Return to Oz by DareToDream
Summary:

Scarecrow watched the mystery girl in awe. Was this really Dorothy? No. It couldn’t be. She looked like her in some ways but not enough to convince him. She was a lovely sight but…she wasn’t his Dorothy. However, he couldn’t shake the pull he felt towards her. Had they met before? Who was this girl? And more importantly, why was she watching him in amazement as if she did know him but it had been years since they’d last crossed paths?

“Scarecrow,” she crooned his name with disbelief and bewilderment.

He quickly took a step back and widened his eyes in surprise. Maybe it was her after all. Just somewhat. . .different. “Dorothy?” he asked hopefully. Had she returned to him? Returned to Oz?

The girl slowly got on her feet without taking those hazel eyes off of him. She spoke as if she was lost in wonderment. “I’m not Dorothy. You don't know me."

That crushed him so badly he could not hide the despair on his face. Dorothy was never coming back to him. He lowered his head and let that first tear slide down his cheek. When the girl spoke again, Scarecrow bolted his eyes back up at her again and everything around him went still.

“My name is Beatrice. I’m her daughter.”

 

Disclaimer: All recognizable characters are property of their respective owners. No money is being made from this work of art and no copyright infringement is intended. So in other words, don't sue me! This has only been created for pure fun.

Alternate Ending: 9/18/15


Categories: Off The Wall: 1975-1981, Adventure, Family, Fantasy, Romance Characters: Michael, Original Girl
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 60759 Read: 46548 Published: Feb 26, 2015 Updated: Sep 18, 2015
Story Notes:

It is strongly recommended that you watch the 1978 film The Wiz before reading this story. This is a sequel.

1. Chapter 1 by DareToDream

2. Chapter 2 by DareToDream

3. Chapter 3 by DareToDream

4. Chapter 4 by DareToDream

5. Chapter 5 by DareToDream

6. Chapter 6 by DareToDream

7. Chapter 7 by DareToDream

8. Chapter 8 by DareToDream

9. Chapter 9 by DareToDream

10. Chapter 10 by DareToDream

11. Chapter 11 by DareToDream

12. Chapter 12 by DareToDream

13. Chapter 13 by DareToDream

14. Chapter 14 by DareToDream

15. Chapter 15 by DareToDream

16. Chapter 16 by DareToDream

17. Chapter 17 by DareToDream

18. Chapter 18 by DareToDream

19. Chapter 19 by DareToDream

20. Alternate Ending!!! by DareToDream

Chapter 1 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:

This is merely the prologue to the story. If you like it then I strongly encourage that you leave a review. Thank you!

Dorothy looked back at her colorful gang of friends with sadness. It was time to leave them now and return home. Although she was thrilled to finally be heading home, she couldn’t deny the fact that she would be missing Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Lion terribly, especially Scarecrow. After all, he was the first friend she made here in this strange world. It looked a lot like New York but…altered. “Thank you” she called out to them tenderly. “Thank you for being my friends.”

Her three friends remained quiet as they stood behind and witnessed her departure. Lion was doing a great job of holding back his waterworks as he plastered a phony smile on his face. His new found courage allowed him to be strong and not show weakness. Tin Man watched on with tenderness. He really was happy for Dorothy and decided to not surrender to the feeling of lost that was threatening to surround him, but instead he dwelt on the idea of Dorothy being safe and happy back at home with her Uncle Henry and Aunt Em. He understood why she wanted so desperately to return to them. As for Scarecrow, there was no way he could hide the tears that were shamelessly streaming down his face.

Dorothy could practically feel how bad he didn’t want her to leave but he remained quiet. Scarecrow knew that his begging wouldn’t make this outcome any different. He knew her well. If Dorothy set her mind and heart on a task, then you better believe she was going to see it through until the end. However, her heart ached to see pain sweeping across her friend’s face like that. She wanted to reach out to him…but her time here had expired. It was time for her to go home now. She had no doubts that he would be fine without her, all of them would be. In the end, they all got what they were searching for plus a bonus. They also gained a powerful friendship and even though she realized she would never see them again, Dorothy knew that the bond she had with them would always and forever be unbreakable. She reluctantly turned her back from them—but not without taking one final glance at the man standing behind her crew whose real name was Herman Smith. The four of them had just discovered him to be posing as the great and powerful wiz. Apparently, there was no such thing here in Oz—and stepped closer to the beautiful good witch named Glinda floating in front of her. “I’m ready now.”

“Think of home” Her beautiful voice crooned. Her precious babies watched on and posed as precious stars in the background.

Dorothy closed her eyes. This was it. All she had to do was think of home and click her heels three times before she and Toto would be back in their warm apartment with her aunt and uncle. Quietly, she made a vow to herself that when she made it home she would no longer be the same quiet, timid, and insecure Dorothy that she’d always been. No way. Now, she would live life to the fullest and more than anything…she would love to the fullest, because that was what this world had taught her to do. “Home” she whispered. Here she comes.


***
(Seven years later)

Dorothy laughed as she happily chased her giggling five year old around the living room, who was having the time of her life chasing Toto in circles around the couch. Toto barked in delight but Dorothy wanted to catch her daughter soon before her dog got too tired. It wasn’t like he was still in his prime and had the same energy on him as he did seven years ago. Before she could grab the little girl, Dorothy’s husband, Albert, appeared and swooped the child affectionately in his arms.

The little girl shrieked in delight. “Put me down, daddy!” she laughed as she tried to get her feet back down on the ground. The young girl resembled her mother in skin tone and vivid personality. She even inherited her mother’s curly hair. The only difference was that her daughter’s curls were naturally bigger and almost touched her shoulders. As for her eyes, they were hazel, like her father’s, who was a handsome tall medium built man with a goatee and jet black hair.

“No way, young lady. I’m afraid it’s time for you to hit the sack” he told her in a strong deep voice.

“Nooooo, daddy” she whined. “I’m not sleepy. I want to play with Toto some more.”

Albert frowned. “Where do you get all this energy from?”

Dorothy took the child in her arms with a grin. “Her energy comes from all the excitement and passion she has” she stated proudly.

Albert was puzzled. “Excitement and passion for what?”

“For living life. Life is an adventure. Ain’t that right, Beatrice?” She rubbed the tip of her nose against her daughter’s cute buttoned shaped one. “You love life, don’t you, baby? I love it too.” Dorothy met her husband’s gaze. The same excitement and passion that was dancing around frantically in their daughter’s eyes was now gently floating in hers. That was where Beatrice had gotten her spark from.

Her husband smiled fondly at his family. “Like mother, like daughter.”

The two of them were brought back to reality when they heard their five-year old say, “I don’t want to go to bed, mommy” she was pouting and any minute now she would be nothing but tears and snot as she rebelled with all her might against her parents’ order.

“Time for us to bring out a firm hand” Albert mumbled in Dorothy’s ear.

“I have a better idea.” She moved a curly strand of Beatrice’s hair away from her eyes as she said, “I’ll tell you a story if you behave and go to bed right after it.”

“Yes,” Albert added. “Be the good little girl that we know is buried deep down in there somewhere.” He gently poked his girl in the chest and she giggled some more.

“Story!” she cheered loudly.

“What kind of story would you like tonight?” Dorothy mentally had her fingers crossed as she prayed that her daughter would give her the answer she was searching for.

“An Oz story, mommy! I want an Oz story!”

Dorothy sighed blissfully. That was the right answer. “I’m afraid I got you hooked on those.” It came out as a gentle complaint but she was thrilled by Beatrice’s choice. Retelling her adventures in Oz was the only time Dorothy was ever able to properly revisit those memories and think back on those amazing males she left behind. Man, she really did wish she could see them again. Tin Man, Lion,…Scarecrow…she prayed that they were happy and living a good life.

“Tell me an Oz story, mommy! Tell me, please!”

Dorothy snapped out of her daydream as Beatrice tugged on her necklace to get her attention. She gently unraveled her daughter’s hand from around her three year anniversary gift from Albert. “Okay, but first we have to give daddy a kiss goodnight.”

Beatrice eagerly leaned towards her father who happily kissed her forehead before letting her give him a wet kiss on his cheek. She laughed. “I gave you a wet kiss, daddy!”

He spoke in a warning tone. “Wet kisses are okay but no wet beds, understand?”

She nodded. “No, wet beds.”

“That’s my girl.”

Beatrice impatiently peered at her mother again. “Oz story, mommy” she whined.

“Okay, baby, but if you want an Oz story, there’s one more thing we have to do. We have to…” Dorothy paused briefly for dramatic effect before she began singing very softly, “Ease on down, ease on down the road.” She gently rocked her daughter to the beat of the song that was in her head.

Beatrice’s grin took up her entire face and it filled Dorothy’s heart with an abundance of elation. Beatrice sung happily “Ease on down, ease on down the road.” She laughed excitedly.

Dorothy spun her around before quickly giving Albert a peck on the lips—who playfully shook his head at his wife and child—and dancing past him. She and her daughter sung together the line, “Don’t ya carry nothin’ that might be a load. Come on and ease on down, ease on down the road.”

Beatrice shouted over her mother’s should as they headed for her room. “Come on, Toto. We’re going to hear an Oz story.”

Toto eagerly jogged after them.

When they reached her room, Beatrice said, “I want to hear about Scarecrow.”

Dorothy laid her down and smoothed out her night gown before bringing the covers over her. “Only Scarecrow?” she asked curiously.

Beatrice busied herself with tucking Toto under the covers by her side the moment he jumped on her bed. “I like the Scarecrow.”

“What about Tin Man and Lion?”

“Scarecrow is my favorite.”

If Dorothy was honest with herself, she would admit that she actually missed Scarecrow the most. Perhaps, she unconsciously mentioned him the most in her stories and that could be why Beatrice had grown so fond of him. She rubbed her daughter’s cheek before gently stroking Toto’s fur, who was comfortably pressed against his youngest owner’s body. “Very well, then.” She kneeled beside her daughter’s bed to be close to her and Toto.

Beatrice’s eyes were already getting heavy but she knew her little girl would fight it until she heard everything wanted to hear.

“Scarecrow was the first friend I made in Oz. When I first met him, he was stuck on a pole and had been there since the day he was first created. So he never learned how to walk.”

“He couldn’t walk?” Beatrice’s voice was curious but Dorothy could hear the sleepiness as well. It shouldn’t be much longer until she was under.

Dorothy shook her head.

“Why didn’t someone teach him?”

“He didn’t have anyone” Dorothy spoke sadly. Well, he eventually gained her but then…she left him to come back here. So did that mean he was lonely again? She shook that thought away when she remembered that he still had Tin Man and Lion with him. A pestering voice within her asked if that would be enough for him. “All he had were these four mean crows who made fun of him as they ate up all the corn in his garden. They would call him names, throw food at him, and bully him all day long. They even made him sing sad songs that would crush his spirits and discourage him from getting down off the pole and learning how to walk.”

“I don’t like the crows, mommy” Beatrice’s voice was sounding drowsy.

“I didn’t like them either, which was why Toto and I scared them off.” Dorothy chuckled as she relived the moment. “Toto bit the fat one’s leg.”

“Good boy, Toto” Her daughter gently rubbed his side but Toto was already out for the night. “Did you teach Scarecrow to walk, mommy?”

“I sure did and it wasn’t long before he was doing it on his own.” Dorothy looked off into space and smiled thoughtfully. “He was the smartest one amongst us all. He even found the yellow brick road that I spent the whole previous night looking for. I swear he had more brains than any of us.” When she peered back down at the bed, she saw that Beatrice was out like a light. She caressed her jet black hair. Seeing her daughter so still and peaceful was a sight she thanked the good Lord for because it never happened during the daytime.

Before rising up from her spot beside the bed, Dorothy added, “Scarecrow had me laughing and always singing and dancing by his side. He was so gentle, sweet, brave, and had a passion for learning new things. He wasn’t just my first friend in Oz…He was my best friend and I miss him very much.” She kissed her little girl on top of her head before turning around to exit the room.

As she turned off the lights and switched on the nightlight, she heard, “Mommy?”

Dorothy peered behind her. “Yes, baby?”

Beatrice still had her eyes close when she said, “I want to see Scarecrow.”

She did too, she thought but instead of admitting that truth, she just said something that would be more likely to happen. “Maybe you will one day, angel. Maybe one day you will.”

Chapter 2 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:

Hey guys, don't forget I won't know if you like the story unless you review. The more feedback I get, the more motivation I'll have to continue on with this project. Thank you!

(Fifteen Years Later)

Beatrice ran inside the apartment with a smile plastered on her face. Her hair’s usual big body of spiral curls was now drenched and pasted to her skull, courtesy of the brutal rain that was pouring outside. Despite the horrible weather out there, she was excited today and had every reason to be. “I’m home!” she cried happily as she closed herself off from the storm and threw her wet jacket and work bag on the floor. She stayed right where she was because she knew what was coming next. It was something that happened everyday this time of year.

Dorothy entered the main room from the kitchen while carrying a medium sized cake with chocolate frosting. “Happy birthday!” She beamed at her now 20-year old daughter as she approached her but then suddenly frowned at Beatrice’s wet appearance. “What happened?”

“The rain got me and I wasn’t prepared for it.” She looked down at the small jean jacket she had thrown on the floor. Clearly, she made a poor judgment call on wardrobe today.

“How bad is it out there?” Dorothy asked worriedly. “Your father should be on his way home from work soon. I’d hate for him to get stuck out there.”

Beatrice shrugged. “Pretty bad, I guess but I’m sure dad will be fine. Also, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if we go ahead and cut the cake without him.” She moved from her place at the door and anxiously walked further inside. “Is it…”

Dorothy chuckled as she finished her sentence. “Yes, it’s strawberry flavored on the inside. I know what you like.”

“Yes! Thank you, mom.” Beatrice kissed her cheek before happily trying to take hold of her dessert.

Dorothy moved it out of her daughter’s reach. “Not so fast, young lady.” She gestured her head towards the front door. “First, you need to pick your jacket and work bag off the floor. Second, you need to dry yourself off before you drip everywhere.”

Beatrice’s face turned into mock disappointment. “But I turned twenty today. I should have gained some sort of liberty, right?” Dorothy laughed as her daughter got on her knees, clasped her hands together in a begging position, and dramatically pleaded, “Free me mother like you freed the evil witch Evillene’s people from enslavement. Make this a brand new day for me.” Beatrice began singing the line, “Can’t you feel a brand new day? Can’t you feel a brand new day?”

Dorothy couldn’t help how thrilled she felt each time Beatrice referenced her adventures in Oz. It was just so rare now because the older Beatrice got, the less she would ask her mother to talk about them. Perhaps, they were merely great tales for younger audiences. “There’s a big difference between being enslaved and being guided. And the latter is what I’m doing with you.” She gestured again at the door. “Now go pick your jacket off the floor.”

A loud roar of thunder shook their home, causing the lights to flicker briefly. A weird sensation was suddenly engulfing Dorothy. “The news didn’t say anything about a storm coming today.”

Beatrice approached the door again to grab her things when she heard a strange squeal erupt from outside. The sound made her halt in her place and frown. “What was that?”

Dorothy sat the cake down on the dining room table and peered at her daughter curiously. “What was what, honey?”

Beatrice heard it again. It was a very high pitched shriek that couldn’t have come from a person. It had to have been some form of animal. Curiosity got the best of her and she peek through the window.

“What are you doing, Beatrice? Careful, it’s lightening out there.”

“Don’t you hear that?”

Dorothy approached the window and stood behind her daughter as she listened closely. After a moment she said with a frown “I only hear the wind and I can’t see anything past this heavy rain.”

Beatrice was also struggling to peer past the rain that was dampening and fogging up their window. She tried wiping it off but it was moot gesture since the interference was on the other side. It was definitely more than just the wind she was hearing. The sound reached her ears again and the more she listened the more it sounded like a distressed one. “There’s something out there,” she stated thoughtfully.

“I don’t hear anything, Beatrice.” The phone rang suddenly, pulling Dorothy’s attention away from the window. She palmed her daughter’s shoulders. “Put up your things so you can eat.”

When Dorothy moved away to go answer the phone, Beatrice did not. What on Earth could be making that noise? It sounded something like a bird but then it didn’t. Beatrice narrowed her eyes when she noticed a small strange animal struggling frantically with something in the middle of the street. It wailed loudly in distress again. “What is that?” Beatrice’s curiosity got the best of her as she put back on her jean jacket and opened the door. Unsurprisingly, she was met immediately with an aggressive rush of wind and rain. She closed the door behind her and placed her right arm against her forehead to shield the rain from getting in her eyes.

Standing outside gave her somewhat of a better view. The animal seemed to have been some breed of dog but she was still too far away to tell what kind exactly. Briefly, she thought about Toto and wished he was still here with them. Sadly, he passed away a few years back due to old age. Although she missed him dearly, she knew her mother was hurting more than any of them.

However, Beatrice wasn’t completely sure yet if this was a dog or not. What she did notice was that it was quite small, possibly a baby still, and that it was struggling with all of its might to get loose from whatever it was tangled in. It wailed loudly again but no one was in sight to help it. Poor thing, she thought. When Beatrice looked around she wondered how she could have been the only person to hear it. When she was in the apartment, her mother was right beside her and couldn’t hear a thing. This creature was loud and by now had her ears ringing. The helpless animal was drenched all over due to being unprotected from the storm but that was the least of his worry

Without hesitation, she ran towards it, despite the roaring thunder and the frightening illumination that sliced through the sky for the umpteenth time that day. The animal squealed again and Beatrice gasped when she approached it. This was no ordinary creature and she jumped back in disbelief. All over his legs his fur was black but it morphed into a dark red and orange tent once it reached his back. Beatrice thought it looked like a mix between a fox and a small bear cub until she took notice of a small pair of owl-like wings behind his shoulders trying to break free from what was imprisoning his body.

“What are you?” she asked with astonishment.

Somehow, the strange animal had gotten entangled in a long string that was wrapped all around his legs, wings, and neck. The more he struggled, the tighter the string would embrace him.

Beatrice suddenly whipped her head to the left. That was where she heard and felt the wind growing stronger. Her mouth dropped and dread filled the pit of her stomach as she witnessed a great twister appearing from practically nowhere. There were no tornado warnings on the news this morning so how the heck was this possible? The whole idea of this random storm was just so difficult to grasp. This was not good.

That twister was swirling faster than her eyes could see and moving with a deadly grace straight towards her. Trash and tree branches flew around it but it seemed to be deliberately and flawlessly avoiding every house and car in its path. If she didn’t know any better, she would have thought that the only target this twister had was…her.

Beatrice’s attention was brought back to the animal in distress when he wailed again. Despite his otherworldly appearance, she didn’t have the heart to leave this baby animal out here alone. Quickly, she kneeled down and started trying to untangle him. “Quit squirming. You’re choking yourself.” She tugged at the piece of string tied around his neck. It was on him tight but obviously not too tight where he couldn’t make a sound. When she couldn’t unravel it with just her fingers she grew desperate and leaned down to break the string with her teeth. Luckily, it worked and she got his neck free.

When she peered back at the twister, it was now about twenty feet away and the wind was dancing around her with a painful force. Thank God that her skin was securely attached to her body. Otherwise, it would have definitely flown away by now.

She went back down at her task. By now, the strange creature was crying more than ever. The noise was so loud that her head ached. “Don’t worry,” she yelled over the wind. “I’m going to get you out of this. Just be patient with me.” Regardless of what she said, she knew patience was not a virtue or option at this moment. Crap! The rain was coming down so heavily and quickly that she could hardly see. “Be still!” Beatrice quickly leaned down and bit on the string again. The good news was that it broke pretty easily. The bad news was that she had more places to bite into before the animal would be completely free and that twister’s threat was beginning to look more and more like a promise meant solely for her.

“BEATRICE!” Dorothy was outside now and running frantically towards her.

She couldn’t stop now. Beatrice clamped her teeth on two more spots and finally, yes finally, that baby creature was free. To her surprise though, he didn’t take off flying, running, hopping, or…whatever it was that this animal did. Instead, he just laid their whimpering in sadness. The poor thing probably used up all his strength fighting to break free and now was too weak and even wounded to save himself. Beatrice was quickly starting to lose her balance against the air the twister tossed at her in warning.

The animal’s body started to involuntarily lift off the ground but she quickly caught him and tucked him in her jacket to shield him from the storm. He was the size of a full grown house cat but was anything but.

“BEATRICE!!!” Dorothy called to her again with a panic.

Beatrice started to run towards her mother but she couldn’t pick up any speed against the wind. She had to focus on not falling and being swept into the massive twirler as she put one foot in front of the other while keeping the creature close to her. If she let him go, there was no way he wouldn’t be absorbed by their predator born from gust.

Dorothy tightly held on to the pole of a street light with one hand as she extended her other one out for her daughter to take. “Take my hand!” she shouted against the storm. She was now as drenched as Beatrice was. “Come on, you’re almost here!”

When Beatrice figured she was close enough, she made a reach for her mother with her right hand while keeping the animal between her left hand and her chest.

The moment their hands touched, Beatrice could feel that twister right at her back and sure enough, she was right. Next thing she knew, her feet were being lifted off the ground and she would have been a goner if it weren’t for Dorothy’s strong hold on her. “MOM, DON’T LET GO!” She yelled.

“HANG ON! I GOT YOU!”

Beatrice screamed when she felt her left foot break through the twister. This twister was no joke. It wanted her and only her and it was already beginning to swallow her up.

Dorothy suddenly stilled and mouthed, “Oh…My…Goodness.” A look of realization had spread across her face as she stared on past her daughter and into the core of the twister. She no longer appeared frightened by what was happening but just shocked. “Glinda?” She asked in disbelief.

Who the heck was Glinda, Beatrice wondered but didn’t voice it.

“It can’t be” Dorothy whispered.

“Mom, what is it? Don’t let me go.” A new found fear was coming over her as she watched her mother. Dorothy looked like she was in a trance, seeing something inside the twister that wasn’t really there. Beatrice was now consumed up to her knees by it and she held on to her mother’s hand as tight as she could without letting go of the bizarre animal.

The next thing Dorothy did took Beatrice completely by surprise and had her questioning her mother’s sanity. Dorothy smiled. SHE SMILED! Here, Beatrice was about to get eaten alive by a tornado and her mother was smiling. “I don’t believe it” said Dorothy and met her daughter’s gaze again. “You’re actually going.”

Huh? What did she mean by that? Going to heaven? Uh, yeah, if her mother really lost her marbles and let go of her then yes, she most likely would be going into the afterlife. Tears would have been falling down Beatrice’s cheeks if it weren’t for the brutal sweep of wind making contact with her face. “What are you talking about? Mom, please don’t let me die!”

“You’re not going to die, baby, I promise. You’re finally going to get to see him, just like you’ve always wanted.”

“What? See who?” Beatrice grew panicky. “Who are you talking about? Mom, no!”

“Send him my love, along with the rest of them” she said gently.

Now Beatrice’s heart was pounding so hard it was louder than the thunder and the air of the twister. Her breath came out in heaves as she braced herself for what her mother was getting ready to do. “Mom, please don’t” she cried.

“I love you, angel.” And just like that, Dorothy released her daughter into the cyclone.

End Notes:

So chapter three is currently in production and should be up pretty soon. I think you all will really like that one. Thank you for reading and don't forget to review :)

Here are the animals that inspired the creature Beatrice rescued.

50% Red Panda

 

50% bear cub

 

With wings like an owl

Chapter 3 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:

So I started this chapter last night and couldn't stop. As a result, I finished it! Yay! Enjoy and let me know your thoughts on it, please. Thank you so much for reading.

Beatrice spun inside the twister for what felt like forever. As soon as she thought she was going to past out, it spat her out and she landed in a sandy area face down. She had not the strength yet to raise her head. Although her body told her she was out of the cyclone, her mind kept spinning and failed to release her from her massive dizzy spell.

She wasn’t sure how long she remained that way but eventually she felt something kneading her back. It felt like…paws. That was when she finally lifted her head and slowly peered behind her. That bizarre animal she rescued was staring straight at her with purple tented marble-shaped eyes. This creature so peculiar yet…the most adorable thing she had ever laid eyes upon. He had a long bushy tail that was red and orange on one side, the same color that was on his head and back, but was completely black on the other, matching the color of his stomach, legs, and paws. He whimpered at her and kneaded her back again. Was this his way of checking to see if she was alright?

When she felt stable enough, Beatrice moved and slowly rose to a kneeling position. “Are you okay?” she asked it, worriedly.

Seeming as a response to her question, the animal squealed softly and walked around in a circle once before extending his gorgeous wings briefly and jumping in her lap. Well, he was definitely a friendly…uh…whatever the heck he was. “What are you?” she whispered again. The animal squealed affectionately as he nuzzled his head against her belly. “Uh, you don’t have to thank me.” She only assumed that was what he was doing but she petted him anyway. Oh, wow! His fur was way softer than it looked. He would definitely make a great cuddler. “I’m glad you’re okay” she smiled at him and he purred and stretched a wing in delight. Hang on…something else was not right here. A few seconds ago, the two of them were experiencing an intense ride in the core of a massive storm. How on Earth did they get indoors and why were they dry?

When Beatrice patted the top of her head, it was no longer slicked down by rain but was completely dry and back to its original bouncy body of spiral curls. Neither were her clothes clinging to her skin like before. Same thing applied to the animal. Beatrice was now able to see just how thick and beautiful his coat really was. Was he simply just a random concoction of the world’s cutest baby animals? Beatrice figured that even though this was strange, the outcome could have been a lot worse for the both of them. Still…somehow her mother knew she would in up here because she had let it happen. Should she be angry with her? Should she be feeling betrayed? For whatever reason—probably the fact that she knew her mother would never do anything deliberately to harm her—she wasn’t angry or hurt at all, but she also wasn’t thrilled about being here either. Speaking of, where is…here?

As she looked around, Beatrice saw that she was in the middle of what looked like it used to pass for an indoor playground. To her right were a set of swings. Half of one swing was barely hanging on the pole while its other half lied on the ground miserably. The swing next to it was fully attached to its stand but its seat was completely covered in what appeared to be ashes some dark murky substance. To her left were several slides. Two of them were crumpled into individual piles as if a giant suddenly decided to take a stroll in here and crushed them. The remaining ones were covered in more of that strange grimy substance.

It didn’t take Beatrice long to realize that she had landed in what used to be the playground’s sandbox. The thing was, it wasn’t golden sand she was sitting in. The sand possessed a depressing gray tone. Ready to get away from this place, Beatrice started to stand up but was taken by surprise as her four-legged companion climbed up her body and around to her back. He rested his black front paws on her right shoulder and waited for her to lead the way. “Um…I’m guessing you want a ride?” The creature blinked at her and held on to her tightly.

She stepped out of the box and turned in a circle to take in her surroundings some more. While looking up, she saw a hugged white letter with bright lights on its edges. It was hanging high in the sky and it was the letter “O,” but it looked like there used to be another letter inside of it but was broken off a long time ago. Or maybe the tornado that brought her here tore it off. “I don’t suppose you know what that means, do you?”

The animal squealed in response.

Beatrice looked over her shoulder at him. “Can you understand me or are you just making noises at the right moments?”

He squealed again and she had no idea what that meant. However, she figured it was safe to assume that anything was possible now. After all, he wasn’t even your average animal.

Beatrice rubbed his head and eventually veered her attention towards a completely destroyed staircase, leaving her with no way to get upstairs if she wanted to. She suddenly went rigid when she heard the animal growl. When she peered down at him, she noticed that he was looking towards their right. She quickly trained her eyes on where he was looking at and gasped when she saw a person poking their head out from behind a wall. The stranger was about thirty feet away and the room was very, very dim; therefore, she couldn’t make out any distinct features.

Before she could say anything, the stranger uttered a word that caught her by surprise. “Dorothy?” It was a young man’s voice and not one she recognized.

“Who are you?” she asked him.

The man fully removed himself from behind his hiding spot and gracefully approached her. “Don’t you remember me? I’m Rolin, the Munchkin.”

She frowned in confusion. “Munchkin?”

As he came closer she took in his strange clothing. He wore a body suit with colorful artwork and abstract patterns all over it and a cap to match. “Yes. Munchkin. You’re in Munchkin Land, or at least…what it used to be.” Rolin glanced around the room with so much heartbreak in his eyes before turning back to her. He asked her hopefully, “You do remember, don’t you?”

Beatrice was suddenly taken back to those millions of bedtime stories her mother told her as a child. No. Freakin. Way, she thought. “Munchkin Land? As in…” It took everything in her power to say it. “Oz?”

Rolin’s face widened in delight. “Yes!” He jumped up and down and clapped excitedly before reaching out to hug her. He quickly jumped back when the animal hissed at him. He gasped in fear. “What happened to Toto? He looks…different. Is he sick?” Worry filled his tone. “Miss One could probably fix him, if you like.”

Beatrice was too shocked by the idea of where she ended up to answer him. Oz? She couldn’t recall every Oz story her mother told her but there were certain places and people in them that she knew she would never forget about, no matter how old she was. Certain characters, for example, had held her attention more than others, such as: the Lion, Tin Man, and…oh…the Scarecrow. Could this mean… they were all real? Had her mother really ventured out to Oz and had all of those adventures? And was she really here now? She suddenly recalled the last few words her mother told her. “You’re finally going to get to see him, just like you’ve always wanted….Send him my love, along with the rest of them.” Oh. My. Goodness. Beatrice had left New York and was in Oz.

“Dorothy?” Rolin studied her curiously. “You don’t look the same either. Are you sick too?”

She shook her head but before she could state who she was, a sudden cold breeze surrounded them, making her feel very uneasy. The animal clung tighter to her back for warmth and whimpered in protest at the change in temperature.

Rolin’s eyes grew wide in fear. “Oh, no” he whispered. “It’s back.”

“What’s going…”

Rolin covered her mouth with his hand and looked around the room frantically. “Shh, we can’t let it see us. We have to go, now. Come on, Dorothy and Toto.” He took her by the arm and led her towards the wall she first saw him standing by. He quickly peeled back a piece of the graffiti on the wall that was in the shape of a person wearing similar attire as him, no doubt it was the image of another Munchkin. It opened up like a door and revealed a deep tunnel. “Climb in, quickly!” He ordered urgently.

Not liking the way she was feeling about this sudden drop in temperature, Beatrice complied. Before leaving the neglected playground, she took notice that a large shadow was beginning to engulf the area and was slowly making its way towards them.

“We must leave before the shadow touches us!” He cried.

That was all Beatrice needed to hear before climbing completely inside.

Rolin made it in and the nick of time and closed the hidden door before he would have been touched. He let out a breath of relief. “That was close.”

Beatrice let out a breath too. They were now in a tight confined space that only allowed room for crouching. On top of that, she couldn’t see a thing.

“Just keep straight. It only goes one way.”

She began moving with caution and felt the young animal climb off of her. He was moving forward with a much faster pace. Obviously, he had no problems seeing in the dark. She could hear Rolin crawling right behind her. “What would have happen if we were touched?”

Rolin gulped. “It’s called the Sleuth. If it sees you, so will he.”

“He?”

“The dark warlock, who’s also known as Wickus the Wicked.” Rolin shivered at the thought of him. “He’s a terrible being. He’s the one who destroyed our land.”

Beatrice kept crawling forward but was extremely puzzled. She had no recollection of a dark warlock. She remembered stories of Evillene but not of this Wickus person. “Why would he do that?” Poor Munchkins, she thought in astonishment.

“Because he wants us as his slaves. He’s already captured half of us and took up the throne at Emerald City. He has to be the wickedest of them all in order to override the powerful wizard of Oz. We had no choice but to hide from him. Luckily, Scarecrow found this hideout for us and hasn’t left our side since.”

Beatrice’s heart skipped a beat. Something about Scarecrow always appealed to her in her mother’s stories. Butterflies had begun to erupt deep down within her as she thought about actually meeting him. If he was with the Munchkins then where were the Tin Man and Lion?

“You mean Scarecrow is with…” Before she could finish her question, Beatrice’s four-legged companion yelped as he fell down the steep dip that was in their path. It was so sudden that she had no time to catch herself before falling into it as well, screaming loudly.

The tunnel poured them out into a big spacious area and Beatrice heard several gasp at her sudden arrival. It looked almost as if they were underground. As she peered around, more people dressed like Rolin but with slight variations on their body suits, and some wearing dresses over them, huddled around her in amazement as they mumbled.

“Who is she?”

“Is that Dorothy and Toto?”

“That can’t be Dorothy and Toto.”

“Look at her eyes! Dorothy’s eyes were darker.”

“But that’s Dorothy’s face, isn’t it?”

“That’s definitely not her hair.”

It was hard for her to keep track of who all were talking as they surrounded her as if she were a new exhibit on display at the museum. She watched them all with frantic eyes as she remained on her hands and knees. The creature quickly hopped on top of her left shoulder and squealed at the crowd.

They simultaneously stepped back in surprise but didn’t scatter. It only triggered more mumbles.

“Is that Toto?”

“I remember him being nicer.”

“And why does he look so much like a FlyMam?”

Beatrice glanced at the animal standing on her shoulder. A FlyMam??? Was that what this creature was called?

Rolin appeared shortly after them but instead of screaming he was laughing happily as he landed in the wide opening area. “That part is always so much fun to me!” He stood up and brushed the dirt off of him.

“Rolin, who is this?” A young girl asked in a voice that sounded like it would be perfect for singing.

Beatrice’s Munchkin friend turned to the girl in disbelief. “Don’t be silly, Angeline. This is Dorothy.” He quickly turned to another Munchkin. “Quickly, go tell the others that Dorothy has but returned.”

Beatrice shook her head. “Wait a minute, I’m not—“

“How did you get your hair to curl like that?” A female Munchkin queried in pure fascination as she wrapped a curly lock around her finger and studied it.

“Uh, it’s been this way since I was born.”

“I don’t remember it looking like that” and boy Munchkin complained.

“Yeah, I remember it being a short cute afro like mine” one girl said as she affectionately patted her head as everyone laughed.

“But I’m not—“

“And what’s with Toto?”

Ugh! Were the Munchkins always this overwhelming? They wouldn’t even let her talk!

“Are you here to help us, Dorothy?”

“Will you kill Wickus the Wicked just like you did the wicked witches?”

They all asked together with so much hope,“Will you?”

Talk about massive pressure. She’d only been in this world no more than an hour and already they wanted her to kill someone. Did she have what it takes to walk in her mother’s shoes? “Um…” was the only word she could muster for a while and all the Munchkins watched her in confusion. “Listen, everyone. There’s something you all should know. I’m…” She would have finally finished her sentence if weren’t for who had just joined the huddled. The sight of him left her speechless and her heart doing backflips in her chest.

The crowd of Munchkins slowly parted to make room for him as he walked closer to her. Those big dark brown eyes never left her as he slowly stalked forward with caution. Both of them eyed each other with mutual expressions of confusion, hope, wonder, and intrigue. She couldn’t believe it. Was this a figment of her imagination?

**

Scarecrow watched the mystery girl in awe. Was this really Dorothy? No. It couldn’t be. She looked like her in some ways but not enough to convince him. Her skin complexion was about the same as Dorothy’s but her jet black hair was no longer short and in a curly afro; instead, her hair was bigger, thicker, and full of tiny curls. And those eyes…those were NOT Dorothy’s eyes. This girl had hazel ones. She was a lovely sight but…she wasn’t his Dorothy. However, he couldn’t shake the pull he felt towards her. Had they met before? And why could he even feel an essence of Dorothy radiating off of her? Who was this girl? And more importantly, why was she watching him in amazement as if she did know him but it had been years since they’d last crossed paths?

“Scarecrow,” she crooned his name with disbelief and wonderment.

He quickly took a step back and widened his eyes in surprise. Maybe it was her after all. “Dorothy?” he asked hopefully. Had she returned to him? Returned to Oz?

The girl slowly got on her feet without taking those hazel eyes off of him. She spoke as if she was in a trance. “I’m not Dorothy.”

That crushed him so badly he could not hide the despair on his face. Dorothy was never coming back. He lowered his head and let that first tear slide down his cheek. When the girl spoke again, Scarecrow bolted his eyes back up at her again and everything around him went still.

“My name is Beatrice. I’m her daughter.”

Whoa! He was not expecting that!

The Munchkins around them gasped before taking a step back and mumbling some more. They watched on with merciless curiosity.

Her daughter? Had it been that long for her to have gotten married and have a full grown daughter? No way. It had only been a little over twenty years since Dorothy left Oz. That was nowhere near enough time. Even if she did have a child, the girl should still be a toddler. Unless, the same rules in Oz didn’t apply in her world. “How can that be?”

His question seemed lost on her for a moment. “Are you asking how can Dorothy have had a daughter?”

He nodded speechlessly and couldn’t stop himself from exploring every detail of her features. There was no denying that this was Dorothy’s blood.

The girl looked uncomfortable for a moment as she scratched her head and shifted her weight between each foot. “Um…I’m not sure if I want to be the one to tell you where babies come from.”

