Unconditionally Yours by Leahluv21
Summary:

CHAPTER SIX IS UP!!!!! Thanks you guys for all the support and encouragement i've gotten :) I <3 my readers and appreciate you guys a bunch!! I should have another update by tonight

<3 Leah


What would you give of yourself to save someone you loved? To spare them from pain?  How many people would allow themselves to sacrifice everything, inlcuding who they were?

That's exactly what Katherine Taylor did.

Introducted by her aunt Elizabeth Taylor, Katherine is best friends with Michael Jackson.  Both of them drowning in their own demons a bond was formed that few people get to experience.

They became everything to each other. 

Katie is on set of her hit television series when she learns that Michael has been accused of sexually molesting a child.  Shocked, Katie rushes to his side and agrees to form a pretend relationship in the public eye to keep the press from eating him alive. She thought it would save him.  That it would keep the demons from his past from ressurecting.

She thought wrong.



Disclaimer: 
All publicly recognized characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are property of the authors. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.    


Categories: Humor, Romance Characters: Michael, Original Girl
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: Drug Abuse
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 13993 Read: 10471 Published: Nov 26, 2013 Updated: Jul 03, 2014
Story Notes:





Katie




Elizabeth



Michael

1. Chapter 1 by Leahluv21

2. Chapter 2 by Leahluv21

3. Chapter 3 by Leahluv21

4. Chapter 4 by Leahluv21

5. Chapter 5 by Leahluv21

6. Chapter 6 by Leahluv21

Chapter 1 by Leahluv21

"Michael! Michael! Michael!"

The stadium was filled with thousands of screaming fans, and from my seat behind stage I could see girls in the front row screaming and reaching frantically across the barricades trying to touch him . The majority of them dressed in Bad tour shirts with tears streaming down their faces, I marveled at the intensity of their devotion and silently wondered if any other performer had ever been able to capture the same intense connection with their fans.

Probably not...

He was a genius  I thought my eyes trailing up to the stage.  Dressed in a white undershirt, opened blue dress shirt, and black slacks Michael's hair clung against his glistening neck and cheeks.  Breathing heavily under the beam of the heavy spotlights, Michael's blue dress shirt rattled against the wind propelling out of the large fans off the sides of the stages and he reached up and tugged at his collar as the music began playing.  

"I'm gonna make a change...for once in my life." Michael rocked by and forth against the microphone stand with his eyes closed. "It's gonna feel real good, gonna make a difference, gonna make it right."

Michael's thick black curls dangled at the sides of his face and strands of hair slipped from the ponytail.  Smiling, I thought about how far Michael had come with his career in the last few years and I turned in my seat to glance at my Aunt Liz.  Dressed in a shimmering black sweater and a pair of black slacks, Aunt Liz reached up and patted her carefully styled hair.   Nudging her in the side I leaned in close to her and cupped my hand over my mouth.  Nodding my head to the stage, I pointed my finger out to the crowd.

"It's incredible, isn't it?"

Thick black lashes framed her large violet eyes as they scannned over the audience.  

"Darling, It truly is remarkable." She finally responded, reaching over the edge of her chair to pat my arm.    "I think it's only going to grow from here on out though." She replied looking over at me.  "Michael's success shows no signs of slowing down."

No kidding.

I had been acting since I was nine and was just now finding success on televison.  Proud of my own accomplishments, I could hardly believe how quickly Michael's career was flourishing with every song, music video, and short film he made.  Quickly he was becoming a global phenomem and it hadn't even come close to slowing down since we had met at the studios so many years ago while he was working on Thriller.  Introduced by my Aunt Liz, who had been a confidante and close friend of Michael's for as long as I can remember, Over the years we had become as close as two people could be.  Michael was someone that I respected, had tons in common with, and also had a good time with when we both were able to clear our schedules long enough to spend time together.

"Do you know how much longer this is going to go?"   I ran a hand through my hair and looked nervously at the clock sitting perched above the curtains.  I had been here all day waiting for Michael to find a break and I was starting to get antsy.  "I have to be back at the studio first thing in the morning."

Shrugging her shoulders Aunt Liz kept her eyes trained ahead. I let out a resigned sigh realizing I was probably going to take off before he was even finished so that I could pour over my lines for the morning.  Relectuantly I looked over at the stage one more time and bit my lip hesitantly.

"I can't believe he's going to be gone for over a year."

"I know Katie.  But he'll fly in when he can."

Her voice was laced with sincerity, but I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.    It was more likely i'd be the one to find the time.  When Michael was on tour he had a one track mind.

"Will you tell him I had to leave for me?"

Her eyes widened in surprise.  One of Michael's guitarist raced between our chairs and both of us ducked our heads as the guitar hanging from his neck swung hazardly at his waist.  

"Sorry!"  He yelled, still running.  Raising his hand in a half wave, he disappeared behind the risers to get in place for the next number and I pulled a few strands of hair from my eyes and straightened.

 "Your leaving?"

Incrediously, Aunt Liz straightened in her chair and layed her perfectly french maincured hand on the arm rest.  Tilting her head slightly she looked at my curiously.

"I have too."

Her eyes flashed understanding and I reached down and grabbed my purse.  Adjusting out of the chair I pulled my hair behind my ear and leaned down to give her a kiss on the cheek.  Closing her eyes momentarily, she quickly squeezed my hand and looked back up.  

"Be careful in the traffic sweet girl.  I wouldn't know what to do if something happened to you."

Affectionately, my eyes softened and I leaned down to pull her in a hug.

"Same goes for you."  
__________________________________________________________________________________

"Joey...i've been looking everywhere for you"  James whispy blonde hair and large brown eyes stared back at me after opening the closet.  Dressed in a pair of light denim jeans and a dark green sweater I stared back up at him, vulnerably.  

His soft green sweater felt soft against my wrist as he leaned down to grab my arm.  I let him pull me from the closet and bit my lower lip.  

"There's nothing going on between Jen and Me.  What you saw today was completely innocent."

I turned away from him and looked down to the bed.  Raising my eyebrows nonchalantly I let out a resigned sigh.

"Look, you don't have to explain to me Dawson."

"Yes..."  James moved closer to me and grabbed both of my arms.  "Yes I do..." He whispered, searching my eyes.

"We're just friends!" Throwing my arms up in the air I took a step back from him and ran a hand through my hair.

"No, we're more than that you know that."

"And....cut!"  

The cameras backed away from their marks and immediately both of us were surrounded by makeup and hairstylists trying to make sure that we looked good enough for the next take.  

"James...the line was supposed to be..."  

Tim our director hopped out of his seat.  Waving the script in the air quickly he hussled over and led James away from the crew to discuss his blunder.  I watched them both go for a minute and let out a large yawn.  Up most of the night learning my lines, I was exhausted from all of the takes we had done tonight and silently I wondered if we'd be done in time for me to order Chinese from the place a couple of blocks away from my condo.  Most nights everything was closed by the time we were able to leave.

"Katie?"

I heard Tim's voice behind me and I turned around and looked at him questioningly.

"We're going to go ahead and shoot the scene with Dawson and Pacey now.  So if you want to go head out to your trailer for a couple of hours we will call for you when we are done."

Nodding my head, I gave him a smile and looked over to the chair I had piled all of my stuff in earlier.  Pulling my hair into a ponytail, I wrapped my hair up in the elastic band I had on my wrist and I made my way over to the chair. My hand ran along the dark blue canvas, and I grabbed the soft brown suede coat and book.

"Guess who."

Large cold hands fell over my eyes. Letting out a surprised squeal I took a step back and stumbled.

"Michael?!"

Michael's hands slid from my face and I turned around to face him.  Dressed in a leather black jacket, long ebony curls hung loosely framing his face and dark black aviator shades covered his eyes.  Michael raised his perfectly arched eyebrow and reached up to slide off his sunglasses.

"Is that all I get.." Michael teased, mimicking my voice.  "Michael?"

Shooting him a sharp glare I lightly shoved him in the arm.  Chuckling, Michael wrapped an arm around my shoulder and the buckles on his jacket jingled from the movement.

"How long have you been here?"

Michael jerked his shoulders cockily and leaned his head down to look at me.  

"Awhile."  A strand of hair fell against his forehead and he raised an eyebrow.  "Unlike some people I wasn't going to leave until i was able to see you."

Referring to my departure from last night, I let out an indigant squeal and lightly pushed him in the stomach. "You were in rehearsals for six hours and went straight into your performance afterwards!" I tilted my head back laughing.  "Your obsessed."

