When I Come Of Age by MichaelManiac
Summary:

A short taken from "When I Come Of Age", A sweet love song sung by a young Michael.
Photobucket


Categories: Jackson 5: 1965-1975, One Shot, Romance, Song Fics Characters: Michael, Original Girl
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Short & Sweet
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 800 Read: 945 Published: Aug 25, 2012 Updated: Aug 25, 2012
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

PLEASE REVIEW!!

1. Chapter 1: When I Come Of Age by MichaelManiac

Chapter 1: When I Come Of Age by MichaelManiac
Author's Notes:
Reviews and support are appreciated!!!
Slowpoke!!!” The young, doe eyed boy shouts. A big grin plastered on his face as he peers over his shoulder at the young girl beneath him. The branches of the tall oak tree claws at the patches on his faded blue overalls, yet slim and agile he manages to escape their grasp. “Hey, no fair Mike!!! You’re faster!!!” a feminine voice from below protests. The boy’s smile grows even wider as he finally reaches the top branch.


“I’m the king of the world!!!” He playfully shouts. Giggles escape his throat as watches the girl from below struggling to scale the great oak. “Just got longer legs. That’s all.” She declares. He smiles. “Get up here girl.” He says once she finally reaches the top of the tree. Balancing his weight on the branch, he eagerly pats the spot beside him expecting her to join. Without any hesitation she plants herself at his side.


Silence suffocates the companions as they observe the view of their neighborhood from above, their feet, clad in worn high-tops swaying below them. The small houses beneath them never looked more dirty and gloomy. The whole site of it was just sad. With a sympathetic sigh she reaches over and grabs hold of his hand.
“One of these days, I’m gonna get otta here. Far away and never look back.” He declares still studying the impoverished neighborhood. “Almost nobody ever gets outta here. When I come of age, I’m gonna be the first.” The thought of him leaving her makes her heart sink into the pit of her stomach. Her grip tightens, her way of holding on.



“And when I’m gone, I’m gonna do so many great things. I can be whatever I want; An Astronaut, maybe even a movie star. I’ll take far- away trips to countries unknown. It’s gonna be a blast. I can’t wait till I’m a man.” The boy declares his doe eyes ablaze with dreams. “Michael.” She speaks. “What about us?” Innocence dripping from her words. Michael turns to her, his expression changes from dreamy to serious. “Well what about us? Will you still love me?” He asks returning her question with one of his own.



She is silent for a while, thinking of an answer.
The gentle breeze blows in the stillness of the conversation. He decides he can no longer wait on an answer. “I sure hope you’ll still want to marry me. But I guess we’ll have to wait and see huh?” A look of disappointment and hurt flashes in his eyes. She sighs.



“That’s not what I mean, Mike. I mean, how do you expect me to still be in love with you and you’ll be a gazillion miles away!! You’ll forget all about me!!” She exclaims. Her eyes begin to rim with tears and her head hangs in sadness. She doesn’t want him to see her tears but he knows her all too well.


“Em. Look at me Em.” He softly demands. The young girl fixes her teary gaze on the worn down city trying to avoid his stares. She fixes her gaze downward until he gently pries her face upward. He sighs, gazing into her sad eyes.


“You know I’m gonna take you with me.” He states trying to comfort her troubled soul. “But Mike, what about our folks?” The question lingers in the air for a while until a response is made. “Our folks, they don’t understand. They say we’re too young. Too young to really be in love. They say we can’t begin to know what love means. But I understand what love is, cause every time I look at you, that’s what I feel. Nothing‘s ever gonna change that. When I become a man, I’m gonna love just as strong as I do now.” Never have such passionate words escaped the young boy’s mouth. He means them with all his being.


“We’re really gonna be out of here one day?” She asks her face aglow. “Just you and me, I promise you that. But you’ve got believe in me. We’ll be able to do much, all the things we can’t do now. You just gotta be patient. You gotta promise me you’ll wait for me.” He answers grabbing hold of her delicate hand. “I promise.” She replies.



A contented sigh escaped the sweethearts lips as they sit side by side, watching the sun set before them. With eyes full of hope, they are able to see the true beauty of the project below them. She leans her head against his shoulder as daytime turns to dusk.


“We’re gonna be so happy.”
End Notes:
For those of you who never heard the song, Here it is!!








Please review and let me know how it was!!!
This story archived at http://www.mjfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2576