Scarecrow widened his eyes in surprise. “I am already erudite on the subject of offspring production.” He noticed a small smile forming at the corner of her lips. Scarecrow came so close they were only a foot apart. She didn’t back away but she held her breath out of surprise and anticipation. He tilted his head to the side and peered at her inquisitively. “Why are you laughing?”

“Uh, I guess I’m just impressed. My mother used to always tell me that you had a very intelligent way of speaking and she was right.”

He gasped. “You mean, Dorothy has…mentioned me?” He poked himself in the chest.

Beatrice nodded. “More than anyone else.” Her eyes were going all over his features the same way he was doing with her. Clearly, they were both equally fascinated with one another. “Um,” She stepped forward, allowing them to be much closer. They were now almost chest to chest.

Scarecrow stilled with uncertainty but didn’t back away.

She slowly lifted her hand out towards his face but then hesitated. “Could I…”

She wanted to touch him. “Oh...um, okay.” He took her hand in his and brought it up to his jaw, allowing the tips of her fingers to caress him there. It was a light touch but it had his heart speeding in a strange way.

Beatrice gasped at the feel of him beneath her fingers and her reaction made him nervous. Was it a result of amazement or repulsion?

**
“I’m sorry” he said shyly and started to pull away from her. “The material I’m made with isn’t very satisfying.”

“No, it’s not that” she touched his arm to stop him from pulling away and got momentarily distracted by his candy cane-colored sleeves. He was just how her mother used to describe him. “I think you’re amazing.”

He looked truly touched as he whispered, “Really?”

She beamed at him. “I can’t believe it’s really you.”

Their moment was gone when the ground had begun the shake violently.

All the Munchkins around them screamed and tried to keep their balance.
Beatrice’s animal or…FlyMam immediately took cover in her arms as Scarecrow held on to her arm to steady her.

It wasn't long before it was over, but the Munchkins were still panicking.

“It’s okay, everyone” Scarecrow cried in a calm voice. “Just keep calm and keep your voices down. There will be no raids tonight, for obvious reasons. Please go back to your casualties for now.” When they disassembled, Scarecrow peered up at the roof above them. Although he wore a strong face for the Munchkins, it was obvious that he was worried.

“What is it?” Beatrice queried, looking above them as well, causing the creature in her arms to do the same thing.

“Something is above us and I’m hopping it’ll leave before it finds us.”

End Notes:

Please reveiw! Thank you!

 

Chapter 4 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:

Thank you so much for supporting this story. Initially, I wasn't sure how successful it was going to be, so I'm glad it's doing pretty well. Don't forget that your feedback is what keeps this story going. Thank you all and enjoy!

The female munchkin who had a purple and blue clipboard attached to her colorful dress cried in a panic, “It’s the sleuth! I just know it is!” She anxiously clung to the arm of one of her companions as they obediently cleared the area.

“Keep your voices down,” Scarecrow crooned again before walking away and towards an area that led to a deeper and darker point of the cave. Soon, he was out of sight.

Where was he going? Beatrice wondered. When she looked around, she noticed the munchkins were going the opposite way from Scarecrow. And where were they going? The path they were taking seemed a lot safer than the one Scarecrow took. After all, the flickering of light coming from the munchkin’s direction suggested that they had an entire setup over there. No doubt that was their place of refuge.

But glancing once more at the path Scarecrow just took had Beatrice following him without hesitation. The moment she stepped into the darker area, she couldn’t see a thing. She had no idea how Scarecrow was able to tell where he was going. Speaking of…where was he now? Beatrice listened closely for his footsteps but she was met with only a loud rumbling noise coming from upper ground.

The FlyMam quickly jumped out of her arms and ran ahead of her.

“Hey!” she protested while throwing her hands out in front of her for guidance. “Where did you go?” That question could have been for either Scarecrow or the strange animal. After taking a few more steps, Beatrice’s hands made contact with what felt like a rocky wall with…large vines growing out of it? Was this a dead end?

As she felt along one of the vines, a familiar gloved hand gently took hold of hers and started pulling her up the wall. “Up here” Scarecrow said quietly.

Beatrice climbed up the short wall carefully and although she couldn’t see him, she could feel how close Scarecrow was to her. He didn’t let go of her hand when they made it to the top. The tip of their heads touched the roof of the cave but Beatrice immediately understood why Scarecrow had climbed up here. In front of them was a view of what was happening outside on upper ground. Beatrice could tell that the small opening they were peering from was very discreet. Giant roots from a tree hovering above them blocked some of their vision but also provided protection from getting caught. However, Beatrice was pretty sure if she tried she could crawl through the space provided, not that she had any reason to of course.

A deep growling noise erupted from outside. It was so close Beatrice could feel the vibration. Yeah, there was no way she was going to be crawling out of this hole any time soon. “What is that?” she whispered.

“Shhh” Scarecrow crooned gently.

Suddenly, the second strangest thing Beatrice had ever seen landed in front of them—her new pet was definitely the first. It looked half human and half bird. The bird half resembled something very similar to a voucher, which covered most of his face. His human features were what mainly made up the middle of his body, such as his chest and neck. However, his arms were pure wings and his legs and feet were completely birdlike. Needless to say, the creature was hideous and frightening.

Beatrice grew wide eyed and uneasy at the sight of him. It was hard to tell how tall he was because he was in a low crouch to the ground as he probed at the dirt right next to the tree they were under. Although Beatrice and Scarecrow were right in front of the creature, the creature was oblivious to his witnesses because of the thick roots that shield them.

But that creature wasn’t the one who made that deep growling noise. The sound was heard again and supported by another vibration. This had to be what was shaking the cave and had all of the munchkins in a panic.

Two more birdlike humans appeared in Beatrice and Scarecrow’s vision, also hunched over like the first one, before the thing that was growling suddenly slammed its foot down in front of them. The foot resembled a hoof belonging to a horse…a big, big horse.

The unexpected action caused Beatrice to gasp loudly and Scarecrow wasted no time pulling her closer to seal her mouth with his hand, but he was just as frightened as she was.

Before Scarecrow could fully seal off her noise, those birdlike people had their heads lifted up from the ground and tilted sideways in the air as they listened. They seemed to be the same height as Scarecrow.

“You heard that?” creature number one uttered to his companions. “I told you something was out here. I saw it fall from the sky.” He hissed proudly.

Creature number two shook his head as he whined, “The Sleuth was just out here and it didn’t see anything.”

“Yeah, quit pulling our wings” chimed in the third one with a painfully high pitched voice that could make ears bleed. “Wikus is finally giving us a lunch break today and you’re going to make us miss it!”

Wikus? These things worked for the warlock? Beatrice pondered mentally.

The three of them started chirping and flapping their wings angrily at one another before the first creature said, “The two you just wait and see. Stallion, here will find who we’re looking for.” He whistled for big creature to approach him and it complied, moving his front hoof out of Beatrice’s and Scarecrow’s view.

Beatrice was able to breathe a little better with that big thing not standing so close to them anymore. So far, it was safe to say that wasn’t a stallion. That was a massive stallion, especially since regular horses didn’t growl like that.

She gently removed Scarecrow’s hand from her mouth without taking her eyes off the scene unfolding in front of them.

As the first birdman walked off with the Stallion in tow, Beatrice saw more of the big animal’s lower body. At least its bottom half was in full form of an all-black horse but it was too soon to tell about the upper half and Beatrice was in no hurry to see it either.

“How did we get stuck with the likes of him?” The second creature wondered with vexation while the third one rolled his eyes and continued picking at the ground.

“Don’t roll your eyes at me!” The second creature flapped at the third one and landed on his head. The two of them began tumbling and fighting in the midst of their angry chirps.

Beatrice leaned into Scarecrow’s ear to whisper, “What are they?”

He leaned in closer to her. “They’re called Skywatchers. Their job is to find everyone who managed to avoid captivity when the warlock first evaded the Emerald City.”

The birdmen were still squeaking in the background. “Will we be caught?” Beatrice asked worriedly.

“As long as we don’t let them see us, I think we’re okay. We should probably climb down though.” Scarecrow worked his way down the wall first while Beatrice took in the appearance of these creatures a little more.

They moved with a huge lack of grace and disturbingly poked at each other with their beaks. That first birdman and that giant stallion were completely out of sight.

At some point, Beatrice’s FlyMam was observing the scene curiously from her shoulder. That is, until one of the birdman tossed a half-eaten corn on the cob at the birdman on top of him but missed him completely. The corn cob landed a yard away from Beatrice’s peek hole. The moment the FlyMam hopped down her shoulder and ran out of their hiding place, Beatrice’s reaction to reach for him was too late. That little creature was now out in the open happily chasing after that half-eaten vegetable.

“Hey, come back here!” she whispered loudly in a panic. Luckily, the birdmen were too engrossed in their fighting to notice her voice or the FlyMam.

The little guy reached the corn and happily began biting off of it.

Beatrice was appalled. Did he not sense the danger here? When the animal made eye contact with her, she urgently gestured for it to come back.

The FlyMam only squeaked happily at her before taking another mouthful of corn. That was when the Skywatchers froze and zoomed their gazes in on the animal.

They quickly hopped off each other and began laughing maliciously. Simultaneously, they folded their wings behind their back and slowly stalked towards him.

Beatrice’s poor little friend was oblivious to his audience as he continued to eat. Her heart was pounding painfully in her chest as she feared for him. What were they going to do to him?

The poor baby squeal in delight again, not knowing what was sneaking up behind him.

One of the Skywatchers discreetly unfolded one of his wings as he got closer and extended it above the FlyMan the exact same time Beatrice crawled out of the hole.

The FlyMam screamed the moment he was lifted roughly by one of his owl-like wings. “What’s a little baby fur-ball like you doing out here all alone?”

The Skywatcher with the squeaky voice poked at the FlyMam painfully as the first one dangled him in the air.

The baby called out in distress.

“Can we keep him?” The one with the ugly squeaky voice asked.

The first one frowned at him. “No, you ate the first one, remember?”

“Oh, yeah, that’s right.” He peered at the FlyMam again who was performing useless struggles. “Can we eat him then?”

The first Skywatcher considered this request. “We’re going to miss lunch from being out here.” He nodded. “Let’s eat him.”

The FlyMam squealed louder than ever.

“EAT THIS!!!” When the squeaky-toned Skywatcher turned around at the sound of a third voice, Beatrice rammed a rusty five foot pole against his bird-shaped cranium.

He was instantly swept off his feet and landed in the dirt with a loud thump.

Beatrice glared at the other one as she repositioned her weapon in the air for another swing. “Drop him” she demanded.

The Skywatcher hissed with deadly fury at her but she didn’t flinch. There was no way she was going to abandon her new companion.

“Last chance” she told him. “Let him go.”

Reluctantly, the birdman released the FlyMam, causing him to land in a painful thump. Beatrice found it strange that the animal had wings but never used them.

Taken off guard by a surprise tackle, Beatrice was easily put on her back with the Skywatcher squealing loudly on top of her. She tried easing him off of her by pressing the pole against his chest but it was no use. The creature was stronger. His claws were digging painfully into her stomach and she groaned piercingly.

Soon the birdlike human was wailing in pain, after Beatrice’s pet growled and clamped his teeth down hard on his right leg. The distraction granted Beatrice the opportunity to get from underneath him. Before he could retaliate on the baby animal who was using his limb as a chew toy, Beatrice knocked him unconscious with her rod.

She was heaving heavily from fear and excitement…mostly from fear though. “You okay?” She asked her pet.

The FlyMam licked his back paw and whimpered. It was a pitiful sound and the steps he took were accompanied with a limp.

Beatrice’s attention was quickly turned elsewhere when she heard that familiar deep growl that vibrated all the way through the ground. She whirled around to find that tall stallion was back with the third Skywatcher.

Oh. My. Goodness, she mentally panicked. That was no massive stallion. That was a killer massive stallion. He was black all over but those eyes were not. Those eyes, the size of basketballs, were crimson red and pinned straight on her. That deadly creature had to pushing twenty feet. Another low rumbled erupted from him as his left hoof made a shove at the dirt beneath him.

Uh-oh, Beatrice knew what that meant.

The only conscious Skywatcher was laughing malevolently. “You fell from the sky, didn’t you?”

She didn’t answer him.

“I knew I was right. Oh, Wikus will be so thrilled with me!” He flapped his wings in excitement before narrowing his eyes at her with determination.

Beatrice slowly reached down for the FlyMam, not taking her eyes off her new foes or letting go of her rod. As she picked him up, she asked him, “Why is it that you always seem to get us into trouble?” Immediately, she darted off in the opposite direction. Going back into the hole would have been foolish because not only would the hide-out get destroyed but she would be leading these guys straight to Scarecrow and the munchkins. So she just ran as far as she could and as quick as she could. At least her friends would be safe.

She heard the birdman yelp loudly before hearing and feeling the sound of heavy feet charging at her from behind. She dared not turn around because she knew the Skywatcher had sent the stallion after her. But would it kill her or merely capture her? She refused to linger and find out.

Quickly she turned a corner and ran into an abandon two-story building. The stallion barely missed her with its teeth when she paused to open the door, but she made it in the nick of time. Unfortunately, she couldn’t rest yet.

The stallion’s growl shook the entire building and made her lose her footing briefly. Although the building had two levels, it was very small, perhaps only ten feet of space on each floor. Beatrice had nowhere to go but up though. As fast she could, she tackled those steps but screamed loudly when a black hoof the size of her face emerged through the wall in front of her. As quick as it came it disappeared. She continued ascending the stairs in a frantic pace. The second time it punched through the wall it was only a few inches above her head. She ducked to avoid pieces of the wall that were descending.

The moment she made it to the top, she heard an angry noise and felt a massive tremble that was the equivalent of an Earthquake. She turned around just in time to see that giant colossal horse ram his body into the building, managing to completely destroy the staircase and the whole right side of the structure.

Beatrice shielded her face with the arm that was holding on to the rod and screamed as pieces of construction flew at her. When she removed her arm, she was filled with more fear that ever because she was completely exposed.

That killer massive stallion was merely glaring down at her as he growled in low satisfaction. Nothing was between them now because half of the building no longer existed.

Beatrice gulped and moved her animal over her shoulder so that he would cling to her back. With both hands she gripped her tarnished rod as tight as she could and held it in position. This was the end. She knew it. So much for her not dying, she thought. She swung her pole in the air wildly at him. It was meant to be a warning.

The ebony stallion rose to his hind legs, making him even taller and allowing his shadow to swallow her up completely.

Beatrice braced herself for the impact.

“OVER HERE!!” A loud velvet voice from outside called out.

The stallion was suddenly knocked on his side by a blue and silver ball of illumination that was aimed at him. The moment he hit the ground, Beatrice swore what was left of the building jumped up front its spot before settling back down in a very loud protest. She stumbled and landed on her behind.

The monstrous steed was back on his feet in no time, glaring at his new target, which was. . .Scarecrow?

Beatrice peered down below with disbelief to find Scarecrow waving and jumping up and down to keep the stallion’s attention on him. Wow. He was actually trying to save her. But…what could he do?

The stallion’s gaze was fixed on him as he shoved back the dirt with his left hoof.

With a sling shot twice as big as an average one, Scarecrow shot out another blue and silver ball of light. It hit the beast violently in his eyes and he cried out in despair.

It was apparent that the bright illumination was blinding him but he charged at Scarecrow any way.

“SCARECROW, RUN!!!” She bellowed out the same time Scarecrow jumped animatedly in the air before turning around to run.

The moment the stallion charged at him, Beatrice was functioning on a reckless instinct. Before she could think twice about her action, she was running towards the massive horse and lunged off the two-story platform. Fortunately, she timed it perfectly and landed on the horse’s back.

He let out an abnormal neigh in protest but didn’t slow down. His fast pace had her spiral locks flying behind her. It was a miracle that the FlyMam was still able to hold on to her.

She began climbing up his neck and pulled on his mane. He protested some more but she kept at her task until she reached the top of his head. This gave her the perfect view of Scarecrow running clumsily but very swiftly. Clinging to the horse’s neck with her thighs, she lifted her shaft in the air with both hands and brought it down on his right eye.

His crimson iris shattered out like broken glass and he ended his pursuit of Scarecrow to shake his head hysterically. The loud sound he produced was utter torture to Beatrice’s ears as she tried to hang on to him.

Scarecrow aimed another illuminating ball at the stallion’s face, hitting him right in left eye. He had to be completely blind by now, Beatrice thought as she gripped his mane so she wouldn’t fall off. The beast was stumbling around clueless and desperately as he neighed and shook his head in panic. If this animal wasn’t pure evil, she might have felt sorry for him.

“BEATRICE!!!” Scarecrow ran around to the left side of the stallion and slid to a halt before extending his arms out her. “Jump, quickly! I’ll catch you!”

If only she can steady herself long enough to jump off rather than fall off, she thought.

“STALLION!!!” She heard one of the Skywatchers call his name with worry.

Time to go, she thought as she witnessed the only birdman she hadn’t knocked out flying towards them. When the giant steed jerked his head to the left once more, she deliberately released his mane and went soaring off of him.

She fell into Scarecrow with so much force she knocked the wind right out of him and sent him landing on his back with her on his chest. The two were nose to nose and gazed at each other with wild eyes.

“WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO TO STALLION?!!!” The human bird croaked.

Scarecrow and Beatrice looked behind themselves just in time to see the creature diving down at them from the sky. Beatrice wasted no time hopping up and swinging her pole at him as if he was a baseball and she was a batter trying to aim for a homerun.

She didn’t knock him unconscious but the impact did cause him to land a few feet away. He squealed in distress before up righting himself again.

Scarecrow was on his feet and shoulder to shoulder with Beatrice. “DON’T MOVE!” He ordered to the Skywatcher, holding his large sling shot and strange ball of light in position.

Beatrice pointed her rod straight at the birdman in pure warning. “Come near us and we’ll do to you the same thing we did to him.” She gestured at the stallion, who was still prancing around frantically. “Now take him and go! And don’t ever come back!”

That malicious laugh was back and she didn’t like it one bit. “We’ll go for now” he hissed. “But we will be back for you, my strange one. Wikus the Wicked will be wanting to make your acquaintance very soon, especially since you’ve visually impaired his favorite pet.”

Oops, she thought. Wait! There was no oops! That monster horse was the one who started the fight. She and Scarecrow merely finished it.

The birdman made a calling noise and the stallion followed the sound of it, but it wasn’t without a struggle. “Come on, you overlarge crybaby!” he croaked impatiently at him before flying over to his two unconscious companions. He screeched angrily, “WAKE UP, YOU LAME EXCUSES FOR SKYWATCHERS!!!” After a few minutes of rounding up his wounded gang, the birdlike humans and colossal horse were finally out of sight.

Beatrice and Scarecrow together let out a sigh of relief. She peered over at him and couldn’t help but to be pleased with the two of them. “Scarecrow…” she started to say but he cut her off.

“Are you okay?” Concern was evident in his voice.

She nodded. “Are you?” He nodded as well. “Thank you for saving me but it was kind of risky of you, don’t you think?”

He gave her an accusatory glance and nodded. “I could say the same about you.”

He had a point. They both had risked their lives for one another and weren’t going to apologize for it.

Beatrice peered down at the weapon he was holding. “Where did you get that sling shot and that strange…power?”

“It’s not mine. Miss One lets me borrow her radiance whenever she feels I need it.” His tone was filled with gratitude.

“How do you summon the light?”

“Miss One showed me how to will it. Look.” He lifted up his right hand and triggered a small globe of blue light.

Her eyes lit up in amazement. “Pretty” she crooned just before he made it dissolve. “Do you need it often?”

Scarecrow shook his head. “I always keep it on me when some of the munchkins and I go out on raids for food, but this was my first time using it.”

Beatrice was impressed. “Well you handled it flawlessly.”

“Thank you,” he said quietly.

She nodded and smiled. “I think we made a pretty good team.”

He didn’t smile back. Instead, he just frowned at her. “Beatrice?”

Her smile faded. He obviously wasn’t thrilled with her. “Yeah?”

Scarecrow tilted his head at her in that inquiring way of his and stepped closer to her. “Why did you leave the hideout?”

She rolled her eyes as she removed the FlyMam that was holding on to her back and brought him in front of her. “You have this little fellow to thank for that one.” Even though she was mad at the little guy, she still found herself petting him affectionately. He nuzzled his head against her chest and squealed happily. “I hope that piece of corn you were chewing on was worth all of this” she told him sarcastically. “We almost died, you know.”

“We’ll have to train him to be more careful” Scarecrow told her gently as he stroked the animal’s bushy tail. He was finally wearing a look of amusement. “What’s his name?”

“I don’t know. I just found out what he was from the munchkins a few minutes ago.” The FlyMam rolled over in her arms so she could rub his belly. She was quickly distracted by those gorgeous owl wings he possessed. “He doesn’t fly and yet he has these.” Beatrice brushed the inside of his right wing before moving to his belly.

“He’s too young. He won’t fly until he reaches a year old. FlyMams actually make great pets here in Oz.”

She looked up at him. “Really?”

Scarecrow nodded happily. “They choose who they belong to, not the other way around, which is why they’re always so loyal.”

Wow. Beatrice beamed down at the fuzz ball in her arms who obviously wanted to belong to her. “Well aren’t you just a sweet little bundle of trouble. You know, since you love danger so much, I think I’m going to call you Storm. That sounds about right, especially given the circumstances of how we met. Do you like that name, Storm?”

The animal squeaked in delight and playfully nibbled on one of her fingers.

Scarecrow and Beatrice laughed at his response.

“Beatrice and Storm,” Scarecrow crooned before locking his eyes on Beatrice for the umpteenth time that day. “What intelligent names you have.”

She beamed and her heart escalating was beginning to become a regular response to his compelling stare.

After a moment, he stated happily, “You know something? I think I should introduce you to TinMan.”

End Notes:

P.S: I would like to give a shout out to you all and a special  shout out to BluJayWay for giving me my first review on this story and also for the constant support she has shown to every other story I have posted. You rock!

Chapter 5 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:

Don't forget to leave your thoughts and remember that detailed reviews allow me to understand exactly what you like about my story. This is my very first attempt at an adventure story so I'm dying for your input. Thank you and enjoy! :)

Beatrice’s eyes widened with surprise. “TinMan? Where is he? Is he nearby?”

Scarecrow’s voice grew softer. “Not exactly.”

She gave him a look of bewilderment. “Where is he then?”

Scarecrow tucked in his lips to keep from speaking.

Beatrice stepped closer to him. “Hey, you brought it up so now you have to tell me. Scarecrow, where is TinMan?”

Without saying another word, he sheepishly pointed over her shoulder. When Beatrice turned around she saw the view of the Emerald City looking as though it had seen better days.

“He’s over there?” That didn’t make any sense to her. When she peered back at Scarecrow she said, “But I thought Rolin the munchkin said Emerald City was now invaded by the evil male witch, or whoever he is.”

“Dark warlock” he corrected her gently.

Beatrice shook her head dismissively. “Whoever.”

“It is” he told her sadly, “Emerald City has been taken over.”

She stepped even closer to him as she continued on. “And I was also informed that any Munchkin that isn’t in that hideout right now is held prisoner over there.” She pointed at the tall green buildings to her west, the same direction the Skywatchers and the giant stallion disappeared to.

Scarecrow reluctantly nodded once. “You were informed correctly.” He waited patiently as she put all the pieces together.

“Therefore, is it safe to assume that anyone else over there is either a prisoner or a loyalty to the…warlock?”

He held her gaze before he nodded again.

She gasped in disbelief, “TinMan is a prisoner?”

“Like many others over there” he said in a low tone.

“What about Lion?”

Scarecrow immediately diverted his eyes away from her but she had already seen the heartbreak shining through them. “That’s another story.” Before she could pry further on what was going on with Lion, he quickly took her by the hand and ran in the direction of the city that now lost its spark and excitement. “Come on. If we leave now we can make it there right at sunset.”

“What about the Munchkins? Don’t they need you?” she called out as they ran. Storm was still in her left hand.

“They’ll be fine as long as they don’t leave the hideout. Don’t worry though, they won’t.”

It wasn’t long before the two of them halted and reached a yellow path comprised of dull golden bricks. Tall grass surrounded it on each side. Beatrice gasped.

“It used to have a much more vibrant color” Scarecrow told her sadly. “Nothing is the same around here anymore.”

“It’s the yellow brick road” she said in wonderment. “Whoa, my mother wasn’t kidding about any of this.”

“We can’t take the road. It’ll be too obvious. This way.” He quickly led her into the tall grassy area. “We’re less likely to become spotted this way.”

“How will we be able to see TinMan if he’s a prisoner? Better yet, how can we go to the Emerald City without getting caught ourselves?”

“I know a way inside the city without being spotted. Rolin and I, along with some of the other Munchkins take this path when we go on raids for food and supplies. Plus, I have to visit TinMan every so often to slide him some oil or he won’t be any good to Wickus and he will have him destroyed. Until I can think up a way to free him and everyone else, this is what I have to do.”

Be any good to Wickus? That meant Wickus was using him for something. Poor TinMan. But more than anything, poor Scarecrow, Beatrice thought quietly as they ran on. He really was doing all he could to help the people in Oz, whether they were prisoners or runaways. Could he really save everyone all by himself? Beatrice didn’t doubt his ability to think up a clever plan but this didn’t sound like a one person job. Could this be why she was sent here? To help him out? But Scarecrow would need an army in order to successfully override a dark warlock, not just her. What could just the two of them do?

As they continued to run, Beatrice’s breath was growing shorter and shorter. Nothing but tall grass filled their vision so she had no idea how Scarecrow knew if they were still going the right way or not. At this point, all she cared about was rest. The moment she began to slow down, Scarecrow turned around to look at her.

“I’m sorry” she told him while coming to a complete stop and catching her breath. Storm hopped on the ground while she bent over and placed her hands on her knees. “I need a minute.”

“It’s okay. We can rest for a few minutes. It might be better if you sit down.” Beatrice took his suggestion and sat on the ground. Scarecrow followed suit and sat close enough that their arms brushed against each other.

Beatrice pretended not to have noticed the contact but she was very much aware of it but wasn’t complaining. Although she dared not say anything about it, she really did enjoy being very close to him. She couldn’t explain it but it just felt…right.

Storm soon caught her attention as the FlyMam started to pick at the ground with his paw. “What are you doing, Storm?”

“Smelling around for food, most likely” Scarecrow answered her.

“What do FlyMams usually eat?”

“Pretty much anything that’s edible but the ones that have someone to belong to will adopt the diet of their owner.”

She raised her eyebrows. “Cool.” She glanced back at Storm who still had his little nose in the ground. “I don’t have any food for you” she said apologetically. “You pulled me away from my world before I could even grab a slice of birthday cake my mom made for me. Which reminds me,” she turned back to Scarecrow. “Do you have any idea how he could have gotten in my world?”

Scarecrow was staring at her in disbelief. “Not sure. Beatrice, is today your birthday?”

“Yeah, why?”

He stood up abruptly. “Why didn’t you say anything?”

Beatrice was taken aback by his reaction. She still remained on the ground. “Uh…I don’t know, maybe because more things seem to be of greater significance than today being my birthday.” Yeah, things like a dark warlock taking over the Emerald City and almost getting crushed by a colossal stallion.

“But birthdays are special because they are beautiful reminders that you are a part of life. So you should definitely make today special as well as every other moment in your life. Look.” He removed a small piece of paper from his side and read out loud, “Sai Baba says that, ‘Life is a song – sing it. Life is a game – play it. Life is a challenge – meet it. Life is a dream – realize it. Life is a sacrifice – offer it. Life is love…” He slowly lifted up his eyes to hold Beatrice’s gaze before he finished his quote with a sweet smile on his face. “enjoy it.’”

That smile was a contagious one and had Beatrice doing the same thing. “You really are a clever one to have healthy little reminders like that on you every day.”

He chuckled and tucked the piece of paper away. “They keep me going. Speaking of going…” He turned his head towards the sun and narrowed his eyes. “We should probably get a move on if we want to beat the sunset.” He looked down at her and extended his hand.

She wasted no time reaching for it. Scarecrow yanked her up so swiftly that she collided into his arms and they both snickered.

“I’m sorry” he told her, but he didn’t look sorry at all. In fact, he was beaming down at her. The tip of his dark brown nose was touching on hers.

“No, it’s my fault” she laughed. “I just wasn’t ready for it.” Beatrice couldn’t help but to take a mental note of how delightfully strong Scarecrow was.

He didn’t ease away from her. “Beatrice?”

“Yeah?”

“You’re in Oz now so you should probably get ready for everything.” Without any kind of warning, Scarecrow was suddenly darting towards the Emerald City once more with Beatrice’s hand in his.

***

Luckily, Scarecrow and Beatrice made it to the Emerald City just before sunset. The horizon was beautiful behind them but Beatrice couldn’t admire it the way she really wanted to because she had to focus on not letting anyone see her.

When the two of them made it to the back wall of the city, they kept their back pressed against it in order to remain discreet as they crept forward. At some point, Scarecrow stopped and pressed at a certain area on the wall which gave in to his force and revealed to them a way inside the city.

“How did you do that?” Beatrice whispered.

“Miss One created this entrance a while back when the Munchkins and I had our first raid. She’s willed it to only open up to my hand. Just follow me and try to keep quiet.”

“Won’t someone see us come in?” she asked worriedly. This all just seemed too easy.

“It’s okay. I promise.” Scarecrow quickly crawled into the new passage way.

Beatrice gestured for Storm to go in next and she followed suit. Luckily, it wasn’t pitch black like the passageway to the Munchkins’ hideout, but it wasn’t a clear view either. She saw just enough to see what was going on in front of her.

They only crawled a few feet before they came to a dead end. Scarecrow listened to what was coming from the other side of the wall.

When Beatrice listened too, she heard a muffled sound of a piano playing someone singing. Was it blues?

Scarecrow softly scratched at it and was answered by a tap on the other side. He was definitely communicating with someone. He slowly pushed on the wall and it opened up like a door.

“Scarecrow, you’re just in time” someone whispered but Beatrice couldn’t see who it was just yet. All she could tell was that the voice belonged to a man. “TinMan’s is on right now and it shouldn’t be much longer.”

“Thank you, Simon.” Scarecrow crawled out, got to his feet, and immediately turned around to help Storm and Beatrice.

The strange man gasped. “Who’s this?”

When Beatrice got a good look at him she saw he was for the most part a normal man. There was nothing strange about him except for his costume which was a dramatic shade of black along with his makeup. His long sleeve shirt and slacks were all fabricated from silk and a bizarre black and gray mask sat on top of his head. As for his natural features, he was a dark skinned most likely in his late twenties or so.

“It’s okay. She’s here to see TinMan.”

Simon was looking over Scarecrow’s shoulder and at Beatrice with extreme curiosity. “I don’t think we’ve met before but yet you look oddly familiar.”

“You must have known my mother” she told him.

“Was she a beauty like you? It’s been so long since I’ve laid eyes on a beauty. Will you stay with me tonight?” Simon took an eager step forward while Beatrice took one step back and further behind Scarecrow.

Storm growled at Simon while Scarecrow gave Simon a disapproving sneer as he shielded Beatrice with his back.

Simon halted in his advance and took in concern Beatrice’s two bodyguards.

“Sounds like TinMan is almost done with his number” Scarecrow told him. “Why don’t you go greet him when he gets off stage and tell him that I’m here?”

“Very well.” Simon sadly exited the room and closed the door behind him.

Scarecrow turned to Beatrice. “Sorry about Simon. He said something like that to Dorothy a while back so that’s probably why he did that. You must have reminded him of her.”

“Is he a prisoner?”

He nodded. “Simon used to be one of the many people living here freely before the invasion. Like TinMan, he’s held captive here.” He began walking towards the door Simon just walked out of. His voice got lower when he said, “Right now, we’re in a backroom of a club where Wickus and many of his loyalties come for shows and entertainment.” Quietly, he cracked the door open just enough for the two of them to see a small view of TinMan tap dancing on stage with a fake smile plastered on his face.

TinMan, she mentally crooned. There he was, robotic and mechanic as ever but also so real looking. This was all like a fantasy world come to life. Before her was the man with the biggest heart her mother had ever known. Even though this was her first time ever laying eyes on him, Beatrice grew fond of him immediately and wanted more than ever to rescue him from this dreadful life. They were treating him as if he was some kind of circus animal.

Although, Beatrice couldn’t see them, she heard a rowdy crowd before him. They shouted at him, “Do something funny!” and “You did this number last week!”

TinMan ignored them and kept on singing and dancing. Eventually, he danced toward a statue of a dark skinned lady who had a severe case of obesity. He started singing along with the rhythm of the blues like melody, “Ateeny, why you gotta treat me so bad? Ateeny, I gave you my time, my money, and everything I had.” As he kept on shuffling his feet to beat, tears streamed down his face as he cried over and over, “Ateeny! Ateeny! Ateeny!”

The crowd erupted in laughter. “Look at him! He’s hopeless!”

“Poor TinMan” Beatrice whispered.

“He needs to get off stage soon, before he starts to rust himself. The minute Wickus and his loyalties see that, they’ll begin to feel that he’s not worth keeping around.”

At the end of his number, TinMan kneeled down on one knee with his arms extended out as he held on to his hat in his right hand. No applause was given, just a mighty roar of laughter.

TinMan didn’t move from his position. He was idle like a statue. He was as still as that Ateeny figure next to him.

Before anyone in the crowd could grow suspicious, Simon pulled on the curtain strings and shielded the stage. Scarecrow took this opportunity to jump out and help Simon carry TinMan back into the room.

Beatrice moved out of the way as they wondered inside.

Back on stage, a woman dressed in something similar as Simon, opened up the curtains and stole the show with an opera number Beatrice found to be very sad and depressing, but it seemed to be holding the crowd’s attention.

Scarecrow wasted no time pulling out a small oil can from the inside of his shirt and went to work on TinMan’s mouth, sliding oil down his throat.

TinMan gulped and sighed, “Thank you, my brother.” Beatrice remembered her mother telling her that he had such a soulful way of talking and she was correct. The rest of his body remained frozen in position until Scarecrow oiled him free and helped him up. The minute TinMan was on his feet, the two friends hugged. TinMan patted Scarecrow’s back affectionately. “It’s good to see you as always and once again you’re keeping me another day from becoming scrap metal.”

Scarecrow chuckled briefly.

As the two embraced, TinMan peered over Scarecrow’s shoulder and made eye contact with Beatrice. His gaze grew into astonishment as he slowly let go of Scarecrow and cautiously approached her. “I don’t believe it” he whispered out of pure amazement. Before Beatrice could stop him from making the same mistake as everyone else and call her Dorothy, he said, “You’re Dorothy’s daughter.”

She gasped at how correct he was. “How did you know that?”

TinMan laughed in delight. “I may be an old trooper but I ain’t no dumb trooper. You surely look like Dorothy but only enough to be a close relative. I’ll say though,” TinMan affectionately touched one of her curly strands of hair. “You are just as beautiful as your mother.”

Beatrice beamed at the compliment. “My mother always mentioned how kind you were.”

“How is she?”

She nodded and smiled. “Happy.” The moment she said that, she noticed Scarecrow turned away from them as if to hide his face and her smile faltered. “But she misses you all terribly” she added.

“Likewise” TinMan told her. “But allow me to be rude no more with my dwelling in the past and let me introduce myself properly to the next generation.” He stepped back and took her hand before presenting her with the most formal bow she’d ever seen. “My name is TinMan and it is an honor to make your acquaintance” he stated before kissing the back of her palm.

“I’m Beatrice” she smiled in delight at his chivalry. When she looked back up at Scarecrow, he was smiling in delight as well. His earlier sadness seemed to have evaporated.

“I knew you would want to meet her” Scarecrow told him.

TinMan rose from his bowing position. “That Scarecrow is a smart one, I tell ya.”

“Yes, he is” Beatrice said. “And we’re going to find a way to get you out of here.” She then peered at Simon. “All of you. Just be patient with us while we figure something out.”

“Oh no, Sweetheart. I’m afraid there isn’t much you can do for us” TinMan spoke sadly. “This dark warlock got more tricks up his sleeve than Eviline ever did. It’s best that you don’t get yourself mixed up in this madness.”

Too late, she thought. “I’m here for a reason, TinMan and I believe it is help you all. You can’t spend the rest of your live like this. How long have you all been enslaved?”

“The invasion happened a year after the girl with the silver slippers appeared and then left” said Simon. “We were invaded exactly twenty one years ago from today.” His voice turned pensive and grim. “I remember because that was the day my life changed and will never be the same again. The date was March 3rd 1979.”

Beatrice frowned. “So, the invasion happened exactly one year before I was born?” She turned to Scarecrow. “Today’s my birthday. I was born March 3rd 1980.”

“Does that sound like a coincidence to you?” Scarecrow asked TinMan with puzzlement and uncertainty.

TinMan eyed Beatrice in awe. “Sounds to me like she might have just been born to help us.”