Michael's cocky grin turned sheepish, and he squeezed my shoulders. "I don't know what your talking about." He mumbled, putting his sunglasses back on.  

"Mmhmm." Changing the subject I nodded over to my trailer. How long are you staying? Do you have time to visit with me in the trailer for a little bit?

 I tossed my coat over my arm and looked at him expectantly.

"I don't know..." He grinned, biting his cheek.  "Is it big enough for two people?"

Rolling my eyes, I pushed him aside.  Michael's arm slid from around my shoulders and laughing, he ran to catch up with me as I started walking.

"It's a serious question!" He chuckled coming up behind me.

Michael loved to pester me about my tiny trailer since he had an entire bus to himself on tour.  Shooting him another fake glare Michael chuckled again and both of us wandered the back lots of the studio until we finally ended up in the trailers.  Walking past Jame's, we finally came up on mine.  The exterior painted a soft blue, I walked up a couple of stairs and pulled open the door.

The smell of my vanilla raisin reed diffuser hit me as soon as I stepped inside.  The room decorated in beige, yellows, and light blues I had a small loveseat, televison, and vanity.  Tossing my coat on a small coat rack near the door I adjusted my hair and plopped down on the velvet loveseat cushion.

Looking back over at Michael, his large frame looked out of place in the small room and I snickered when he bumped his head on the light fixture and let out a low grumble.

"This...place...is entirely too small."

"Or your too big..." I mumbled.  Michael came around to the other side.  Rolling his eyes Michael tossed my silver throw pillow at my head and I ducked, laughing.

Michael tugged at his coat, and as soon as he sank down in the cushions let out a tired sigh.  Looking over at him for the first time I noticed the black circles under his eyes.  Reaching up a hand up to brush a curl his from his eye I clucked my tongue affectionately and leaned over onto his chest.

"Are you still not sleeping?" I said softly, resting a hand on his jacket.  

"No...but i've got a doctor meeting me at my next tour stop."

Nodding my head, I hesitated.  "Just, please don't let them load you up with medications again..."

When i had met Michael, he had been drowning in a prescription addiction.  In the beginning it hadn't been his fault.  He had been horribly burned in a pepsi commercial take and the doctor's had put him on some seriously addictive medicine after his surgery.  The addiction though had taken a life of it's own and he had spiraled out of control.  Shuddering, the memories washed over me in waves and my stomach clenched tightly.

"I'm fine Katie.  I'm not going back down that road."

Michael's lips were drawn in a thin line.  I knew from looking at him, and the tone in his voice he didn't expect to get thrown back into that world again...but how could I not worry?  

I had already lost both of my parents...i didn't want to lose him too.

Both of them had died in a crash when I was sixteen.  Devastated, I had moved in with Aunt Liz and she had introduced me to Michael hoping that we could both help each other- him with my grief and me with his addictions.  She had been right, in a way we had saved one another which I think is one of the reasons we had come to rely so heavily on one another.  Him and Aunt Liz were everyone in the world that I had.  

I loved them both deeply.

"I don't want you to leave..."  I mumbled, reaching up to play with some of the chains on Michael's jacket.  Affectionately Michael kissed the top of my head and groaned.

"I know."

"You leave tomorrow?"

Michael didn't say anything, and i knew his silence meant I had been right.  Fear lodged in my heart, the same fear I felt every time he left.

One of these days he was going to forget you... My mind told myself.  Shaking my head slowly I forced the thought from my mind and blew between my teeth.

"I'll call you everyday."

Nudging him in the arm, I slid my head up to look at him and forced a smile.  "You better."

Michael and I sat quietly then, enjoying being together.  Closing my eyes, I felt Michael's long slender fingers run through my hair.  He continued doing this for several moments and the tension that had been locked into my shoulders and neck quickly faded leaving me totally relaxed.  I heard Michael's heartbeat against my ear and his steady breathing made me feel comforted.  Slowly letting my hand trail to his stomach I ran light circles with my fingertips.   

"I wish you could come with me..." Michael finally said softly, his fingers massaging my scalp.  Opening my eyes, I sighed and nodded in agreement.

"I finish filming this season in three weeks.  I'll fly over to see you then."

"Oh Dawson.....I love you.  Dawson, your EVERYTHING TO ME."

Michael started mimicking the character I played in the tv series and I giggled and lightly kicked his leg.  "Stop it."

"Dawson, HAVE MY BABY PLEASSSE!"

Michael's girlish squealing made me hide my face against his chest laughing.  Wrapping his arms around my waist I felt Michael lay another kiss on my head chuckling.

"Your ridiculous..." I mumbled, smiling.

"I'll miss you too."

End Notes:

Hey Guys :)

So this is the story I actually had planned to upload as soon as When I Look At You wrapped, but i've actually got a ton of ideas for this so i'm going to put it up now :)  Lemme know what you guys think.  <3 Leah

Chapter 2 by Leahluv21



A sharp tug at the back of my hair jerked me back sharply and I squinted in pain.  Reaching my arm up and gently touching the side of my head I let out a sigh of exasperation and glanced up in the mirror.

"Are we about done? I need to be on stage soon."

Grumpily I crossed my jean clad leg and shifted in the uncomfortable black canvas chair that kept me prisoner every morning.  Not the least bit concerned with my appearance, I found it a necessary evil that my job forced me to dress up like a Barbie doll everywhere that I went.  Currently in New York to promote the show, my makeup stylist had set up my small, portable makeup table and chair in a corner of a large room backstage for The View.  Letting out another grump of exasperation when I felt another sharp tug I peaked up at my hair and makeup stylist, Annya to see her unfazed.  Shooting her a cross look in the mirror I glanced down at the People magazine in my lap and roughly turned a page.

I wasn't going to get any empathy. She was used to my morning grumpiness. 

"Aanya?"

I crossed my arms across my soft blue cotton shirt.  Annya puckered her lips behind me and pulled another bobbi pin from her lip.  Waves of blonde hair billowed gently around her pale features. Her brow puckered, Annya's large crystal blue eyes studied my head intently checking for imperfections. 

"AANYA!"

In the process of twisting another section of my chestnut hair, Annya's long slender fingers halted and she glanced up at me in the mirror in exasperation.

"Katie, I HAVE to get this done.  What is it?"

I tossed the magazine on the table in front of me and the magazine landed on a black tube of mascara.  Giving Annya a frustrated scowl I repeated my question. "Are we almost done?"

Rolling her eyes, Annya glanced back down at me head and resumed her task.

"Another fifteen minutes, tops."

Satisified that I wasn't going to be stuck immobile for much longer, I resisted the urge to slouch in my chair and I pulled my Iphone from my pocket. Sliding my finger against the glass I quickly punched in my password and smiled when I saw Michael had sent me a text this morning from Japan.  Hitting the message icon in the top right corner my phone quickly pulled up Michael's name and I read the message.

Just landed.  Figured you'd want to know I wasn't swimming in the Atlantic.

He so knew me.  Every time Michael I was flying I was paranoid he was going to end up dead in a fiery crash.  Irrational, but I had a hard time with all of the traveling Michael and Aunt Liz did since they were all I had.

The message sent a couple of hours ago, I realized Michael had probably passed out asleep in his hotel room by now and I typed up a quick message and hit the lock button. Shifting slightly in my chair to push the phone back in my pocket a spray of hairspray hit me straight in the face and I lifted my hands in front me coughing.

"Are you trying to kill me?"

"Don't tempt me, grump."

Cracking a smile at Annya's retort, I glanced up at her as the midst cleared and saw her shoot me a wink.  This was how it was pretty much every morning.  The first couple of hours Annya was pulling me together we bickered and when she was finished we were totally cool.  Hopping out of the chair I spun around for Annya to do one final inspection.  Annya nodded her head in confirmation that I was done and I sighed in relief and reached forward to grab my microphone hook up from the table.

"Let me help you clip it on."

Annya's metallic gold stilettos clicked against the tan marble flooring and her long silver earrings reflected prisms of light against my shirt as she quickly shuffled behind me and hooked me up for the show.  Glancing in the mirror I tugged at my shirt a couple of times around the collar to straighten it and I glanced in resignation in the mirror. 

I was so awkward.

"Alright, all set." Annya's heels clicked against as she walked a circle around me and came to face me.  Pulling a strand of hair from her eyes Annya cocked her head to the side and looked at me questioningly.

"I'll see you at the station at one?"

Realizing she meant the radio station I was headed to after her I gave her a slight nod.

"Katie! We're ready for you over by the stage."

