The Gift by midnight musings
Summary:

A one shot story where Michael gets what his heart truly desires


Categories: Family, Fantasy Characters: Original Girl
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1472 Read: 1612 Published: Jul 17, 2010 Updated: Jul 17, 2010

1. The Gift by midnight musings

The Gift by midnight musings

The Gift

I'll never forget the day my life changed forever. It was a cold February morning and everyone, in the village I was hiding out in, was in a cheerful spirit. Valentine's Day was just around the corner and this close-knit community celebrated it with many festivities. There was a belief in this village that on Valentine's Day a special angel came and granted the most unhappy person his deepest desire. I, however, was feeling anxious and restless. I couldn't bring myself to be part of the cheery atmosphere nor did I believe that any such angel existed. I decided to take a walk in the nearby woods.

I missed my young children and ached for the loss and pain I knew they felt, believing that I was dead. Everyday, for the previous eight months I saw myself as a cruel monster causing such grief to the three people I loved even more than I loved myself. Yes, I was aware that my mother, brothers, sisters and even my father, missed me and grieved for me. But honestly, the only people I was concerned about were Prince, Paris and Blanket. They have been my source of joy, love and comfort from the time they were born. I'd do anything for them. I went into hiding, pretending I was dead, for them. I was forced into it. There wasn't anything I could do about it. But how I missed them! I missed the sight of their sleepy faces in the morning, sounds of their pattering feet, joyful and loud chatter, their innocent smiles and trusting eyes. I missed all the mischief they would get upto. At night, I dreamed of no one but them. I wanted to hold them and be near them so badly that it ached.

Lost in these thoughts I walked deeper into the woods, forgetting to pay attention to the path I was taking. Before I knew it, I found myself facing a pond I had never seen before. And sitting there on the bank was a woman. Her raven tresses cascaded down her back in thick loose curls. I cleared my throat in an attempt to make her aware of my presence but there was no response. She seemed lost in a reverie. So I walked up to her and tapping her gently on her shoulder said, "Excuse me." She turned around and looked at me. A smile touched the corners of her mouth and she didn't seem startled or surprised to see me in this lonely place.
"Yes?" she asked politely.
"I am kinda lost. Are you familiar with these woods?" I asked her. She nodded.  "I need to get back to my house. It's on the outskirts of the village that borders this forest. Would you be able to lead me there?"
She nodded once again and said, "I'm Irina. Sit for a while. I'll lead you back in some time."
I sat near her, my back resting against a tree. She did not ask me my name, nor did I tell it to her. While she turned her gaze back to the pond, I sat observing her. She had a youthful face with flawless skin. You could not call her beautiful, but there was something very appealing about her. The most arresting feature of her face were her eyes. They were a shade of violet and seemed to be filled with the wisdom of centuries. There was something almost otherworldly about her. How long we sat in silence I do not know. It seemed like minutes and it seemed like days.

"Your eyes tell a tale of grief and loneliness, but I also see that you are wrapped in love," she said suddenly looking at me. "Why are you sad?"
Something about the look in her face and the way she asked me the question, compelled me to answer her. I found myself telling this strange woman the story of my life and my orchestrated death. I must have spoken for hours. She took it all in silently, not once saying a word.  When I stopped, I found my face wet with tears.
"What is your deepest desire Michael?" she asked quietly. I did not tell her my name was Michael. But I wasn't surprised when I heard her say my name. I felt she knew me better than I knew myself. I responded to her question saying, " My deepest desire... It is to be with my children. Live a normal life and to see them live a life of normalcy. I want them to be able to walk around without masks, unafraid of being mobbed by people who want to see me and want to have a piece of me and my children. I want them to be free of the fears that hound me and I want both them and me to be able to live a life that is  free of paparazzi and tabloids."
"If you go back, the attention upon you will be a million fold," she replied.
"I want to be dead to the paparazzi, to the media. In an ideal world, I'd only want my children and the people I love to know of my existence. Do you know what I mean?" She nodded.
"Come, I'll lead you to your house." Saying this she stood up and holding my hand lead me back to the house I was staying at. On the way I found out that she wasn't from around here. She did not even live in the vicinity. She said she was from a place far away. When we reached the house I invited her in, she refused but just as she was leaving, she turned around and said, "Michael, if you really want it your wishes will come true. Think about it.
I'll come back on the 14th and if you still want the same thing, it will be yours." Saying this she disappeared. Had I imagined the whole thing? She was right next to me a moment ago and suddenly she wasn't. I began to think I was hallucinating. Yes, I did love magic but I had never really believed that magic in its truest sense existed. I tried to put the thoughts out of my head but all I could think of was the conversation I had. It really was my deepest desire to be with my children and live a normal life.

I wondered if she would return on the 14th. "Maybe that angel story is true," I thought to myself wryly. The week passed by like all the other weeks in the past month. Only this time, I had a feeling of hope. Though I tried not to think about it too much, Irina's words kept coming back to me. Finally it was the 14th of February. I had hardly slept all night. As I walked into the kitchen to grab a cup of tea, I found myself looking at Irina. Her violet eyes piercing mine and an angelic smile once again touching the corners of her mouth.
"Have you decided?" she asked.
"Yes," I replied, "that is the deepest desire of my heart."
"Your fame will be restricted to what it was before you died. You will not be recognized by anyone other than the ones you truly love and those who truly love you. Your fans will not recognize you on the streets,even if you tell them who you are no one will believe you. Are you ready to live a life where you will not be recognized the way you were a few months ago?"
"Yes, I don't care about that anymore. As long as I am with my children and have their love, I'll be happy."
"Close your eyes then Michael and silently make your wish."

I did exactly what she told me to do. Nothing happened. There was a deep silence within me and I felt like I was enveloped in silence and serenity. After what felt like ages I felt a soft, small palm holding my hand and a sleepy voice saying,"Daddy? Is that you?" I opened my eyes, my heart pounding with excitement, hardly daring to believe my wish had actually come true. I was at Hayvenhurst and my youngest was looking at me with wonder in his eyes! I couldn't have been happier. Soon I woke up the older two children. They were shocked but thrilled to see me. I had a lot of explaining to do. And I had all the time in the world to do that.

It has been five years since that Valentine's Day when I received the most wonderful gift a man could ever receive. My children are happy and healthy. No one recognizes me anymore. I can walk the streets without being mobbed, my kids are leading a life of normalcy. And now, I do believe in miracles, angels and wishes coming true.

This story archived at http://www.mjfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=90