End Notes:

More to come soon. Don't worry :)

Chapter 6 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:

I think a lot happens in this chapter so I'm really going to want to read everything you have to say about it. I hope you bless me with your feedback. I always appreciate it. Thanks. :)

Beatrice grew speechless at TinMan’s words. She understood that she was here for a special purpose but was that also the same purpose she was born for? Was she born for the sole purpose to help the people of Oz? Wasn’t that concept a little extreme though?

No one spoke. The only sounds that were heard were Storm brushing his wings against a leg of a chair—he must have had an itch he was trying to scratch—and the grimly dressed woman on stage singing an opera number that filled Beatrice’s heart with great melancholy.

Scarecrow, TinMan, and Simon were staring at her with pensive expressions, causing her to shift her weight from foot to foot. It was an action she did each time she was nervous or unsure about something. “Could you all please stop looking at me like that? I’m not sure what major change I can bring about.”

“Don’t fret, my flower” TinMan crooned with a smile. “I have a feeling that everything is going to work out for the best. And as long as you keep my good buddy Scarecrow here at your side,” He stretched an arm out in Scarecrow’s direction. “then you’ll be okay.”

Beatrice shook her head sadly. “TinMan, you forget that we’re just two people.”

TinMan reassuringly palmed her shoulders before whispering to her, “Just keep him nearby. He’ll teach you how to think big.”

She beamed once more. “I believe he’s already doing so.” When they both peered over at him, Scarecrow was blushing as he made a poor attempt to pretend like he wasn’t listening to them.

When the lady on stage ended her song, the audience responded with remarks like, “THAT WASN’T THE SONG WE ASKED FOR?” and “WHY DON’T YOU PEOPLE EVER SING ANYTHING FUNNY?”

Simon abruptly rose from his seat and whispered, “Christine was the last act. You two must go before the guards come back here.”

“Before you go,” TinMan moved over to the far corner of the room and kneeled. He pulled up a long piece of the wooded floor and removed a medium sized brown sack that was hiding beneath it.

Beatrice had no idea what was in the sack but she could see several round shapes coming through the bag.

TinMan handed the sack to Scarecrow. “It isn’t much but I think the Munchkins will appreciate it.”

Scarecrow nodded and gratefully retrieved the bag. “Thank you. We’ll be back really soon with a plan.” he promised. The two friends hugged before Scarecrow walked towards the secret passageway and extended a hand out for Beatrice, indicating that it was time to leave.

Simon walked over to Beatrice and gave her a devoted gaze. “I want to let you know that if you really do end up saving us and giving us all our home back, then I will be devoted to you until the end of time. Whatever you desire of me, it would be my pleasure to…”

“Beatrice” Scarecrow called out suddenly, cutting Simon off before he could finish his sentence. Scarecrow had a deep disapproving frown on his face. “We should really get going now.”

Beatrice whipped her head around at him and nodded eagerly. “Good idea.” She quickly jogged over to Scarecrow’s side before turning back to Simon. “Don’t worry. We’ll make sure things turn around for you all but…don’t worry about being devoted to me or anything like that.” She gulped and mentally thanked Scarecrow for stopping Simon from finishing that last sentence. “That won’t be necessary.” She almost gasped in surprise when she felt Scarecrow entwine his hand in hers. When she looked down that only confirmed that he was indeed holding her hand. His eyes, however, were still fixed on Simon with a frown.

Heavy footsteps were now being heard from the other side of the door. TinMan did a shooing gesture with his hands towards his friends. “Go, quickly!” he whispered.

“Will you be okay?” Beatrice whispered back with worry as Scarecrow tugged her closer to the hole they crawled out of.

TinMan gave her the sweetest smile. “Never fear, my flower. They can’t hurt me. I’m just a hollow shell.” Despite his grim situation, he winked at her.

She still worried about him. She worried about all of them. “Storm, come on.” The FlyMam quickly hopped through the dark opening and Beatrice climbed in with Scarecrow following suit. She soon heard the opening seal off behind them, but it didn’t seal off the voice of an angry guard that was demanding Simon and TinMan to tell him who they were talking to. She prayed they hadn’t gotten the two in any trouble.

“Just keep straight and we’ll end up back at the same spot from which we entered” Scarecrow’s velvet voice told her in a quiet tone.

When they finally exited the passageway, they were once again at the back wall, just like Scarecrow said they would be. The sky was a heavy dark blue with millions of golden stars scattering boldly across it with bright illumination. The Emerald City also produced light to some extent. The difference was the green light that radiated off of it was dim and miserable. These just weren’t happy times for the poor city.

Beatrice helped Scarecrow with the sack so that he could climb out. They ran a few feet away from the wall before pausing to catch their breath. “Do you think the guards know that we were there?” she asked him.

He shook his head. “There is no indication of our presence, giving them reason to infer that we were there.”

Despite her worry, Beatrice couldn’t help but chuckle.

“What’s so funny?”

“I’m sorry. I can’t get over the way you talk.”

“You don’t like it?” His tone was disappointed.

“I love it. You sound so…brainy.”

Scarecrow hauled the medium sack over his shoulder without taking his eyes off Beatrice.

“What’s in the sack?”

He took it off his shoulders and sat it down on the ground to reach inside of it. He handed her a green pear. “Hungry?” he offered.

Her stomach growled but she shook head no.

Storm, however, was jumping up and down in delight as he watched Scarecrow hold up the fruit. He squealed and his beautiful wings fluttered quickly. If he could fly, he definitely would have elevated himself in that moment out of excitement.

“It’s for the Munchkins. They need it more than I do,” she said.

“We all need food just the same and there’s still enough in here for them if you take one.”

Storm squealed once more and intentionally jumped a little higher, knocking the pear from Scarecrow’s hand. When it fell to the ground, Storm wasted no time attacking it with his teeth and snarling.

“Storm!” Beatrice protest. “We’ve got to work on your self-control when it comes to food.”

Scarecrow laughed. “It’s okay. Young ones are always hungry. Besides,” He dug inside for two more before standing back up. He offered one of the two pears to her. “I know you’re hungry. I can hear your stomach.” He extended the pear further. “It’s really fresh.”

She took the pear. “I have no doubt about that. Thank you.”

After the three of them finished their snack, Beatrice caught Storm with half of his body inside the sack with his tail waving happily at them as he munched on more fruit. “Storm!” She quickly pulled him out. Unsurprisingly, he was holding on to another pear as he looked at her with feigned innocence. “You really are something else, you know that?” She gave Scarecrow an apologetic look. “I truly am sorry.”

He shook his head with amusement. “That was my fault. I should have been watching the bag.”

Beatrice was puzzled. “What were you looking at then?”

His turned sheepish. “I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be rude but it’s hard to stop looking at you.”

“Oh. I guess I do look a lot like my mother. So I understand why you would be intrigued.” She tried her best not to sound disappointed. She knew that was the only reason why he even showed an interest in her.

“It’s more than that, Beatrice.” He eyed her curiously. “You reminding me of Dorothy may have been the initial reason why I found you interesting but now I see that…”

She stepped forward, still holding on to Storm who still kept a tight grip on that pear with his mouth. “See what?” she prompted.

He tilted his head to the side again in that examining way of his. “I see that you aren’t Dorothy.”

Since that statement was coming from Scarecrow, the one who obviously missed Dorothy more than anyone else, Beatrice wasn’t sure if he meant that as a compliment or an insult. “Scarecrow, were you in love with my mother?” she blurted out.

He quickly took a step back in surprise as if she shouted at him. He didn’t respond but gazed at her with astonishment.

“I won’t get mad if you are” she told him even though, truth be told, she wasn’t sure how she would really feel if his answer was yes. “I’m just…curious.” Heck, she was more than curious. She held her breath as she waited for his answer but he just looked on blinking.

It didn’t take her long to figure out that he wasn’t going to answer her, which ironically gave her the answer, didn’t it? Why else would he remain so quiet? She sighed after a moment, deciding to let it go. “I’m sorry for putting you on the spot like that. I won’t do it again. Forgive me?”


Scarecrow only nodded. He still hadn’t said a word in what felt like forever.

The two were quiet for an awkward moment until Beatrice said, “Should we head back to the hideout now?”

Seeming to have recovered from the shock brought on by her question, Scarecrow picked back up the sack and gave her a friendly smile. “Wait, there’s one more thing that needs to happen tonight. This way.” He ran with her in tow even further from the green city and towards a big cluster of trees in the West direction.

Once they were inside the forested area, they couldn’t see a thing, even most of the sky way out of view, courtesy of the towering saplings. Beatrice said, “Uh, you’re not trying to find more trouble for us to get into, are you? Because that’s what Storm is for,” she teased but her smile went away when she was met with silence. She couldn’t see him but he was still nearby, right? “Scarecrow?”

Scarecrow whistled a soft tune that carried a melody she was unfamiliar with. The moment he finished, a large tree in front of them lit up like a Christmas tree with multiple colors marking every leaf and branch. A soft echo of the tune Scarecrow just whistled suddenly erupted from it.

“Whoa” Beatrice whispered. The sudden light revealed to her that Scarecrow was only standing a few feet away from her and much closer to the colorful tree. She walked up to him, not taking her eyes off the captivating view. “Let me guess. It’s a magical tree.”

“No, but it’s the home to magical beings.” He pointed upward. “Those thousands of lights you see up there are bodies of Sprights. They love to respond to music.” He whistled again and on cue half of the tiny Sprights gracefully leapt off the tree and floated down towards them. Scarecrow whistled enough of the melody that they caught on very quickly and soon took over the entire song.

Beatrice’s mouth dropped in pure amazement. So many variations of blue, red, purple, green, yellow, orange, and pink were everywhere around them. She gently placed Storm on the ground so that she could touch one. The moment she raised her right hand, a green Spright landed on her pinky finger. If she squinted her eyes and tried to look past the bright illumination, she could see a small green pair of arms and legs moving gracefully as though it were dancing to the melody it was humming.

Beatrice could feel several of them landing in her hair and a purple one floated down in front of her, barely missing her nose. When she peered back over to the spot Scarecrow was standing in, he was no longer in sight. She felt someone standing behind her on her left side and when she glanced around she saw him quickly ducking over to her right.

Scarecrow snickered as he tried to keep close to her but remain out of sight. When she turned fully around to face him on, she saw that like her he was adorning several Sprights. At least three blue ones were dancing in his hair and so many orange ones were trying to coordinate with his orange and white sleeves. The Sprights lovely humming in the background only complimented Scarecrow’s words when he crooned softly to her, “Happy birthday. I figured this would be a good way to celebrate it.”

Beatrice’s face was occupied with a large grin. “Scarecrow, this is amazing.” She cupped a few more of the tiny colorful figures in her palms. After a moment, she gently began swaying to the rhythm of that sweet melody. “This makes me never want to leave.”

That got Scarecrow’s attention. She saw his eyes light up at her words. “Really?” His tone was hopeful.

She didn’t answer him. All she wanted to do at this point was dance with the Sprights. They were so fascinating.

Even Storm was playfully trying to jump up and catch the ones surrounding him. He squealed delightfully and ran in a circle.

Beatrice turned in a circle twice herself with her eyes closed and laughed when they started dancing with her. “I love this.”

Scarecrow caught her in his arms after her second spin and said thoughtfully, “Beatrice, are you saying that you want to stay here with me?”

So many Sprights were surrounding them at this point that she couldn’t even see the rest of the forest. All she saw was Scarecrow covered in orange and blue and behind him danced hundreds of colors of green and purple. They circled around the two of them like a Spright cyclone and their song grew louder.

Beatrice was in a trance of pure amazement. “Look what they’re doing around us” she whispered. “This is so awesome.”

“It could be” he breathed, holding on to her elbows. “I’ve never had anyone to call my own before. If you stay with me, Beatrice, it would be awe-inspiring. We can come here every night, if you wish it.” He was giving her a heart melting smile and she found it irresistible.

She could tell by the gleam in his eyes that whatever he was talking about meant the world to him but she was just simply going to have to ask him to repeat himself once the Sprights were done entertaining them with song and dance. The alluring melody and excitement surrounding them was too delightfully overpowering to focus on anything else. However, she loved seeing Scarecrow this happy and whatever he was talking about was truly taking him to the point of elation. Maybe he was going on about how amazing these beautiful creatures were. Beatrice definitely could agree with that. She nodded and said, “Absolutely.”

Scarecrow went rigid and gasped. His eyes grew wide when he said, “You will?”

“Whoa, look at those two!” Beatrice pointed at the orange and blue Spright floating above their heads. It looked as if the two Sprights were dancing. Maybe they were, Beatrice thought.

“I can’t believe this is really happening” he said in awe as he watched her happily enjoy the scene around them. Scarecrow said dreamingly and more to himself, even though Beatrice really hadn’t heard a word he had just said, “Now I know things are definitely going to be okay here in Oz because we have you to stay here with us forever.” Beatrice chuckled when a purple one brushed against her neck. She had no idea Scarecrow’s mouth was still moving. “I understand now why Dorothy was never meant to stay. She had to leave to give life to you because you are the one who’s meant to stay.” He grew even happier when he said, “You’re the one who’s meant to stay here with me.”

When she lock gazes with him again, she beamed and said, “Will you dance with me, Scarecrow?” She pulled on his arm and led them out of the swirling Sprights, causing the little magical beings to scatter all around them and break free from the intimate gathering. They still kept at their song.

Beatrice giggled and so did Scarecrow. Now that the magical beings were no longer huddling so close to them, she was finally able to hear Scarecrow and thought that the sound of his laugh was one of the sweetest things she’d ever heard.

The two of them jumped around and danced happily together for what felt like hours. Until to her surprise, Scarecrow had suddenly gotten intimately close and said with so much joy, “This is the best night of my life!”

That look he was giving her was a new one. His eyes were shining with so much admiration and tenderness. And it was equally captivating as the Sprights around them. She stopped her swaying to study the way he was gazing at her. He had her heart accelerating a little faster than usual. “Scarecrow?”

Without another word, he palmed her cheek with his right hand and slowly leaned forward.

Beatrice grew still like a statue and had almost forgotten how to breathe. Is this really going to happen, she mentally crooned. She realized this wasn’t a dream the moment his lips made contact with hers and created a tender kiss. The action was sweet and yet so powerful that it had her head swimming with enchantment.

When their lips finally parted, her head was screaming from the bliss she felt but her heart was shouting, WHERE THE HECK DID THAT COME FROM? Didn’t his silence from earlier imply that he was still in love with her mother? But then again, he never said that so maybe she just misinterpreted the silence wrong. She must have. Otherwise, Scarecrow wouldn’t have kissed her like that, would he?


She stared at him with a mixture of satisfaction and astonishment. “Scarecrow?”

His smile was triumphant. “‘When virtue and modesty enlighten her charms, the lustre of a beautiful woman is brighter than the stars of the heaven, and the influence of her power it is in vain to resist.’ Akhenaton said that and I incontestably agree.”

Whoa, Scarecrow and his words again were getting to her. She had no idea where all this was coming from, but she did know one thing. It was making her putty in his hands.

He leaned in for another kiss but halted when he heard a growling noise nearby. Beatrice heard it too and it alarmed her because she knew immediately that it wasn’t Storm. His growls can only go so deep since he was still a baby. His were more like adorable snarls. What Scarecrow and Beatrice were hearing right now belonged to a full grown animal.

The colorful Sprights abruptly ended their song and quickly began to retreat back to their tree, making things darker and more eerie looking where Scarecrow and Beatrice were standing.

Realization soon hit Scarecrow in the face as he looked around in the dark. “Oh, no” he whispered. “This isn’t good.”

“What is it?” Beatrice asked worriedly. But before he could answer her, her question was instead answered by a loud roar coming from the way in which they entered the forest. Beatrice was suddenly screaming loudly as she watched a big and ferocious lion charge straight at her with his teeth bared and ready for piercing.

End Notes:

After reading that scene, I'm sure you have some kind of opinion right about now. Please express your thoughts.

Chapter 7 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:

So sorry it took so long for me to get this chapter up. For a minute there I was suffering from a small case of writer's block but I think I made it through. Lol Just one of the fun perks of being a writer. Anyways, please leave your thoughts. The more you share with me, the easier I can infer what you like about my story. Enjoy!

“MOVE!!!” Scarecrow quickly shoved Beatrice out of the line of attack before raising his hands, palms out, towards the beast. “LION, STOP!!!”

Beatrice fell to the ground and screamed again when she thought the lion was going to tackle Scarecrow and knock him clean off his feet; but at the last minute the big cat halted inches away from Scarecrow’s face and growled menacingly. There was no way this could be THE Lion her mother told her so much about as a child. Needless to say, she expected him to be much friendlier, not to mention far more cowardly. Beatrice couldn’t help but notice that something was holding Lion back from hurting Scarecrow, despite the threatening look he was currently giving him.

“Out of my way, Scarecrow, before I take you in too,” Lion threatened through gritted teeth. “I told you last time that if I ever saw you again I would be obligated by law to take you to Wickus.”

What! Beatrice eyed the lion in disbelief. She prayed that she hadn’t heard him right. “You work for the warlock?” She asked, still in her spot on the ground.

Lion snarled and snapped his head over to her, baring his teeth. “You trespassed on the Emerald City’s grounds today, you and Scarecrow.” he accused and then shot his vicious glare back at his old friend. “You went to visit TinMan again, didn’t you?” When Scarecrow was quiet, Lion grimaced in disapproval. “Are you crazy or did you just turn stupid? I can’t put off your capture forever, you know that.”

“Lion,” Scarecrow spoke with the steadiest tone he could muster and only slightly lowered his white gloved hands. “Please.” His tone turned saddened as he begged. “You’re better than this. Okay? So don’t…” Lion roared and Scarecrow stumbled backwards from the impact and landed on the ground next to Beatrice. The two of them stared up at him with wild eyes.

“Be quiet!” Lion growled. In a lower tone he said while intentionally averting his eyes, “I made my decision.” Beatrice could have sworn that she heard a hint of disappointment when he said that. To her dismay, that spark of regret that was in him vanished when he fixed his eyes back on her and pointed at her. “If you cooperate and come willingly, I won’t have to hurt you.”

“Lion,” Scarecrow’s voice was softer than usual. “You don’t understand. She was sent here to help us. If you give us a chance, we can help free you from your servitude to Wickus.”

Lion groaned as if he was conflicted. “When are you going to let it go, Scarecrow? I’m doomed, alright? You’re doomed. Everyone in Emerald City is doomed. We’re all doomed. There’s nothing you and one girl can do to change that.” He reached down and yanked Beatrice up on her feet and began pulling her away.

Scarecrow immediately jumped to his feet.

Beatrice, however, wasn’t going anywhere without a fight. She fought as much as she could against his pull and cried, “No!” The moment Lion turned his face around to threaten her again, Beatrice ran her free hand across his cheek. “Listen to us!” she yelled. “We can help you!”

“Beatrice,” Scarecrow gasped in fear. It was obvious that he didn’t think that was a smart move on her part. When she peered at him he whispered, “He’s no longer the cowardly lion.”

Looking back over at Lion proved that Scarecrow was correct. Lion wasn't crying. Instead, he was displaying some fierce elongated fangs. Needless to say, he was furious and she immediately regretted her action. Oops.

Before Lion could react, Scarecrow frantically jumped between them and quickly stated, “She’s Dorothy’s blood,” hoping that would change everything. Although Lion was still gripping Beatrice’s arm, Scarecrow was able to shield the rest of her body from him.

Lion froze and processed his old friend’s words. All growling ceased and all that was heard were the uncanny background noises coming from the forest. Beatrice had no idea if the sources of the sounds were animals or the forest itself. In this world, it could go either way.

Lion was so quiet. Did it work? Had Scarecrow finally reached out to him? After what felt like an eternity of silence from Lion, he said, “You’re lying to me.”

Scarecrow shook his head. “If you look at her closely, Lion, you can see that she’s her daughter.” It wasn’t without reluctance and extreme caution but he side-stepped out of Lion’s way so that he could view her properly.

Beatrice could feel Lion staring at her with deep scrutiny. Even though she had difficulty seeing his features clearly in the dark, she knew that he didn’t possess the same problem. After all, lions could see about seven times better than humans could at night. This was a good thing though. After realizing who she was related to, Lion would see that she was sent here for a reason and give her and Scarecrow a chance to help him, a chance to help all of them under Wickus’ rule.

As soon as she was getting ready to relax under his stare, he snarled unexpectedly, “Do you think I’m a fool? You’re not Dorothy’s blood.” His grip tightened on her arm.

Her eyes widened with panic. “What?”

“If Dorothy did have a daughter she would have to still be a small child” He bared his fangs again.

That didn’t make any sense. Her mother’s visit here happened twenty-two years ago. That was plenty of time to have a full grown child.

Scarecrow stepped closer. “No, Lion. It’s true. Time works differently in their world…”

“I DON’T BELIEVE YOU!” He roared but Scarecrow didn’t flinch this time. He just appeared to be extremely overwrought.

“Ow,” Beatrice cried as she tried to get her arm out of Lion’s tight embrace.

“You’re hurting her!” Scarecrow willed a ball of blue light in the palm of his right hand. The illumination allowed Beatrice to see her friend’s pain stricken expression. She knew part of it was because she was in danger but the main cause of his emotion was the fact that one of his best friends was working for the enemy. This had to be so hard for him to accept. “Lion, please let her go,” his velvet voice pleaded. He pulled out his big slingshot and reluctantly got his two items in position.

“Scarecrow,” Lion groaned as if he was in a dilemma. “Please don’t make me hurt you. I don’t want to do it.”

“Lion, listen to Scarecrow, please,” Beatrice begged. “You have to trust us. We can get you out of this.” Man, she really did wish if he wasn’t going to let go of her arm anytime soon then he would at least ease up on his grip a bit. He was interrupting her blood flow, for crying out loud!

The illumination from Scarecrow’s weapon permitted Beatrice to see a flick of pain in Lion’s eyes. “You two don’t understand.” His voice croaked. “There is no getting out of this because there’s no way of defeating a warlock. It’s never been heard of.”

Beatrice eyed him with disbelief. “Have you forgotten how my mother defeated…”

Lion cut her off and spoke with annoyance. “Eviline was a witch and witches melt when they’re in contact with water. That rule doesn’t apply to warlocks. Water doesn’t affect them.”

Well that definitely was a bummer.

Scarecrow dissolved his ball of blue light and lowered his slingshot. “We’ll figure something out” Scarecrow crooned and nodded encouragingly at Lion. “Desmond Tutu said that ‘Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness.’”

That quote made Beatrice smiled. She nodded too. “We can change things, Lion. You just have to be brave and trust us. Can you do that? Can you be brave enough to trust us?”

“Brave,” Lion whispered thoughtfully to himself.

Yes! They were reaching him. Scarecrow and Beatrice nodded eagerly.
They held their breaths as they watched him envision the possibilities of a change. Come on, Lion and say yes, Beatrice mentally pleaded.

The moment was gone when they heard someone clapping gradually off to the side. All three of them turned to peer at their unexpected audience. Beatrice stepped back as she witnessed three dark figures that were completely inhuman standing about twenty feet away. Since Lion was momentarily distracted by their observers, she was finally able to slip her arm out of his hold but she felt no relief as she stared at these beings. They obtained a frightening appearance to that of adult-sized voodoo dolls but with hands and feet. Judging by the way they were watching her, Scarecrow, and Lion, she figured they weren’t friendly beings either. Her heart accelerated in fear.

The middle one was clapping while the other two snickered. “Beautiful,” the middle stated in a deep muffled voice. Beatrice was surprise that they could talk at all since neither of them had any mouths, which made them even scarier to watch. The only feature their faces possessed were an over large pair of buttons which no doubt functioned as their eyes. “I must say, I was quite moved by that inspiring conversation. Heck, it almost made me want to switch sides.”

His two other companions laughed harder. The one standing on the left said, “Too bad we relish too much in other people’s sufferings.” There was no distinguishment of voices. Both tones were muffled with a sound that was deep and unnerving.

Beatrice moved closer to Scarecrow until their arms touched and she was able to entwine her left hand in his. He instantly wrapped his fingers around her hand in a protective embrace. Strange. Despite the frightening beings that were in front of them and the fact that Scarecrow was just as terrified as she was, Beatrice felt a bizarre zing of energy shoot through her as she made physical contact with him. If he wasn’t here with her now, she would be experiencing fear on an ultimate level.

“We don’t want any trouble,” Scarecrow stated carefully as he discreetly began willing a small ball of blue light in the hand that was connecting with Beatrice.

She tried not to gasp when she felt the tiny light’s warm and tingly sensation as it danced between their hands. Now she understood why Scarecrow loved this new ability so much. It gave off an exciting feeling of power. She could even feel it connecting the two of them on a whole new level, making her wonder if Miss One’s radiance was capable of doing more than just harming enemies, but also uniting the strength of companions.

“Well trouble definitely wants you,” said the third one before taking a step forward. “Well done, Lion.”

“About time you caught that scarecrow,” the first one cried out.

Lion stepped forward and laughed nervously. “Haha. Hey, Boomer, Zoomer, and…” He gulped. “Doomer. I thought you guys were examining the other side of the forest.”

“Wickus has been having doubts about you lately so we decided to follow you instead,” the middle on responded. “Good thing too. Apparently, this is where all the fun is.”

“Fun? Oh, no. There’s no fun here,” Lion rambled. “Just capturing myself some prisoners because that’s what I do. Haha,” he laughed nervously again and rubbed his mane. “Wickus doesn't have anything to worry about.Why don’t you all scan the west side? I’ll take care of these pathetic ones over here.”

All three voodoo creatures advanced on them as one of them said, “If I didn’t know any better, Lion, I would think you were trying to get rid of us so that you could help these…‘pathetic ones.’”

“Have you truly forgotten who you are supposed to be loyal to?” another one asked with obvious fury as they came closer.

“Stop! Don’t come any closer” Beatrice ordered as she, Scarecrow, and Lion took a step back for every step the voodoo creatures took forward. She and Scarecrow were careful not to break their connection on each other. She could feel the light getting warmer and warmer in their palms. It soon reached a point where it was hot like fire. Surprisingly though, the temperature didn’t bother her or Scarecrow. Did he understand what was happening between them? Because she had no clue. However, the quick glance Scarecrow gave her told her that she was right not to break their link. Whatever was brewing between them in this moment was obviously something extremely powerful and beneficial.

Lion cleared his throat. “Get rid of you? Of course not. It’s just…”

“NO!!!” Beatrice screamed when she saw a fourth life-sized voodoo doll lookalike a few feet away hanging Storm upside down from his bushy tail, getting ready to put him in a big sack. Storm’s wings fluttered frantically as he wailed in a loud panic.

A strange instinct came over her and Beatrice brought her and Scarecrow’s entangled hands up and aimed them in the direction of Storm's capturer. The blue radiance grew brighter as it enlarged itself, causing her and Scarecrow to break physical contact and grip the sides of the circular light instead. Suddenly, it shot away from them and aimed straight at the evil creature holding her pet. It was a perfect shot, aimed directly at his side and completely missing Storm. The FlyMam landed on his feet and ran towards Beatrice as fast as his little legs could carry him while the big Voodoo monster erupted into nothing but a pile of stringy fabric lying on the ground.

Beatrice gasped in disbelief at what she and Scarecrow had just done. When she peered over at him, his mouth was wide open with amazement.

Storm quickly climbed up Beatrice's back as the other three foes growled together in dismay, "NO!!!" And in no time, the creepy beings were charging at them.

Lion quickly locked gazes on Beatrice and whispered, “Don’t let them catch you” before he deliberately tackled Scarecrow, knocking him clean off his feet as he growled and began to attack him.

Beatrice screamed. What the hell was Lion doing? Before she could pull on Lion’s mane and get him off of Scarecrow, she was in an unrelenting hold of one of the giant voodoo dolls. The feel of him felt like a poor-stitched pillow case. “LET ME GO!!!” She tried to squirm away from him but was quickly hauled over his shoulder before he darted off with her. The other two were right behind him, not bothering with Scarecrow since Lion was handling him just fine. Beatrice could see Scarecrow struggling with Lion on top of him. “NO, LION. STOP!!!” she called as she was being hauled away. “SCARECROW!!!” Why was Lion turning on them? And right after he told her to not let these things catch her? He really needed to figure out which side he was on because he was starting to piss her off.

When Storm squeaked out of fear, Beatrice detached him from her and threw him in the dark grass knowing he would land on his feet. “GO! GET OUT OF HERE!!!”

One to the creatures tried to catch him as he scurried off but he was too small and too quick; although for some big creatures, these things moved pretty fast.

“Leave it” the third one ordered. “Wickus will be pleased with the one we have now.”

Although her fate didn’t look good one bit, she found it impossible to think about anything else other than Scarecrow. He was dying by his friend’s hand and instead of being able to help him she was being taken away to be either a prisoner or killed by Wickus the Wicked.

Tears fell down her face as she continued to hear Lion’s snarls long after she lost sight of the two of them. She could feel her heart shattering into a million pieces as she wailed out once more, “SCARECROW!!!”

End Notes:

Things are looking pretty bad right now for Beatrice and Scarecrow. What do you think?

Chapter 8 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:

This chapter should explain a few things for you all. Please review and let me know what you think. :)

Beatrice woke to the feel of her body being tossed on the cold hard floor. Her head was killing her so she figured one those creepy giant dolls must have knocked her out cold. She groaned and attempted to blink away the blurriness that was currently crowding her vision. The throbbing in her skull was painful but not as painful as the ache in her heart. Scarecrow, her heart called out to him with so much sorrow she almost broke into a sob at just the thought of him, but she refused to let her enemies see her broken. No matter what, she had to appear strong. Lion made his choice and chose the wrong side. There was no way she was going to let him get away with this. Where was she? The strange room she was lying in the middle of was dark and Beatrice sensed an unsettling presence.

“Rise for the dark warlock,” one of the three ugly dolls ordered her in that deep, muffled tone. When she slowly turned her head around, she saw all three of them standing behind her with their jet black buttons for eyes looking past her and focused on something else…or someone else.

Her head protest some more as she lifted it higher off the ground and rose to a kneeling position. Reluctantly, she turned to look in the direction her foes were staring in. The room was spacious and practically empty, with the exception a single person use bed stationed a few feet to her left and an immense pile of some kind of silver colored shredded material sitting a few yards away on her right. However, neither one of those things had the focus of Beatrice’s capturers.

Directly ten feet ahead of her, a tall dark figure was penetrating her with a frightening stare that possessed diamond shaped irises the color of crimson. Beatrice’s heart was humming mercilessly out of fear while her entire body froze. The rest of the stranger’s face was hidden by the darkness but Beatrice could make out that he was wearing a large dark cape or long robe of some kind that draped over all over his body from the neck down. She didn’t have to ask who this person was. Her intuition gave her that answer. A sound mixed with annoyance and bordom erupted from him. “This is the one who wounded my stallion and has been causing me all this trouble?” He was clearly unimpressed and displeased by the sight of her.

Beatrice frowned at the sound of his voice. It wasn’t at all what she expected. His tone was deep but it wasn’t nearly as deep as the ones the giant dolls possessed. In fact, he sounded young, much younger than she imagined him to be.

“What a disappointment,” he stated as he stepped closer to her, allowing more of his face to come into view. Aside from his abnormal eyes and strange markings over his face, his features were actually normal. He looked human and somewhat boyish even. He had to be only a few years younger than Beatrice, like eighteen or nineteen. His skin was the shade of mocha and his red and black hair was styled in tiny spikes all around his head. But what got Beatrice’s attention the most were the red and black swirly designs that were rooted all over his cheeks. It made her recall the times when her mother would describe the appearance of Eviline. According to Beatrice’s mother, Eviline also had markings similar to these on her face, though hers were completely red. Was this a mere coincidence or were these two beings linked somehow?

When he crouched before her and was at eye level, she said with disbelief, “You’re only a boy.”

His grimace deepened and the dolls behind them started to growl in disapproval.

“Stupid girl. I’m no boy. I’m someone who you has your life in the palms of his hands. Therefore, you’ll do well not to upset me.” His glare intensified but for some reason Beatrice was no longer intimidated by him.

Her eyebrows shot up in surprise. What did he just call her? “Stupid? I’m not the one who looks like a wannabe Dracula.” She scrutinized him with a frown. She couldn’t believe this…boy was her threat. “Are you really Wickus the Wicked?” Apparently, he wasn’t the only one who was disappointed. Involuntarily, she smirked, swiping all the fury off of Wickus’ face and replacing it with astonishment. His wide eyed expression made him look even younger.

“HOW DARE YOU INSULT WICKUS THE WICKED!!!” The three huge dolls roared simultaneously as one of them took hold of her shoulders and slammed her down on her back with a strong might. She groaned in pain as her body made unfriendly contact with the hard cold surface beneath her.

As her capturers held her down, Wickus got on his hands and knees and hovered over her. He stared at her with puzzlement and curiosity. “No one has ever dared spoken to me like that. Who are you, girl? And why aren’t you afraid of me?”

Beatrice didn’t like him being this close to her. If her arms and legs weren’t being held down she would have kicked him where it hurts. She squirmed but it was a failed attempt at getting those darn ugly dolls to release her. She met Wickus’ gaze with a loathing expression. “I’m not afraid of you. I despise you for what you’ve done to the Munchkins and the people of Emerald City.”

He raised one eyebrow as he studied her. “I won’t ask you again. Who are you, strange girl?”

“I’m the one who’s going to end you. That’s all you need to know.”

“Let us kill her, oh Wicked One” requested the voodoo doll that was holding down her legs. “You don’t have any use for her.”

Wickus smiled and leaned in closer to her. Beatrice had half a mind to spit in his face. He told her, “If you’re going to end me, you might want to do it now before my loyalties end you.” He watched her struggle with satisfaction. “What’s wrong? Can’t seem to get free of them? Why don’t you merely do to them the same thing you did to my stallion earlier today? I would love to see it.”

Beatrice narrowed her eyes at him. “I’d rather perform that action on you. Why are you even taking over the Emerald City? What did these people and the Munchkins ever do to you?”

His face was filled with intrigue. “Interesting. Your bravery isn’t something I’m accustomed to and therefore, it…amuses me. You are very strange indeed. But you can’t expect me to answer any of your questions without you answering any of mine.” Wickus diverted his eyes to her clothing. He picked at her jean jacket. “Your strange clothing tells me that you’re not from this world, correct?”

“Don’t touch me” she sneered.

“You’re in no position to give orders, bizarre girl.” When his hands went to examining her jean pants, Beatrice got really furious.

“I SAID GET OFF OF ME!!!” She managed to yank her right leg free from the voodoo doll’s hold and kneed Wickus straight in the face before slamming her foot into him. When he fell back, the other two giant dolls ran to his aid, while the one that was holding her down yanked her up by the shoulders and slammed her against the nearest wall.

“NOW, YOU DIE!!!” He exclaimed in that disoriented voice.

Uh-oh. This was it.

“No,” Wickus’ voice was calm but powerful enough to make that angry doll stop his actions immediately. After the other two dolls helped him get on his feet, Wickus approached her as he massaged his jaw. “I don’t want her dead.”

“But sir, not only has she insulted you but she’s also inflicted you with pain,” cried the doll on his left.

“I know.” Wickus’ gaze was focused only on her. Beatrice saw no look of hatred or fury present, only determination. But what was he determined to do with her if he didn’t want to kill her? He grabbed the doll that had her pinned against the wall and shoved him out the way so that he was staring at her full on. “You’re the first person I’ve ever met to have this audacity towards me. I think I like it.”

Beatrice’s eyeballs practically popped out of her head after hearing him say that. Was he for real? Although there wasn’t anyone physically holding her down any more, she still felt held in place by that unsettling look the dark warlock was giving her. Plus, she knew trying to make a run for it now wouldn’t do her any good.

“Tell me something,” Wickus had a strand of her tight curly locks between his right thumb and index finger. “What do you know about the girl with the silver slippers who came here twenty-two years ago? Like you, she was not from this world. Ones that knew her personally, called her Dorothy.”

Her eyebrows shot up in surprise. He knew her mother? Strange. She had never mentioned him to Beatrice in any of her stories.

His grin deepened. “So you do know her. How so?”

Beatrice remained quiet. She wasn’t telling this man…uh…boy anything.

He stepped closer, much to Beatrice’s dismay. It was bad enough that he was stroking her hair, for crying out loud! “As much as I love your defiance, my patience only goes so far.” In one quick move, Wickus went from caressing her curly strand of hair to cupping her neck with one hand. She gasped. “This is my final time asking you. What is your connection to Dorothy? I know there is one.”

“Dorothy is her mother.” Lion’s voice filled the room as he crowded the doorway. “And the girl’s name is Beatrice.”

TRAITOR! YOU KILLED SCARECROW!!! Beatrice wanted to scream at him those words, among other things but was unable to.

Wickus released her neck. “Excellent news, Lion.” He praised him without taking his eyes off his newest prisoner. “Let this be a lesson to you…Beatrice. I shall always have my way.”