I mumbled a thanks to Annya, even though I still thought my morning ritual pointless, and I spun around and spotted the area I was supposed to head.  Several people running in different directions trying to get ready for the show to launch in a few minutes, I carefully dodged my way past them and self-consciously tucked my arms against my stomach.

"Katie, there you are darling, finally.  You look absolutely smashing."

Lilac scented perfume infused my senses as Sharon came into view and I smiled warmly.  Her hair dyed a dark auburn, Sharon Osborne's chic haircut framed her large expressive eyes.  Dressed in a red leather jacket and a black t-shirt, Sharon's dainty frame was complimented with the dark wash skinny jeans and black sandals she was wearing. 

"Thanks."

Sharon smiled at me again, and quickly explained some of the key points they were going to discuss.  Most of it related to the show and my character I Okayed all of the topics.

"Sharon, it's time."

Music began playing and the crowd began cheering as some of the other women on the show began taking their places at the table.  Sharon glanced over at the stage, and then shot me one final look of encouragement.

"You're going to do brilliantly darling, don't be nervous."

I was so transparent for an actress.

Blushing, I thanked her again.  Giving me a knowing smile Sharon walked onto the stage and the women settled at the table and began discussing the topics for today.

"And today we have with us a special guest.  Katie HOLMES is here today ya'll!"

From my angle behind the stage I glanced to the audience and I smiled seeing a few teenage girls light up with excitement.  Screams erupting from their seats in the second row, I made a mental note where they were sitting and glanced back to the stage.

The women made a few more comments and the show went to commercial.  Inhaling deeply a couple of times, I knew that I was on immediately following the break and I calmed my nerves.

Interviews were a lot more stressful for me than taping the show.  Being such an introverted person with people I didn't know well, it was a lot easier for me to pretend to be someone else when taping.

"We're back from commercial in 3......2.......1"

The crowd erupted in applause from the stands on stage and I glanced back to the large table sitting in the front of the room.  Cameras surrounding the ladies sitting at the table I mentally rehearsed each women's name as they made my introduction.

"KATIE TAYLOR!"

Cheering intensified and the cameras all swung to look at me.  Plastering a smile on my face I stepped up onto the stage, thankful for the flats I had on, and I walked across the room to the table.  All of them standing to greet me, I hugged each lady before settling into my chair.  Crossing my legs under the table I slid my hand into the black coffee mug's handle and I lifted the mug and took a sip.

"So good to see you Katie."

Swallowing the hot liquid I felt it trickle down my throat and I forced myself not to let out a groan of satisfaction.

Annya had refused to let me drink coffee this morning while she was doing my makeup.  

Glancing to the edge of the stage I saw Annya watching from where I had been a moment ago and I shot her a victorious smirk.  Rolling her eyes at my teasing, I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing and I glanced back over to Sara who had just spoken.  Sitting my mug down in front of me I forced myself to pay attention.

"So tell us about the show.  You're in your first season?"

Nodding my head, I carefully tucked a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Yes, that's correct.  The show's basically about a few kids experiencing adolescence together.  There's a lot of really good material that's going to come out of the next few episodes."

"Rumor has it that the first season has taken off so quickly your currently already in the process of shooting for season 2?"

Nodding my head again, I smiled.  "Yes, we began shooting last week. We we're just confirmed for next season a couple of weeks ago."

"So four shows on air and your already green lighted, that's amazing."

"Did any of you expect it to take off this quickly?"

The question coming from Sharon, I turned in my chair since I was sitting beside her and made eye contact.

"We definitely hoped, but it's amazing that things have happened this quickly.  We all feel really fortunate."

"Rumor has it your dating your co-star Joshua Jackson?"

Shaking my head no emphatically, I blushed and reached for my mug. "Definitely not, just friends."  I quickly denied raising the mug to take a sip.

"That's not what I heard. I heard you were dating that gorgeous friend of yours Michael Jackson."

My mouth full of coffee, I glanced over at Whoopee Goldberg as the coy statement flew from her lips. Coffee went flying from my mouth in surprise.  Covering my mouth with my free hand I dropped my mug on the table and clumsily overturned it.  I watched in horror as the coffee buzzed across the table and spattered against the notecards placed on the table.

"We'll be RIGHT back with Katie right after this."
The show instantly went to commercial and panic erupted from around the table as all of the other ladies interviewing me jumped up.  Makeup personal for each person came running on stage trying to blot the coffee that had spilled over the edge of the table and I stood back a couple of feet and watched the scene play out. 

"Katie?"

Spinning around to see Annya staring at me with an amused look on her face I shot her a look.

"Don't even say it."
_____________________________________________________________________________

Michael's POV (part two)

Sleep eluded me after the long plane ride and I glanced across the room and looked at the clock.

9:00 AM

I had only been in bed three hours.  

Glancing up at the ceiling in exasperation I tugged my blanket down to my waist and sat up in bed.  

The first day of my tour.

My stomach clenched up in nervous energy and mentally I ran through my checklist of things to do today.  Realizing it was probably a good thing that I was up with so much to do I tossed my legs over the side of the bed and I stared out the large window.Downtown Tokyo buzzed beneath the beaming glare of the sun, and cars zipped down the busy streets. Getting up from the bed I walked closer to the window and I stood at the ledge.  The city, so tiny looking from the view of the hotel penthouse, brimmed with life below and I saw a multitude of Japanese fans and press beneath. 


 I pressed my head up to the glass so they could see me, and shot them a wave and a quick smile.  Even from my window I could hear the muted proof of their screams and I quickly dropped the blinds and moved away from the window so I wouldn't disturb the other guests.  Spinning back around I looked at my room and noted how lonely it felt with no one else around.  Deciding to check and see if Katie had gotten my text earlier I crossed the room and grabbed my cell phone on top of the mahogany dresser by the door.  

Quickly I typed in the password and the conversation window between Katie and I popped up immediately.

"Glad to hear it.  That would have been BAD."

I rolled my eyes at the cheesy comment and shot back a reply.

Almost as BAD as that joke. 

I tossed the phone on the bed and headed into the bathroom to take a shower.  The cold marble floor felt cool against my bare feet and I shivered crossing the bathroom to the large glass shower.  Sliding the door open I leaned inside and flipped the water on.  

Water came gushing out of the large shower head and I leaned out and quickly tugged off my white shirt.  Tossing it on the ground I walked over to the mirror and grabbed the bottle of body wash I had packed.  I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and I winced seeing all of the discolored blotches on my chest.  

You're such a loser.  If your fans ever saw you this way...

Quickly looking away, I swallowed back a lump in my throat and tossed my blue and grey checkered bottoms over by the wall.  I waited a couple of minutes for the shower to warm up and then stepped in.  The water felt good against my tired muscles and cramped limbs.  Letting the water relax me I quickly washed my body so I wouldn't have to look at myself long and I turned off the water and stepped out.  Large, white fluffy towels stacked on a shelf a few inches away I quickly dried off and wrapped one around my waist.

Warm, moist air hung in the air.  My bedroom and bathroom adjacent in the large suite,  I walked back out into the large green and white room and headed back over to the bed.

"Where's the remote?" I mumbled, looking over the nightstand.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw my phone light up on the bed next to me.  The remote forgotten I saw Katie's name light up on the caller ID and I plopped myself down on the bed and picked up the phone to answer it.

"Hey Katy-Did what's up?"

I settled my head back against the pillows and placed my arms behind my neck.  Long strands of hair clung to my face and neck and I set the phone down on the pillow next to my ear and pulled it off my shoulders while Katie talked.

"I'm moving to Africa." She groaned, letting out an exasperated sigh.  "I've always wanted to live near Kangaroos."

 I crossed my arms behind my head again and leaned back. "Katie..." I started, choking back a chuckle "Kangaroos are in Australia." 

The line went silent and I waited for her to speak again.

"I'm hopeless."

"No...." I teased softly, chuckling.  "You're a dork." 

"....Did you see it yet?"

My eyes roamed over the mess of clothes I had tossed in the floor last night in my exhausted attempt to get ready for bed and my brow furrowed in confusion at her question.

"See what?"

"...turn on the tv."

I glanced up at the ceiling and chuckled.

"Katie, I'm in Japan remember? I doubt whatever you're talking about is on television here."

"Trust me.  Turn it on."

Shrugging my shoulders, I glanced over at the end table again and looked for the remote.  Seeing it tucked between the lamp and the wall I grabbed it and flipped on the tv.

"What exactly am I looking for?"

"A news station."

"It's going to be in Japanese."

I heard her sigh on the other end of the line again in exasperation, and I chuckled.

