael fell into a deep sleep, right there on the wooden floor.
  The golden light of the sun awoke Michael this time. He looked around puzzled not knowing why he slept on the floor or how he even got down there. But he had no time to think about that now. Candice was just awakening up in the bed and today was her birthday. Michael wanted this day to be so special, he prepared so many surprises for her and he really wanted to be the first to kiss her and hug her today.
  So he jumped off the floor feeling an energy in his body like he felt when he was in his 30's and took Candice into his arms
                      "Happy Birthday Candy, my love!"
  They kissed after that, both feeling happy and blessed and full of life.
  Michael's remembrance of that night and his talk with God was completely erased from his mind and Candice had no idea whatsoever about what happened.
  Michael didn't remember what was in store for him and Candice never found out that Michael fought with God for her that night and managed to give her the most wonderful birthday present in the world – a few more days of his life.

This story archived at http://www.mjfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=151