At this point, Beatrice just wanted to break down and cry. She didn’t care what happened to her but…Scarecrow, she crooned mentally. Looking at Lion only replayed the memory of him attacking Scarecrow in the forest. To make things worse, he wore no remorse. Neither was his expression triumphant but she still wanted Lion to pay for hurting him. How could he?

“Have you completed your task?” One of the voodoo dolls asked Lion as he walked further inside.

After giving a quick bow of respect to Wickus and intentionally not meeting Beatrice’s gaze, he said, “What’s done is what should be done.”

The dolls laughed together in triumph.

“You killed him!” Beatrice spoke with hate and disgust. There was no stopping the tears now from falling down her face. “That was your friend and he was my…” She stopped herself because she had no idea where she was going with that. Her heart had taken over as she spoke.

“Looks like someone fell in love with the Scarecrow” stated one of the dolls as the other two laughed hysterically.

Lion glanced at her for a few quick seconds and no doubt his eyes were trying to communicate something to her his mouth couldn’t. Whatever it was, she didn’t care to know. She didn’t want to hear anything he had to say. He was in the wrong and he knew it.

A now unhappy Wickus had his palms roughly cupping both sides of her face. “I refuse to hear you talk about that pathetic Scarecrow. He was worthless and met a well-deserved fate. Your attention needs to be solely on me, girl. Or should I say, daughter of Dorothy.”

Beatrice didn’t think it was possible to hate this warlock more than she already did, but she was wrong. She wished more than anything that he would stop touching her. “You have the answer to your question and now I need you to answer mine. How do you know my mother?”

“I don’t.”

Beatrice frowned in confusion.

“But I supposed you can say she knew my mother very well.”

Realization slapped Beatrice in the face as her stare lingered on the strange red and black markings on his face. More dread engulfed her. “Eviline,” she breathed. “Eviline was your mother.”

That evil smile grew even bigger. “Defiant, amusing, and intelligent. You are quite the package.” One of his long nails scraped the side of her cheek as he ran his thumb back and forth against her skin. “Which is why I’m going to make you mine.”

Huh? “What?” Did she hear him right? Even the Lion and the three voodoo dolls were watching on with incredulity.

“Of course you would have to clean up your act a little bit first but I think I can make a fun and descent consort out of you.”

This didn’t make any sense to her. Was he for real?

Lion’s mouth was practically scrapping the floor.

One of the dolls cleared his throat. “Forgive me, oh Wicked One, but do you think it is wise to seek companionship with the daughter of the woman who killed your mother?”

“Is that why you took over Emerald City?” Beatrice asked suddenly. “To seek revenge on the place that helped my mother defeat your mother?”

Wickus shrugged. “Call it revenge or call it a great opportunity to seek power. Being known only as the son of Eviline, Wicked Witch of the West made me angry. I never had the intention of forever living in my mother’s shadow. So when I heard about her demise, I relished in the fact that the odds were finally in my favor. That was when I left the west side of Oz and invaded the Emerald City, giving me the name Wickus the Wicked. In short, I’m quite grateful to your mother. She painted the way for me to get where I am today.”

Beatrice watched him with complete disgust and hatred. How could one talk this way about their own mother?

He turned and walked away from her as he continued on with his story. “Disappointingly, the mission was far too easy. I come here with my Skywatchers, Sleuth, and Hulkpuppets,” He gestured at his loyalties that resembled tall voodoo dolls. “thinking this mission was going to possess some sort of fun challenge, but nothing.” After pacing a few feet, he turned back around to lock gazes on her again. “Turns out, all the mumbo jumbo we’ve heard about the great and powerful wizard of Oz dwelling here in the Emerald City was bogus.”

That didn’t surprise Beatrice at all since she knew the whole story of how Herman Smith, an ordinary man, accidently landed his hot air balloon in the world of Oz. Eventually, the people of Oz claimed him to be the Wiz and he never bothered with telling them the truth.

“He was a wretched man with no powers of any kind.”

Beatrice swallowed her panic. Although she was scared to ask, she asked him, “What did you do with him?”

Wickus’ smile faded into disappointment. “My inadequate Skywatchers let him get away, along with that annoying Scarecrow and some other absconders during the invasion.” He lifted up a finger. “Luckily, all is not lost.” Wickus peered over at Lion who was looking very uneasy. “My loyal Lion here has made this a day I will never forget. You have the next twenty-four hours off, as a reward. You deserve it for getting rid of Scarecrow finally. That walking and talking pile of garbage caused me enough trouble over the years.”

Beatrice’s hands were clenched in fists at her side. She wanted to make him suffer for speaking of Scarecrow that way.

When he looked back at Beatrice, she averted her gaze down towards her feet. She had enough of staring into those blood red irises. It made her sick. “And you’ve found me a mate as well, Lion.”

Ugh. Yup, she was definitely going to be sick. Another set of teardrops silently strolled down her cheeks.

“Sir” one of the voodoo dolls, or Hulkpuppets, called out to him. “Shall we celebrate your victory by going down to the blues club tonight?”

Ignoring his suggestion, Wickus advance towards Beatrice once more with a predator gaze. “I will make you mine first thing tomorrow.”

When he was close enough to touch her, she lifted her head up and with so much loathing in her eyes she told him, “I rather die than be joined with you.”

Wickus brought a hand to her face. She frowned and quickly moved away from his touch but he still managed to make contact with her. He ran a finger down her tear-stained cheek and brought it to his mouth. “Hmm,” he crooned in a tone that made her insides crawl. “I don’t know why, but you’re insolence is very…delicious.”

“And everything about you is just repulsive” she retorted.

“What a wild flame you are. Enjoy your final night of being single.” He turned to walk away and the Hulkpuppets followed his lead. “If you get hungry, just yell and Boomer here will bring you food.” He was referring to the Hulkpuppet on his right.

Not a chance, she thought to herself. She rather starve.

“Until tomorrow.” Wickus gave her one final smile and she met it with a look that said, if you try to come near me tomorrow it’ll be the last move you ever make. “Oh, boy, do I love a challenge” he crooned as he finally exited the room with his loyalties trailing behind him.

Lion was still in the room, no doubt waiting until Wickus and the Hulkpuppets were far enough not to hear their conversation.

But Beatrice didn’t want to talk. She just want to mourn and grieve for her friend. She slid her back down the wall and landed on the floor with her arms hugging her knees. She heard Lion take a few steps towards her. “Don’t come near me” she warned him without looking up at him. “Before I do to you the same thing you did to Scarecrow.”

“Beatrice,” he started but she cut him off.

“Don’t talk to me.”

“I have to tell you something. I have to tell you that-“

“Leave me alone, Lion. I mean it.” If he didn’t leave soon, her anger was going to get the best of her.

“Beatrice, this is important. This is about Scarecrow.”

The sound of that traitor saying his name damn near made her see red. She hopped up and ran her palm across his face as hard as she could. He whimpered at the impact but she didn’t care. She pointed a finger at him. “You are NOT allowed to talk about him, let alone say his name. How can you live with yourself? You may have killed him but you’re still a coward. You know what’s right but you’re too much of a weakling to do the right thing.” She was sobbing now. “Scarecrow believed that there was still good in you but you let him down. No. You did something worse than that. YOU KILLED HIM!” She shoved him and he slightly stumbled backwards. “YOU KILLED THE ONE I LOVED AND NOW I’M FORCED TO MARRY THAT POOR EXCUSE FOR A WARLOCK!!! GET OUT!” She continued to shove him until he backed out the door, despite his protesting. “GET OUT! GET OUT! GET OUT!”

When Lion finally stumbled his way out the room, Beatrice crumbled into a sobbing mess on the floor, wishing that she had realized sooner that she had fallen in love with who use to be the most intelligent, funniest, and sweetest being in all of Oz.

End Notes:

Poor Beatrice. Leave your comments. I want to know everything you have to say about this chapter. Thank you so much for reading :)

Chapter 9 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:

I hope you all really enjoy this chapter. I'm finally done with finals so I thought I start my summer off right by giving you all an update! Don't forget to review please! :)

Beatrice eventually cried herself to sleep, remaining in her fetal position on the cold hard floor in the middle of that dark abandoned room. Instead of dreaming about Scarecrow, her mind was actually doing more of replaying his angelic smile constantly and relentlessly just in case the mere thought of him no longer being alive wasn’t torture enough.

However, at some point, her mind went from flashing painfully sweet images of him to showing a vision of him that actually looked quite real, especially when he extended his hand out to her with so much longing and desperation apparent in his eyes. He was mouthing something to her but she couldn’t hear him. She figured from the way he was watching her that he had asked her a question and was holding his breath as he now waited for her reply. But what was he asking her?

Without hesitation, she called out to him with equal desperation and tried to take hold of his hand but she couldn’t make contact with him. Why did he seem so close but so far away?

To her dismay, Scarecrow dropped his stretched out hand in defeat. His shoulders sunk and his head hung low. Scarecrow had become melancholy. Reluctantly, he turned his back to her and began walking away from her.

Beatrice’s heart was beating frantically as she called out to him again in a panic. Why was he leaving her? Was it because she couldn’t touch him or because she was unable to hear his question? What did he want from her? She kept calling out to him with urgency and nearly screamed when she saw his silhouette begin to fade into nothingness. “DON’T LEAVE ME!!!” she bellowed out before feeling a big hand clamp down on her mouth, muffling every sound she uttered.

She closed her eyes and tried to squirm out of whoever’s hold she was in. Beatrice could feel her fury stirring inside of her. Whoever this person was, they were making her lose Scarecrow forever. The more aggressive she became with trying to escape, the tighter the stranger held her. Beatrice kicked and swung her arms as she heard an angry familiar voice shout at her, “Wake up!”

The moment she opened her eyes, Beatrice found herself back in the cold, dark room with Wickus’ palm covering her mouth with an uncomfortable force. His red irises were piercing through her with a flaming fury. “What did I tell you about uttering that walking piece of garbage’s name? Have you any idea how disrespectful that is to your new fiancé?”

Beatrice made an attempt to scratch at his eyes but he quickly leaned his head back to dodge her attack, still palming her mouth.

Instead of taking her action seriously, he smiled at her mischievously and said, “We have yet to be joined and you already can’t keep your hands off me. This is going to be fun.”

Beatrice could hear a few of his Hulkpuppets laughing in the background.

“I hate you,” Her voice was muffled since he had yet to remove his hand from her lips but her words didn’t go unperceived.

He leaned in a little closer but not too close to give her another chance at trying to assault him. “Good. You’ll be surprise at the power hatred can give you. Target that at everyone who is inferior to you and we’ll be just the same. You will make an incredible consort for me.”

She groaned out of abhorrence. Her hands were cupping his wrist as she tried to pull his hand off of her but it was no use. Although he didn’t quite look it, he was much stronger than she was.

“Time to get up, strange beauty of mine. Today’s a big day for us.” In one quick move, Wickus jerked her up on her feet and brought her face just inches away from his. Those weird red and black markings he possessed all over him were enough to make her want to gag. “I’m sure you need a fair amount of time to gussy up for me, right? I’ll send for some of the female prisoners and have them assist you.”

“Not happening.” Beatrice struggled against his tight hold of her. “I told you last night that I chose death over you, so you might as well just-“

“Just what? Kill you so that you can be with your beloved Scarecrow?” He spat out that last sentence with disgust. “I don’t think so. Come on.” He hauled her out of the room with his two loyalties trailing behind them.

Beatrice had not the slightest clue where Lion was but was grateful for his absence. She was going to be pretty furious with him for a very, very… Her thoughts were soon interrupted by a commotion that was heard behind them.

One of the Hulkpuppets seemed to had lost his balance as his huge body slammed against the wall, making the sound echo throughout the hallway. He growled in pain.

“What happened to you?” The second Hulkpuppet asked him with annoyance.

When Beatrice peered down at his leg, she saw what looked like an arrow piercing his leg. Who threw that arrow? A strange filling of hope shot through her.

“We have an intruder!” One cried furiously.

Wickus hissed with agitation as he tightened his hold on Beatrice. “Then do something about it, dimwit!”

A chuckle was heard coming from the opposite end of the hallway. Together, they all peered in the direction of the sound. Beatrice gasped at the sight of Rolin the Munchkin holding a bow in his left hand while reaching behind himself with his right hand for another arrow.

“A Munchkin!” Wickus shouted in anger and disbelief.

This didn’t make any sense to Beatrice as well. What on Earth was he doing here? Why wasn’t he back at the hideout? How did he even know she was here?

Great amusement was shining through Rolin’s eyes as he shot the second arrow. Beatrice quickly ducked and gave Rolin’s weapon perfect access to the second Hulkpuppet, aiming at his stomach. The large doll howled loudly as he clutched his torso but he and the first one Rolin shot were still very much alive.

“AFTER HIM!!!” Wickus wailed at his injured Hulkpuppets as if he couldn’t understand what the two were fussing over. “You’re still alive so go get him! NOW!!!”

“Rolin, get out of here!” Beatrice called after him but he didn’t appear frightened at all.

Rolin tittered some more. “Looks like I’ve started a fun game of tag. You’re it. Catch me, if you can.” And with that he ran, wait, no, not ran, skipped! Rolin skipped happily out of sight as if this wasn’t a matter of life and death.

To say Beatrice was bewildered was an understatement.

With their injuries reducing them to a very slow pace, the two Hulkpuppets proceeded after him, leaving Wickus and Beatrice alone.

Angry Wickus yanked Beatrice by the arm in a direction that was taking them east of the building. “Your Munchkin won’t stand a chance.”

“Are you sure about that?” she asked him confidently. “He’s already injured two of you finest. So far, I think he’s fairing pretty well.” For the umpteenth time, she tried pulling her arm out of his hold. “Let me go.”

“You forget, bizarre girl, that there’s about a hundred more where they came from.”

Beatrice gulped. She knew Rolin didn’t stand a chance on his own against a hundred of those dreadful creeps. But wait! Maybe he wasn’t alone. She pondered over how many of those Munchkins could actually be here with him right now.

Wickus kept marching on with Beatrice in tow despite her resistance.

“WICKUS!” A Skywatcher was fumbling his way towards them with a broken wing. The look of exhaustion was dancing all around him.

Wickus growled at the sight of his injury. “This better be good news, despite the look of your pathetic wing.”

Skywatcher gulped, knowing that like his mother Wickus hated getting bad news. “Munchkins!”

“You mean our prisoners?! Have they all escaped?”

“No, oh Wicked One. These seem to be the ones who managed to escape our invasion. I’m afraid they have returned and are successfully pulling off a surprised attack.”

Wickus spoke through gritted teeth. “Then. Stop. It. How can we be getting attacked by Munchkins? It’s not possible unless you pitiful fools have been sleeping on the job again. I swear I need some new help around here. Get every Hulkpuppet and Skywatcher on this right now!”

Taking advantage of Wickus being momentarily distracted, Beatrice swiftly pulled her arm out of his hold and managed to ram her fist right in the center of his face the moment he turned to face her. The contact was good and hard, causing him to stumble backwards until he lost his balance and fell.

The Skywatcher shrieked and kneeled to help him up while Beatrice quickly managed to get pass them. In her haste, she stepped on the Skywatcher’s broken wing that was touching the floor. The human birdlike creature released an agonizing sound that could probably be heard all throughout the castle.

“STOP HER!!!” She heard Wickus order the Skywatcher.

“My wing! My beautiful wing! Sir, I don’t think I’m going to be able fly after today!”

“GO AFTER HER OR I’LL END YOU MYSELF!!!” He roared.

Beatrice didn’t dare turn around to see if she was being chased. She just ran as fast as she could and prayed that she wouldn’t run into anymore of his loyalties since she didn’t have anything to defend herself with.

She ran until she found herself in another spacious area of the castle. To her right was a large throne decorated in black and red sitting on five tall steps and to her left sat numerous rows of empty seats with black cushions. She froze as she contemplated where she could go. Straight ahead was a very large window open wide and inviting but it just a few feet taller than her. Plus, she had to be in a room that was at least twenty stories high. Could she make it? Probably not.

“I know what you’re thinking.” Wickus’ ugly voice was so close to her ear that she jumped and turned to face him as she back further inside the room. Dang, how did he catch up with her so fast? “You’re wondering why you don’t see a throne for you up there.” He gestured at the high throne. “You’ll get that when learn how to respect me.”

A purple ring was forming around his left eye and she couldn’t help but smirk with satisfaction.

He raised an eyebrow at her and pointed to his face. “You think this is funny?”

She backed away each time he took a step forward. “I’m surprise you can even notice it, with all the other foul colorations and revolting markings you have going on. But yeah, I think it’s freaking hilarious.”

Wickus narrowed his eyes at her. “I’m going to make you a fire I finally control for once.” He held his hands out with his palms up towards the ceiling. A black smoke crept from his hands and slowly made its way closer to Beatrice. “It’s time for you to take a long nap, my rebellious beauty. And when you wake, this will all be over and you’ll be officially mine.”

What the heck was that? Now, she was getting really scared. Beatrice backed up until she reached the wall on the opposite side of the room, the one with the window hovering just a few feet above her head.

The thick smoke crept towards her and embraced her waist. She tried squirming away from it but she had no success.

“Beatrice, hold your breath!” Lion growled as he tackled Wickus from behind, knocking his clean off his feet and preventing him from proceeding with his strange spell.

Beatrice quickly covered her nose and mouth before the dark smoke could reach her face. After dancing in front of her for a few seconds, the strange smoke soon evaporated into nothing.

Unfortunately, as quickly as Lion pounced on Wikus, he was thrown off of him. The dark warlock had managed to produce a black beam that sent Lion flying into the display of empty chairs, breaking several of them as he landed among them. Wikus was immediately on his feet. “You,” he hissed. “I should have known you’d be behind something as foolish and foul as this.” He stalked towards him as Lion tried to get back on his feet. When he reached him, he yanked on his mane as hard as he could.

Lion groaned.

“You brought the Munchkins here, didn’t you?”

Lion held his evil glare with a glower of his own. “No,” he said defiantly.

“DON’T LIE TO ME!!! I’m on to you, Lion. Just what did you think you would gain from all of this anyway? Choose your last words wisely.”

Beatrice figured she should try to do something to help him, despite how she felt about him, but what could she do? She had no weapon.

“I didn’t bring them here,” Lion told Wickus calmly, not caring that the warlock was threatening to end his life right then and there.

Wickus wasn’t buying his answer. “Oh, yeah. Well if you didn’t, who did?”

“I did,” a confident yet familiar velvet voice crooned directly above Beatrice’s head. The very sound of it had her whole body going rigid and her emotions going wild.

When Wickus glanced over at the window over Beatrice’s head, the look on his face was priceless. Fear, confusion, anger, and annoyance found their way simultaneously to his face. “Impossible,” he breathed.

Beatrice had yet to peer up at him but the lost look on Wickus’ face and the triumphant look Lion was adorning confirmed the very thing her heart was screaming out to her. She tried to steady her breathing so that she wouldn’t turn hysterical. She used all of her self-control to calmly lift her head towards the window.

Oh, my goodness! Scarecrow. There he was. Standing above her and filling out the whole window pane perfectly as he kept his eyes glued on Wickus while a smirk played on his lips.

Beatrice’s heart was doing something fierce in her chest. He was alive! Lion hadn’t killed him. That was probably what he was trying to tell her last night but she wouldn’t listen to him. A small sting of guilt jabbed at her for the way she treated Lion but she would have to apologize for that later. Right now, she just couldn’t stop staring at how invincible Scarecrow was looking. She wondered what he had up his sleeve.

“You didn’t think I would actually kill my own friend, did you?” Lion queried.

Just when Wickus was about to strike at him, Scarecrow spoke up and stopped the action. “In case you’re wondering, all the Hulkpuppets and Skywatchers you had on duty monitoring the castle have been incapacitated. I know if you really wish it, you can always make more but how about we just let this be enough vehemence for one day?”

The dark warlock glared at him. “The detestation I have for you is my comfort that I will one day see your demise.”

Caught up in his threat, Wickus didn’t notice when Lion reached up and growled as he clawed his face with intense aggression. Wickus screamed in pain and recoiled away from him as he covered his seriously injured face.

Lion wasted no time running towards the window Scarecrow was standing in. His eyes were wild as he yelled, “You better get out the way!”

Scarecrow swiftly moved to the side to make room for Lion as he leapt and dived through the open space.

Beatrice watched the action in horror. She could even hear his wails as he fell. “Did he just jump to his death?”

Scarecrow crouched and gave her that beatific, spirited smile she had missed from him so much. He extended his hand out to her. “Are you scared?”

She couldn’t help but smile back. “Of you? Never.” She jumped up to make contact with his stretched out hand.

When Scarecrow caught her, he pulled her up next to him.

Wickus roared for one of his loyalties to come to his aid but the only one who appeared was the Skywatcher with the broken wing. He limped inside as he whimpered. “Oh, Wicked One, please let me retire for the day.”

Wickus stumbled towards his throne, tripping on the tall steps, as he had his right hand shielding his face. Lion must have really done something serious to him. “MY FACE!!!”

“We have to jump now,” Scarecrow told her, drawing her attention away from the warlock. “Ready?”

His hands were gently holding on to her elbows. She beamed at the contact. “I’m in Oz now. I need to be ready for everything.”

His grinned widened as his left hand reached for her right one for a tight and protective embrace. “Don’t let go of my hand,” was the last thing he told her before they jumped off the window pane, both smiling from ear to ear.

End Notes:

So initially, I thought the quality of this chapter could have been a little better but I really want to know what you all think about it. Share your thoughts with me please and thank you so much for reading. :)

Chapter 10 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:

The adventure continues. More loveable characters will be making their appearance in this chapter. Thank you for reading and don't forget to leave your thoughts.


The fall was a steep one. It didn’t take long for the smiling face Beatrice was wearing to morph into a panic one. She was taking notice of the hard concrete ground that was awaiting them.

As if he was sensing her fear, Scarecrow tightened his hold on her hand but his smile never faltered.

Fearing the worst for the two of them, Beatrice shut her eyes tightly. In seconds, she felt the two of them land on something strange rather than make contact with the hard ground. She hadn’t open her eyes yet but Beatrice felt Scarecrow move her in front of him as whatever they were now sitting on had them moving away from the castle. Slowly, she began to open them and nearly gasped when she looked down and saw what they were riding on.

Supporting both their weight and carrying them effortlessly was human sized primate with jet black fur and wings half the size of Beatrice’s body. “A flying monkey?” she asked in disbelief.

“This is Cheetah,” Scarecrow told her. “Leader of the Flying Monkey Gang.”

“Hello, Beatrice, Daughter of Dorothy.” His voice was deep and extremely rough.

“Oh, my,” she breathed in astonishment.

The big primate wore a leather jacket and matching pants and when Beatrice looked up she saw that at least twenty more of the flying species were surrounding them and wearing the exact same thing. All except one were carrying a Munchkin on their back.

Beatrice just couldn’t believe that they were all here, rescuing her.

The Munchkins cried and cheered happily for their success.

Rolin hollered and shook his fist in the air victoriously. His flying monkey was positioned in front, leading the gang on.

A few feet away from Beatrice and Scarecrow, Lion was ridding one too as he roared in triumph. They all had gotten away; therefore, they all had every reason to be excited.

Scarecrow snaked his arms around Beatrice’s waist. He was sitting directly behind her with his chest to her back.

Beatrice peered over her shoulder at him. Her giant grin was back but Scarecrow’s smile had never left him. “I’m so glad you’re still alive. How did you do all of this?”

“You compel me to think big, Beatrice,” he stated with great affection. “Turn around, Cheetah. We still need to get one more person.”

Lion peered over at Scarecrow with a gaze that questioned his friend’s sanity. “What? Scarecrow, we got the girl and we all got away unharmed. What more are you trying to do right now? If we go back, Wickus will kill us for sure, especially me.” Lion gulped. No doubt he was recalling what he had just done to the warlock’s face.

Scarecrow shook his head. “We’re not quite finish for today.” He peered down at the flying monkey he and Beatrice were being carried by. “Come on, Cheetah.”

Cheetah spoke with authority, “We need to make this quick.”

Scarecrow glanced at the only flying monkey who wasn’t escorting anyone. “Gizmo, could you come with us, please?”

The one who Scarecrow was addressing glanced at Cheetah for an indication of what his answer should be. When Cheetah gave Gizmo an encouraging nod, he wasted no time giving Scarecrow his answer. “Of course.”

Together Cheetah and Gizmo made an airborne U-turn.

Scarecrow called back towards Lion and rest of the gang. “You all go on. We’ll meet you there.”

Meet them where, Beatrice wondered?

“Lion, if you’re too afraid, you can go on ahead with them” Scarecrow told him.

Lion groaned as if he was conflicted on who he should join but Cheetah didn’t wait around for his decision. He was already flying discreetly around the tall dull green castle with Gizmo on his trail.

With a pout, Lion looked down at the flying monkey he was riding. “Come on, Micko.” With great reluctance, he said, “Looks like we’re going back to Emerald City.”

When Cheetah soared past the big castle, Beatrice had caught on to Scarecrow’s plan. More excitement engulfed her. “Are we going to rescue who I think we’re going to rescue?”

He smiled wickedly at her. “Hang on tight.”

***

Within minutes, they made access into the deserted jazz and blues club. It was hard for Beatrice to believe that this was the same place she and Scarecrow had just visited the night before. With it being daytime and completely empty, the club looked a little eerie.

A couple of Wickus’ loyalties were present guarding an area near the back of the club but everyone else seemed to have been summoned to the castle as backup to defend against the Munchkins’ surprise attack.

Cheetah successfully snuck up on the two Skywatchers and banged his balled fists on top of their craniums. Instantly, they crumbled to the ground with a loud thud. “Hurry,” he quietly urged Scarecrow and Beatrice ahead of him. “Gizmo and I will wait for you here but you need to move quickly.” Before Scarecrow could walk past him, Cheetah grabbed his arm to get his attention. “Remember, we only have room for one more so you can’t save everyone today, Scarecrow.”

Beatrice watched Scarecrow’s face carefully as he said sadly, “I know that” and walked ahead of them. She wasted no time following him in the back of the club. Past the dressing rooms was a staircase that descended to a lower level. “Beatrice, stay close to me.” That was all she needed to hear before wrapping both her hands around Scarecrow’s right arm.

Together, they descended the staircase with caution. It poured them straight into a small room that was occupied with nothing but giant cells each holding a single prisoner. A few of them were Munchkins, judging from their graffiti-designed attire, but Beatrice hadn’t recognized any of them from the hideout. These Munchkins must have been the ones that were captured during the beginning of Wickus’ invasion. As for the other prisoners, they looked a lot like Simon, former residents of the Emerald City.

Simon was the first to notice them and rose from his shabby bed. “It’s Scarecrow and Beatrice!” he exclaimed happily.

Several other prisoners had begun to peer at them as well as they murmured amongst each other with excitement.

“Well I’ll be,” whispered one gentle voice in awe.

Beatrice recognized who it was immediately and turned her head in his direction. She beamed at him as she approached his cell, releasing Scarecrow’s arm. “Tin Man, we’ve come for you.”

“What about the rest of us?” One female whined. It was the same woman who was doing that sad opera number last night when Scarecrow and Beatrice came to visit TinMan.

“Please be patient with us, Christine” Scarecrow gave her an apologetic look.

Beatrice retrieved a hairpin from her jean pocket and busied herself with picking Tin Man’s lock.

“You promised to get us out of here!” A beige man with a black goatee fussed.

Scarecrow remained calm and turned his gaze towards him. “I promised to help you get your home back, which is exactly what I intend to do. But it’s getting too dangerous to keep on sneaking Tin Man oil. I need to get him out of here before Wickus rusts him out.”

“Got it!” Beatrice cried as she successfully unlocked the cell and swung the cell door wide open. She excitedly extended her arms and Tin Man happily walked into her embrace. “I’m glad you’re still okay.”

“You shouldn’t be here, my flower” he said worriedly.

“Don’t be silly, Tin Man. No way were we going to leave you. Come on.”

“You have to trust me, I won’t abandon you all” Scarecrow assured them.

Beatrice led Tin Man over to where Scarecrow was standing. “The next time you see us, it’ll be a brand new day for all of us,” Beatrice promised them. “Just don’t lose hope, okay?”

“At least take Little Tristian with you” cried one female munchkin desperately. Her face and bodysuit contained splattered colors of red and pink.

“Who?” Beatrice asked.

The munchkin pointed to the cell stationed in the far left corner. Inside of it was a little boy wearing munchkin attire who looked no older six years old lying on his murky bed in a fetal position, quivering violently. The whole left side of his face was covered in purple while purple and blue made up the colors on his suit.

Beatrice watched him speechlessly. “What’s a little kid doing in here?”

“Little Tristian has a beautiful singing voice that Wickus admires. But he’s been trembling like that for days” said a male munchkin hopelessly. “We don’t know what’s wrong with him but the Skywatchers said if he doesn’t get better in two days’ time…” The munchkin gulped. “Then they’re going to…”

Beatrice gasped and stepped forward. “They wouldn’t.” Her face showed that she was frightened for the boy.

“Please,” cried the female munchkin in a sob. “He’s just a boy.”

“Marilyn is right,” said Christine, moving closer to the front of her cell and gripping the bars. “If we all must wait a little longer then so be it, but the boy won’t last in here. You have to get him out.”

Several other prisoners mumbled in agreement.

Cheetah’s husky voice was heard coming from the upper level. “Scarecrow! More loyalties are headed this way. We need to leave. Now!”

Beatrice and Scarecrow locked gazes with each other and let their eyes share a fast conversation. Scarecrow gave her a knowing look and she responded with a quick nod before rushing over to the little munchkin’s cell to begin picking the lock.

“Oh thank you! Thank you!” cheered the female munchkin with so much relief.

Scarecrow turned to Tin Man and palmed his shoulders. “Go upstairs to Cheetah and Gizmo and tell them to wait a bit longer. We’ll be right there.”

Tin Man complied and hastily shuffled up the stairs.

Scarecrow rushed over the Beatrice’s side by the cell. “Hurry, Beatrice” he insisted gently.

She impatiently picked at the lock until it opened. Together her and Scarecrow pulled the heavy cell door open wide.

“Tristian?” Scarecrow called out to the boy.

The young munchkin made no attempt open his eyes or get up from his bed. The poor thing just kept on quivering.

The two heroes ran inside his cell. Scarecrow palmed his forehead and frowned. “He’s freezing.”

Beatrice wasted no time shredding her jean jacket and Scarecrow helped her tuck the boy’s arms through the sleeves. “What’s wrong with him?” she asked worriedly.

“I don’t know, but he can’t stay here anymore.” Scarecrow lifted the young munchkin in his arms.

Despite wearing Beatrice’s jacket, the boy’s body was still trembling. He wrapped his arms tightly around Scarecrow’s neck for more warmth, still not opening his eyes.

“Let’s go,” Beatrice said and they both turned to leave. “We’ll be back soon,” she told the other prisoners as she made her way up the stairs. Scarecrow was right behind her.

“Look after him!” called out one of the munchkins.

Beatrice quickly ascended the stairs but halted the moment she saw one of the Skywatchers coming to from unconsciousness. But before she could panic about it, Cheetah swiftly pounded the birdlike creature on head again and knocked him back to oblivion. “Thanks,” Beatrice breathed in gratitude.

When Cheetah peered her way he didn’t look happy. He pointed over her shoulder and said, “Scarecrow, what do you think you’re doing? I told you, we can’t save everyone today.”

Scarecrow narrowed his eyes. “He’s sick, Cheetah. He can’t stay here.”

“Have a heart, Cheetah, my friend,” crooned Tin Man as he rested a hand on the flying monkey’s right shoulder. “He’s just a young one.”

Cheetah grunted in disapproval but didn’t have the time to argue further with them. Three Hulkpuppets casually entered the deserted club but froze immediately when they saw their intruders.

Uh-oh, Beatrice thought.

The three foes growled and balled their fists. “Well, look what we have here,” stated one of them in that eerie stifled tone.

This was bad. Wickus’ loyalties were blocking their only exit. Of course, there was the secret entrance Scarecrow created through the wall in the dressing room, but there was no way they all could make it there in time. Face it, they were all deer caught in headlights.

“Leaving so soon?” asked another Hulkpuppet.

“And with our most popular stars?” added the third foe.

Beatrice back up next to Scarecrow who had tightened his protective hold on the young, sick Munchkin.

Gizmo and Cheetah growled and bared their teeth. “Make way,” Cheetah ordered.

The three foes stepped forward simultaneously as one said, “If you want to leave, you have to go through us first.”

As if on cue, a loud roar was heard from outside getting closer and closer to the building. Suddenly, the wall and door behind the foes caved in as the flying monkey Micko shot through it with Lion ridding on his back.

Everything was happening so fast that no had enough time to react. Wikus’ loyalties weren’t able to move out of the way in time and as a result all three of them were caught in the impact.

Once Micko landed on his feet, Lion shouted, “Let’s go!”

“Way to go, Lion!” cheered Scarecrow.

The loud commotion, however, had brought on some unwanted attention. From peering out of the large whole Lion and Micko had just created, more loyalties could be seen hastily making their way over to the club. Rage and violence were practically radiating off of each and every Skywatcher and Hulkpuppet in sight.

“Yikes!” Lion cried with wide eyes. “Time to go!” Micko and Lion was already soaring out of the small building when Lion called back to the gang, “Y’all better hurry up!”

Tin Man climbed on the back of Gizmo the same time Beatrice hopped on Cheetah.

Scarecrow quickly handed her the young Munchkin before settling behind her. “Fly, Cheetah!”

The flying monkey complied with Gizmo right by his side. Together they raced towards the bright morning sky.

The good news was that the three flying monkeys flew out the building before the first foe could reach them. The bad news, however, was that the ones that could fly—meaning all of the Skywatchers—ascended into the sky and flew after them.

There had to be at least thirty of them on their trail right now, even with them soaring through the clouds.

“This is bad,” Beatrice cried. “There’s no way we can lose them.”

“Daughter of Dorothy?”

“Uh, yes, Cheetah?” Beatrice found it strange that he would only refer to her as that.

“We’re going to lose them now so I need you to hang on tight and try not to fall off. Okay?”

Beatrice gulped. “Um…okay.” She secured her hold on the little trembling boy that was in her arms. However, she couldn’t control the wild beating of her heart the moment Scarecrow wrapped his long arms around her and the boy as he too prepared himself for whatever Cheetah was getting ready to do.

She could feel his chin resting on her left shoulder and his mouth was only inches away from her ear when he said to her, “Don’t worry, Beatrice. I’m not letting go of you. If we fall off, we fall off together.”

Strangely, she found that comforting. Although, she silently prayed that it wouldn’t have to come to that.

“Micko, Gizmo, NOW!” Cheetah ordered and the three flying monkeys dipped in a vertical position aiming south. Together, they dived towards the Earth.

The intense sensation of free-falling was overwhelming Beatrice in the pit of her stomach and she panic with a scream.

Lion and Tin Man were also heard wailing in fear.

“CLOSE YOUR EYES!!” Scarecrow shouted next to her, sounding as frightened as she was but he kept his arms bound tightly around her.

Beatrice complied. The dive towards the ground felt suicidal and just when she thought they were going to make hard cruel contact with the Earth’s surface, the flying monkeys went horizontal again and began flying east, cutting through the trees.

When Beatrice opened her eyes, she understood what the monkeys were doing. They were flying low and shielding themselves with the trees of the forest, making it difficult for the Skywatchers to follow them. Beatrice relaxed a little bit and rested her body against Scarecrow’s.

“Are you okay?” He asked her in that velvet voice that was such a delight to hear.

She nodded and exhaled, closing her eyes again. “I just need a minute. For a moment there I thought we were all goners.”

A few minutes later, their plan was working brilliantly. Gradually the Skywatchers had begun to retreat. When they officially lost them, Cheetah, Gizmo, and Micko flew on for another twenty minutes or so until they landed in a clear green meadow. The area felt exposed but none of the Flying monkeys seemed to be worried about it.

“I don’t get it.” Beatrice frowned. “Why are we stopping in the open like this?”

“Fear, not, Daughter of Dorothy. We’re safe here.” Cheetah assured her as Scarecrow hopped off him first.

“How can you be so sure?” Beatrice wasn’t convinced that landing here was such a good idea. Reluctantly, she got down from Cheetah with the young boy still shaking in her arms. “A few minutes ago, we were outnumbered by at least thirty Skywatchers.”

“Oooh, did someone mention something about numbers?” said a feminine voice a few feet away from them.

Everyone whipped their heads towards the sound. The flying monkeys bowed at the short elderly woman before them with short hair as white as snow being accessorized by big sparkly gray numbers. She also wore a long colorful dress with strange vibrant and various bags hanging from each arm.

Beatrice eyed the strange woman speechlessly.

However, Tin Man and Lion smiled at her happily but none of their smiles matched the one Scarecrow was giving her. He approached her and gratefully kissed her cheek.