"Just watch it."

"Just watch it" I mimicked playfully. 

Katie ignored me, and I flipped through the stations until I saw a reporter talking.  Seeing my name mixed in with a bunch of Japanese words I cocked an eyebrow.

"What's the big deal? It looks like just coverage for the tour."

"Umm, or not."

Sighing, I stayed quiet and tried to make sense of what they were saying.  Not making any progress, I reached for the remote to shut it off when they began playing a video and I saw Katie pop up on the screen.

The screen panned in on Katie taking a sip of coffee.

"That's not what I heard.  I heard that you were in a relationship with Michael Jackson."

The cameras swung back to Katie, and I watched coffee spew from her mouth all over the table.  My eyes wide in amazement, the remote dropped from my hands and I watched as the scene grew increasingly worse when Katie dumped a mug of coffee all over the table.

"....Did they show it yet?"

Recognizing that I probably shouldn't laugh into the phone and make her feel worse, I fumbled with my phone, muted it, and erupted in a fit of giggles. 

".....Michael I know you muted the phone.  Seriously just unmute it and talk to me."

Tears spilled down my cheeks from laughter, and I sucked in huge gasps of air a couple of times to try and calm myself down as I hit the unmute button.

"It's not funny" She whined into the phone, her voice muffled.  "Two days from now they are going to be saying that we are in a secret love affair and I'm pregnant with your triplets."

"That wouldn't be so bad." I teased, choking back more laughter.  "You know you've always wanted little Michael's.  Maybe then they'll give you a bigger trailer."

"MICHAEL."

"With a bigger window."

"JOSEPH"

Barely restraining my laughter, I laid a hand on my chest and grinned cheekily. "...and a pull out bed.  To make more little Michaels."

"I hate you."

"There's a thin line between love and hate."

"No....there's just hate."

Rolling my eyes to the ceiling, I chuckled knowing she was teasing.

"Then why are you still talking to me?"

"Child support. I'm going to need some help with the little Michael's I'm apparently "pregnant" with."

Both of us grew quiet for a minute, and then exploded in laughter.

"You realize, if someone ever heard one of these conversations they would think we were serious right?"

"My bodyguard is in here.  ...He already knows I'm warped though."

"He should by now.  He's been with you, what, a week now?"

I heard Katie's chuckle on the other end of the line, and I smiled happy that I had taken her mind of what had happened this morning.  Closing my eyes, I relaxed against the soft mattress.

"Michael?"

"Mmm?" 

"Thanks for making me feel better."

End Notes:

Hey Guys :)

This is the first part of this chapter.  I'm going to upload the rest in a little bit.  College has been CRAZY so it's been awhile since I updated :S Sorry about that guys. 

<3 Leah

Chapter 3 by Leahluv21

 
Katie and Josh on set

"Katie! We need you on set in ten minutes.  We're going to reshoot the last half of that scene."

A warm breeze blew easily on the back lot and sunlight cascaded between the large, grey steel buildings.  Looking up at the sky, I watched bright puffy clouds sprinkled against the perfect blue sky float leisurely along the Southern California horizon.  Inhaling a deep breath, I soaked in a bit of the calm and I closed my eyes, nodding my head in acknowledgement.

"Okay, thanks."

I leaned back against the building and wrapped my arms around my waist.  Standing outside the studio to get a bit of air, I lifted my Evian bottle to my lips and took a sip.  The cool water flowed over my tongue down my throat, and I relished the small relief from the heat. 

Only two more weeks of this and we would wrap for mid-season break.

Opening my eyes, I slid my sunglasses down.  A few yards away from me a golf cart stopped and an assistant for a show being taped in a building nearby scampered off the cart's tan leather seat.  Dressed in a pair of light wash shorts and a yellow tank her emerald green eyes were wide and frantic and strands of black hair escaped her half-hazard pony tail as she picked up a brown paper sack and a tray of coffees.   Watching her rush inside, my eyes roamed over the building curiously and I smiled and nodded my head when a set director I had spoken to a couple days ago rounded the corner of the building to go inside. 

"Hey there beautiful."

A soft voice drifted above the puttering of another golf cart and glancing to my right I saw it was Josh.  Thick waves of brown hair fell against his forehead, and lines of exhaustion laced his pale features.  Shooting him a small wave I lifted my sunglasses and placed them on top of my head as he came to stand beside me.

"Hey..."  I half-smiled, watching him stop and lean up against the building.

Joshua's head tilted back, and his tan leather jacket brushed against my arm as he lifted it above his head and casually draped it over my shoulder.

"Out here trying to catch a break from the insanity?"

Referring to our grueling eighteen hour schedule during production, I groaned and bumped my head against the wall lightly.

"I didn't even know it was possible to be this tired..."

Joshua's stomach rumbled from his soft chuckle and I reached up and brushed a strand of hair away from my face.  "We're almost there...when we wrap production for the winter we won't have to deal with it for a while."

"I still think it's ridiculous they pushed us to film so quickly."

He shrugged his shoulders.  "At least the ratings are high enough to warrant it.  It's insane it's taken off so quickly."

"Yeah...I just wish..."  My thoughts drifted to Michael, and my heart ached thinking about how busy we had both been.  It was always like this the first couple of months he was touring, but I still had a difficult time since he was terrible about checking in while he was away.  It was hard having a best friend that you could only talk to sporadically. My schedule had made it even more impossible than normal and I was definitely feeling the pang of missing him. Biting the inside of my cheek, I inhaled a sharp breath and forced my thoughts away from him.

"Wish what?"

Josh's voice startled me from my thoughts, and my heart pounded heavily in my chest.  Being a very introverted person, I had a difficult time opening up with people I didn't know extremely well.  Being the niece of Elizabeth Taylor had made me extra cautious of people even before the limelight had influenced my relationships or my parents had passed.  It was hard to let people in because you were never really sure if they cared or wanted something to leak to tabloids.  Only knowing Josh for a couple of months, I liked him but still struggled with talking about things that bothered me.  "I don't know... I'm just tired I think."

Both of us got quiet for a moment and I bit the corner of my lip and glanced over at him.  Dark chocolate brown eyes stared back at me, and my breath hitched in my throat. 

When was I going to stop being so awkward around everyone?    Michael thought it was hilarious how awkward I got when I was nervous.  Hence the debacle on The Talk a few weeks back.  But I was mortified making conversation with people I wasn't comfortable with.  I was pretty sure that's how I'd found my love of acting.  I felt a lot more comfortable in someone else's skin.

Hesitantly I looked back over at Josh and saw him studying me. Nervously my breath hitched in my throat and Josh grinned and shot me a wink. My gaze quickly dropped down to the ground and I felt my cheeks tinge with embarrassment.

"You're cute when you blush."

Joshua's voice bequeathed his amusement, and my blush deepened studying my shoes. 

"Thanks..."
__________________________________________________________________________________


Michael's POV

The days were beginning to run together.

A small yawn escaped my lips, and I laid my pen on the table to reach up and cover my mouth.  It was hard to believe I was only a couple of weeks into my tour.  Exhaustion covered my features, and my hand felt shaky trying to pen the stack of autographs the radio station I had just finished an interview for had asked me to sign for contest give aways.   Currently about nine a clock in the morning, the strain of the performances, rehearsals, and other public appearances from the days before were finally starting to weigh on me and I was having a hard time focusing long enough to finish up so I could head back to the hotel for a couple of hours and try to sleep.

 Had I even been to bed since day before yesterday?  I couldn't remember the last time I slept.

 Shaking my head slightly, I tried to shake off the exhaustion and reminded myself of the fans I'd disappoint if I didn't pull myself together.  Hearing the chatter of my bodyguards in the next room, I reached for another album and picked up my pen again.

Quickly I scribbled down my name and added it to the pile of finished albums. 

Heaving a heavy sigh, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket but I ignored it and reached for another album.  My neck ached terribly, probably a result of stress, but I ignored the pangs and made my way through the pile.  Everything began to blur, moving albums from one pile to the next, and when I finished I laid the pen down on the table and glanced over to the doorway.

"I'm ready to go."

My bodyguard's conversation halted, and both of them rose to their feet.  Tony, a tall Hispanic man with a thick black ponytail, grabbed his walky talky from the pocket of his crisp black suit and began making arrangements to pull the car around to the back.  Another yawn escaped my lips, and I was barely aware of what was happening as they ushered me out of the room, down a hall, and out the back door to the waiting car.  Keeping my head down I heard fans screaming in front of the building and I quickly got into the car and leaned my head back against the seat.  Laying my head back against the soft leather, I closed my eyes and fought sleep rocking back and forth with the motion of the limo.

"Mr. Jackson...we're here."

My eyes fluttered open, and when my eyes adjusted to the light I stared in surprise at the open limo door.

"Thanks..."

I must have fallen asleep after all...

Reaching up to rub my face, I shook my head to clear the fuzziness and glanced at the open door.  Knowing I needed to move quickly with the swarms of people surrounding the hotel, I slid out of the limo and let my security lead me in through a small alleyway and into the hotel kitchen.  Dodging stainless steel cabinets and counters, I barely saw the other workers and the bright white walls.  Stopping right outside the kitchen my security team and I waited until the service elevator opened in front of us and all of us loaded up.  Stepping into the elevator the smell of bleach hit my senses and I blanched.   Reaching up I ran a hand through my hair and the doors to the elevator closed. 

The elevator felt cramped, even with only the three of us inside it, and I breathed a sigh of relief when the doors opened up inside my penthouse.  The elevator leading directly into the living room, I walked past the beige sofa and love seat and pool table and headed straight for the bedroom I was sleeping in.  The door left open, I saw the large kind bed in the middle of the room.  Red silk sheets still laid exposed and my blankets crumpled at the edge of the bed from the last time I had been back.  Not trusting maid service at any of the hotels I traveled too after several breaches of security I typically requested no one in the room I wasn't familiar with and I was happy to see that my request had been honored.

Pulling my t-shirt over my head I dropped into bed and heaved a sigh of relief being alone.  My temples throbbed, and I reached up and gently applied some pressure when my cell phone vibrated again. 

Stifling another yawn I reached in my pocket and grimaced seeing I had missed another call from Katie.  This was the seventh consecutive day I hadn't talked to her.  

It wasn't that I didn't want to.  My schedule was just out of control.

I had a habit of disappearing on tour due to the enormous amount of pressure.  I had a feeling the duration of this one would be worse considering the mammoth size of it.  It was such a large responsibility trying to not disappoint fans, having so many people employed under me on tour expecting my full attention. 

Responsibilities left no time for a life the several months I was gone. 

Still, I missed her. A lot.

Smiling I thought about the last time I'd talked to Katie.  She had been so panicked about the interview thing.  The truth was, I wasn't terribly surprised it had happened.  Fairly new to the promotional tour thing, Katie was awkward enough it was going to take her some time to adjust.  She had a habit of being intensely clumsy when she was nervous.

Releasing a sigh I sat my phone down next to me and made a mental note to try and find time sometime soon to call her back and check in.

Right now, I was just too tired.    

Chapter 4 by Leahluv21
Author's Notes:

Glasses clinked in the background, and a steady hum of chatter filled the small French bistro.  Lights dimmed low, it felt much more like evening than afternoon in the amber lit room.  Small flickering candles centered on the ivory tablecloths, speckles of light shone among the circular tables and the crystal chandeliers hanging on the vaulted ceiling left dainty prisms of light glittering above.  Taking a small stab from my salad, I lifted my fork in the air and took a bite.   Having lunch with my aunt, both of us had been talking about the success Michael was having on tour.  Once again, the longing to see and talk to him stirred up within me and I felt hollow. 

Three weeks.

Michael and I had only spoke once in the entire time he had been gone, and the fear I had about becoming irrelevant to him had grown in the last couple of weeks since I hadn't heard from him.  I was really nervous about seeing him tomorrow.

"So darling you fly out tomorrow?"

Aunt Liz's soft voice broke me from my thoughts.  Her violet eyes framed by her waves of thick ebony hair, Aunt Liz raised a perfectly arched eyebrow questioningly and placed a bite of salad in her mouth.  Biting the inside of my cheek, I nodded.

"Yeah."

Her eyes bore into me knowingly. "He misses you Katie."

A cool breeze whipped through the restaurant and a chill coursed down my spine.  Wrapping my arms around my body I shrugged my shoulders in an attempt to look nonchalant.  "I'm okay."

Aunt Liz's eyes softened, and laying her fork down on the table she reached her weathered hand over the bouquet of lilacs intermingled with candles and placed her hand under my chin.

"Not everyone in your life is going to disappear.  I know it feels that way with all that you've been through.  But it's not true."

Her eyes bore into mine with each word she emphasized, and a bit of the fear binding my heart lessened hearing the soft reassurance.  Giving her a small smile, her eyes brightened seeing I felt a little bit better with the encouragement and she slipped her hand back across the table and picked up her fork again.

"So tell me more about your show."

Reaching for my crystal water goblet I took a sip of water and launched into a few details from the last couple of weeks.


"Well...we're finished shooting for another couple of months...."

______________________________________________________________________________

The Next Day

"Mr. Jackson apologizes, but he got held up in rehearsals.  He said to take you to the hotel suite and he'd meet you there in a few hours."

Disappointment swelled in my chest, but I lifted my chin in the air and smiled brightly.  Turning on her heel, Michael's assistant was dressed in a sage pencil skirt and cream colored V-neck and I followed behind her.  In a private area of the airport, the empty room echoed with the sound of my rolling luggage as my security and I followed down a shortened corridor.  Sliding my sunglasses over my eyes I was thankful that I had dressed in a pair of jeans, a black cable knit sweater, and had pulled my hair up in a ponytail beneath a baseball cap when we stepped outside.  People swarming the taxi curb, I swiftly made my way to the black stretch limo without interruption and I breathed a sigh of relief when the driver took my suitcases from me and opened the door to let me inside.

Soft music playing, I slid inside and mouthed a quick thank you to the chauffer.  Leaning my head back against the soft leather padding I slipped my sandals off and glanced towards the window.  Even through the tinted glass I could see a few curious people shooting looks at the limo trying to figure out who was inside.  Smiling to myself I watched a little girl, probably about three, release her mom's hand and bend down to pick up a quarter off the pavement.  Long strands of her blonde hair blowing gently in the fall breeze, her fingers grazed the pavement for only a second before her mom bent down, picked her up, and hurried off towards the luggage check.

The side to the limo opened again and Michael's assistant climbed in and sat down across from me.  Long red hair pushed back in a clip, emerald green eyes stared back at me curiously and I gave her a small smile.

"How long are you here for?"  She questioned, placing her metallic gold purse at her side. 

"A couple of weeks."

She nodded, like my answer didn't faze her but I saw a hint of alarm in her eyes.  Afraid I knew what that probably meant, I stared at her for moment and posed my next question in dread.

"He did plan a couple of days off while I was here... right?"

Uncomfortably she shifted against the seat and her gaze shifted down to her lap.

"I....."

"Don't even bother answering."  I waved my hand in the air dismissively and glanced back towards the window.  "I figured."  Annoyed, my eyes flashed back to the window.  Rain drops began sprinkling against the glass as the car pulled from the curb and I watched them patter melodically against the window pane, wondering why I had even bothered coming.

"He's really busy."

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes and kept my tone level. "He always is."

"He said he really would meet you tonight after rehearsals."

"The fact he had to say that to you proves my point." 

I was usually pretty understanding when Michael was on tour, but for some reason his neglect the last few weeks was eating away at me more than usual.  I wasn't a clingy person, but he was all that I could think about. I missed his laugh, his smile, the way his eyes gleamed mischievously back at me when we were bantering. 

Okay, seriously what was wrong with me?

I tossed my ball cap off my head and pulled out my ponytail.  Running my fingers through clumps of hair nervously I tried to get my thoughts away from Michael, but for some reason my mind wouldn't switch gears and I continued to wonder why my thoughts kept circling back.  

Images of Michael's mocha brown eyes floated into my subconscious....

Was it that I was scared Michael would disappear from my life? ....I had a feeling there was more going on than that.

Confusion enveloped me, and I released a sigh.  Both of us rode in silence for the remainder of the ride and when we reached the hotel I heard the long screams from Michael's fans  lining the streets.  The limo sneaked through the crowd, to a parking garage hedged with tall security gates and we pulled up against the curb of the private entrance.  I slipped my shoes on and the chauffer came around and opened the door as I looped my arm through my purse handles. 

I waited for his assistant to scoot out and then followed behind.  The parking garage felt cool even with my sweater on and I shivered and watched one of my bodyguards that had followed behind the limo in a car accept my bags from the chauffer.  Not really bringing much with me, it only took a moment for the exchange to happen and I thanked them both as we turned and headed into the hotel entrance.  Located in an isolated corridor separate from the lobby, white wash walls were sparsely decorated with black oval and square mirrors and two tall metallic white vases sat perched at both edges of the grey elevator doors.  We moved in a group towards the entrance, and the wheels of my luggage plunked against the grout of the black tile floors.  