The woman smiled at him fondly with maternal affection before locking gazes with Beatrice. “Well, aren’t you just a pretty little thing.” She stepped closer with Scarecrow in tow. She bowed and said, “How do you do? I’m…”

Beatrice smiled and finished her sentence. “Miss One.”

End Notes:

Soooo...I know in the film the flying monkeys didn't actually fly but rode motorcycles instead but in order to make this story work, I had to change them up a little bit. I hope you all don't mind. Please tell your thoughts on this chapter: good, bad, in between? Thank you again for reading :)

Chapter 11 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:

Hey guys! I hope you all enjoy this chapter. This one should be pretty interesting so share your thoughts.

Miss One raised her head up from her bow and beamed at Beatrice, who was still holding on to the boy Munchkin. “Indeed, I am. And what a pleasure it is to finally meet you. From the moment you and Scarecrow left the cave yesterday afternoon, the Munchkins could speak only of your arrival.”

Beatrice almost found it too hard to believe that she had only arrived in Oz yesterday. After everything that had happened to her so far, it felt like she had been here for weeks already.

“Forgive me for not being there to greet you, but I had to take care of a few things here.” Miss One gestured at the deep cluster of giant trees behind her before gesturing for Beatrice to hand her the sick boy that was in her arms. “May I?”

Beatrice handed Tristian over to her.

“Poor thing,” Miss One crooned to the sick Munchkin as she rested his head on her shoulder. “Let’s get this poor baby taken care of.”

“Will he be okay?” Scarecrow asked.

“Not to worry, sweetheart. I believe I have just the thing to help him.” Miss One began heading towards the wooded area behind her and Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion, and the flying monkeys turned to follow her.

It seemed as if Beatrice was the only one who was worried about getting caught by Wickus’ Loyalties. Out of paranoia, she began scanning the sky. “Are you sure we’re safe? The Skywatchers—”

“—Won’t find us here,” Miss One assured her without turning around. “Glinda has set up a barrier all over this side of the forest, shielding us along with our scents.”

“Thank God for Glinda,” Tin Man crooned with such affection.

Beatrice halted and tilted her head sideways. “Glinda?” She heard that name before but she couldn’t remember when.

Beatrice was so busy racking her brain for some kind of recollection of who Glinda was that she didn’t notice when Scarecrow left Miss One’s side to stand in front of her. It wasn’t until he grabbed her hand when she noticed him. He was giving her an adoring smile. “Come on. I think you’ll really like it here.” He led her into the deep cluster of trees that the others had passed through only seconds ago.

“Whoa,” Beatrice whispered in awe when she saw what had lain on the other side of the gigantic saplings.

Numerous tree-houses were built between millions of branches with swing bridges connecting them from tree to tree. It must have been almost a hundred rows of tall shrubs consisting of outdoor houses and that wasn’t all that occupied her view.

The scene was extremely crowded with not only the Munchkins and flying monkeys who contributed to her rescue that morning but also a lot of other people Beatrice had yet to meet. It had to be a whole village full of them.

Physically fit dark-skinned men and women—only looking just a few years older than Beatrice—were occupying most of the territory, all wearing close to nothing. They all seemed to be wearing skimpy yellow bikinis. Some were poking their heads out of their tree-houses to peer down at their visitors with elated smiles while the others who were on ground level stopped whatever task they were doing to stare anxiously at their guests as well.

“These are the people your mother freed from Eviline’s rule,” Scarecrow told her as they followed Miss One further inside the bizarre yet fascinating area. “They use to look frightening and monstrous when they worked for her but thanks to Dorothy they were able to strip from that appearance.” Beatrice couldn’t help but notice how much affection was in Scarecrow’s voice each time he spoke of Dorothy. To be honest, she wasn’t sure how that made her feel.

Everyone grew immediately silent as they eyed the visitors. It was the Munchkins who finally broke the silence as they altogether started to shout, “TWO, FOUR, SIX, EIGHT!!! WHO DO WE APPRECIATE!!!” over and over again.

Soon the flying monkeys and everyone began clapping and cheering loudly in delight, welcoming the people Miss One was bringing into the secret territory. Several of them made their way over to them.

Lion laughed as several men and women greeted him proudly. “It’s good to see you, Lion!” chimed one of them.

“I knew you were on our side the whole time,” cried another.

Tin Man was greeted with the same affection. “Tin Man! We’d thought we’d never see you again!”

Tin Man took the time out to hug every person and Munchkin that made their way over to him. “Nonsense,” he told them. “Wickus couldn’t possibly get rid of me that easily.”

They laughed.

The way they all swarmed in on them reminded Beatrice of the way people in her world would ambush celebrities whenever they spotted one in a public place.

Beatrice stood one step behind Scarecrow as they both were welcomed with the same excitement.

“Scarecrow, you did it!” cried one male Munchkin happily. “You saved, Beatrice!”

“We all saved her,” he corrected him. “I couldn’t have done it without you all.”

“Is she really the blood of Dorothy?” queried one of the human looking males in a yellow bikini bottom. Since Oz was so magical, Beatrice wasn’t sure if anyone was fully human who lived there.

Beatrice nodded at the male who spoke. “I am. My name is Beatrice.”

“Amazing” someone crooned in disbelief.

“You’re very pretty,” one of the half-naked females complimented her with a sweet smile.

Beatrice smile back, “Thank you. So are you.”

Too many to count surrounded Beatrice and her friends while so many of them were still just peering from their large homes in the trees.

“Alright, everyone!” shouted Miss One through all of the loud cheers and excitement. “Please make room. I have a sick one here.”

Everyone who was in her path instantly complied as they now focused on the poor boy in Miss One’s arms.

“Will he be alright, Miss One?” one of them asked.

“What happened to him?” asked another one.

“Just give me a few hours with him and he’ll be just fine,” she said confidently and everyone seemed to be able to breathe a little better after hearing her say that.

Beatrice wanted more than anything to follow Miss One. No doubt this lady could answer at least a hundred of her questions, but unfortunately, the Munchkins and Eviline’s former servants crowded the path and was eyeing her down like a new art exhibit.

“Thank you for bringing Little Tristian back to us” a female Munchkin said in complete gratitude.

“Don’t worry, we’re not stopping at just Little Tristian, right Scarecrow?” she peered over at him and he nodded with determination.

“You two are quite the pair!” cheered someone from the crowd around them.

Beatrice turned coy. When she looked up at Scarecrow, he was looking more bashful than she was.

Then, a familiar sound caught her attention. It was a squeal she knew all too well.

“Storm???” Beatrice balanced herself on her tiptoes with one hand palming Scarecrow’s shoulder as she tried to glance over his head and the crowd before her.

She smiled with delight as she saw her new pet hopping from head to head of the people in the crowd as he made his way over to her. His flightless wings flapped anxiously and his little mouth was open wide with his tongue slightly hanging out as if he was smiling at her.

Beatrice extended her hands out to him as he leapt his way over to her. “STORM!!!” she sung happily once she embraced him. “Silly, FlyMam,” she laughed. “You can’t jump on people’s heads like that. That’s rude.” She addressed the smiling crowd. “I’m sorry, everyone.”

The crowd laughed, not bothered at all by the fact that her pet just played leap frog with their heads.

She rested her cheek on top of Storm’s head. His fur was still extremely soft. “I’m so glad you’re okay.”

Storm purred deeply in satisfaction.

“But how…” she started to query and Scarecrow answered her unfinished question.

“After the Hulkpuppets took you away last night, Storm came back to where Lion and I were. Since I had to come here and get help from the flying monkeys anyway, I thought he’d be safe here.”

Beatrice lifted her head to stare into Scarecrow’s eyes with admiration. “You just think of everything, don’t you?”

He shrugged shyly.

“Of course he does. That’s what makes him special.”

Beatrice and everyone else turned their heads over to the west to see who was joining the crowd.

Five young ladies were approaching them wearing very scanty and suggestive attire that adorned colors of pink and purple. They also had on a heavy load of matching makeup and tall high heel boots. Between these ladies and the ones in the yellow bikinis, Beatrice was beginning to feel a little over dressed in her baby blue jeans and black short-sleeved cottoned shirt.

Beatrice then remembered her mother mentioning women dressed similar to them working in Evilines sweat shop.

The woman in the brightest shade of pink was the one who had spoken. Her huge allusive grin was directed straight at Scarecrow. “No one has a brain like him, isn’t that right, Scarecrow?”

Scarecrow grew even shier. His delicate voice went even higher as he said, “Thank you, Samantha.” He turned to Beatrice who was eyeing the woman with a bemused expression. “Beatrice, this is Samantha, Caroline, Sarah, Jessie, and Tabitha.” Each lady gave her a small wave when Scarecrow said their name.

Beatrice couldn’t get over the way Samantha was eyeing Scarecrow. Did she like him or something?

“They were also forced to work for Eviline,” Scarecrow continued, not seeming to notice Beatrice’s grimace in their direction.

“Hey, don’t forget about us!” The five women were soon accompanied by four human-sized crows each wearing sunglasses and a different colored vest.

Beatrice didn’t need Scarecrow to introduce these creatures at all. She remembered very well the stories her mother told her about how much these crows used to bully and insult Scarecrow, making sure that he never would amount to anything. Instantly, she narrowed her eyes at them and the four of them halted their approach.

The skinny one in the blue vest raised up his wings in a defensive gesture. “Hey, easy there” he told her. “We come in peace.”

Beatrice eased up on the death glare she was giving them when Scarecrow touched her arm. “It’s okay, Beatrice. We’re all on better terms now.” He gave them a curt nod and all four of them returned the action.

“We’re here to welcome you to our home,” said the one in the red vest.

Beatrice raised her eyebrows. “All of you live here?” She glanced over the entire crowd and everyone, except for the Munchkins, silently nodded their heads in agreement.

“These tree-houses go on for miles,” said one the ladies dressed in pink. This one had a big, pink, fuzzy scarf draped over her shoulders.

“Cool,” Beatrice crooned as she absent-mindedly stroked Storm’s head. She was beyond elated to have him back in her arms. He was just too cute for words.

“We must have a big feast tonight to properly celebrate today’s small victory!” suggested one of the half-naked males gathering in front. He threw his arm around Rolin the Munchkin’s shoulder who was standing next to him. “As well as to appropriately welcome the Munchkins and all of our old friends.” He peered at Beatrice when he said, “And new friends.”

Everyone cheered in agreement and began leading Tin Man, Lion, Scarecrow, and Beatrice further into their domain.

For the next thirty minutes, Beatrice was being shown as much of the territory as possible by several girls in the yellow swimsuits. She was really curious to know why none of them wanted to wear any real clothing but she didn’t want to be deemed rude by asking so she stayed quiet about it.

After only covering half of the large grounds, Scarecrow met up with Beatrice and the girls when they were standing inside one of the largest tree houses, showing her around. Each house obtained doorframes and window frames but without any real doors or windows to fill them. The girls told Beatrice that there was no real purpose for them since no one could step into this area without the approval of Miss One or Glinda.

“Beatrice?” Scarecrow called out to her.

She turned around and smiled at the sight of him standing in the open doorway.

Scarecrow smiled bashfully at her before quickly peering down at his feet, saying nothing more.

Beatrice knew exactly what that meant. He wanted to spend some alone time with her but didn’t want to interrupt what was going on. She turned to the girls that were showing her around. “Thank you all so much for the tour. Would you all mind if we continue it later though? My friend wants to talk to me.”

They all smiled and waved her good bye.

Scarecrow’s smile was no longer shy once she was walking over to him. Together they walked out on the swinging bridge that linked one house to another.

For a while, Scarecrow did nothing but just gaze at Beatrice with an adoring gin. Before Beatrice could question him, Scarecrow reached up and grabbed on tightly to the large branch that hovered above their heads. Soon, he was pulling his entire body up into the tree. He paused to stare down at her and give her an encouraging smile.

“Hang on, Storm” she told the FlyMam that was clinging on to her left shoulder before mimicking Scarecrow’s actions.

They climbed until they were in the middle of the tree, shielded perfectly by leaves and giant branches. Thanks to the sunny day, the shadows of the leaves reflected softly off of Scarecrow and Beatrice’s faces.

When they sat side by side on a large sturdy branch, letting their feet swing in midair, she asked him, “Where you looking for some better shade from the sun?”

Scarecrow shook his head. “I don’t get hot. I just wanted to be alone with you. I hope don’t mind.”

She turned to face him. “Of course not.”

“Good. I was hoping you wouldn’t.”

“I never mind being alone with you,” she told him honestly.

Scarecrow reached out for her hand and started stroking it. “That’s really good to know.”

Beatrice stared down at their entwined hands. He was doing a lot of that lately, not that she was complaining but it did somewhat confuse her. She was now very much aware of how she felt about him but…how much did he feel for her and, more importantly, did it surpass his feelings for Dorothy?

Was it even okay for her to be in love with him?

“Scarecrow?”

“Yes?”

“I’m really glad you’re alive.”

His face grew apologetic. “I’m sorry there wasn’t a way for me to get to you and warn you that I was okay and coming for you. I hope Wickus didn’t hurt you.”

She shook her head. “No. He just tried to marry me.”

Scarecrow eyed her with disbelief. “WHAT?!”

She shook her head and waved a hand dismissively. “Don’t’ ask. Long story. Besides, it’s inconsequential now.”

“I’m so sorry, Beatrice. You must have been terrified.”

She nodded. “I was, but not for me.” She took a deep breath as she relived the heartbreak and despair she felt when she thought he was dead. “I thought…that you were gone forever and that I was never going to see you again, Scarecrow. You have no idea how relieved I am to know that it was all an act.” She then recalled how mean she was to Lion when she thought he killed him. “I owe Lion a big apology though. I slapped him when I though he killed you.”

Scarecrow grew wide-eyed.

“Don’t worry,” she said after taking in his face expression. “I can go apologize now, if you like.”

She was starting to rise to her feet when Scarecrow gently coaxed her back down. “No, it’s okay. You can apologize later. I guess I’m just…amazed by how much you care, that’s all.”

She frowned. “Of course I care.” More than you know, she thought to herself. Should she tell him? Perhaps she shouldn’t scare him off. Instead, she settled for, “You’re important to me, Scarecrow” and then rested her head on his right shoulder. She closed her eyes.

Storm wasn’t in the way. At this point, he had climbed up one branch higher than them to play with something that looked like a mix between a squirrel and an owl. Beatrice found the creature somewhat cute but its appeal didn’t at all compare to Storm’s in her opinion.

Scarecrow pulled her left hand into his lap and continued to caress it. Each time the two of them made contact it always felt so right. “As you are to me, Beatrice, which is why I’m so happy that you’re staying with me forever.”

Beatrice’s eyes flew open at those words. She lifted her head in order to face him. “Wait, what?”

“You know, staying here in Oz…with me.” A sparkle met his eyes when he said that last part.

Beatrice was more confuse than ever. “I don’t understand. How can I do that?”

His smile faded into an expression of fear and disbelief.

Beatrice could have kicked herself for killing his mood but she needed to understand what he was talking about. “I mean… am I able to do that because I don’t think I can.” And even if she could stay in Oz forever…would she? Sure it was exciting, fun, a little dangerous at times but so was the world she was from, and not to mention awfully unique, but could she afford to never see her family again?

“Dorothy left because she wished more than anything to go back home. Therefore, I believe if you really wished to stay here forever, you could.” A hint of a smile was threatening to occupy his mouth again.

“Forever?”

Scarecrow’s hint of a smile went away when he saw her frightened eyes at the mentioning of forever. “I don’t understand,” his tone grew softer as disappointment grew on his face. “You seem more than happy to share your life with me when I asked you last night. What changed?”

Last night??? “When did we talk about this last night?” A conversation like this she would have been sure to remember, if it had really happened.

“I asked you right before I kissed you.”

Her heart fluttered at the mentioning of their kiss but she didn’t recalled them having an conversation about— “Wait a minute, was this during the time the Sprights were dancing around us?”

Hope found its way back into his eyes. “Yes! I knew you would remember.” He tightened his hold on her left hand.

“Scarecrow,” she said sadly. “The Sprights were singing so loudly that I couldn’t hear a word you were saying to me.”

Scarecrow was perplexed. “But you told me that you never wanted to leave. And when I asked you to stay with me, you said ‘absolutely.’”

She slowly shook her head. “If I told you that, it was because I thought you were talking about something else.”

He stilled and let her hand slide out of his grasp. “What are you saying, Beatrice? Do you not want to be with me?”

Oh no. She was breaking his heart and she was hating herself for it. “Of course I do but…”

After a moment of silence on her part, Scarecrow reluctantly finished her sentence. “Just not forever.”

Beatrice closed her mouth. She just didn’t know how to immediately respond to that. She began to stare down at the roof of the tree-house that was several feet below them. “Forever is an awfully long time.”

That seemed to have crushed him more than anything else. His head was hung low as he stared in his lap. He sniffed. “I guess I was never meant to call anyone my own after all.”

Beatrice turned to him with concerned wide eyes. “Scarecrow…”

When he picked up his head to peer at her, his eyes were red and his left cheek showed evidence of where a teardrop had fallen. Beatrice wanted so badly to wipe away his tears but figured that Scarecrow was probably too upset with her to have her touching him at the moment. His voice broke as he said, “You’re going to leave me, just like Dorothy did.” Before Beatrice could say anything else, Scarecrow hopped down from the branch and quickly made his way back down to the tree-houses.

Beatrice remained in her spot on the branch a little while longer, trying to process everything that had just happened while blinking away a few tears of her own. Breaking Scarecrow’s heart had basically shattered her own into a million pieces. Upsetting him wasn’t intentional but she had honestly not heard a word he uttered to her last night when they danced with the Sprights. How could she fix this? No way could she leave things like this between them. Besides, they still had a mission to complete. They needed to save the Emerald City.

When Beatrice felt Storm hop in her lap, she gave him a sad smile as she stroked his bushy tail.

Storm tilted his head sideways at her, as if to ask why she was looking so sad.

“I’m fine” she assured him as she lightly scratched underneath his chin. But that was a lie. Scarecrow was not fine; therefore, she was not fine. She even felt empty and incomplete without him being right next to her. She peered down at Storm again, who was purring underneath her touch. She loved this little creature so much. And she loved Scarecrow.

The thought of staying in Oz forever with Scarecrow and Storm wasn’t what frightened her. It was the thought of never being able to return home to see her mother and father again that made her petrified.

End Notes:

Please, share your thoughts with me. Thank you so much for reading,

Poor Scarecrow is heartbroken right now :(

Chapter 12 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:

Good news!!! There's a major development in this chapter. I think you all will enjoy it!

Beatrice didn't climb down from the tree until about twenty minutes later. As she glumly headed back toward the tree houses posted near the front of this secluded area's entrance, there was no sign of Scarecrow anywhere, which didn't suprise her. He was probably going out of his way to make sure that the two of them wouldn't cross paths for a while.


That revelation made her even more miserable but she figured it was best to give him his space for a while. With Storm posted on her shoulder, she dragged her feet as she walked on. Whenever a Munchkin or person in a yellow swimsuit waved and smiled her way, she would return the action but each time she smiled, her heart wasn't in it. For the first time since she's been in Oz, Beatrice had to feign happyness.


A gentle voice called out to her from behind. When she turned around, she saw it was Tin Man. He approached her with a look of concern, despite the fact that she was giving him a smile. He seemed to have seen straight through it.


"Hello, Tin Man," she grinned his way.


He raised his metal index finger and ran it down the side of her left cheek. "A smile on a pretty face like yours should always be genuine, my beautiful flower. What's wrong?"


Who was she kidding? She couldn't keep anything from Tin Man. Beatrice removed her fake smile and showed her misery as she stared at her feet. "It's complicated," she mumbled.


Tin Man sighed and gave her a look full of compassion. "A broken heart can be a complicated thing."


Beatrice eyed him with suprise. "How did you know that I-"


Tin Man gave her a wise smile. "I know a thing or two about love. Besides, it's written all over your face. Scarecrow's too."


"You saw Scarecrow?"


Tin Man nodded. "Lion is with him now, keeping him company. So I'd thought I would come find you."


Beatrice exhaled with a sound of defeat. "Tin Man, I'm so lost. I don't know what to do." She diverted her gaze back down to the ground. "I love Scarecrow. Really, I do, but I don't think I have the heart to stay here in Oz, away from my family forever."


Tin Man watched her pensively. "Do you remember yesterday when upon meeting you, Scarecrow and I came to the conclusion that you were born to help us?"


She nodded.


"Do you believe that as well, my flower?"


Beatrice wasn't sure what that had to do with her and Scarecrow. Weren't these two different topics? "Of course I do, but what does that have to do with anything?"


Tin Man's grin was gentle. "Perhaps, you were sent here for more than just one purpose." When he took in Beatrice's bemused gaze, Tin Man continued to explain in a very patient tone. "What I mean is that perhaps your task here isn't only to save the beloved people of Oz but also, and maybe more importantly, to save one person in particular."


"Who?" Beatrice furrowed her eyebrows as she tried to make sense of what he was telling her. Tin Man watched her patiently. "You mean Scarecrow?"


He nodded.


"But I don't understand. Save him from what?"


"A loveless life."


Beatrice gasped with disbelief. Was that the real reason why she was here? To love Scarecrow? "Tin Man..." she breathed in astonishment. "Is that what you believe?"


"That is what I wish, my beautiful flower. Dorothy wasn't meant for him. Although she loved him, it wasn't any more than what she felt for me and Lion. We were her closest friends while she was here in Oz but her love never exceeded beyond that. I know this because I know love." Tears had begun to well up in the corners of Tin Man's eyes when he said, "When you have been blessed with an unique heart like mine, you can tell the difference between the different kinds of love."


Beatrice stared at him with amazement.


"Dorothy's love for Scarecrow was beautiful but it wasn't special because she wasn't meant to be with him. She belongs with your father." Tin Man grinned and cupped her face tenderly. "But your love, Beatrice...your love for Scarecrow isn't just beautiful, it's rare and ideal."


Beatrice felt her own eyes start to well up with tears. "Tin Man...that's so beautiful for you to say." She wiped her eyes and chuckled. "You're so sweet."


Tin Man sniffed and smiled too. "I meant every word, my dear."


"But...how can I be sure that's what I'm here for?"


"I'm afraid only one person can answer that question for you."


"Who?" Beatrice queried eagerly.


Tin Man affectionately tapped his metal index finger against her nose. "The one who's responsible for bringing you here, my beautiful flower."


***


Beatrice ran as fast as she could towards the tree house Miss One was in. She was attending to young Tristian, who was lying on a bed. He was stilll asleep but fortunately he was no longer trembling.


"Miss One, I need a favor," Beatrice cried breathlessly when she suddenly appeared in the empty doorway.


Miss One looked up from the boy to peer at Beatrice with a curious gaze. Three female Munchkins who were assisting her looked on too with puzzlement. "Oh? What is it, dear? Is everything alright?"


Beatrice made her way further inside the room and quickly smiled at the Munchkins before bringing all of her focus back to the older bedazzling witch. Storm climbed down her shoulder and leapt on the bed with Tristian. "I need you to take me to Glinda."


Miss One's eyes widened with surprise. "Glinda? Oh, darling," she began to chuckle and so did the female Munchkins sitting around the bed. "I'm afraid I can't do that. Glinda is a star who's only seen whenever she wants to be seen."


Disappointment engulfed Beatrice. "But I must speak with her immediately."


"What ever for?" Miss One asked curiously.


"Because I know now that she's the one who sent me here. I remember my mother calling out her name just before the cyclone swallowed me. My mother must have seen her face inside the cyclone." Beatrice walked over and croutched in front of Miss One's chair. "She's the only one who can help me figure out my purpose here."


The female Munchkin with a clipboard attached to her chest chimed in. She was sitting on a stool on the other side of Tristian's bed. "But Scarecrow says that your purpose is to help us defeat Wickus the Wicked."


"Yes, but I need to know if I'm here for more than that."


The Munchkin with pink and baby blue face paint eyed her with a perplexed expression. "What else could you be here for?"


Beatrice swallowed and started to fidget around with her fingers in her lap. The thought of being here to love Scarecrow made her anxious and nervous; however, Beatrice couldn't deny the fact that it also made her excited. She just might be the one who's designed for Scarecrow and Glinda was the only one who knew the answer to that.


When she looked up from her lap, she saw Miss One smirking at her. "I think I know what this is about. Or should I say...WHO this is about."


Beatrice grew even more shy. Goodness! Was it that obvious how she felt?



"Nevertheless, darling, it's still no use." Miss One's face turned apologetic. "If Glinda wants to see you, then she'll come find you. It's impossible for it to happen the other way around." She sighed. "There's nothing I can do."


"But you're a witch too. Couldn't you just signal her or something?"


Miss One shook her head. "There's never been any need. Glinda has always known when to show up. If she hasn't shown herself to you yet then, believe me, there's a reason for it."


What reason could that be, she wondered.


Miss One palmed her shoulder affectionately. "When the time is right, she'll find you."


"But what am I suppose to do until then?" she asked hopelessly. "I can't face Scarecrow until I know for sure that..." She stopped. The moment Beatrice uttered Scarecrow's name, the three female Munchkins started giggling at her as they whispered among themselves. Great! Now everyone knew her business.


Miss One looked amused as well. As she began to rise to her feet, she helped Beatrice up too. "Cheer up, sweet thing. All is not lost." The four foot and eleven inch tall witch had to reach up in order to take Beatrice's chin between her right thumb and index finger. "My advice to you is to not fret on the things you can't control but focus on the things you can."


"Such as what?"


"Well, judging from your sad face, I think it's safe to assume that you and Scarecrow had a disagreement, right?" Beatrice's sad smile told her that she was correct. "That, sweet thing, is something I can help you fix by giving you a look that will have him drooling after you, honey!" She snapped her fingers in a sassy gesture and twisted her hips.


The Munchkins clapped and laughed at Miss One's enthusiasm.


Even Beatrice couldn't help but chuckle at that. "What?"


"Yes, dear. Have you forgotten already about the feast everyone is putting together to celebrate today's victory? An occasion like this calls for something a little nicer than the everday attire."


Beatrice glanced down at her baby blue jeans and black short sleeved shirt. Her jean jacket was on the bed resting on top of Little Tristian's chest as it slowly rised up and down due to his peaceful breathing. Storm was still on the bed as well, seeking out attention from any of the females that were willing to pet him. "I'm afraid that I was pulled away from my world before I could grab a change of clothes," Beatrice teased.


The engergetic witch laughed. "That's excellent news. I would have been disappointed if you did."


Beatrice frowned. "Why is that?"


Miss One's smile turned mischievous. "Because then I wouldn't be able to do this...YAH!" She suddenly snapped her fingers towards Beatrice and within a blink of an eye, her entire wardrobe had changed. Miss One grinned and rubbed her chin with satisfaction as she eyed her work.


The three Munchkins gasped and grew wide-eyed as they stared at Beatrice.


When Beatrice looked down to see her new outfit, she nearly panicked. Her heart drummed a fast, deadly pace as she took notice of the orange and white wide striped dress that stopped a few inches above her knees. Her sleeves hung only a little past her shoulders. Peering past her knees, she spotted her new shoes which were a pair of brown flats. "What have you done?" she breathed with disbelief.


Miss One's triumphant smile and snickering told Beatrice that this was definitely intentional.


Beatrice could hardly get her words out as she whispered, "I l-look like..."


"Scarecrow!" finished the Munchkin wearing red paint around her eyes and body suit. The rest of the Munchkins giggled some more.


"I told you I could give you a look that would have him drooling after you," cheered Miss One.


Beatrice shook her head. "Miss One, this is too much."


The witch waved a hand dismissively. "Nonsense, darling. You look lovely and he's going to love it, trust me."


"But..."


Miss One quickly raised both hands in a I-don't-want-to-hear-it gesture and closed her eyes. "Too late. Once a spell has been done, it cannot be undone."

Oh, man. What was she going to do? Could she let Scarecrow see her like this? Will this make him want to talk to her or would it only make him want to question her sanity?


Miss One opened her eyes and beamed as she said, "Now, you go get your Scarecrow!"


***


Within the next hour, everyone was heading towards the same spacious open area past the trees that the flying monkeys had just landed Beatrice and her gang in just a couple of hours ago.


She was still in the tree house with Miss One and the Munchkins when she peeked her head outside the empty doorway to peer down at the passing crowd. It didn't take her long at all to spot the person she was looking for. After all, her new dress was now coordinating perfectly with his candy corn colored sleeves.

Scarecrow was among the crowd, walking between Lion and Tin Man. He didn't seem nearly as excited as everyone else did as he hung his head low and dragged his feet.


Just knowing that his sour mood had everything to do with her just made Beatrice feel even worse about the situation. "This is crazy," she said to herself. "I can't go out there dressed like him. He'll either think I'm crazy or just being cruel." Before she could remove her eyes from the view, a voice belonging to a female called out to Scarecrow.


Scarecrow, along with Tin Man and Lion, halted to turn around to see who was trying to get his attention.


Catching up to them was the women dressed in that skimpy outfit with the brightest shade of pink.


Beatrice remembered Scarecrow referring to her as Samantha. Curiosity had gotten the best of Beatrice and she slowly began making her way outside onto the swinging bridge to get a better view of the scene. A deep frown was embedded on her face as she watched that woman sashay up to Scarecrow.


When Samantha reached him, her smile was big as she hugged Scarecrow's right arm happily. "I want you to sit by me tonight, okay?"


Scarecrow blinked at her with surprise. "Uh...okay."


Samantha giggled and kissed his cheek. "See you soon," she sung before walking off ahead of them.


Lion and Tin Man were both giving him quizzical stares. Scarecrow gave them a clueless shrug as if he was saying he had no idea what that was about before they all continued their short journey to the meadow.


Beatrice had a fire growing inside of her as she watched that female happily walk away after successfully showing her interest in Scarecrow. WHAT THE HECK!!! Beatrice thought with anger. She folded her arms and pouted her lips as Scarecrow walked on with his friends, not noticing that she was just a few feet above him. Was he even wondering where she was? Did he even care?


"Come on, Beatrice," cried the Munchkin with the purple and blue clipboard. Her name was Pheonix and she was exiting the tree house with the other two female Munchkins trailing behind her. "It's time for the feast!"


By the time Beatrice, Storm, and the Munchkins arrived in the meadow, it was occupied by every Munchkin and Wickus fugitive in the area. And yet, there was still plenty of room to roam. Miss One stayed behind with Tristian but promised she would arrive in time for dinner.


This feast was happening picnic style. Blankets were scattered all around the field as everyone settle themselves on top of them. There wasn't any sign of food just yet but that was fine with Beatrice because dinner was actually the last thing on her mind.


Several yards away, she spotted Scarecrow again. He was sitting with his legs crossed Indian style as he sat next to Tin Man and Lion but, to Beatrice's dismay, on the other side of him sat Samantha and her crew of females wearing half naked outfits.


Immediately, Beatrice's heart slammed into the pit of her stomach but she soon found consolation in the fact that Scarecrow wasn't paying Samantha the least bit of attention. As Samantha talked between Scarecrow and her friends, he spent his time daydreaming with his melancholy gaze set on his lap.


Beatrice soon felt herself being nudged by Pheonix. Her voice was excited as she cried, "Go, Beatrice. Now's your chance to do what Miss One said!"


"Yeah, go get your Scarecrow!" giggled the red face Munchkin.


Well, at least they were encouraging. Beatrice smiled nervously. "Uh...okay." She took a deep breath and made her way over to Scarecrow. More eyes found their way over to her as she walked further into the field.


People were beginning to speak in hush tones as she passed by. "Look at how she's dressed!" she heard one of them whisper.


"Her outfit matches Scarecrow's" she heard another voice say quietly. "Did she do that on purpose?"


When she was just a few feet away from her destination, Lion was the one to spot her coming first. His eyes widened with astonishment before he tapped Tin Man on his shoulder to get his attention. When Tin Man peered at him, Lion pointed at Beatrice with wonderment.


Tin Man's reaction was full of elation. He smiled at her joyously, no doubt approving of her new attire. That was just the kind of encouragement she needed.


Poor Scarecrow still had his eyes on his lap, not seeing who was coming at him. He didn't look up until he felt Tin Man tap his shoulder before pointing at the woman approaching them.


Beatrice was now only ten feet away from them but halted when Scarecrow's eyes locked with hers. His entire mouth dropped as he gawked at her in awe.


That look he was giving her basically pinned her in place. She couldn't walk any further even if she tried. The sound of everyone softly mumbling around her was quickly drowned out by the sound of her heart pounding in her ears. No, she couldn't go any further. Either he was going to have to come to her or Beatrice was going to turn back around and run back to the tree house in a frantic mess and beg Miss One to give her back her old clothes.


As if he read her thoughts, Scarecrow quickly jumped on his feet and carefully made his way over to her.


Everyone eyed them as if they were a scene right out of a movie. Samantha was the only one who was wearing a pout.


Beatrice hadn't realized that she was holding her breath until he was standing only a couple of inches away from her. Scarecrow stayed quiet as he scrutinized her up and down. Beatrice was becoming even more self-conscious. Here she was, wearing a pretty dress that matched her to Scarecrow and instead of saying anything to her, he only watched her in silence. Obviously, she had to be the first one to say something. Whatever you say, make it clever, she told herself. "Hi," she breathed. Oh yeah, that was REALLY clever.


"Beatrice," he finally gasped. "You..."


She had to divert her gaze. She laughed nervously as she tugged at the dress. Scarecrow watched the action with fascination. "I hope this doesn't offfend you," she told him.


Scarecrow stepped even closer to her. His round dark brown nose threatened to kiss her own. "I'm not offended. I'm...astounded."


"Is that a good thing?" she asked hopefully.


Scarecrow gave her another lookover. "Beatrice..."


"Wait, before you say anything else, I need to say something."


Scarecrow eyed her as if they were the only two standing in the meadow.


Beatrice took a deep breath before she continued. Here it goes. "I don't know what the future holds for me; therefore, I can't promise you anything. But I can say with complete candor that I'm in love with you, Scarecrow."


Scarecrow raised his eyebrows and his eyes practically bulged out of his head. "You are?"


She nodded and smiled. "I know it sounds silly since we've just me yesterday, but I feel like I've known you my whole life. Perhaps that's because of all the stories my mother told me as a kid about you. Nevertheless..." Beatrice cupped Scarecrow's face, who was watching her with shock, and pressed her lips against his.


Loud gasps were heard erupting from all around them but Beatrice had already performed the action so there was no point of apologizing for it now.


Initially, Scarecrow was unmoving against her lips but he soon started to respond to her kiss. When Beatrice pulled away, she continued her sentence. "I'm in love with you and I'm honored to be fighting by your side for the people of Oz's redemption."


Scarecrow's gaze gradually evolved from astonishment to elation. "I've admired and adored you since our first moments together inside the Munchkins' hideout yesterday. But now..." he took both her hands in his. "I feel more devoted to you than ever before."


Beatrice's stomach fluttered at his words. "You really mean that?"


She was smiling even bigger when he said, "As long as you're here with me..." Scarecrow paused to bring both her hands up to his lips for a gallant kiss. "I promise to love you and treat you as mine."


"SCARECROW AND BEATRICE ARE IN LOVE!!!" cried one of the male Munchkins and everyone suddenly cheered on with a mighty applause.


Beatrice and Scarecrow glanced at the large crowd with shy smiles. Looks like everyone approved. Well...everyone except Samantha who was still pouting on that blanket with her arms folded. But that sight right there was enough to make Beatrice want to smile even harder.


Scarecrow was hers.........but for how long though?























End Notes:

For those of you who are Team Wickus right now (Don't deny it. I know you all exist lol), there will be more to come with him...very soon. So get ready!!! In the meantime, please share your thoughts with me on this chapter. Thank you for reading :)

Chapter 13 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:
Soo sorry for the two week gap. I had to spend my spare time last week working on a graduation portfolio, but I'm back! And I'm ready to give you more Scarecrow and Beatrice adventures. Please leave your thoughts. :)
Scarecrow took Beatrice by the hand and led her over to the gang on the nearby blanket and sat down next to Lion. Scarecrow sat in the middle. There was no need for him to reclaim his spot next to Samantha. The way he was beaming at Beatrice right now, it was obvious that Samantha was the LAST woman on his mind right now.

Beatrice eyed him with equal elation and adoration.

After a few more minutes of everyone talking amongst themselves, Miss One had finally arrived. “Everyone,” she called out to the large crowd to get their attention. She was wearing a triumphant smile. “If you all are ready, we can go ahead and get started.”

The few Munchkins and yellow swimsuit wearers that were roaming around quickly found spots on a few vacant blankets and claimed them.

Beatrice stomach finally grumbled. Now that she got that confession to Scarecrow out of the way, she was feeling a lot better and was ready for some chow. She turned her gaze back over to Scarecrow and saw that he still hadn’t looked away from her. Man, he had a way of making her feel like the most beautiful and important person ever to walk the invincible Land of Oz. “What are we having anyways?” she asked him, trying to ignore the massive amount of butterflies that were erupting wildly in her stomach.

He shrugged happily, obviously not caring as long as he could keep sitting next to her. “Knowing Miss One, she’s going to make it something good though. She always does.”

“But first,” Miss One continued with her annoucement and held up a finger. “We have one more guest joining us for dinner.”

Everyone was wearing puzzled expression as they all gazed among each other. From what they could see, everyone was already present for the occasion.

On cue, a young Munchkin was shyly peeking his head out from behind her in order to peer curiously at the crowd. It was Little Tristian!

Beatrice’s heart leapt for joy at seeing him conscious and healthy for the first time. Everyone gasped with excitement.

“Tristian!” several Munchkins cried joyously. “Miss One, you did it!”

Miss One gently coaxed him to stand in front of her. She smiled down at him tenderly. “Pick a spot wherever you like, Sweetheart. You’re safe and among family now.” She affectionately rubbed his shoulders.

The Munchkin by the name of Angeline hopped to her feet. She was filled with joy as she extended her arms out to the boy. “Tristian,”

The boy smiled meekly at her before running into her arms. A loud applause erupted among the crowd.

A couple of other Munchkins around them rose to hug him as well. “We missed you so much!” one female cried out.

A male Munchkin palmed his head and playfully moved his head back and forth. “I knew we’d get you back.”

This reunion warmed Beatrice’s heart. She could easily see that every Munchkin loved him just the same. They were all a family that didn’t put one Munchkin over the other. If one had a brother, then they all had a brother. If one had a child, then they all had a child. So with that being said, Tristian was being reunited with about twenty of his parents. A good twenty plus, however, were still imprisoned at the Emerald City though.

“That Miss One, she always has the magic touch." Scarecrow beamed. "Literally.” It was obvious how much he admired the spirited witch.

“I’m glad we decided to take him with us,” Beatrice said with satisfaction as she peered at Scarecrow.

He nodded. “Me too.”

Miss One raised both her hands in the air with her palms towards the sky. “Now…let’s EAT!” She swiftly swung them in front of her and within a blink of an eye…dinner was served.

***

Incredible. Miss one had provided a wide range of dishes which didn’t appear too different from the ones Beatrice was used to back home but each one carried either a distinct taste or texture that took her off guard. Roasted corn on the cob was about the only thing that stayed the same. Beatrice had to contain Storm on several occasions from trying to jump at other people and take their corn.

Her favorite dish was the one that looked so much like yams but carried a taste of warm buttery candy. “Amazing,” she crooned after finishing her second serving. “How did Miss One get the yams to taste like this?”

Scarecrow brought a small bowl down from his lips that contained what looked like sausage gumbo but Beatrice figured, like everything else in front of them, it had its own special taste to it. He looked at her and said, “They’re candied yams.”

Beatrice chuckled. “Ah, I get it.”

“Beatrice!” A guy in the yellow bottoms whined as Storm had the two of them playing tug-a-war with his plate. Storm was growling as he held on to one end of the plate with his teeth.

“Storm!” Beatrice shouted at him. “Stop that! That doesn’t belong to you!”

“Just give him the corn, Terrance,” one female shouted through her laughter.

The guy named Terrance frowned, still not letting go of his food. “He’s already eaten three pieces!”

“What is it with him and corn?” Beatrice wondered aloud as she moved to get on her feet and intervene.

“You haven’t introduced him to anything else yet,” Scarecrow told her as he gestured at the food in front of them.

That’s right. FlyMam’s supposedly begin to like whatever their owners like. Beatrice sat back down and picked up a nice size candied yam. “Storm, get over here. I have something for you.”

Storm’s growling suddenly stopped as he looked over at Beatrice and took notice of what she was waving at him. He let go of the plate but had yet to make a move towards her. Instead, he tilted his head curiously to the side, making his left furry ear prompt upward. And just when Beatrice thought he couldn’t get any cuter, he does something like this.

“Let him see you eat it, Beatrice.” Scarecrow suggested.

Beatrice bit into it and smiled delightfully. Man, if only candied yams tasted this good in her world. They weren’t bad but the ones here were phenomenal. Before she could offer it to him again, Storm was already charging at her as fast as his little feet could carry him. “Whoa, easy,” she order when he rushed into her lap and smacked on the vegetable. In no time, he was ready for another one. “No more stealing food from people,” she told him before reaching for another one to give him.

Scarecrow, Lion and Tin Man laughed at the FlyMam’s newfound passion for candied yams.

After the delicious feast, everyone continued to relax on their blankets and talk among each other. At some point a few of the male Munchkins unexpectedly huddled up and began harmonizing. Together, they made up an upbeat exotic melody.

Beatrice turned from the conversation she was having with Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Lion to peer at the talented Munchkins. Man, they were good.

Everyone else grew quiet as well, in order to properly hear them.

Beatrice quickly found herself nodding to the beat when a few men in the yellow bottoms flipped over their empty plates and began beating on them to the rhythm, giving the melody a nice bass.

It wasn’t long before some of the crowd began to hop on their feet and dance around the meadow. Others, laughed and either clapped or provided background vocals to the exiting upbeat tempo. It sounded so other worldly, which made it very appropriate in Beatrice’s eyes.

Tin Man rose to his feet. “Aw man, this is a good one right here.” He jerked his shoulders twice, producing a metal-like clank that complimented the melody. He was soon shuffling his feet closer to where the other dancers were.

When Samantha’s gang of girls rose, they turned their attention over to Lion, giggling as they pulled him on his feet. He beamed at them with satisfied surprise. Luckily, Samantha was among them. Good. It was time for her to move on to the next anyways.

“Um…excuse me, Miss,” a small young voice said to her.

Beatrice turned to her left and saw that Little Tristian had snuck up on her. It was the first time she heard him speak. She beamed at him with delighted surprise. “Hello, Tristian. I’m so glad you’re feeling better.”

Tristian had big round eyes that carried a gleam of gold. He smiled at her meekly, not seeming aware that he had a few crumbs around his half painted purple mouth. This had to have been his first real meal since God knows how long. “I want to thank you and Mr. Scarecrow for saving me.”

Beatrice chuckled. That Mr. Scarecrow reference was too cute. “Of course. And don’t you worry, we’re going to free everyone else in the Emerald City too.”

Scarecrow nodded and smiled too.

“Wickus wants us there because we’re good singers and dancers,” Tristian told them over the harmony that was engulfing them all.

“That’s no excuse. You all should be able to sing and dance freely. Don’t you like to be free?” Beatrice smiled sweetly at him as she tilted her head to the side.

Tristian chuckled and nodded eagerly. “Do you like to sing and dance?”

“Yes, but I’m not as good as you all are. I’ll look silly dancing next to you all.”

Tristian smiled even bigger. “I wanna see.” He reached for her hand and pulled her off her feet, forcing Storm to find a new lap to rest in. All of that corn and candied yams seemed to have given him a serious case of the idis.

“Wha-” Beatrice was being dragged closer to the source of the vibrant melody. When she glanced back at Scarecrow, he was tittering hard, not seeming to care that is was now just him and Storm left on the blanket.

Little Tristian laughed as he danced excitedly in front of her. His moves contained a lot of jumping. So Beatrice did the same, no longer caring about how silly she was going to look. If you can’t beat them, then you might as well join them.

It wasn’t long before she got really into it and caught on to some of the words and started singing some of the background words with the rest of the crowd. It looked as if everyone was on their feet now, jumping and clapping and bring their own flavor into the mix.

When she peered back over towards the blanket, she only saw Storm curled up in a ball as he slept peacefully, despite the loud party that was going on around him. Where was Scarecrow she thought?

Her quiet question was answered the same moment she heard Little Tristian squeal with delight. She looked back at him and saw Scarecrow lifting him up and sitting him around his neck, letting Tristian’s legs hang off his shoulders. Beatrice laughed too as they all danced together.

Tristian clapped over Scarecrow’s head as he smiled down at him and sung along with everyone else.

It was a fun moment that was too short lived. Although the celebration lasted for the majority of the night, time just seemed to have flown by.

Too soon was the celebration over and time for everyone to head back to the tree houses. Scarecrow, however, asked Beatrice to stay behind with him and without a second thought she told him yes.

When they were finally alone with Storm still sleeping on the blanket, Scarecrow smiled shyly are her. “I was wondering if I could try something out with you.”

Beatrice was clueless. “Uh, sure. What did you want to try?”

He stepped closer to her and she held her breath. Scarecrow raise his right hand with his palm facing the sky. That hypnotizing blue light of his had suddenly appeared but he didn’t take his eyes off Beatrice’s face.

She, however, had her focus on that radiant ball of energy he was currently forming. She slightly jumped when Scarecrow quickly closed his hand into a fist, diminishing the light. Although it was pretty neat, Beatrice was already aware of what he was capable of. So what was he trying to do now that was so different from the other times?

Before she could query him, Scarecrow ran a few fingers slowly and gingerly down her bare right forearm.

The action sent a strange burst of energy through her, as well as had butterflies dancing in the pit of her stomach. That strange energetic sensation, however, was much like the one she felt last night before the two of them destroyed the Hulkpuppet that was trying to capture Storm. The feeling had only gotten stronger as Scarecrow slid his fingers down to the inside of her palm. Beatrice glanced down at the contact they were making and gasped when she saw a small blue flicker of light appear in the same moment his fingertips kissed hers.

“Amazing,” Scarecrow crooned. “When I will it on my own, it doesn’t feel anything like this.” He looked up and smiled at her with fascination. “But when we touch and create it together, it feels like a whole new form of power.”

“Can we make it stronger?” she asked in amazement.

“From what I’ve noticed last night, I think it feeds off of emotions. The stronger our feelings, the more potent the energy.” He entwined their fingers together. “Will you kiss me?”

Her heart leapt at the sound of his velvet voice asking her that beautiful question. Their lips have yet to make contact and she could already feel the surge of energy between their enclosed hands threatening to evolve into something more. She leaned in closer to him and Scarecrow met her halfway.

There kiss was gentle but the feelings Beatrice had for Scarecrow were violent. And as a result of how deep her feelings went for him, she could feel the energy in their hands getting so potent that the heat that began to radiate from it became equivalent to that of a blazing fire. Beatrice didn’t understand how the two of them were able to tolerate such heat but she didn’t want to have to pull her lips away from his in order to ask.

Scarecrow was the first to pull back. “Wow,” he whispered, wearing a satisfied smile.

“Thank you.” She smiled, gladly accepting his compliment.

He laughed. When he studied their hands again, he said, “It’s growing.”

He was right. The ball of light was growing so much it started to separate their entwined fingers, only allowing them to grab the sides of it.

Beatrice frowned. “It’s hot like fire but it isn’t scorching us. I wonder why.”

“Probably because we’re the producers and controllers of it. I doubt anyone else would be able to survive it though. That Hulkpuppet last night sure didn’t.” The moment Scarecrow uttered those words, his whole body went rigid.

Beatrice noticed his sudden change in demeanor. She became confused. “Scarecrow?”

Scarecrow was looking right at her with a wide-eyed expression but he seemed to have his thoughts on something else entirely. “Beatrice?” he said her name with a whisper.

“Yeah?” she retorted quietly.

“I think we’ve just learned how to defeat Wickus.”
End Notes:
I hope this chapter didn't move too slow for you all. Much more to come soon. A lot sooner than last time. LOL
Thank you for reading!
Chapter 14 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:
I know what you're thinking. It took me longer than a week to update again. Lol don't be made at me. Believe it or not, I'm actually updating as much as I can. Lol Enjoy!
Bright and early the next morning, Scarecrow and Beatrice begged Miss One to assemble everyone in the large meadow again. Having no clue to what these two were up to, the spirited witch complied anyways.

“Scarecrow, what is this about?” complained the crow wearing a blue vest once they were all gathered in the meadow. He lifted his left wing and scratched his head sleepily. “I wasn’t done dreaming.”

Beatrice gave the crow a stare that said she was unimpressed by his complaining. Even though she’d quickly befriended every good natured being she came in contact with in the Land of Oz, Beatrice still hadn’t quite warmed up to the crows just yet. Just thinking about the way they use to treat Scarecrow in the past had her frowning and glaring at them each time she saw them.

“Beatrice and I have excellent news!” chimed Scarecrow, very excitedly. He looked away from the large crowd gathered in front of them in order to peer at the young lady standing beside him.

Beatrice was still wearing the white and orange striped dress Miss One made for her yesterday, mainly because she knew how much Scarecrow loved seeing her in it—it was obvious by the way he kept watching her—but also because before she went to bed last night her old clothes were nowhere to be found. If Beatrice didn’t know any better, she would have guessed that Miss One had gotten to her clothes and deliberately made them vanish. So for now, she was stuck with her Scarecrow-look-alike outfit. Beatrice met Scarecrow’s grin with one of her own.

The female Munchkin named Angeline gasped excitedly. Her eyes widened as she asked, “Are you two getting married?!”

The rest of the crowd grew animated by that possibility.

Beatrice chuckled and shook her head. These Munchkins were something else. Always saying the first thing that comes to mind.

“Unfortunately, no” Scarecrow said thoughtfully.

Beatrice eyed him with surprise. Did she hear him say unfortunately? As in, Scarecrow WANTS to marry her? That thought had all sorts of butterflies erupting inside of her.

“However,” Scarecrow continued and took Beatrice’s hand in his. “It’s still pretty big and important.”

The crowd grew dead quiet as they waited for the news.

“As you all know, the congenial Miss One has blessed me with a portion of her radiant power, giving me the ability to protect and defend you all with this.” He let go of Beatrice’s hand and raised his palm in order to produce a small ball of ocean blue light.

Everyone smiled at his creation.

“You’re the one for the job, my brother!” Tin Man cheered.

Lion grinned and nodded in agreement.

“Thank you, Tin Man” Scarecrow smiled.

It was now Beatrice’s turn to speak. “You all are also now aware of the fact that Scarecrow and I have feelings for one another.”

“Deep feelings,” Scarecrow added softly as he smiled at her.

Oh, boy. If Scarecrow continues to watch her like that then that hard pounding going on inside her chest will never ease up. Stay focus, Beatrice had to mentally tell herself. “Between Scarecrow’s power and our new found love, a new weapon has been formed.”

The couple was met with numerous puzzled expressions. All except Miss One looked lost. The witch gazed at them with a triumphant smile, as if she already knew what they were about to announce. Perhaps she did.

“What do you mean?” Cried out a curious female in the yellow bikini set.

Beatrice turned her entire body towards Scarecrow and he did the same, still forming the small circular light in his right palm. It was demonstration time. The moment Beatrice placed her left hand underneath his, the light in his hand had already begun to grow. It made perfect sense. Making any kind of contact with Scarecrow always had her feeling something beyond elation. However, it wasn’t until Beatrice took her right hand and entwined it with his free hand when the ball of light gradually began to heat up.

“It’s getting brighter!” gasped Rolin the Munchkin, whose eyes were about to budge out of his head as he gawked at what they were doing.

More mumbles were heard coming from the crowd but Beatrice didn’t pay them any mind. She was too busy getting lost in those giant brown eyes in front of her. Man, she really did wish she could stay with him forever but truth be told, she didn’t think that was likely to happen. Could she find the audacity to permanently neglect her own world and forever remain here in Oz? And most importantly, even if she wanted to, would Glinda permit it?

Thinking about her feelings for him must have made the light do something special because the next thing she knew, everyone gathering around them had jumped back.

When Beatrice and Scarecrow finally diverted their eyes from each other’s faces and peered down at their creation, they saw that the light was not only twice as big as a basketball but was also engulfed in dark blue flames. It looked so pretty yet very, very lethal so Beatrice understood perfectly why everyone reacted the way they did.

“This is our weapon,” Scarecrow said proudly.

Miss One gave the couple a maternal smile. “Well I’ll be…” she crooned. “Looks like you two have found a way to bring your love to light. Literally.” She laughed at her joke and everyone else followed along.

Miss One was so silly, Beatrice thought, but also very benevolent. It was no question why everyone loved her so much, especially Scarecrow.

Little Tristian gently pushed the adults out of his way as he made his way towards the front of the crowd. He stared at the blue light with confusion and curiosity. Storm had his upper body and two front paws resting on top of the young boy’s head while his hind legs stood on his shoulders. He too watching on with adorable curiosity. “That’s Miss Beatrice and Mr. Scarecrow’s love?” Tristian queried Miss One as he pointed at the large ball of light. “Why does it look like that? It looks like a blue fire.”

Miss One gave him a patient smile. “Because that’s love, sweetheart,” she answered. “Love is bizarre, unique, special, beautiful, but also very lethal.” She gestured at Beatrice and Scarecrow. “Just like that big blue fire Beatrice and Scarecrow is holding right now.”

“What are they going to do with it?”

Beatrice was the one who answered him. She moved from Scarecrow to approach Little Tristian and kneel in front of him. The moment she stepped away from Scarecrow their blue flame had diminished back into a minor blue glow until Scarecrow closed his fist and made the whole thing disappear. “We’re going to defeat Wickus and rescue the rest of your family.” Beatrice playfully tapped him on his cute little half purple nose.

The boy’s entire face lit up. “Today?” he asked her hopefully.

That question dropped a sting of fear in the pit of her stomach. Was she and Scarecrow ready to take on Wickus today? But looking at that cute little optimistic face in front of her made it extremely hard to say no.

Before she could answer him, Scarecrow came beside her and palmed her left shoulder. He only uttered one word but it astonished the heck out of Beatrice. “Today,” he said in agreement.

She quickly peered up at him but he was smiling confidently at the boy. Beatrice rose to her feet. “You sure?” she asked in a low voice that only Scarecrow could hear.

He leaned in closer to her as he whispered, “The longer we wait, Beatrice, the more time we’re giving Wickus to get stronger and angrier. If we’re going to make a move, we need to do it now.”

Now? Oh, God, please help us, Beatrice silently prayed.

“That’s what I’m talking about, Scarecrow!” Lion cried happily as he came towards him and draped an arm over his friend’s shoulder. “You go and show that poor excuse for a warlock what you and Beatrice can do.” He gave Scarecrow’s shoulder one quick shook. “While you’re gone, I’m going to be right here making sure everyone stays safe and alright.”

“You’re coming with us, Lion,” Scarecrow told him.

Lion froze. “Say what?” he frowned.

“We need all of you,” Scarecrow looked around at the crowd. “What we’re about to do is going to take team work. In order to get close enough to end Wickus, we’re going to need an army by our side.”

Lion gulped. “An army? Us?”

Beatrice took in everyone’s uncertain and frightened gaze. Obviously, they needed a little more encouraging. “Surly you all aren’t afraid.” Everyone gave her a look full of disbelief. Of course, she was just as afraid as they were but no way was she going to show it. If they all knew how scared she really was then they would never become convinced. She eyed every Munchkin that was in her sight. “Didn’t you all just rescue me yesterday? You all seemed pretty fearless then.”

The Munchkins looked down as they considered her words. “It was somewhat fun,” she heard one of the males mumble under his breath.

“Don’t forget that you all also need to make Wickus and his loyalties pay for what they did to Munchkin Land.” Some of them had begun to nod in agreement as if they had forgotten about that last part. Good. Progress. Beatrice then turned her attention to the yellow swimsuit wearers. “When I was a child, my mother used to tell me about how you all had to overcome the cruelties of Eviline. So dealing with her son now should be child’s play for you.”


It was now their turn to grow pensive as they mumbled among each other. “She’s right,” she heard one of the females whisper.

Beatrice turned her attention over to the four crows standing on the right side of the crowd. She narrowed her eyes at them and pointed a finger in their direction. “As for you four,” The crows winced slightly at her sharp, serious tone. “You owe it to Scarecrow to help out. After the way you all use to treat him, you should be more than ready to come to his aid when he requests you to.”

The crows brought their heads down shamefully.

Now, it was time to address Samantha and her gang of friends. Reluctantly, Beatrice faced off the girls. “You all being here hiding from Wickus tells me that you all are more than ready for him to come down from dominion. Therefore, we need everyone who feels the same as you to contribute to this mission.”

The girl wearing the baby blue short tank and daisy dukes shook her head at Beatrice.

“What’s stopping you?” Beatrice asked.

“What can we do?” Samantha folded her arms. “We don’t have powers like you and Scarecrow,” she complained enviously.

“That doesn’t matter, Samantha.” Scarecrow chimed in and gave her a confident smile. “As a union, we’re all a lot stronger than you think.” He extended his right hand out towards Beatrice for her to take. Once she did, he stepped closer to Samantha, still holding on to Beatrice, and stretched out his free hand towards Samantha. “For this to work, we have to trust and depend on one another. Can you do that Samantha? Can you believe in us accomplishing something big together?”

Samantha’s expression looked conflicted for a moment before she finally put her hand in his. “Okay,” she said finally. “We’ll do what we can.”

Scarecrow let out a breath of relief while Beatrice gave her a small smile. Scarecrow was right about them needing everyone on board.

Beatrice peered at the rest of the crowd. “How about the rest of you?”

Tin Man was the first one to step forward. He took off his metal hat and performed a gallant bow. “It would be my great pleasure to assist with the reclaiming of the Emerald City.”

Beatrice sighed with satisfaction. No matter what, she could always count on Tin Man.

When Tin Man stood up straight, he peered at Lion and urged him to step forward too.

Lion groaned and reluctantly complied. “Me too, I guess,” he pouted, obviously not wanting to be a part of this.

Beatrice approached him with a grateful smile.

Lion flinched slightly when he saw her hands reach for his face, probably still shaken up from the last time she slapped him. But what she did now had obviously surprised him.

Beatrice kissed his cheek.

Lion blinked at her speechlessly.

“Thank you, Lion. I know I’ve mostly done nothing but doubt you since I’ve met you but you’ve really been coming through for us.” She smiled at him sweetly as she fondly pet his curly mane. “And I’m sorry for slapping you. Twice.”

A few chuckles were heard from among the crowd but they had quickly deceased the moment Lion shot them all a threatening glare.

Beatrice smirked at him. “Forgive me?”

Lion turned back to her and brought the back of her right palm to his lips for a kiss. “Apology accepted. And I’m sorry too. For giving you so many reasons to doubt me.”

The sound of someone blowing their nose had Beatrice, Lion, and everyone else breaking away from the tender moment and turning their heads in Miss One’s direction.

She had just lifted her nose from the tissue she was blowing in to meet everyone’s gaze and say, “What? Oh, for goodness sake, I’m not made out of stone you know!” She waved at everyone dismissively before dapping her eyes with the tissue.

More chuckles were heard.

“How about the rest of you?” Scarecrow asked them.

Beatrice added on, “Will you stand with us and fight for what’s rightfully yours?”

“Will you stand and fight for Oz?” Scarecrow queried.

After another moment of thoughtful silence, more of the crowd had begun to courageously step forward. Soon, everyone was finally on board. This made Beatrice feel a lot better about the situation. Just knowing that everyone was going to be having her and Scarecrow’s back made her a lot more confident. “We can do this!” she cried happily.

“I wanna come too!” Little Tristian gently tugged on Beatrice’s dress in order to get her attention. “Can I be a part of the army?”

Beatrice admired this little Munchkin so much. So much passion danced in his eyes. “You’re very brave to want to do that, Tristian but I actually have another job for you. It’s very important. Do you think you can handle it?”

Tristian grew even more excited. “Yes, Miss Beatrice! I can handle it! I promise!”

“Good. What I need for you to do is to protect this little one right here.” She gestured at the adorable FlyMam still on top of the young boy’s head. Beatrice rubbed Storm’s head affectionately as she said, “Strom has a way of getting into a lot of trouble and I need someone to look after him and keep him safe while I’m gone. I can’t trust just anyone with this responsibility, which is why I’m trusting you. Can you protect Storm for me, Tristian?”

Tristian seem slightly disappointed that his task didn’t call for any sort of epic action but luckily he complied. “Okay,” he said a little glumly. “I’ll protect him for you, Miss Beatrice.”

Beatrice couldn’t help but to kiss his purple painted cheek. “Thank you.”

“How are we to fight Wickus’ Hulkpuppets and Skywatchers?” asked the chubby crow in the red vest. His voice carried a very low bass tone. “We have no weapons or fighting skills.”

Scarecrow seemed to have already been way ahead of him. He was already walking over to Miss One with an expectant smile. “We’ll be okay, won’t we Miss One?”

Miss One smile back at him mischievously. They seemed to be having a silent conversation. Without looking away from Scarecrow, she said to the crowd, “Everyone, get ready. It’s time to go to war!”

Scarecrow then beamed at Beatrice with an adoring gaze. “Let’s go show Wickus the Wicked what our love can do!”

Showtime, Beatrice thought, feeling pumped up now and ready to take on a Warlock!
End Notes:
Things are about to get pretty epic again so get ready! In the meantime, please share your thoughts with me. Once again, thank you so much for reading. More as soon as I can. Lol I promise :)
Chapter 15 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:
Hey guys! Sorry for the delayed. I'm out of the country but still trying to update as much as I can. Things start to pick up again in this chapter. It may be a little short but there's so much more to come. Enjoy!
About an hour later, Beatrice and Scarecrow were once again riding on the back of Cheetah and soaring out of their safe haven. Behind them were the rest of the flying monkey gang each carrying at least two members of Beatrice and Scarecrow’s army.

They made sure to fly no higher than the trees around them, trying to remain as discreet as possible. Wickus’ Slueth and Skywatchers could be roaming around anywhere. The flying monkeys were so stealth and crafty as they flew on in the direction of the Emerald City.

“Are you okay?” Scarecrow whispered in Beatrice’s ear when they were half way there. He was sitting behind her with his arms wrapped around her waist.

Beatrice gulped. “Yeah, sure. I’m okay.”

Scarecrow obviously wasn’t convinced. “Don’t worry. We can do this. Just remember the plan. As long as we stay together, we’ll be fine.”

Beatrice nodded but didn’t say anything else.

“I believe in you, Beatrice. But more importantly, I believe in us,” he stated happily.

When she turned around and peered over her and Scarecrow’s shoulder, she notice that some of the flying monkeys were starting to veer off in other directions around the city, carrying some of the Munchkins and swimsuit wearers over to the areas of the city where the prisoners were kept. Samantha and her gang of girls were also among them. While they proceed with their rescue mission, Beatrice, Scarecrow and everyone else would remain out in the open, hopefully creating a successful diversion. Beatrice prayed that they all would come out okay after this. Although this was a war, she couldn’t bear the thought of any of her friends dying. “Good luck,” she whispered softly to the ones who were separating themselves. She then turned back around and narrowed her eyes with determination burning through them as she peered at the sight in front of her.

The dull green city that once used to be so vibrant and full of life stared straight at her, awaiting their arrival. Oh, boy.

Beatrice had her weapon in one hand and held on to Cheetah with the other. As did Scarecrow and everyone else. Miss One granted Beatrice with a three foot fighting staff while Scarecrow still possessed his gigant sling shot.

As for the rest of the crew, their weapons varied from bow and arrows to pitchforks, things with sharp ends that would be great for unstitching the Hulkpuppets and harming the Skywatchers. Beatrice and Scarecrow’s army was ready thanks to Miss One and as long as Beatrice showed her bravery she knew they would too.

Cheetah descended to the ground directly in front of the big castle, not bothering to be discreet anymore. The rest of the gang followed suit and landed behind him.

Scarecrow and Beatrice dismounted him and took one bold step forward. The rest of their group was walking up behind them.

Now was the time for her to call on all the anger and hatred she felt for this evil warlock. Standing here out in the open should have made her feel exposed and vulnerable but having Scarecrow and her friends beside her made her feel daring and unconquerable. “WICKUS!” she yelled out for him, her voice echoing through the eerie silence and bouncing off the massive castle before her.

The sky was fully covered by thick dark clouds. Despite it being almost noon, the sun was nowhere in sight. A strange breeze had begun to run through the city, sending a small chill running up Beatrice’s spine but she fought the urge to shiver.

“Beatrice, up there.” Scarecrow pointed upward.

When she looked up, she took notice of a dark figured looking down at them from the balcony on the highest level of the castle. She couldn’t see his face, only his silhouette, but could almost feel his death glare. For a brief second, lightening flash across the sky above him, adding on to the unsettling atmosphere but she refused to be intimidated by it. Instead, she called out to him, “THIS ENDS TODAY!”

He release an unnerving loud chuckle and within a blink of an eye he was gone. Talk about creepy.

A deep snarl coming from the castle’s main entrance had Beatrice’s immediate attention. Several Skywatchers and Hulkpuppets were exiting the building in a big cluster. “The only thing ending today IS YOU ALL!!!” shouted one of the Skywatchers angrily.

On cue, a roar of thunder erupted, making everyone flinch from the sound. This was going to be a very rough storm, for obvious reasons.

Beatrice lifted her staff in a swinging position. “Bring it on you ugly bird!”

The Skywatcher growled and pointed at her with his wing. “Ugh, Wickus may have given me orders not to kill you but I can still make you suffer!”

Without any kind of warning, Scarecrow slingshot out a blue ball of light in the enemy’s direction. That blue light tackled them with an aggressive force, causing the Skywatcher and his crew to tumble over like bowling pins. “I don’t think so,” Scarecrow growled through gritted teeth.

Beatrice watched him speechlessly. She had never seen Scarecrow angry before. He was always the calm one in the group.

“No one touches Beatrice without going through me first!” So much energy and determination was radiating of him.

“Likewise!” Tin Man was now shoulder to shoulder with Scarecrow holding up his axe and facing off the foes. Yikes! Beatrice would hate to get too close to that.

“You pathetic creatures!” roared Lion, now standing on the other side of Beatrice, having no weapon but his teeth and claws. “You don’t stand a chance against all of us!”

Once Wickus’ loyalties were back on their feet, they angrily charged at the crowd before them. “YAH!” the first Skywatcher shouted out.

Beatrice and her gang were more than ready for the impact. In fact, they were meeting them halfway. She swung at the first Skywatcher that came in contact with her, sending him flying to the west and knocking him straight into another foe. She aggressively swung her weapon at the second foe running up to her, successfully knocking him off his feet as well.

Scarecrow was putting his giant sling shot to excellent use. It allowed him to take out several Hulkpuppets with a ball of light the size of a basketball.

Lion snarled and jumped on a Skywatcher. The two of them rolled and tumbled in a ball as they fought.

The Munchkins and swimsuit wearers were all handling their own just fine as well, managing to rip apart a few Hulkpuppets and injure some Skywatchers, as did Tin Man with his trusty axe.

Cheetah and his gang of monkeys were an extremely big help. Not only did they help increase the numbers in the army but they were fast and quite skillful with their attacks. Some of them flew up to the sky and took on more Skywatchers that were flying over to the scene. This battle was bound to have every last one of Wickus’ loyalties out here fighting to the finish, which was all part of the plan. If they could get every last enemy out here, then there would be no one left to watch the prisoners, blessing the second group with the perfect opportunity to complete their rescue mission. And then it would be time for the big finale!

The roars from the battle blended in well with the brutal thunder.

About half an hour into the fight, things started to take a turn for the worst. Beatrice just managed to put down another Hulkpuppet and looked up at Scarecrow to smile at him in triumph.

He was standing a few feet away but not too far off. He also was having great success but when he peered over at her he gave her a look full of fear. “BEATRICE!!!” He started running towards her full speed.

Beatrice could almost feel someone standing behind her. Everything happened so fast. The moment she whipped her head around, there was Wickus barely standing an inch away from her, glaring at her with a gaze that burned like fire. Her breath got caught in her throat as she took in the sight of him.

Four deep, large scratches were now embedded in his face in a diagonal fashion from his forehead to his chin. It was a deep flesh wound that didn’t look as if it would be disappearing in this life time. One of the scratches passed over his left eye causing his pupil to remain a deep crimson red. His irises possessed crack lines all over it as if it were a broken antique. Ugh, as if he didn’t look hideous enough before Lion had wounded him. “Hello, strange beauty of mine,” he crooned to her in a tone that sent dread running all through her body. Without giving her or Scarecrow a chance to react, Wickus immediately opened up his right hand with his palm facing the dark clouded sky and blew what appeared to be black smoke in Beatrice’s face.

The moment she inhaled the strange smoke Beatrice was out like a light.

“BEATRICE!!!” Scarecrow tried to catch her but she had already gone limp in Wickus’ arms.

The last sound Beatrice was able to make sense of was a malicious laughter.
End Notes:
Don't worry. I'll be updating as soon as I can, I promise. In the meantime, please leave your thoughts with me. Thank you so much for your faithful readership :)
Chapter 16 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:
Hey guys! Things get a little intense in this chapter so get ready. Enjoy!
Beatrice was having that same dream again. The one where Scarecrow stretches his hand out to her and gives her that smile that always makes her go weak in the knees.

This time, however, she was able to hear the question he was asking her. “Will you stay with me?” That velvet voice of his asked her hopefully.

She wanted more than anything to say yes but something was holding her back, keeping her from giving him the answer he sought. It wasn’t that she was trying to remain silent. It was just that for some reason her mouth wouldn’t let her speak.

When she noticed his smile beginning to falter, she tried to call out his name but it was no use. Her voice was mute. Nothing she said could be heard and with that Scarecrow dropped his hand and hung his head down low with despair.

Slowly, he turned away from her and began walking away in a deep depression.

Beatrice was trying her best to bellow out his name at this point but Scarecrow just keep on walking until he was almost out of sight. So much panic engulfed her at this point and so she lunged herself forward after him but instead of catching up with him, Beatrice’s body was headed straight for the ground. Before she could hit the ground, she shot awake.

Man, she was really beginning to hate that dream. What did it even mean? And where was she now? She cautiously raised her head from the cold floor that seemed to be made of glass. Last thing she remembered was fighting off Skywatchers and Hulkpuppets with her friends right before…Wickus. OH NO! She panicked and quickly took in her surroundings. Beatrice was no longer on that battlefield but now somewhere in that eerie castle trapped inside of what looked like a large cube made of thick glass.

She quickly jumped to her feet and searched for a way out but there seemed to be no exit. How did she even get in here in the first place?

“Awake so soon?” That familar dreadful voice sung to her with a hint of amusement.

Beatrice whipped her head around towards the sound of it and found Wickus eyeing her with triumph from the outside of the large cube.

Wickus had trapped her like an animal which made her grow even angrier with him. The minute she began narrowing her eyes at him his grin deepened. This jerk was really enjoying this!

She furiously banged on the glass that was isolating her. The medium size room they were in was dark and gloomy with only one large window a few yards away which offered the only form of light present. Even that was pretty dim and gloomy since a storm was practically brewing outside. More thunder was heard.

Wickus just stared at her with his arms folded. “Now, now,” he said calmly. “You should know me better than that. I can’t have you escaping so easily like last time.” He stepped closer to the cube and Beatrice recoiled some. That cracked crimson eye of his was unsettling to look at, as was that long scratch across his face. “I’m thrilled you came back to me but I’m going to make sure you won’t get away from me like that ever again.”

“I loathe you” she said between her teeth. “This is the last day you’ll rule over the Emerald City.”

Wickus brought his right index finger up to the glass and ran his super long claw-like fingernail down the glass in front of her frame. The structure of the cube was so thick that Wickus’ action didn’t even produce a scratch. “I just love the fire that’s in your spirit,” he crooned. He then brought his attention to her orange and white dress and growled with displeasure. “But you insult me by wearing that.”

“Good,” she told him. “Maybe now you’ll get a clue. I don’t belong with you now let me out of here!” Beatrice aggressively banged again on the thick glass in front of him.

“Don’t worry, love. I don’t plan on keeping you cooped up for long. Just long enough for that walking piece of garbage to notice you.”

Beatrice frowned at him. “What do you mean?”

Wickus pressed both hands against the glass and said with excitement, “You, my strange beauty, are the perfect weapon for Scarecrow’s demise. I will now be able to end him once and for all.”

Beatrice’s eyes widened with realization and panic. This wasn’t just about him trying to marry her again. This was a trap for Scarecrow! “No!” she yelled.

Wickus rolled his eyes at her disapproval. “Oh, come on. I can’t have you getting distracted by other guys, now can I? Besides, that pile of junk had this coming for a while now.” Fury danced in his one good eye.

“Touch Scarecrow and I swear I’ll—”

She was interrupted by a loud blast coming from the double doors a couple of yards away from where she and Wickus were. Bright blue light was filling up the room’s entrance as the double doors blasted away from the door frame. “BEATRICE!” Scarecrow called out to her as he frantically barged into the room with his giant sling shot in hand. He froze the moment he took sight of her trapped in the bizarre cube.

Wickus had somehow vanished that quickly and that had made Beatrice fear even more for Scarecrow. “Scarecrow, No! Go back! It’s a trap!”

Scarecrow scurried over to her. “Hang on! I’m going to get you out!”

“NO!” she called out to him with wide eyes.

The moment his hands touched the giant glass cube, Scarecrow halted, groaned out in pain, and crouched over until he was on his knees.

Beatrice watched him with eyes full of fear and her hands pressed against the glass.

Scarecrow’s left gloved hand was clutched over his heart as his face was stricken with pain. “Ah!” he cried with his eyes shut tight. He was soon bent completely over with his head resting over his knees.