"What level am I on?"   I turned to look at Ellie questioningly.  She pressed the elevator button and looked at me.  "Your in the penthouse, with Michael."

I nodded my head, relieved at least that he had planned for us to at least be together in the evenings.  The elevators door opened and we all got in.  The doors closed and we all waited until the doors reopened to the living area of the large suite.  The last one out, I inhaled the scent of flowers and glanced to my left to see dozens of flower arrangements, stuffed animals, and cards piled up on a large mahogany buffet table situated beneath a large oil painting as I stepped out.  I smiled, seeing the pile of stuff that must have arrived from fans.

Michael always kept what they sent as long as they could.   It helped him with his insecurities.

I glanced away from the table and gazed over the room.  The living area as large as my entire condo, a plush white leather sectional sat perched on a large orange area rug in front of an entire wall made of glass.    I stepped into the room and saw a large black marble fireplace roaring near an elegant white baby grand piano.   I sat my bags down on the ground and walked to the couch.  Plopping down, I sunk into the plush cushions and I laid down and rested my head on the arm rest.

"Katy-did..."

My head felt heavy, and my eyes fluttered open.

Wait? I had fallen asleep?

Reaching up stretch above my head, I let out a small yawn and my eyes widened in surprise seeing Michael on his knees in the floor directly in front of me.  His dark brown curls framing his face, lines of exhaustion lined his features and a couple beads of sweat glistened against his forehead.  Giving me a smile Michael brushed his hand against my cheek and my heart fluttered my chest.

"Hey there sleepyhead..."  Michael chuckled softly.

Inwardly groaning at how I must look, I shot him a small smile and the irritation I felt earlier disappeared as he leaned forward and brushed a kiss against my cheek.

"What time is it?" I mumbled, still trying to wake up.

The lights dimmed above us, I peaked behind us and saw no one else around.  My eyes switched back to Michael and he winced and leaned his forehead against mine.  "Late.  I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet your plane..."

His voice laced with regret, my heart melted seeing the apologetic look in his eyes and the tired strain in his features.  Strands of his hair tickling against my cheeks, I reached down to grasp his hand and gently tugged.

"You're here now."

Without a word I pulled Michael toward me and he laid down on the couch with me and wrapped his arms around my waist.  Snuggling up against him, my heart pounded heavily feeling his body mesh with mine and I relished him being so near despite the smell of sweat lingering on his skin.


"You stink...." I murmured teasingly.

"I missed you too."  He retorted sarcastically.

Michael's words stirred up the fear I had lodged in my heart for the past couple of weeks and I looked at him uncertainly.  Noticing the change in my demeanor, Michael searched my face questioningly.

"Katie? What's wrong?"

Not wanting to discuss it, I pressed my head against his chest and closed my eyes.

"Nothing."

"....Katie?"

Stubbornly I kept quiet and I felt him slide his head off mine and him lift my chin.

"Katie, open your eyes and tell me what's going on."

Releasing a sigh, I knew he wasn't going to let it go and I opened my eyes and looked at him.   Searching my face in concern Michael tenderly brushed a strand of hair away from my eyes with his other hand and waited for me to answer.

"You....I don't know....didn't call and it was whatever.  I just...."

Michael, knowing me as well as he did, was able to understand what I was saying even with the rambling and he pressed my head back against his chest and laid his head on top of mine again.

"Katie, I'm not going anywhere."

His words were spoken with conviction and I tilted my head up against his chest and looked up at him.  "Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"....Me either."    

Chapter 5 by Leahluv21
Author's Notes:





Michael's POV

Sunlight filtered in the large windows behind Katie and I on the couch and I squinted and let my eyes adjust to the light.

It couldn't be morning already.


Yawning, I covered my mouth with my hand and watched her sleep.  Curled up against my chest, a light snored escaped her nose and I chuckled softly as she slipped a hand under her head.  Still sound asleep, Katie shifted against me and nestled her head closer to my chest. Long strands of dark chestnut hair was scattered messily across the back of my arm and long ebony lashes framed her eyes.  My heart overturning with affection, I reached up and brushed a finger gently across her cheek.  Her skin velvety soft, I soaked in the contours of her face and the deep, red blush of her lips.

She was the most naturally beautiful women I'd ever seen.


Up most of the night talking, my mind replayed the end of the conversation we had last night and my heart turned painfully in my chest as I remembered hearing the longing in her voice last night when we had talked about her parents.

She'd lost them both so young.


Angrily I recalled a recent conversation Liz and I had about Katie's childhood and teen years.  It was true that Katie's parent's death had been the triggering factor in her grief, but in my opinion it had merely been the last straw.    Katie's awkwardness had made her the target of a lot of intense bullying at the private school her parents had enrolled her in.  Not to mention the ones she had trusted that had only been out to glean information about Liz.  Way before her parents had died Katie had felt alone and vulnerable.  Like her differences made her deficient.

It was a feeling I knew all too well.


My eyes closed painfully and the mental abuse I had experienced from my dad and the fake people I had encountered surfaced. I understood what it felt like to feel alone....different.
It broke my heart to know someone I loved so much had experienced such a rough upbringing.  She struggled with trusting, and most people would never understand how worth getting to know she was because she'd never let them in.

I had to get better at calling her when I was gone so she'd know how much I loved her.  How much I needed her. She was the best friend I'd ever had.  I just at times did a terrible job of letting her know that.

Sighing, I knew I had better get up and get ready.  Deciding to let her sleep I carefully slid my arm out from behind her head and pulled my other arm out from beneath her waist.  Getting off the couch I stood and watched her for a minute.

My heart pounded in my chest seeing her unconsciously adjust to my absence and out of nowhere I had the sudden urge to pull her back in my arms and hold her.  Shaking my head, I chalked up the desire to how much I missed her the last couple of weeks and I turned to get ready.

Unfortunately, it was going to be a really busy day.
______________________________________________________________________________

Katie's POV

Something tickled my nose, and I reached up to brush whatever it was off as my eyes fluttered open.  Releasing a loud yawn, I blinked a couple of times and realized that I was still on the couch.  Dejectedly, I saw that Michael had apparently already left this morning and I pressed my hand against the leather cushion and pushed myself up.  Pulling my hair back in my hands, I tried to remember where Michael had said he was going this morning.  I glanced across the room at a digital clock sitting beneath a gold lampstand with a black shade. 

Ten a clock.  Wasn't he doing a sound check for his concert tonight or something?

My purse sitting at the edge of the couch, I reached down and grabbed my cell phone out of it.  I leaned back against the cushions and pulled up my contacts.  Seeing Ella's number, Michael's assistant, I shot her a quick text and waited until she replied back.

I was right.  He was downtown at the arena.

Deciding to pull myself together so that I could head downtown and surprise him I hopped off the couch and walked over to my suitcases.  Unzipping the gold zipper, I sorted through my clothes until I found a pair of jeans and a ribbed tank top. 

Where was the bathroom?

Straightening, I glanced around the large room and spotted a hallway on the other side of the large kitchen area.  Grabbing my stuff I headed across the room and down the hallway and peered in each room until I stumbled across the bathroom. 

Which, of course, was huge.

My eyes roamed the speckled tan, white, and black tile sprinkled along the interior of the shower and the exterior of the smooth granite countertop and circular bathtub.  Soft recess lighting above each station, I laid my clothes down next to the large bowl sink and turned behind me to face the large glass shower.  Peeling my clothes off, I kicked them behind me and reached forward to pull open the shower door. 

The metal felt cool beneath my fingertips, and I frowned when I tried to pull it open and it didn't budge.  Jerking it harder, I let out a scream when the door jerked open quickly this time and knocked me off balance.  Quickly trying to right myself before I fell, I reached back and grabbed the counter and managed to keep myself from toppling into the floor.

Thank God. I breathed, imagining the conversation I'd have to have with Michael if I ended up with a huge bruise on my face. 

That would have been mortifying.

"Is everything okay?"

My bodyguard's deep voice rumbled from the doorway, and my head whipped around just in time to see him walk around the corner and stop in the exposed doorway.  Shrieking my hands quickly tried to shield my exposed body from his view and he coughed abruptly and whipped around to face the other way.

"I-I'm so sorry Miss Taylor.  I heard you scream and I thought...."

Blowing a strand of hair from my face, I could feel a blush rising in my face and I reached over to the sink and grabbed my shirt.  Laying it in front of me I crouched down so I'd be completely covered and I opened my mouth a couple of times and tried to form a sentence.