“Scarecrow!” she called out to him, kneeling down too as she tried to see what was wrong. She was filled with extreme worry. What was happening to him?

“Oh come on, now! That was almost too easy,” Wickus’ voice called out with boredom. He walked up behind Scarecrow, finally showing himself again. He shook his head at Scarecrow as if he was a disgrace. “For a smart one you sure are dumb. I can’t believe you didn’t see that coming. Does she put you off your guard that much?” He turned his gaze over to Beatrice. “Told you, you’re the perfect weapon.” His voice was proud as he smiled at her.

“What did you do to him?” she demanded, not taking her eyes off Scarecrow. She wanted so badly to hold him in her arms.

Scarecrow groaned in agony once more. He sounded like he could be crying.

Wickus’ smile turned devious. “Let’s just say he suffering from a broken heart. Literally,” he snickered.

“What?” Beatrice finally looked up at Wickus. If she could have blasted that stupid smile off his face with her and Scarecrow’s new found power then she so would have.

“I may have casted a heartbreak spell on this.” He gestured at the glass cube surrounding her and shrugged. “Serves him right for touching it. And for falling in love.”

“Heartbreak spell?” Beatrice was lost.

“Do allow me to show you, my bizarre girl. It's a painful suffering that conveniently becomes fatal. Take a look.” Wickus turned his attention back to crouching Scarecrow. He kneeled so that when he spoke he would be directly in Scarecrow’s ear. “Feel that?” He asked in an unsettling low voice. “That’s your heart breaking because no one loves you.”

“Stop it!” Beatrice called out frantically but of course he didn’t listen.

“Get. Away. From. Me.” Scarecrow mumbled through gritted teeth but the pain in his heart was obviously too great for him to push the dark warlock away. He remained crouched over with a deep grimace on his face and eyes shut tight, his left hand still covering his heart.

Wickus ignored his demand. “You remember Dorothy, don’t you?”

Beatrice saw Scarecrow’s entire body go idle at the mentioning of her mother’s name.

“You remember how she left you? Abandoned you? She had rather go back to her own boring world and fall in love with a human man than stay in Oz forever with you.”

Scarecrow made a gasp for air as if he was choking. His eyes and mouth shot open wide.

“WICKUS, STOP IT!” Beatrice shouted panicky as she banged loudly on the glass that was confining her. “LEAVE HIM ALONE! GET AWAY FROM HIM!!!” How did Wickus even know about Scarecrow being in love with Dorothy, she wondered?

Wickus laughed with satisfaction. “Your heart is showing me everything right now as it cracks and breaks at the recalling of your sufferings.”

Oh, this is not good. Beatrice’s heart was thumping a deadly pace.

“Think about it,” he continued in Scarecrow’s left ear with that calm and eerie tone. “Dorothy had gotten married to someone else and had a child and never thought twice about you. Yet you use to think about her every moment of every day.”

Scarecrow flinched at his words and then his body trembled. “S-Stop it,” he uttered out of his agony.

“SCARECROW, DON’T LISTEN TO HIM!” It was killing Beatrice to watch this. Tears were welling up in the corners of her eyes. “My mother thinks about you all the time!”

“Why would she? A piece of garbage like you couldn’t do anything for her” Wickus laughed.

“WICKUS!!!” Beatrice bellowed and finally got his attention.

He looked up at her and held on to her gaze with so much victory dancing through them. “And now you’ve fallen in love again,” he crooned as if he actually pitied Scarecrow without taking his eyes off Beatrice. “With the daughter of your first love.”

Scarecrow shuttered some more and Wickus looked back down at him. This was effecting him on a very strong level.

“Did you really think things would be different this time around?”

“Wickus, please stop,” Beatrice begged as her first set of tears ran down her cheeks. If only she could break free from this dang cube!

“Look at her.” Wickus yanked Scarecrow’s head up by gripping the back of his wild hair, forcing him to face Beatrice. “Why would a beauty like her fall for the likes of you?”

Scarecrow reluctantly opened his eyes and peered at her with wet stained cheeks and red eyes.

Beatrice swore her own heart just dropped right then and there. He was eyeing her with immense anguish and it caused more tears to stream down her face.

“Just like her mother, Beatrice has no reason to stay with you.” Scarecrow’s quivering became even more violent and that’s when Wickus leaned in even closer to his ear and whispered, “Because she doesn’t love you.”

That sent Scarecrow right over the edge as he scrunched up his face and released an agonizing scream that had Beatrice’s ears ringing. She even swore she could hear the sound of something cracking inside of him. Was that his heart literally breaking?

Oh no! NO! “SCARECROW!!!”

Wickus was too busy roaring with laughter over the tormenting sounds Scarecrow was making.

Beatrice felt as if she was dying inside. She began sobbing as she helplessly watched Scarecrow suffer an excruciating pain that would ultimately lead to his end.

He continued to scream and groan at the top of his lungs.

Beatrice pressed her forehead against the glass with defeat. She had no way to reach him and save him.

Then, something in the reflection of the glass cube caught her attention. There was a strange sparkly figure suddenly standing right behind her.

Beatrice quickly turned around to gaze at the figure full on and noticed that she was no longer alone inside the strange cube.

A remarkably beautiful middle aged woman wearing a long sparkly blue gown bedazzled with drops of starlight all around it along with a matching headpiece was staring back at her with a maternal patient look. She had a butter tone complexion and mesmerizing brown eyes.

Beatrice’s eyes widened as she gazed at her and her breath got caught in her throat. She was beyond speechless by this woman’s presence.

“Break the glass, Beatrice,” crooned her gentle dreamlike voice which carried an abundance of wisdom. Scarecrow’s wails and Wickus’ malicious laughter all seemed to have faded into background noise as the woman spoke to her.

“How?” Beatrice croaked powerlessly.

“Call on the power you and Scarecrow have created together.” She spoke with such patience.

More tears fell down Beatrice’s face as she looked back at her suffering companion. “But I can’t do it without him. I have to be touching him.”

“You got to believe, child.” The woman’s voice got a little firmer as she said that. “Do you always have to be touching him to know that your love for him is real?”

“Of course not.”

“Well there you go. You just got to believe in it. Hurry now, Scarecrow needs you.”

On cue, Scarecrow’s screaming made it back to Beatrice’s ears, along with the dreadful sounds of his breaking heart.

Beatrice flinched when she heard more cracking noises erupt from inside of him. He was getting closer to his end. She had to force herself to stop sobbing and concentrate on how to save him.

“This is it for you, Scarecrow!” cheered Wickus as a black flame danced in his good eye.

A strong anger suddenly stirred inside Beatrice, replacing most of her sadness. She rose from her kneeling position. “Believe,” she whispered to herself before taking a deep breath and placing both hands against the glass. As she kept her eyes focused on the tragic scene playing out before her she felt a familiar surge of warm energy shoot through her and erupt from her hands. Immediately, large cracks began to appear and spread over the glass.

Scarecrow was now gritting his teeth from the pain while his body still trembled violently.

“DIE, FINALLY!!!” Wickus roared.

“NO!!!” Beatrice screamed at the top of her lungs and sent millions of pieces of the glass cube flying all around the room.
End Notes:
Oh boy! I hope it's not too late for Beatrice to save Scarecrow. Yikes! Also, does anyone think they know who that mystery woman was who visited Beatrice?
Chapter 17 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:
Another major development here! So I'm really going to want to know your thoughts on this one. Happy reading!!!
Wickus took his attention off suffering Scarecrow and was now eyeing Beatrice with extreme disbelief.

She was suddenly free and lunging straight at him. She tackled him and pinned him directly on his back. “I SAID LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!” Beatrice could still feel the warm energy radiating out of her palms but when she placed her hands on Wickus’ face it wasn’t enough to harm him.

Wickus grabbed her wrists and rolled them over until he hovered over her. “You still can’t keep your hands off of me, can you?”

She struggled against him but he was unfortunately much stronger than her.

“Face it, Beatrice! Scarecrow has met his fate. You’re mine, not his!” he yelled at her then held on to both her wrists with one hand as he summoned a black beam of light with his other. “I think I’ve finally grown tired of your mutiny. Time for you to cooperate.”

Before he could aim the dark light at her, Wickus was knocked clean off of her by a hard tackle from a large gold and brownish figure.

Beatrice quickly rose to her knees to get a better view of the scene that was suddenly playing out. “Lion!!!” she called out.

Lion and Wickus were in a tumble a few feet away. Lion growled as he tried to keep the warlock underneath him but the foe was putting up one heck of a fight.

“Beatrice!” Tin Man’s voice called out to her with worry.

Beatrice turned around to the sound of her name and saw him kneeling beside Scarecrow. So much relief had filled her heart at the sight of their two most loyal friends coming to their aid but her happiness was short lived when she took in the sight of Scarecrow. He was still hunched over his knees with his forehead touching the ground. He was now quiet and motionless.

So much dread came over her as she hurriedly crawled towards him. Please still be alive, she prayed. “Scarecrow!” She touched his shoulder but he didn’t react. With the help of Tin Man, she was able to reposition him to lay on his back. He may have been dead weight but luckily he wasn’t dead yet.

Scarecrow’s eyes were open but he didn’t seem to be looking at anything in particular as he stared of miserably into the distance. He didn’t even seem to have notice Beatrice and Tin Man sitting on either side of him.

“Aw man, this isn’t good,” cried Tin Man with panic inched all over his metal face. “He’s wounded very badly.”

Beatrice quickly scanned his body from head to toe. “I don’t see any visible wounds though.”

“Emotional wounds are a lot more severe than physical wounds, my dear.” Tin Man looked at her helplessly. “His heart is broken almost beyond repair.”

Beatrice leaned in closer to Scarecrow’s face in an attempt to get in his line of vision but he still paid her no attention. “Scarecrow, it’s me, Beatrice. Can you hear me?”

Scarecrow was still motionless and sporting a hopeless expression.

A loud roar of agony from Lion had Beatrice and Tin Man abruptly looking over at him. Wickus had Lion trapped on his stomach by some invisible force as he violently gripped the giant feline’s tail with evil purpose. He was trying to rip it off. Lion howled in more pain.

“Hang on, brother! I got you!” Tin Man was on his feet and running to his friend’s aid with his axe in hand.

Beatrice needed to hurry up and find a way to help Scarecrow so that they both could help their friends. The two of them were the only ones who could permanently stop Wickus.

Looking back down at the one she loved, she tenderly placed a hand on his chest and over his heart. So much melancholy was in her voice when she said, “I was supposed to take care of this, wasn’t I?” A tear fell from her right eye and ran down her cheek. She knew it wouldn’t be long before more would start to appear.

If it weren’t for his eyes still being open Beatrice would have thought he was lifeless. But Scarecrow was still in there somewhere. She just needed to reach him somehow. “Scarecrow, what Wickus told you wasn’t true. I do love you.”

She waited for him to react. He blinked once but after that nothing else happened.

Sure enough more tears were strolling down her cheek now. “This is all my fault. If I’d only agreed to stay in Oz with you then you would have never had reason to doubt my love for you.” She sniffed and shook his arm. “Scarecrow, please get up. We need to defeat Wickus, remember?”

Tin Man was suddenly screaming.

When she looked back over towards their friends, Tin Man was on the ground having what seemed to be a seizure as white and blue streams of electric static danced all over his head. His eyes and mouth were open wide as he yelled.

No doubt Wickus was responsible for that. The dark warlock had his attention back on Lion who was still held prisoned to the floor.

Beatrice gasped with a new found fear.

Wickus was just about to blast Lion’s tail with a black and red ball of light when another person ran to the scene in the nick of time hollering as they lunged themselves straight at Wickus, knocking both of them to the ground.

Although this was Beatrice’s first time laying eyes on this man, she had a good idea of who he was. He wore a pair of worn out pajamas with a long robe full of red, blue, and gray designs all over it. His appearance was that of a normal African American man in his thirties with no abnormal Oz-like appearance to him. His distinct features were a thick afro and an equally thick mustache.

As he rolled and wrestled around with Wickus he kept a tight grip on the warlock’s right wrist. Wickus’ right hand was the one that was summoning that creepy light so the strange man was trying his best to keep it away from him. “Beatrice!” He called out as he struggled with the warlock. His eyes were wide with fear. “I think we all would very much appreciate it if you could hurry up and help Scarecrow!”

“YOU PATHETIC EXCUSE FOR A WIZARD!!!” Wickus roared they continued to roll around the room.

Tin Man was still hollering in agony while Lion grunted as he tried to free himself from the unseen force that was pressing him into the ground.

Beatrice didn’t have time to figure out how the man learned her name. She quickly looked back at Scarecrow and said, “Scarecrow out friends need you. I need you.”

A teardrop fell from her chin and landed on the back of her hand that was resting over his broken heart. Scarecrow blinked again. Was she finally reaching him?

She leaned in closer until they were practically nose to nose. “I don’t care what anyone says. We belong together. Your mine and I’m yours.” She moved even closer. Her lips brushed over his as she said, “Which is why I’m going to stay here with you” and kissed him sweetly.

Then something finally happened. Beatrice could hear the sound of something reconnecting inside of Scarecrow. His lips had then begun to move against hers the same time she felt underneath her hand his heart pumping boldly and healthy inside his chest.

She gasped and opened her eyes but didn’t break away from the kiss.

Scarecrow was looking directly into her gaze with those big, beautiful doe brown eyes of his. Unlike before, he was actually seeing her now. His stare no longer possessed heartbreak and anguish but only an abundance of love and determination.

Beatrice felt his right hand cup the left side of her face before he deepened the kiss. She was soon closing her eyes again.

Through that one kiss Scarecrow and Beatrice share everything. No beautiful feeling or emotion was left unperceived after that.

It felt like a gorgeous eternity before their lips parted but in reality it was only a few precious moments. Both of them were wearing the biggest smiles they could muster.

They were soon brought back to the present by the sounds of their suffering friends and Wickus’ angry slurs as he hovered over the strange man with his left hand gripped tightly around his neck.

The man looked up at Wickus with frightened eyes as he made gagging noises. He tried to pry away the warlock’s long eerie fingers but to no avail.

“My loyalties may have failed miserably in trying to destroy you but I will not be so insufficient in my task.”

Scarecrow and Beatrice rose to their feet.

“Ready?” she asked him. Her heart was pounding aggressively in her chest as she mentally prepared herself for what they were getting ready to do.

He gave her a big loving smile. Not an ounce of doubt was dancing in his stare as he determinedly took her hand in his.

Already Beatrice could feel their love morphing into something fierce and lethal between their palms.

“I’m in Oz. I need to be ready for everything.” The smile he gave her almost made her go weak in the knees.

Simultaneously, they shot their gaze over to Wickus.

Beatrice was no longer afraid. She believed that what she and Scarecrow had was enough to defeat Wickus. Before she knew it, a ball of blue and silver light was growing rapidly between them.

When it was twice as big as their heads it was burning hot like lava. It even had a special glow to it than the previous times they produced it. They grabbed it on either side. She and Scarecrow made eye contact one more time before they released it in Wickus’ direction.

Before Wickus could use his black and red light on the man he was choking with his free hand, he was met in the chest by Scarecrow and Beatrice’s creation. The giant ball of radiance went through his body and was out of sight. Wickus instantly froze with his mouth ajar. He looked as if he was just stabbed in the gut.

The black and red light he was summoning had suddenly vanish and he released his choke hold on the human man.

The electric static engulfing Tin Man’s head was suddenly gone, as was the invisible force holding down Lion. The two of them slowly got to their feet as they took in the sight of Wickus.

Wickus grunted loudly and fell on his back. “What’s happening?” he gasped breathlessly and clenched at his chest.

Beatrice and Scarecrow walked up to him and stood over him. They were holding hands again just in case Wickus needed a double tap.

“Looks like you’ve just been attacked with pure love, Wickus.” Scarecrow told him with a strong-minded gaze. “Something that you never knew anything about.”

Beatrice bend down a little bit to get closer to the suffering warlock. “You tried to break us but you didn’t. Our love is unshakable.”

Wickus grunted loudly and clutched his chest even harder. “It feels like…”

“Like fire?” Beatrice suggested. His second grunt told her that she was correct. “Keep in mind Wickus that we do not wish to kill you if there’s a chance at redeeming you.”

Wickus gathered enough strength to shoot them a glare full of hatred. “I refuse to be like you all! Weakened by love and tenderness.” Soon his entire body was glowing with blue and silver.

Scarecrow pulled Beatrice back some.

“If I must die today then so be it!” he hollered weakly. His face tightened with more pain. “But I’m dying while still being wicked.”

“You’re wrong,” Beatrice said softly and stepped closer to him again. Sympathy was in her voice when she said. “You’re not dying wicked. You’re dying alone.”

And with that, Wickus the Wicked cried out in pain as the silver and blue radiance consumed him until Beatrice couldn’t see him anymore. His wails began to fade the same time the light started to diminish.

Once the light was gone, so was he.
End Notes:
I had so much fun writing this chapter so I hope you all really enjoyed it. Please tell me your thoughts on it. More to come very soon.
Chapter 18 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:
I apologize in advance if there are too many typos or grammar errors in this chapter than usual. I was in a hurry to get this chapter posted before I had to go to work. Please enjoy!
Beatrice wasn’t sure how long she stayed there staring at the now empty spot on the ground, blinking at it speechlessly. “It’s over,” she whispered after what felt like a long moment of silence.

She then felt someone cautiously palm her shoulder. It was Scarecrow, watching her with extreme concern.

Beatrice turned to him and immediately wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face in the crook of his neck.

“Are you okay?” he whispered.

Without lifting her head from him, she nodded. “I should be asking you that question,” and hugged him tighter.

Scarecrow leaned his face into her full head of curls and exhaled with relief. “I feel incredible, thanks to you.”

His embrace felt like the safest place in the world to her.

“Scarecrow,” Lion called his name as he and Tin Man approached him and Beatrice, looking just as relieved as they were.

Scarecrow and Beatrice pulled away from each other in order to hug their friends.

“Thank you,” crooned Beatrice after hugging Tin Man. “But how did you two know we were in trouble?”

Tin Man smiled at her. “Friends don’t let friends face trials alone, my flower. After Wickus captured you, we saw Scarecrow run in the castle to save you. So without a second thought, we followed suit.”

Lion huffed and folded his arms. “More like he followed suit and yanked me along,” he mumbled.

Beatrice smirked at him and placed a hand on her hip. “You know something, Lion? You’re a lot braver than you give yourself credit for.”

Lion then gave a sheepish smile.

Soon Beatrice’s attention was on the strange man standing just a few feet away. He was wearing a self-conscious expression as he fidgeted around with his fingers.

“I know who you are,” she said as she approached him. “You’re the pretentious wizard of Oz.”

He winced at her choice of words before giving her an apologetic smile. “I also go by Herman Smith.”

“Where in the world have you been this whole time, Herman?” Tin Man asked with curiosity. “We thought Wickus and his loyalties either killed you or ran you out of Oz.”

Herman stretched his hands out and said, “I never left.” Then he snickered. “I’ve been hiding here in the castle the whole time.”

“How did you pull that off?” Beatrice asked him.

“I have a great skill in hiding.” His smile turned triumphant.

“Yeah, especially when it comes to hiding the truth,” Lion mumbled with bitterness, obviously still upset with Herman for deceiving everyone into thinking that he was the great and powerful wizard of Oz.

Herman gulped.

“That was over two decades ago, Lion” Beatrice told him before turning her attention back to Herman. “Besides, he helped us out a lot today.” She smiled genuinely at him. “Thank you.” Without a second thought, she wrapped her arms around his torso for a hug.

For a few seconds, Herman was stiff and unresponsive but then his arms came up and hugged her back.

Loud cheers of victory had suddenly erupted all around the castle. The noise sounded like it was coming from both inside and outside the large castle.

“BEATRICE! SCARECROW!” Rolin the munchkin was suddenly running into the room breathlessly. “Are you all alright?”

“We’re fine, Rolin” Scarecrow answered him but had to raise his voice in order to be heard over the loud cheers. He stepped forward with a puzzled expression. “Is everyone else okay?”

Rolin’s eyes were full of excitement. “More than okay. All of the Hulkpuppets have simultaneously vanished into nothing!”

“The Hulkpuppets were created by Wickus.” Heman explained, trying to speak loud enough to be heard by everyone in the room. “Now that he’s gone, so is every spell that he’s ever casted.”

“What about the Skywatchers?” Beatrice asked.

Rolin jumped up and down happily. “We outnumber them now. And they’re nothing without Wickus. THEREFORE, WE WON!!!”

Everyone in the room was suddenly smiling from ear to ear.

“Come on!” Rolin gestured for them to follow him before running out the room.

Beatrice laughed with relief as she took Scarecrow’s hand and followed everyone out the room. She stopped when she noticed that Herman wasn’t following them. “What’s wrong?” she asked him.

He looked saddened as he stared down at the floor. “I can’t go out there and let everyone see me like this.”

“Beatrice,” Scarecrow said her name softly and she turned her head towards him. He spoke sympathetically. “Everyone still thinks he’s the great wizard of Oz. If he goes out there, they won’t have anything to believe in anymore.”

Beatrice turned pensive for a moment. She then walked up to Herman and gently said, “It’s time to tell everyone the truth.”

“They’ll hate me,” he whispered with despair and took a step back.

Beatrice stepped forward. “You can’t expect anyone to ever love you if you don’t let people see you for what you really are.”

He watched her thoughtfully. “You know your mother said something like that to me before.”

“You should listen to us then. Maybe we’re on to something.” She smiled at him encouragingly and stretched out her hand for him to take.

After a few long moments of hesitation, Herman finally took it.
***

They all took the staircase down to the main lobby that was about as big as a football stadium and were greeted by an enormous crowd of Munchkins, yellow swimsuit wearers, and the original residents of the Emerald City. All of the prisoners were finally free. Most of them were dancing, cheering and rejoicing while some of them helped a few munchkins corner the remaining Skywatchers near the back of the lobby.

Beatrice went speechless as she took in the vast improvements of the atmosphere. She looked up at the see through ceiling and saw that the storm was gone and replaced with a clear blue sky and vibrant sun that shined its golden rays into the massive lobby.

The castle’s dull green shade was gradually becoming brighter until it was a breathtakingly beautiful Christmas green illumination. It didn’t take Beatrice long to figure out that this was happening everywhere else in the city as well.

The giant double doors that granted entrance into the lobby were wide open as the crowd extended all the way outside. Everyone was in great spirits as they jumped around and danced. It was a beautiful sight to behold. Today was a day the people of Oz would never forget.

Scarecrow gently squeezed her hand. “We did it,” he whispered to her, wearing that famous angelic smile.

Beatrice returned the expression. They were standing with Lion, Tin Man, Rolin, and Herman by the staircase they just descended.

“LET’S GIVE IT UP FOR BEATRICE AND SCARECROW!!!” Rolin roared over the noise and punched a fist into the air.

Then together everyone turned to face them and shouted, “TWO, FOUR, SIX, EIGHT! WHO DO WE APPRECIATE!!!” That went on repeatedly before it erupted into other various forms of cheering.

“Miss Beatrice! Miss Beatrice!” Little Tristian was happily making his way over to them with Storm in his arms.

Beatrice was surprised by the sight of him but gladly hugged him anyways. “Tristian, what are you doing here?”

“Miss One brought me and Storm here.” The smile gave her made her heart melt. “She said you and Mr. Scarecrow defeated Wickus the Wicked.”

She then noticed Miss One among the crowd smiling at them fondly.

She laughed as she took Storm in her arms who immediately started purring against her. “I guess word travels fast here in Oz. Yes, we did. And thank you for taking care of Storm for me.”

Tristian nodded and then went over to hug Scarecrow with the same affection he gave Beatrice.

“PLEASE, DON’T HURT US!!!” One of the Skywatchers that were cornered against the wall cried out.

“We never really did like Wickus,” explained another one.

Beatrice then made her way through the crowd. Everyone was still applauding her as she walked past them and the ones that were in her way easily stepped aside while still admiring her.

When she made it to the ones that were guarding the Skywatchers, some of the noise had died down so that they could hear what she was going to say.

The Skywatchers gulped as they watched Beatrice glare at them with detestation. It was a little over twenty of them still remaining.

“Oh, please don’t kill us, Beautiful One! We never meant any harm by you,” one of them pleaded with her in that annoying screechy voice.

Yeah, right, she thought. “Save your breath,” she told him. “I’m not going to kill you. None of you are worth the trouble.”

They all sighed with relief.

“However, I am permanently banishing you back to the Westside of Oz.” She felt Scarecrow and their gang of friends come up behind her. She spoke her next words through gritted teeth. “But don’t you ever let me catch any one of you back here again or I promise there will be hell to pay.” She took another bold step towards them. “Do I make myself clear?”

Some nodded frantically while others responded verbally. “Yes, we understand.”

One of them dropped to his knees and attempted to reach out and touch Beatrice as he said, “Oh, thank you! Thank you for your mercy!”

Before he could make contact with her, Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Lion stepped in front of her and stopped him in his tracks with threatening glares.

“Don’t even think about it,” Scarecrow told him firmly.

Even Storm had jumped out of her arms to play bodyguard. He landed next to Scarecrow in a pre-attack stance as he growled. He may still have been a baby FlyMam but the Skywatchers knew better than to try and mess with him.

The Skywatcher on his knees recoiled backwards against the wall. “My apologies! I just wanted to show my appreciation.”

“Not necessary.” Beatrice told them. “Just leave. Now.”

“And don’t come back!” spat Little Tristian who had peeked his head out from his hiding spot behind Scarecrow. His fear of the Skywatchers was justifiable, considering the fact that he used to be held captive by them.

Apparently they were all moving too slow for Lion. So he let out a mighty roar that had every Skywatcher screaming and scurrying out of the lobby.

Everyone laughed at them as they ran frantically through the massive crowd until they were outside and able to jump into the air and soar to the west.

As of now, every foe of the Emerald City was officially gone and even more cheers erupted from everyone.

They celebrating went on for another minute or two until an Emerald City native took a good look at Herman Smith and gawked at him. “Great and powerful wizard, is that you?” she asked with disbelief.

The cheers died down again as more people directed their attention towards the human man standing next to Beatrice. Gasps and mumbles were quickly replacing the cries of jubilation.

Herman hunched his shoulders up shyly and gave everyone a sheepish wave. “Um…hello, everyone.” He chuckled nervously.

Beatrice palmed his shoulder as she addressed the crowd. “Everyone, I have someone here who wants to officially introduce himself to you.” She then nodded at him to continue before taking a step back, letting him have the full spotlight.

When he peered at Scarecrow, Lion, and Tin Man, they were all giving him positive nods and smiles.

“Oh boy,” Herman mumbled before clearing his throat, another nervous gesture. “Um, you all know me as the great and powerful wizard of Oz. But the truth is…” He glanced back at Beatrice again.

She grinned at him sweetly. “Go ahead,” she whispered to him.

He turned back to face the bemused crowd. “Um, the truth is…I’m not a wizard.”

Everyone gasped with surprise and took a step back.

“My name is Herman Smith. I’m just an average man from Atlantic City.” He raised his hands up as a sign of defeat.

“This can’t be true!” one them shouted.

“It doesn’t make any sense!” said one of the males of Emerald City.

“I lied to you all.” Herman continued. “I should have told you all the truth the moment I first came here instead of letting you believe that I was something I’m not. I betrayed you all’s trust. And for that…” Beatrice could hear his throat tightening up as he said, “I’m sorry.”

One of the female swimsuit wearers threw her face in her hands as she cried. Someone began rubbing her back comfortingly.

Miss One was watching on with a look of immense disappointment and folded her arms. Surprisingly though she kept quiet.

“What is to come of Oz now?” cried a male munchkin helplessly. “We have no ruler now.”

“We’re doomed!” shouted someone else.

More cries of agony were being born until Beatrice spoke up again. “Everyone, calm down. It took a lot of bravery for Herman to come down here after all of these years of hiding and finally tell you all the truth.”

Everyone grew quiet again.

“Listen, I know you all are upset with him and probably will be for a while but what you all need to do right now is just forgive and count your blessings.”

“What blessings?” someone asked.

Beatrice frowned at female who asked that question. Was she for real. “Guys, we all just took on a dark warlock and lived!”

“We got the Emerald City back,” Scarecrow reminded them.

“And Herman helped us,” Tin Man added.

Luckily, this was a very influential crowd. “Just give him a chance to show you all the real him.” Beatrice pleaded.

Herman gave them a hopeful smile.

“But we still have no ruler!” yelled Simon. The man Beatrice met in the Jazz club the night Scarecrow took her to see Tin Man. His face was filled with panic.

Beatrice tried to fight the urge to roll her eyes. “You don’t need a ruler, Simon.”

More confusion danced on his face as he looked at her.

“Be your own person. All of you,” she looked around the various people crowding her. “You don’t need anyone telling you what to do or how to live. Live for yourself.”

“That may be true, my dear.” Miss One finally spoke up and walked closer to the front. Everyone was now looking at the wise witch. She raised up a finger. “However, everyone still needs someone to guide them in the right direction every now and then. Not a ruler but someone who can function as an example or role model.”

“A leader?” Scarecrow asked curiously.

Miss One snapped her fingers and smiled at him. “Exactly!” Her eyes then started to light up as she studied him. “Someone who is extremely smart and has experience with protecting and guiding others.” She stepped closer to him.

Scarecrow’s eyes widened with disbelief as he took a step back.

Miss One continued to walk closer to him until Scarecrow had his back against the wall. “Someone who is patient, kind, and loving.”

“And fun!” Tristian added on excitedly.

“Someone who everyone will respect and listen to,” Miss One continued on. She kept staring at him with that loving maternal smile.

Beatrice came up next to her and gave Scarecrow a beautiful enthusiastic smile. “Someone like you, Scarecrow.” This was a great idea. Scarecrow was just the type of leader the Emerald City needed.

The crowd mumbled amongst themselves as if they were considering it too.

“He really is brave,” one commented.

“And smart,” someone else said.

“And fun!” Tristian added on again and everyone laughed.

Scarecrow gulped. “Me?” His back was still pressed against the wall.

Everyone nodded.

“I…I…” For the first time ever, Scarecrow was at a lost for words. He had nothing, no famous quotes or sayings to give to everyone. Nothing.

“I think you’ll make a great leader.” Beatrice grinned at him.

When he met her gaze, he seemed to have recovered from his nervousness. He took his back off the wall and stepped closer to her. Eyeing her with such intensity. “Will you do it with me?”

She gasped. “Huh?”

He took both her hands in his as his stare poured demandingly into her. “Beatrice, will you help me guide the people of the Emerald City?”

Whoa. Needless to say that she was blindsided by that question.

Everyone grew extremely quiet as they waited for her answer.

Suddenly, a soft shimming sound was filling up the large lobby along with sound of children humming beautifully to a gentle melody.

Everyone turned their heads toward the sounds and saw a beautiful woman with several young children appear before their very eyes.

Beatrice’s heart was pounding due to anxiety. This was the same woman who came to her just a few hours ago. If it wasn’t for her, Beatrice probably would have never figured out how to save Scarecrow. “It’s you,” she whispered in wonderment.

Everyone was silently gawking at the beautiful lady.

She was wearing the same gorgeous sparkly dress and headpiece that resembled a radiant stare.

Behind her floated at least seven children in the air that seemed to be between the ages of one and five years old. They were all a precious sight to behold and were adorning a smaller version of the outfit their mother was wearing.

The rays of the golden sun made their attire shine brighter, making them all seem…angelic.

“Hello, Glinda.” Miss One smiled at her.

Glinda slightly bowed her head and smiled affectionately. “It’s so good to see you again, Miss One.”

Glinda, Beatrice said her name mentally as if she was having a hard time believing this.

“Hello, everyone” Glinda addressed the crowd. “This is indeed a great day for the Emerald City. And we have none other than our two heroes to thank for this incredible triumph.” She smiled tenderly at the couple she was referring to. Her voice was so soothing and beautiful. “Beatrice. Scarecrow. You two have not only made this a moment Emerald City will always treasure but also a day all of Oz will never forget. I thank you for that.”

Now Scarecrow was really speechless.

Beatrice took a step closer towards the remarkable woman. “Miss Glinda, were you the one who sent me here?”

Glinda smiled. “We needed a strong spirited and compassionate person to put an end to Wickus’ reign. So I knew the daughter of Dorothy Gale would be ideal for the job.”

“So it wasn’t a coincidence when I found Storm in my world.” She stated thoughtfully as she looked down at her pet who was hiding behind her legs from the mysterious woman while peeking his little head out at her curiously.

“No, child. I sent him to you.”

“My mother saw you in the cyclone that swept me here.”

Glinda nodded.

Beatrice looked around the lobby at the crowd, then at Miss One and Tristian, and then at Herman, Lion, Tin Man, and Scarecrow.

Scarecrow was looking nervous and anxious as he met her gaze.

“So what happens now?” Beatrice asked Glinda when she turned her stare back on her. “Am I meant to stay here in Oz? Is this my purpose?”

Now it seemed as if everyone was holding their breath as they waited for the response.

Glinda answered patiently, “I’m afraid I can’t decide that for you.”

Beatrice frowned. “What do you mean?”

“No one can tell you what to do with your life, Beatrice. You decide what you live for.”

That’s exactly what Beatrice just told everyone a few minutes ago about having a ruler. She then gasped with excitement. “You mean if I wish it, I can stay?”

“Yes, but keep in mind, my dear child, that no matter what you choose, there’s a sacrifice you’ll have to make.”

Beatrice’s smile faded. “Is there any way around it?” Her voice was hopeful.

Glinda shook her head sympathetically. “I’m afraid not. With love comes big sacrifices.”

Beatrice’s heart dropped.

“Beatrice,” Scarecrow called her after a moment. When she turned around to face him, he cupped her face. His eyes were saddened but he smiled at her anyways. “It’s okay. You don’t have to stay to prove that you love me.”

“Scarecrow?” She was bewildered. What was he saying?

“I already know how you feel. And it’s not fair to pressure you. So for that, I’m sorry,” he crooned genuinely.

Her heart felt even heavier than before. “Scarecrow, don’t-”

“Whatever you decide,” he said before she could finish. “Just know that in here,” he palmed his heart. “You’ll always feel like mine.”

Seeing him on the brink of tears made her feel like crying herself. She palmed her own heart and then a tear actually strolled down her right cheek. “Same here. No matter where I am, you’ll always have my heart.” She then traced his face like she did when she first met him in the munchkin’s hideout. “I really do love you, Scarecrow.”

Now Scarecrow’s first tears were making their debut. “La Rochefoucauld says that ‘true love is like ghosts, which everybody talks about and few have seen.’” He kissed her lips with sadness and passion. When he pulled away, he said, “Thanks to you, I am now among the fortunate few who have witnessed it.”

Oh, Scarecrow! Beatrice’s heart was screaming right now. But there was just no way she could be with him AND her family. No way was this an easy decision but she was going to have to give up something. Now, there was no more holding back the tears. Her waterworks were on all the way. She reluctantly pulled herself away from him and glance at all the other sad faces around her.

Little Tristian was crying too. “Don’t go,” he pouted. His eyes were red from tears.

That made her feel more miserable.

Tin Man’s look was gentle. “Follow your heart” he told her.

Lion cleared his throat in order to stop himself from crying but didn’t say anything.

Miss One was also trying to smile through her tears. “You will really be missed, my dear. But we understand.”

After looking the rest of the crowd over, whom were all looking reluctant for her to leave, she took a deep breath and face Glinda once more. “Glinda?”

The radiant witch watched her with patience. “Yes, child?”

More tears were streaming down Beatrice’s face. She barely sounded like herself when she said, “I’ve made my decision.”
End Notes:
Oh boy! I have to know what you all are thinking right now so please share your thoughts with me. I'll try to have the next chapter up by Labor day.
Chapter 19 by DareToDream
Author's Notes:

Final Chapter! I hope you all will enjoy it.

It was a little after nine thirty at night and it was pouring heavily outside. It had been going on for a few hours now and flood warnings were already flashing across the television set.

Dorothy was currently putting together a salami sandwich in the kitchen. It took everything in her power to keep herself from daydreaming again.

It had been two whole days since her daughter left for Oz and that departure was pretty much the only thing that had been dominating her mind.

Worry and doubts were beginning to stimulate. When she released her daughter into the massive twister the other day, she failed to think about her husband Albert and what his reaction would be towards the fact that his only daughter was suddenly missing.

Needless to say, he hadn’t been in the best of spirits since that day. When Dorothy tried to explain things to him, he had simply ignored her explanations and got the police involved the very next day, obviously thinking that she had been taken by someone in this world.

That really didn’t surprise Dorothy though. He’d always believed that Oz only existed in her head. So there was really no way of making him see the light until Beatrice came back.

. . .If she came back.

Wait! What was she thinking? Dorothy shook her head at the thought. Of course Beatrice would come back. This was her home and Dorothy understood better than anyone else that there was no place like home.

That thought then had put a smile on her face. Home is where the heart is and Dorothy’s will always be here in New York. Therefore, she had no doubt that Beatrice would follow her heart too.

She finished prepping the sandwich and placed it on a small saucer before making her way over to the living room couch.

She sat down next to Albert who looked beyond miserable as he stared off into the distance. The TV was on with the volume down low but it wasn’t receiving any of his attention.

Dorothy placed the saucer on his lap. “You need to eat something, honey” she insisted gently.

Albert shook his head but didn’t turn to look at her. “Not hungry.”

“Glinda will bring her back, Albert.”

Her husband released a tired sigh. “Please don’t start that again, Dorothy.”

“Listen, I know this all sounds insane to you but I promise that Beatrice is all right and will be back any day now.”

He slowly turned his head over to her. “Do you remember the very first day we met?”

Dorothy scooted closer to him and smiled. “Thanksgiving Day 1978. Aunt Em and Uncle Henry had Thanksgiving dinner at their house.” Meeting her husband on that day wasn’t the only reason why that was a day she would never forget. That was also the night she herself was swept up by a mysterious tornado and taken into the world of Oz.

Albert looked as if he was caught up in a memory as he spoke. “You were so shy that day.” He chuckled briefly. “Barely talked to me, let alone looked at me but I didn’t mind at all.”

Dorothy closed her eyes and laid her head on his shoulder. “Hmm, why is that?” She asked even though she was grateful that her introversion back then hadn’t stopped him from his pursuit of her. She was a happy woman and a totally different person now.

“Because I saw that adventurous and ambitious woman inside of you screaming to get out. At church, your Aunt Em used to tell me all about your wild but fun imagination and the creative stories you would make up for the children you use to teach. The way she talked about you…I just had to come meet you for myself.”

Dorothy’s grin deepened at the memory of her Aunt Em. Her aunt and uncle were everything to her. God bless their souls.

Albert removed his untouched sandwich off his lap before he continued on. “You have this fantastical and otherworldly spark about you that I’ve never been able get enough of. Even now when our daughter is missing you still can’t seem to shake it and it makes me so confused.”

Dorothy raised her head from his shoulder in order to see his face.

Albert looked conflicted. “I find myself torn between admiring your imagination and just wanting you to be honest with me. Where’s our daughter, Dorothy?”

Dorothy pulled him in for a precious kiss. When she pulled away, she asked, “Do you love me?”

“Of course,” he breathed softly but his eyebrows were still furrowed.

Dorothy couldn’t help herself and began tracing his strong jaw line and mustache. “Then you’ve got to trust me, sweetheart. Our daughter is fine.” She kissed his lips again. “She’s fine.”

Albert exhaled but it was more of a sound of defeat than relief. “I’m going to go to bed now.” He scooted to the edge of the couch before rising to his feet. Without another word, he headed towards the back of their medium size apartment and entered their bedroom.

It pained Dorothy to see her husband like this. And truth be told, she was missing her daughter like crazy too. Feeling stressed, she leaned forward with her elbows on her knees and buried her face in the palm of her hands.

She wasn’t sure how long she stayed that way but she lifted her head abruptly when she heard the knob to the front door make a sound as if someone was trying to unlock it on the other side. Dorothy was still as a statue as she listened to the sound.

Then the noise was gone and Dorothy couldn’t hear anything other than the pounding rain coming down on the roof and windows.

For a few long seconds nothing else happened. Dorothy hadn’t even realized that she was listening so hard that she was holding her breath so she wouldn’t miss anything.

All of the lights in the apartment were off save for a small lamp sitting on the short round table beside the couch. Courtesy of the dim light, Dorothy was able to notice the doorknob turn.

She gasped and jumped to her feet. Her heart was pounding aggressively in her chest. Could it be? Oh, please let it be, she prayed to God.

The door was suddenly pushed open and in walked Beatrice drenched from head to toe with her wet curly hair plastered to the side of her face. It was the same image Dorothy beheld of her daughter two days ago on her birthday when she came home soak and wet from the storm outside.

The only difference this time around was her wardrobe. Beatrice was wearing a strange orange and white striped dress that stopped just a little above her knees.

Beatrice halted in the doorway and smiled at her mother. Dorothy could see the brutal rain playing behind her. “Hello, mother.”

Dorothy finally got over her immediate shock and screamed with delight before running over to her.

Leaving the door wide open, Beatrice happily ran inside and met her mother halfway.

At this moment, Dorothy could care less about the fact that her daughter just left their apartment door wide open and was looking as if she’d just emerged from a pool. She grabbed her daughter in her arms and hugged her happily. She laughed and shouted, “Beatrice! My baby!”

Beatrice hugged her back with equal affection and laughed. “I missed you.”

Soon Albert was bursting out of the master bedroom and running into the living room. He stopped just a few feet away from them. “Beatrice?” His eyes were wide with disbelief.

Beatrice pulled back from her mother and beamed at her father.

“You’re back?” he asked that question as if he couldn’t fathom it.

She wasted no time releasing her mother in order to run into Albert’s arms.

Albert swooped her up and laughed as he twirled her around. “MY GIRL IS BACK! THANK GOD!”

“Dad,” she chuckled nervously before he sat her back down on her feet.

“Where the devil have you been?” he queried.

“Um…” she smiled at him sheepishly and then looked over at her mother. “Maybe you should take mom’s Oz stories a little more seriously.”

Albert followed his daughter’s gaze and then glanced over at his wife.

Dorothy gave him a look that said, I told you so. “How was it?” she came closer and ran a hand down Beatrice’s damp hair.

Beatrice grew silent for a moment as she thought up the perfect word to describe her time in Oz but apparently several words came to mind. “Unbelievable. Magical. Enchanting. Addicting. Exhilarating.”

Dorothy laughed as her daughter went on and on.

Albert just stood there with his gaze going back and forth between the two of them. Needless to say that he was beyond speechless.

“But overall it was…”

Dorothy made an attempt to finish her sentence. “Unforgettable.”

Beatrice shook her head. “I don’t plan on forgetting it, mom. In fact, I-”

“How about you tell us more after we put you in warm clothes,” Albert suggested with concern and rubbed her wet arms.

Before he and Dorothy could lead her into her room, Beatrice stepped back. “Wait!”

Both parents stopped and stared at her curiously.

Beatrice turned to her mother and smiled thoughtfully.

“What is it, baby?” Dorothy asked. What was Beatrice up to?

“I have a surprise for you, mom.” She walked over to the front door, still opened wide, and gestured for some to come inside.

Dorothy frowned and began to approach the door too. “Who is that, Beatrice?” She gasped and stopped in her tracks when she saw Lion and Tin Man walk inside her home.

Impossible!

Tin Man and Lion? Here? Both of them were giving her beautiful smiles.

“Tin Man? Lion?” she asked with disbelief and stepped closer. After all these years, she was actually seeing them again. “Is that really you?”

“No way,” she heard her husband whisper as he flopped down on the couch with a dazed look on his face. His focus was on the two strange characters standing by the front door next to his daughter. At least now he believed her.

“Dorothy,” Lion whispered her name and grinned.

Tin Man tipped his hat up slightly as he acknowledged her with a heart-felt smile. “It’s been far too long, my beautiful flower.”

Dorothy exclaimed and ran towards them. She embraced them both at the same time.

They both hugged her back and laughed.

“I can’t believe you’re actually here!” She looked between the two of them, a big smile still on her face. “How is this possible?”

“Beatrice told us that you missed us,” Lion answered.

“And that feeling was definitely mutual. So we had to come see you.” Tin Man stated and palmed her cheek. “Time has been quite lovely to you, Dorothy.”

Dorothy laughed, grateful for the compliment. “Me? What about the two of you? You two haven’t aged at bit.” She was amazed by this fact.

“Time has a whole new meaning here than it does in Oz,” Lion shrugged.

“Oh, I’ve missed you all so much!” She wrapped an arm around each of their necks and hugged them a second time.

“Um…mom?” Beatrice’s quiet voice caught her attention.

When she looked over at her daughter, she saw Beatrice gently pulling a third person inside by their gloved hand.

Wait! Dorothy recognized that hand instantly.

Her assumption was proven correct when she saw Scarecrow walk in from the heavy rain, looking just as wet and drenched as the rest of the gang. He eyed her with vast curiosity and intensity.

Dorothy grew wide eyed and unraveled herself from her old friends to gawk at her third unexpected guest. “Scarecrow?” she said softly.

Beatrice was still holding on to his hand as she smiled from ear to ear.

“Dorothy,” he sighed. His lips curled upward into a smile of his own. He stared on as if he was in a trance. “Wow, it’s really you.”

“Oh. My. Goodness!” She approached her old friend with wonderment. She was then excitedly wrapping her arms around him.

Beatrice released Scarecrow’s hand so that he could hug her back.

Dorothy and Scarecrow both closed their eyes as they embraced. It was a very precious moment.

“I can’t believe it!” Dorothy exclaimed and pulled back to gaze at him some more. “Look at you! Oh, it’s so good to see you.” She took a quick swipe at her left cheek after a single tear rolled down it.

Scarecrow gave her a gentle but just as happy smile. “I can’t express enough how wonderful it is to finally see you again. You look beautiful as always.”

They were still holding each other at arms length as they continued to grin and examine each other.

“Oh, Scarecrow you all have always been on my mind. Albert didn’t believe me when…” Her eyes lit up as she thought about her husband. “Oh, Albert! I want you all to meet my husband.” She turned around and walked over to her husband on the couch.

He was still gawking at everyone with great bewilderment.

Dorothy helped him to his feet and hugged his left arm. “Albert, this is the Tin Man,” she pointed at each one as she said their name. “Lion, and Scarecrow. Everyone, this here is my amazing husband, Albert.”

The ganged nodded at him respectively and Albert nodded back with wide eyes, still not saying anything.

Scarecrow gave Dorothy a beautiful genuine smile as he said, “I’m glad you’re happy.” He then took a determined step forward. “Dorothy,” Scarecrow started but he seemed to be have been trying to figure out where to begin. “I want to thank you.”

“For what?” she asked him curiously.

“For being such a kind incredible friend to me when you were in Oz. You may not have realized this but you’ve taught me so much.”

Dorothy had no idea where he was going with this. But she couldn’t help but notice that Beatrice was remaining exceptionally close to him and was watching him with a lingering gaze. Dorothy knew that look very well. Beatrice was watching Scarecrow the same way Dorothy gaped at Albert every day. This made Dorothy curious, not to mention the fact that Beatrice’s new outfit making the two of them look like an official couple was another red flag. What was really going on here?

Scarecrow continued. “You’ve shown me what true friendship looks like and I can’t thank you enough for that. But more than anything, you’ve inspired me to love.”

“What do you mean?” she queried with a puzzled expression.

Scarecrow took a deep breath before he explained. “When you left Oz, I confess that I was miserable and lonely without you. But then Beatrice appeared and helped me see things so much clearer.” He glanced back at Beatrice with a look that Dorothy noticed to be gratitude and admiration before turning back to Dorothy. “I understand why you had to leave. You had to follow your heart.”

Dorothy gave him an apologetic expression “The last thing I ever wanted to do was hurt you, Scarecrow. Or any of you for that matter.” She glanced back at Lion and Tin Man with thoughtfulness. “You all meant so much to me and still do now. But my heart led me back to New York because this is my true home.”

Beatrice then stepped up to stand next to Scarecrow. “Home is where the heart is, mom.” She attached herself to Scarecrow’s arm the same way Dorothy was currently holding on to Albert. “And my heart is with Scarecrow.”

What? What did she say? She was puzzled for a moment but then her eyes had widen once realization hit. Oh. My. Goodness. Scarecrow and Beatrice were in love!

“Beatrice,” Albert finally spoke. His tone was cautious. “What’s going on here?”

Beatrice’s smile turned sheepish again. “Glinda was kind enough to let us visit you.”

Dorothy frowned at Beatrice’s choice of words. “You mean, let them visit?”

“Um…no, mom. I mean us.”

“Will someone please let me know what’s happening right now?” Albert insisted with an annoyed tone.

Beatrice removed herself from Scarecrow and came towards her parents again. So many emotions were shining through her eyes. “Mom, Dad, I love you both so much. And I really need you two to be understanding about my decision.”

Panic was engulfing her as she eyed her daughter. With hesitation, she asked, “What decision?”

Beatrice straighten her shoulders and declared, “I’m going to stay in Oz.” She paused to take in her parents’ reaction.

They both said nothing but stared at her speechlessly.

“It was unexpected but I’ve undeniably fallen in love with Scarecrow. On top of that, the people of the Emerald City have made it clear that they want me to help Scarecrow guide them. Not only do I want to be there for them but more importantly I want to be with Scarecrow because he’s where I belong.” She took hold of her mother’s shoulders. “Mom, he’s my home.”

“Oh my,” Dorothy whispered with astonishment. Beatrice was more than serious about this choice and it didn’t take Dorothy long to figure out that there would be no changing her daughter’s mind. She had to face the fact that her daughter was in love. And in love with Scarecrow. But what did this mean for the life Beatrice had here in this world?

Albert seemed to have fully recovered from his speechlessness. “Wait! You’re leaving us?”

“It’s okay, dad.” Beatrice turned to him. “This won’t be the last time you see me, I promise.”

“How often can you go back and forth between worlds?” Dorothy asked worriedly.

“I’m not sure,” she answered truthfully. “But Glinda was able to grant our wish of coming here to see you now. So I’m more than confident that I can do it again.”

“But when?” Dorothy insisted and held on to her daughter.

“Try to have faith, mom. If you believe in something strong enough, it’ll happen. You taught me that.”

“This doesn’t make any sense,” Albert stated.

“Please try to have an open mind about this, dad,” Beatrice pleaded. “I’m in love.”

“But…” He began.

Before he could finish his sentence, Dorothy placed a finger against his lips. Still looking at her daughter, she said, “I can see by that determined look in your eyes that your mind is made up.” Her tone was saddened but she was also in awe. Her daughter had matured so much in just two day’s time. “I can’t say that I’m thrilled about your decision, Beatrice, but I can say that I know a thing or two about true love. And there’s no stopping it once it’s born.”

Beatrice smiled at her parents fondly. "Thank you."

“Uh, Beatrice?” Scarecrow called her name.

When she turned back around she saw that he and Lion were taking turns oiling down Tin Man who was now completely rusted and idle in his position. “Oh no,” she frowned. “The rain rusted him out.”

Scarecrow oiled Tin Man’s right shoulder and freed his arm from the frozen position it was in before handing the oil can over to Lion so that he could do the same to Tin Man’s other shoulder. “He’ll be fine. But we should probably get him back soon though,” he said regrettably.

Beatrice turned back to her parents. “I love you both more than you can imagine.” Tears welled up in the corner of her eyes.

Dorothy was feeling sad and content all at the same time. It was a very weird feeling.

“Come here,” Albert pulled his daughter into his arms. She was still pretty wet from the rain but he obviously didn’t care. “I don’t like this,” he murmured. “I just got you back and you’re already leaving me again.”

“I promise to do everything in my power to see you as soon as I can,” she assured him. “Glinda is a phenomenal star who can illuminate even the gloomiest of situations. Just believe, okay?”

Albert kissed her forehead and sighed. “After what I’ve just seen, I’ll be sure to have more faith in the fantastical.” He then gave her a small smile. “I love you, babygirl.”

“It’s time,” Tin Man whispered thoughtfully after Lion lubricated his mouth. He seemed to be fully back to his normal self now. He was pointing out the door at the massive gust of wind swirling around just a few yards away from the apartment complex.

Like the first cyclone, this one was purposely avoiding contact with everything within its range. The tornado remained right outside Dorothy’s door like a car waiting to pick up passengers.

After more hugs and kisses and even more reluctance, Beatrice finally pulled away from her parents and gave them one last pensive smile. Those beautiful hazel eyes that she had inherited from her father were gleaming with tears.

Dorothy’s heart was aching and celebrating for her daughter. She glanced at her old gang of friends again. “Please take care of her,” she pleaded to them as Beatrice walked over to them.

“Will do,” Lion smiled at Dorothy.

“Always,” Tin Man nodded with assurance.

“Forever,” Scarecrow beamed with his focus on the lovely woman who was currently approaching him. He eyed her the way a groom would his bride as she walks down the isle towards him. He extended a hand for her to take.

“Endlessly,” she agreed as she took his outstretched hand.

Scarecrow then made eye contact with Dorothy. With a thoughtful smile, he said, “I’m so glad I got to see you again.” He then addressed Albert with, “Nice to have met you,” before looking back at Dorothy one more time. “Goodbye, Dorothy.”

Something told Dorothy that even though she would at some point be seeing Beatrice again, this was probably the final time she would ever lay eyes on her old gang. And that made her even sadder. What a happy and gloomy day this was. “Goodbye, Scarecrow…Tin Man…Lion,” she said with such tenderness.

She then felt Albert wrap his left arm around her waist in a comforting gesture. She just couldn’t thank God enough for this incredible man of hers. She knew all of this wasn’t an easy thing for him to consume but like the true man he was, Albert was enduring it.

“You will always be missed, my precious flower,” Tin Man told her with red eyes.

“Farewell, my queen,” Lion crooned softly before escorting Tin Man out the door. He kept close to him just case he might rust up again once they got outside.

“I’ll never forget you, Dorothy” said Scarecrow affectionately.

“And I you, Scarecrow,” Dorothy retorted in the same fashion.

With the hand that wasn’t holding on to Scarecrow, Beatrice waved gingerly at her parents. “Bye.” Her voice was barely over a whisper.

The sounds of pouring rain were much louder than her voice at that moment.

And then all four of them exited the apartment.

It was when Dorothy and Albert were once again alone in their medium size apartment that Dorothy realized that nothing was ever going to be the same again.

Their daughter was gone and there was no telling when they were ever going to see her again.

****

Beatrice, Scarecrow, Lion, and Tin Man were back in the pouring rain standing before the giant cyclone.

Lion and Tin Man jumped in the windstorm first. “BACK TO OZ!” Lion exclaimed as they leapt inside. Soon the two of them were out of sight.

Scarecrow faced Beatrice, who was looking back at her parents’ home. She saw them watching her from their doorway. She knew good and well that if she were to change her mind at the last minute her parents wouldn’t hesitate to welcome her back inside. She was going to miss them terribly.

“ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THIS?” Scarecrow asked her once more but he had to holler over the pounding rain and roaring wind.

She then turned to face him. Leaving her parents behind did suck a lot but to leave behind Scarecrow would have been beyond dismal. Therefore, this was a no brainer. Despite the fact that the two of them were drenched all over and in the middle of a severe storm, Beatrice was giving him a huge grin. “WHATEVER YOU DO, DON’T LET GO OF MY HAND!” she told him.

Scarecrow smiled back with an immense amount of joy and relief. She could see that he was more than ready for the two of them to start their new adventure together that would go on until the end of time.

Hand in hand, the smiling couple then jumped into the giant whirlwind so that they once more could return to Oz.

End Notes:

I can't thank you all enough for following this story. An alternate ending is in production and will be posted asap. I hope you all have enjoyed reading this adventure as much as I have enjoyed bringing it to life. Thank you!

Alternate Ending!!! by DareToDream
Author's Notes:

This has been long overdue but here it is finally!!! A second ending for the story that I couldn't seem to shake from my mind. Let me know which ending you think is the best :) Enjoy!

Beatrice looked around the lobby at the crowd, then at Miss One and Tristian, and then at Herman, Lion, Tin Man before stopping her gaze on Scarecrow.

Scarecrow was looking nervous and anxious as he met her gaze.

“So what happens now?” Beatrice asked Glinda when she turned her stare back on her. “Am I meant to stay here in Oz? Is this my purpose?”

Now it seemed as if everyone was holding their breath as they waited for the response.

Glinda answered patiently, “I’m afraid I can’t decide that for you.”

Beatrice frowned. “What do you mean?”

“No one can tell you what to do with your life, Beatrice. You decide what you live for.”

That’s exactly what Beatrice just told everyone a few minutes ago about having a ruler. She then gasped with excitement. “You mean if I wish it, I can stay?”

“Yes, but keep in mind, my dear child, that no matter what you choose, there’s a sacrifice you’ll have to make.”

Beatrice’s smile faded. “Is there any way around it?” Her voice was hopeful.

Glinda shook her head sympathetically. “I’m afraid not. With love comes big sacrifices.”

Beatrice’s heart dropped.

“Beatrice,” Scarecrow called her after a moment. When she turned around to face him, he cupped her face. His eyes were saddened but he smiled at her anyways. “It’s okay. You don’t have to stay to prove that you love me.”

“Scarecrow?” She was bewildered. What was he saying?

“I already know how you feel. And it’s not fair to pressure you. So for that, I’m sorry,” he crooned genuinely.

Her heart felt even heavier than before. “Scarecrow, don’t-”

“Go home, Beatrice.”

Ouch! That had hurt her down to her core.

“I’m not going to make you choose.”

Beatrice took a step back in disbelief. “You’re…sending me away?” A tear had fallen down her cheek.

That seemed to have been Scarecrow’s undoing because his eyes were now watering up too. His took his thumb and swiped at her fallen teardrop. “Please, don’t cry.”

“I…” Beatrice had to get her emotions under control. Otherwise, she was just going to turn into a sobbing mess. “I…thought you wanted me to stay with you.”

“Of course I do,” he breathed. His own tears were finally making their debut. “But more than anything, I crave your happiness. Staying here away from your family would mean a form of heartbreak for you.” He took a deep breath before he continued on. “I couldn’t live with myself if I knew that I was the cause of your pain.”

“But you don’t cause me pain, Scarecrow,” she told him quickly, wrapping her arms around his neck. “You make me feel more alive than I’ve ever felt before.”

Scarecrow put his right gloved hand between them in order to palm her heart. “But there will be moments that you’ll feel empty in here.” He looked down at her heart, which was what he was referring to. “Because there will always be something missing from your life. And that’s your family, Beatrice.” Reluctantly, he unwrapped her arms from around his neck.

“But…” she croaked.

He then gave her a small chuckle, despite his sadness. “Besides, what would Dorothy think of me if I kept her daughter away from her?”

“I don’t want to leave you,” she sulked and then looked around at the hundreds of other sad faces surrounding her. “Any of you.”

“Then don’t,” cried Little Tristian with pouted lips. His half purple face was accessorized by tears as well. Miss One was maternally palming his left shoulder as she stood beside him.

“You’ll want to add on to your family one day, Beatrice.” Scarecrow sounded as if he was holding back a sob. “You’ll want to get married and have children.” He gestured at himself helplessly before saying, “What kind of family can you have with a Scarecrow?”

Now Beatrice was really crying. What he was saying was very much true but what Scarecrow didn’t realize was that he had already given her a family. Every munchkin, flying monkey, witch, yellow bikini wearer, crow, and Emerald city resident was now a part of her extended family.

But Beatrice could see that Scarecrow’s mind was made up. No matter how much she would try to argue with him, there would be no changing of his mind.

“Please don’t do this,” she whispered. Several tears were on display.

“I love you, Beatrice. Which is why I have to do what’s right by you.”

Beatrice swallowed back more sobs. Scarecrow had made his decision and she had to respect it. It was now killing her just to even look at him so she diverted her eyes to stare at the ground as she cried silently.

After a moment she turned around to look at Glinda, whose gaze was holding extreme sympathy. “Will I ever be able to come back?”

“Only a rare few are ever able to enter into the world of Oz. And the few who do make it, only arrive to serve a special purpose. And once that purpose is completed, it’s hard to say if they’ll ever be able gain access here again.”

That was SO not what Beatrice wanted to hear. Feeling even more miserable, she turned back to face Scarecrow but still couldn’t look at his face and brought her attention back to her feet. “That means I may never see you again,” she whispered.

“Miss Beatrice?” Tristian had stepped toward her.

She turned to face him and wiped her eyes before trying to smile at him through her tears. She kneeled so that they were at eye level.

“Please, don’t go. I know Mr. Scarecrow really doesn’t want you to leave. Right, Mr. Scarecrow?” Tristian glanced over at Scarecrow with a pleading look in his eyes.

Scarecrow exhaled and hung his head but didn’t answer him.

Beatrice wiped at Tristian’s tears. “I’m afraid I don’t have a choice.” Especially since Scarecrow made the choice for me, she thought to herself. “Besides, he’s right, Tristian. I have a family and a whole other life back in New York waiting for my return.” Despite the fact that it wasn’t nearly as exciting as Oz, it was still where her family dwelt. “Wherever my family is, that’s where my home should be.”

Tristian then hung his head low with disappointment.

Beatrice leaned in and kissed his forehead affectionately. “I’m going to miss you so much.” She then turned her attention down at the FlyMam sitting at her heels. “Come here, Storm.” She picked him up and cuddled him in her arms one final time, which triggered even more tears from her. “Try not to live up to your name so much, while I’m gone,” she told him before kissing the top of his head.

Storm purred against her affectionately and snuggled deeper into her embrace. He must have been sensing her despair and was trying to console her.

Beatrice finally passed him over to Tristian but it was with great reluctance. “Keep him out of trouble for me, will you?”

Tristian nodded once before taking the FlyMam away from her. “Goodbye, Miss Beatrice.”

She rubbed Tristian’s head tenderly before rising up from her kneeling position. She looked around the crowd and said, “Goodbye, everyone.”

Everyone bowed at her with appreciation and respect. Rolin seemed to have been the one speaking on everyone’s behalf when he told her, “You’ve given us all our lives back and so much more, Beatrice. Therefore, your name will always be known here.” He smiled at her with gentleness.

Beatrice returned the expression back to him and then to everyone else. Her gaze then landed on Miss One, who had her arms out for a hug. Beatrice stepped into it without hesitation.

“I’m so proud you, dear,” the gentle witch said as she rubbed her back. “Try not to be too upset with Scarecrow. He’s only trying to make you happy.”

Then why am I feeling so lousy, she silently thought. “Thank you for everything, Miss One.”

After hugging her, she moved over to Herman, who was standing off with his hands inside his robe pocket.

Beatrice approached him with a smile and wet eyes. “You were amazing today, Mr. Smith.”

He smiled modestly. “I should be telling you that.”

Beatrice laughed.

“And friends call me Herman, by the way. Well…they would if I had any friends,” he spoke somberly.

“You do have friends, Herman,” she assured him while gesturing at everyone around them. “Just keep showing people the real you and then you’ll have friends for life.”

“You’re an incredible woman, Beatrice.” He gave her a genuine expression as he brought the back of her left palm to his lips for a kiss. “Farewell.”

She smiled sweetly at him before moving down the line to Tin Man. Before he could say anything to her, Beatrice had jumped up to wrap her arms around his neck.

Without hesitation, he hugged her back lovingly. “You are a remarkable flower, my dear. Never stop blossoming.”

Beatrice pulled back some so she could see his face.

Tin Man’s eyes were red from crying but the smile he gave her had found a way to warm her heart. “And don’t give up on love.” He then whispered. “I believe that if it’s meant to be then it will be.”

She tried to fight back more tears with an unconvincing smile. “I guess we’re just not meant to be then,” she whispered back. After regaining her composure, she finally said, “Take care of yourself, Tin Man.”

Moving on, she was now in front of Lion.

Lion cleared his throat before he told her, “Oz just won’t be the same without you, Beatrice. And you were just getting to the point where you could finally tolerate me.”

They both laughed and so did a few others in the crowd.

Beatrice gently caressed his curly mane. “Believe it or not, you’ve actually taught me something during my time here, Lion.”

He looked surprised by that confession. “What’s that?” he asked curiously.

“You taught me that having courage doesn’t mean to be fearless. It means that despite your fear you still do what needs to be done. You’re the bravest soul I know, Lion.”

They reached for each other at the same time for a parting hug.

Oh so slowly did Beatrice turn around to face Scarecrow. One…Last…Time.

For a good while, the two of them just stared at each other.

Scarecrow was the first one to make a move. He took one step towards her but then Beatrice ran at him.

Once they were within reach of one another, quickly her lips found his.

Their kiss was beyond passionate as it held love, sadness, desperation, frustration, and the unsaid goodbye.

When they finally pulled apart, they remained nose to nose, not ready to let go of one another.

“No matter where you are,” Scarecrow breathed. “You will always feel like mine. No amount of time or distance can stop the flame of true love once it’s been kindled.”

Beatrice blinked at him with amazement. “Scarecrow that was beautiful. Who said that?”

Scarecrow sighed and pressed his forehead against hers. “I did.”

That made her cry even more.

“Beatrice, are you ready?” Glinda’s patient voice called out to her after giving the two of them just a moment to hold each other for a little while longer.

Beatrice closed her eyes, knowing that she had put off the inevitable long enough.

It was time.

She took a deep breath and pulled herself away from the one she loved. “Not really but this is as ready as I’ll ever be.”

“Think of home,” Glinda crooned to her as her babies floating in the background gently hummed a beautiful melody.

Beatrice glanced back at Scarecrow and said, “I already am.”

Suddenly the view she was holding of Scarecrow and everyone else behind him was beginning to become foggy as a strong gust of wind started to surround her. The view of them seemed to be getting further and further away from her. She understood that this was a clear sign that she was finally leaving.

The last thing she saw was Scarecrow raising his hand to wave at her weakly—tears shamelessly falling down his cheeks—while Storm had hopped out of Tristian’s arms to start charging after Beatrice full speed.

That sight had really broke her heart because the entire scene had faded away completely before Storm could even catch up to her.

Storm was gone.

Scarecrow was gone.

And Oz was now just a memory.

***
(One Month Later)

It was almost four o’clock in the evening on a Saturday and Beatrice was still in bed.

Dorothy crept into her room and sat on the edge of her bed. “Beatrice?”

She wasn’t asleep but remained silent anyways. She hardly ever felt like talking lately.

The covers were over her head until Dorothy decided to pull them down. “You’ve been in bed all day, baby.”

It’s pretty much been like this since Beatrice came back. She would only get out of bed to go to work five days out of the week and then come right back to bed with hardly any food in her system.

“Come out to dinner with me and your father.”

“Not hungry,” Beatrice mumbled.

“I know you miss him, baby but you can’t just stay in your room just missing out on life.”

Scarecrow was my life, Beatrice said mentally.

“Things will come around for you. Give it time.” Dorothy tenderly smoothed back some of her daughter’s wild curls.

Her hair was a little more intense than usual since she hadn’t been trying to keep herself up lately.

“Even though you’ve been back for a while, your father and I feel like we’ve barely seen you. Won’t you come out to eat with us tonight? We’ll make it fun like we use to.” Dorothy gave Beatrice and pleading and hopeful smile.

Not wanting to crush her mother’s spirits, Beatrice reluctantly nodded. Lord knew all she wanted to do was just lay in bed and dream about the one person she could never have.

Dorothy leaned towards her and kissed her forehead. “Go on and take a shower and get dress.” She rose from the bed in order to give her daughter some privacy. “Oh and when you’re done,” she turned back around to face Beatrice who hadn’t moved from her spot on her bed. “Go on and fetch the mail for us, will you? You can use the fresh air.”

Once her mother was gone, she dragged herself out of bed and did what she was told.

Half an hour later, Beatrice was outside standing in front of the apartment complex’s mailbox station fully dressed in a red sleeveless blouse and blue jeans.

She was currently the only resident around. Perhaps the other neighbors had gotten their mail earlier.

The sun was extremely bright and it was really beginning to annoy her because it was the total opposite of her dark depressing room. The happy weather seemed to have been making fun of her bitter mood and she was not laughing.

Her face was scrunched up as she went through the mail, not looking for anything in particular but just looking. It was way too darn bright out here!

She then noticed in her peripheral vision someone just staring at her. She peered over to her left to show them that they had been caught staring in hopes to get them to look away.

Unfortunately, her plan didn’t work.

A young man with brown skin the color of milk chocolate and a very large afro was standing on the sidewalk a good ten feet away from her and pinning her down with a focused look.

His hard core stare had her feeling something she hadn’t felt in almost a month. Not since she left….him.

Why was he staring at her like that? Did he have a problem? To make things even stranger, Beatrice’s intuition told her that she knew him but she was more than certain that she had never laid eyes on this guy before.

She raised her eyebrows at him expectantly. “Can I help you?”

His lips curled up into a beautiful smile as he said delicately, “Yes.”

Beatrice stilled and gasped quietly. That voice. She knew that voice. This strange man now had her full attention. She turned her whole body to face him. “What can I help you with, sir?”

He stepped closer but Beatrice didn’t move. Her feet were practically rooted in their spot. “I’m looking for someone.” He was giving her a knowing smile.

As he came closer, Beatrice was able to get a better look at his eyes. She had definitely seen those big doe eyes before. Her heart was beginning to beat wildly. “W-Who are you looking for?”

The man was wearing a red and white patterned button down collar shirt and white pants, looking so neat and extremely handsome.

But it was more than just that which had her currently experiencing an emotional roller coaster.

He stopped approaching her when he was just a foot away from her. Still wearing that breathtaking smile, he told her, “My home.”

Beatrice instantly dropped the mail that was in her hands as she gawked at him. “Scarecrow?!!!” she shouted with disbelief.

He answered her with a beautiful laugh.

Beatrice was pretty sure that her jaw was about to start scraping the ground. She had surpassed astonishment. “Scarecrow!!! Is that really you?”

“I’ve missed you so much,” he sighed with relief.

“Oh my goodness!!!” She covered her mouth with her right hand, not taking her eyes off him.

Scarecrow looked down at himself before gazing back up at her with excitement dancing in his eyes. “I a man now, Beatrice.”

“H-How did you…When did you…” Complete sentences were just out of the question right now.

“Glinda was kind enough to grant me one wish for saving the Emerald City.”

After a few moments of processing his new appearance, a big smile was beginning to form on Beatrice’s shocked face. “And you wished to turn human?”

Scarecrow shook his head. “No, I wished to be able to spend the rest of my life with you, no matter where that may be.”

Tears had suddenly started running down her cheek as she beamed at him. “I don’t believe it,” she whispered. She then stepped closer to him and began tracing his face.

It no longer felt like a paper sack stuffed with hay. That was real smooth human skin she was touching. Glinda had really done it.

Finally, Beatrice jumped into his arms, happily wrapping her arms and legs around him. “SCARECROW!!!” she cheered.

They both laughed as he twirled them around.

She kept her arms tightly around his neck, never wanting to ever let him go. When he sat her back on her feet, she was still gazing at him with wonderment. “What about being the leader of the munchkins and people of the Emerald City?”

“I nominated Tin Man and Lion.”

Beatrice frowned. “Won’t you miss them though?”

Scarecrow took her chin between his thumb and index finger. No more white gloves. His hands were visible and felt so delightfully…real! “The lost I feel for them is no comparison to the lost I felt for you, since the first day you’ve been away from me, Beatrice.” His looked turned somewhat saddened as he recalled the memory. “I don’t ever want to go through that again.”

“Me either,” she told him. “I’ve been lost and miserable without you.” She palmed his cheek. “Tin Man was right. If the love is meant to be then it will be.”

Scarecrow grinned at her, which was a beautiful indication that he agreed.

Just as they were closing in for a kiss, Beatrice became distracted by a familiar loud squeal.

Looking over Scarecrow’s shoulder, she noticed a red and black small furry animal running towards them full speed. He was like sixty percent different but Beatrice recognized him immediately.

“Storm!!!” she exclaimed and kneeled so that he could jump in her arms.

He leapt towards her and began purring in that cute way of his once she was hugging on to him tightly.

“Oh, Storm!!! I missed you like crazy.” She started to examine him. “You’re wings are gone.” He was no longer a FlyMam but now appeared to be a full fledge red panda, but he was still just as cute as before.

“He grew sick without you,” Scarecrow told her.

Beatrice frowned at her pet with worry. “Really?”

“FlyMams choose who they belong to,” Scarecrow reminded her as he smiled at them. “And that bond is for life.” He extended his hand to help her off the ground. “Just like mine is with you.”

She took his hand with her free hand, still holding on to Storm with the other.

When she was fully upright, Scarecrow pulled her so close they were chest to chest. “I’m going to love you forever, Beatrice.”

“Kiss me,” she demanded softly.

Cupping her face, he leaned towards her and gently pressed his human lips against hers.

That one radiant kiss was just the beginning for them.

When their lips parted barely an inch, Beatrice beamed against him as she whispered, “There’s no place like home.”

End Notes:

Well this is officially it. The story is now complete. Now, I would really like to know which ending you thought was the best fitting one for this story.

Special shout out to all my faithful readers and reviews, including my silent readers as well:

appleheadlover10

BlueJayWay
champion3234
CoconutDevon14
Creole_hunni
daridari14

glitterpix


ilovemichaeljackson34
KaraBeloved
LiberianGirl829
LouieLlama
MichaelsAngel2921


midnightlover1997
MJfreak23

Mjlifemate58
mjjlover1120
mollymomo


myradoll
nymartian
thelifer

TutThreeSevens
veronica_159

 

Human Scarecrow thanks you a million lol

This story archived at http://www.mjfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=6762