"It was slippery." I finally spit out. 

Brilliant.  Way to make things less awkward.

My bodyguard let out another awkward cough and rubbed his neck nervously. 

"Right.....well if you need any help the next time."

Help the next time I what?  Slipped naked trying to get in the shower? I was pretty sure I'd rather sit in the middle of the floor with a broken ankle for the two weeks it would take to heal than call him in if I had any trouble again.

Releasing a nervous laugh, I quickly hopped in the shower and watched him from behind the glass quickly shut the bathroom door.  Moaning, I tapped my head against the glass.
____________________________________________________________________________

Two Hours Later
Katie's POV


Michael's slender physique was visible on stage even from the large double door entrance.  Watching him interact with his guitar players for a moment, I smiled when he glanced over where I was out of the corner of his eye and shot me a wink.

My stomach flipped in a knot.

Inhaling a deep breath, I tried to put my embarrassment from this morning behind me and I walked down the long aisles of Osaka stadium.  Currently empty of anyone but those employed with the tour, I knew in a matter of hours the entire arena would be filled to capacity with fans screaming from excitement at his magical performance.

I stopped in the front row and settled into a chair.  Laying my large orange ostrich leather purse in the seat next to me I looked back up at the stage and saw Michael was all business again trying to get things ready for tonight. 

"Miss Taylor....?"  My body guard's flustered voice turned my attention away from the stage and I blushed again and looked down to my lap.  "Yes" I mumbled, picking at my nails.

"Do you need anything? If not, I'll be over here."   Shaking my head no, I saw him shuffle away out of the corner of my eye and I slunk deeper in my chair miserably embarrassed.

If it was possible to die of embarrassment, today would have been my expiration date.

Music started up from the stage, and keeping my eyes locked straight ahead I looked up and watched Michael take the center of the stage.  Dressed in a pair of black slacks, a white t-shirt and a blue over shirt Michael's long curls were half clasped behind his head and half loose.  I watched him, mesmerized as his long slender fingers reached for the microphone. Closing his eyes, Michael soulfully ran through a couple of songs.    Lyrics sang with sincerity and passion, watching Michael perform was something incomparable to any other experience and it was as intoxicating hundreds of times later as it was the very first experience.  

The music stopped, and Michael stepped back from the microphone and rubbed a hand on the back of his neck.  "Something's off Tony.  I'd like to run through Smooth Criminal again, please."

The stage erupted in motion, and Michael's brow furrowed in concentration as a stage hand brought his fedora out and placed it on his head.  I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.  He was such a perfectionist.  There really wasn't a need to run through any of them once, let alone multiple times.  Michael had the routines down and could do them in his sleep.

This pattern continued for a couple of hours- Michael running through routines, and then rerunning routines.  Finally at about one a clock Michael called for everyone to head out for lunch.  His eyes swinging over in my direction, Michael gave me a smile and walked towards me on the stage.  Grasping a bottle of water and a towel,  Michael glistened with sweat and his shirt clung to his chest.  Bending down, Michael gave me a cheeky grin.

My eyes widened and then narrowed warningly recognizing his game.  "Michael, no."

Michael took a taunting step closer to the edge of the stage and lifted a perfectly arched eyebrow.  "Michael...." I warned again, putting my legs up in the seat. 

A slow evil grin spread across his face, and I let out a shriek and shielded my face as water came spouting from his water bottle across my face and down my legs.  Droplets of water cascaded down my cheeks, and I glanced up and glared at him as water trickled down from my scalp.

"What?" He asked "innocently", trying not to chortle.  "You looked hot."

"Michael Joseph JACKSON."

Michael's eyes teasingly glistened from above me, and he dropped his empty water bottle down next to him and hopped down from the stage.  Crossing my arms across my chest I glared at him.

"I'm soaked now."

Still trying not to giggle, Michael stood and took a step closer to me.

"Come on Katy-did...."

"I didn't deserve it.  I don't fling water at you."

"No, you throw coffee."

Oh. I was going to kill him.

Hopping out of my chair, Michael's eyes widened seeing the challenging glint in my eyes and he turned on his heel and took off running.  Sliding a bit from the water on the floor, hair flung in my face and my sandals slipped against the slick floor. Glancing over a couple aisles Michael's blue over shirt billowed behind him as he weaved in and out of the aisles, and I could hear his gleeful giggles as I took a giant step forward, slipped, and fell backwards against the seat.

"Oomph."

My hands landed in the tiny puddle, and my rear smarted from the contact.   Letting out a small grunt of frustration, I looked up and saw Michael approaching.  His eyes roaming over me in apprehensive concern, Michael stopped a few paces away and looked me over.

"You alright, crash?"

An idea came to me.  Resisting the urge to roll my eyes and fire back a sharp retort I blinked rapidly in an attempt to look like I was holding back tears and I lifted my wrist limply.

"I think I may have sprained it" I sniffled, forcing a tear down my cheek.

Not moving, Michael's eyes studied me warily.  "Really?"

Biting my lip, I faked a hiccup and forced another tear.

Studying me a little bit longer, Michael's eyes finally softened and he closed the distance between us.  Getting down on his knees Michael looked me over carefully and then reached for my wrist.

"Let me see it.....maybe my doctor can-"

Not waiting for him to finish his sentence, I pounced on top of him.   His eyes flying open incredulously, his white undershirt riding up and exposing his abdomen, and I let out a loud giggle seeing the look on his face.  Locking his waist between my legs I began tickling him.

"You FAKED an INJURY?"  Michael guffawed from the ground, laughter erupting from his stomach.  Dodging my hands, Michael squirmed back and forth on the ground beneath me and snaked his hands around my waist

I shot him a victorious grin, not the least bit apologetic and continued my assault "Yep."

In one fluid moment Michael picked me up off his stomach and flipped us around.  I shrieked in surprise as his body flew over top of me and Michael's eyes gleamed mischievously as he locked his legs tightly against my sides.

"This isn't fair" I whined, laughter twinkling in my eyes.  Michael, lowering his head until it was almost touching mine, had the same laughter reflecting in his own features and mimicked me playfully.

"This isn't fair" he cried in a girlish voice.

Laughter finally bubbling over at his antics, I let the laughter I had been holding in slip again and both of us got lost in the moment, relishing the silliness we experienced together.  Tangled together in the floor, Michael collapsed against me in a fit of giggles and I wrapped my arms around his waist and sunk my head in his shirt.  We stayed like this for several moments, giggling and enjoying one another, until he finally pulled me closer to him and shook his head.

"Your crazy..." He mumbled against my ear, still chuckling.

Michael's hair tickled against my neck, and I felt the soft, slightly damp tendrils against my fingertips as I gently pushed them back behind his ear and looked up at him.  My breathing slowed, and the teasing from a few moments ago forgotten I stared into the eyes of the most important man in my life.  His soft, light giggling barely above a whisper now, deep chocolate brown eyes searched me from above, and the unfamiliar emotions from yesterday swirled up within me again like waves crashing against a shore.   

Seriously, what was going on with me?  I couldn't be falling in love with him could I? No.  That was ridiculous.

I blinked a couple of times and glanced away.  My heart pounding in my chest, I tried to push my emotions away and not dwell on them.

"So.....umm.....lunch?"

Michael's gaze turned quizzical with my abrupt change in subject, but I quickly pushed myself up and slid out from underneath him.  Swallowing a couple of times, I tried to steady my rapid pounding heart and I inhaled a sharp breath and let it out slowly.

"You okay?"

Pasting on a fake smile, I straightened my hair and glanced over at Michael.  "Perfect. Let's go."

Chapter 6 by Leahluv21
Author's Notes:

 

 

A Week Later

Reaching on top of my head, I slid my oversized gold sunglasses off and tossed them on a small rectangular table nearby.  Currently at a radio station waiting on Michael to finish an interview, I peered through the large glass window dividing the deep purple rooms we were both in. Situated in the middle of a large Plexiglas table, Michael was a few feet away surrounded by dark purple walls and bookshelf's lined with endless rows of cds.  Leaning forward in his chair, Michael's head was tilted down and soft curls fell against the sides of his cheeks as he stared at a black ballpoint pen he had been given to work on signing a couple of autographs.  His eyes lined with the same exhaustion I had seen in his expression my entire visit, my heart ached seeing him so ragged. Inhaling a deep breath, my stomach expanded and I released the air slowly between my teeth.   

He needed to slow down...or else...

Images of the broken man I had met so many years ago resurfaced in my subconscious and I chewed on my lower lip, worried that Michael was going to crash under the enormous amount of pressure placed on him.

 I leaned the sleeve of my brown leather jacket against the window seal and the metal felt cool against my skin.  Forcing my thoughts away from Michael's destructive pattern of behavior I pulled my wrist away from the window and rested my head in my palm.

I'd just have to keep an eye on him.

Jiggling my dark suede boot under the table, I heard my stomach rumble and I crossed my arms  acrossed my betrayed stomach and rocked back and forth in the wheeled silver chair I had been given to wait for Michael in. 

Seriously, this was taking forever.  It was an hour past one and we hadn't even eaten lunch yet.

Watching him through the window, my thick black headphones itched but I didn't dare mess with them.  Knowing myself I'd probably knock them off my head in the process and fling them into the glass divider.

...and God knows I'd already had enough press about the last interview I'd botched. 

Impatiently, I shifted my chair back and forth making the wheels squeak and I heard one of Michael bodyguards grunt in disapproval from the noise.  My cheeks flushed, my hair brushed against my cheek as I turned to give him an apologetic look.  Staring at me for a moment before shooting a knowing glance at one of my own guards, I suspected that they'd been discussing my antsy behavior from the look on their faces and I stopped the motion and sat back in my chair abruptly, sighing in frustration.

It felt like the entire time I'd been here, I'd been waiting for Michael to finish with something.  Which, actually was what I had been doing.  It was no wonder I felt so cooped up.  I swear the man never slept.  Or never took anytime for himself.

Michael's voice hummed in the ear of my headset and I realized that while my thoughts had drifted the program must have picked back up.  Laying a hand on my headset hesitantly, I adjusted it slightly so it stopped pinching the tip of my ear and I looked back over at Michael.  Wearing a pair of aviators, the silver wire frames were reminiscent of his thriller days and the cherry red leather jacket he had paired with it was also a definite throwback.  Drumming his fingers along the edge of the table, Michael responded to each question politely, tilting his head when he had to search for an answer and I kicked my leg back and forth lightly and listened in.

"Are there any special women in your life?"  The jockey pried next.

Inwardly, I groaned.  He answered this question at least once a day by someone.

Dark blue eyes stared at Michael expectantly from across the table, and his olive green shirt rubbed against his microphone stand as he leaned closer in expectation. 

"I have a lot of special women in my life." Michael replied easily, a hint of a smile on his face. 

...And there was his standard answer.

Michael had dated a lot of women through the years, but as long as I had known him he said the same thing each time.  Trying to appear available for his fans, Michael kept his personal life personal.  Not that I blamed him.  I was sure when I met someone I'd do the same thing. 
The media had a habit of ripping people apart regardless of how genuine their relationship had started.  My aunt was a good example of that.  Married 8 times, her relationship with Uncle Richard had been passionate and intense, but the pressure of being in the spotlight had driven them apart. I didn't want that for my life.

I caught Michael's eye and he shot me an apologetic glance.

"Not much longer" he mouthed.

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. With Michael not much longer could mean another two hours.  And I was going to die of starvation if he didn't hurry.

Melodramatically I pointed to my throat and Michael cocked an eyebrow as I faked a swoon in my chair.  Not able to see in the window when I "fell", I heard Michael coughing back a laugh in the headset and I straightened.  His hand over his mouth, Michael's fingers were spread over his lips and his eyes shimmered with suppressed laughter.  

"Drama queen" He mouthed, opening his fingers.  Unperturbed I faked another swoon and Michael coughed loudly.

"Mr. Jackson, are you okay?"

My cell phone vibrated in my pocket, and I shot Michael a smirk while I pulled my headset off and grabbed it.  Pulling it up to my ear I answered it.

"Hello?  Katie?"

Aunt Liz's smooth voice flowed through the earpiece, and I smiled hearing her voice.

"Hey...." I said affectionately, pulling a lock of hair away from my face.  I heard shuffling on the other end of the line, and I shifted against the back of my chair and turned with my boot to face the opposite wall.  Pressing the palm of my hand against my ear, I heard her punch a bunch of buttons.

"Just a second darling, I can't seem to get this devilish thing to cooperate."

"Just push the button marked SPEAKERPHONE." I chuckled, hearing her swear softly.  Laying a hand against my leg I smoothed out a wrinkle in my jeans.  "What are you doing that you need it on speakerphone anyway?"

"Katie?" She paused and I heard a loud crash.  Her voice raising an octave, her next question was screamed loudly from a distance away.  "Did you say something?"

I shook my head, and choked back a laugh. "Aunt Liz, you didn't get the speakerphone activated.  I can't hear you. Have someone help you with the button"

"What?"  Her voice drifted farther away, and I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing loud enough that she could hear. "I'm sorry darling you're going to have to speak up I can't hear you.  There's something wrong with this phone."

She probably thought she'd activated the speakerphone and had walked away from the cell..  Only having gotten her first smart phone a few weeks ago, she was still a little shaky on operating it.

"Hey Lizz."

Michael's soft voice startled me from behind, and I felt his head slide up against my cheek as he pressed in close to the phone. The scent of his cologne overwhelmed my senses, and I felt my breath hitch when his jaw grazed my ear.

"HONEY DID YOU SAY SOMETHING ELSE? I THINK IM GOING TO HAVE TO CALL YOU BACK."

Shaking my head, I offered a quick goodbye and ended the call.   Laying my cell phone on my lap, I felt Michael's breath against my ear and he turned my chair around to face him.  Bent down to where he was eye level with me, Michael's eyes were crinkled in amusement.

"Speakerphone?"

I bit the inside of my cheek and nodded my head.

"I figured."

We shared a smile.  Turning serious, Michael's eyes searched my face. "I know that I keep saying this, but I'm sorry that took so long...."

A bit of concealer Michel's makeup artist had put on him smudged, I could see the bags under his eyes and I ran my hands along the stress lines on his forehead. "You're working yourself to hard.." I admonished him quietly, sliding my hand down on his cheek. Knowing me as well as he did, he picked up on the meaning behind my words instantly and leaned in to my hand and pressed a kiss to my palm.

.  "I'm okay" He spoke with certainty.  His warm breath caressed my fingers, and searching my eyes he placed his hand on top of my own and squeezed reassuringly.   I promise."

"Mr. Jackson, we're ready to head to your next appointment.  Would you like us to pick up lunch on the way there or would you like to wait?"

Michael's eyes didn't leave my face until I nodded indicating we were okay.

"We'll grab something on the way Tyler, thanks."

______________________________________________________________________________

Michael's POV

I sat in the dark penthouse suit on the couch and the moonlight reflected against Katie's head as she slept tucked against my chest.  Her long, tone legs laying along the other crumpled cushions, I watched the steady rise and fall of her chest and my stomach tightened when her hand fell against my t-shirt. Slender fingers situated lightly against the cotton fabric, I felt a course of electricity coarse down my spine when her hand slipped down to my lower abdomen. I groaned, realizing my growing feelings were more than me missing her, and I tried to push my increasing attraction aside. She was like a sister.  I shouldn't be having these kind of feelings.,  

 Reaching up, I pinched the bridge of my nose and I leaned my head back and closed my eyes.

"Michael?"

My eyes had barely shut when I heard her voice and I opened them and glanced down.  Staring at me with her lips parted slightly, Katie tilted her head and smiled at me.

"Sorry...." She murmured, stifling a yawn.  "I didn't mean to fall asleep."

My eyes drifted down to her full lips.  Slightly parted as she fought another yawn, in another unguarded moment I silently wondered what it would be like to kiss her.  To be the only one allowed to kiss her.

Stop it.

I ripped my gaze from her face and looked at the coffee table I had tossed both of my legs up on.  My mind reeling, I reminded myself that my life was complicated and pursing something with Katie would only complicate things further.

"Michael?"

Her soft voice ripped me from my musings and I bit my lower lip and looked back down at her expectantly.

"Hmm?"

"What's going on tomorrow?"

Sighing, I leaned my head back against the couch and closed my eyes.  "I'm not sure...why?"

"No reason."

Her answer given a little bit too quickly, I kept my eyes closed and raised my brow suspiciously.

".....Why?"

"No reason."

Another hurried reply.

Too tired to investigate, I figured I'd get to the bottom of it in the morning and I rested my chin against the top of her head.

"Whatever."

End Notes:

Hey Guys :)

Hit me up with a review and let me know what you think so far!! I should have another chapter up by tonight.

<3 Leah

This story archived at http://www.mjfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=4823