[Reviews - 58] starstarstarstarstarPrinter
Summary:

cat·fish

'kat';fiSH

1.

fish for catfish.

"with the Mississippi River far below its normal level, the catfishing kept getting better and better"

2.

US - informal

lure (someone) into a relationship by means of a fictional online persona.

"she was being catfished by a cruel prankster"

______________________________________

In recent years, online dating has become the latest trend in finding committed relationships. The success rate of these happy couples has stirred the interest of single career woman Jasmine Dimes, a senior graphic designer who spends a fair chunk of her free time browsing the internet doing everything from visiting forums, chatting, and dabbling a bit into the online dating scene.

She connects with a striking older man named Damien who shows to be a compatible match on a dating site. Sweet, charming, and incredibly attractive, the two hit it off through multiple emails and late night instant chats. Finally! Her Mr. Right was here! Except for the small fact that they aren't actually dating. Or at least he hasn't asked her and vice versa. Despite the sparks, their arrangement was seen as a close friendship developed over the internet. A friendship that hints at the possibilities of something more.

But when Damien announces his plans to visit the city, Jasmine starts gearing up for an opportunity to finally see if those sparks fly in person just as heavily as they do online. Despite the criticism by her friend, she sets out and arranges the meeting to see where things lead.

There's just one slight problem ... he never shows up. Not once, not twice, but a constant string of excuses that leaves her wondering if this is even real. Something always comes up where she's left hanging dry. Where is Damien? Is he real or is this some game? It's now uncertain if she should be concerned or simply angry.

And why is it that Michael Jackson, the worldwide renown pop musician who happens to be visiting the city, seems to always be somewhere around or mentioned to be within the vicinity of their intended meeting spot?

Probably just a coincidence.

... Right?


Rated: T
Categories: Humor, Mystery, Romance, Suspense Characters: Michael, Original Girl
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No
Word count: 13776 Read: 12458
Published: Jan 27, 2015 Updated: Nov 17, 2023
Story Notes:

Catfish:

A catfish is someone who pretends to be someone they're not using Facebook or other social media to create false identities, particularly to pursue deceptive online romances.

1. Prologue - "Connecting" by Pleione [Reviews - 11] starstarstarstarstar (1830 words)

Catfish are a popular fish to catch for a number of reasons. Catfish are plentiful and can be found in just about any water conditions. Also, catfish can grow fairly large.

 “...there's some good fish back there.” — MJ

2. Chapter 2 - "Viral" by Pleione [Reviews - 6] starstarstarstarstar (2322 words)

Tips for Online Dating: "No matter how much of an expert you’ve become at reading profiles, and no matter how well this girl or guy corresponds to your dream match, there’s still a lot you won’t be able to glean until you sit across from him or her at a coffee shop." — Mashable.

3. Chapter 3 - "Chatroom" by Pleione [Reviews - 8] starstarstarstarstar (2365 words)

One night a baby fish was sleeping under some coral when God appeared to him in a dream. "I want you to go forth with a message to all the fish in the sea," God said. "What should I tell them?" the little fish asked. "Just tell them you're thirsty," God replied. "And see what they do." Then without another word, He disappeared. — MJ / DANCING THE DREAM 

4. Chapter 4 - "Reload" by Pleione [Reviews - 8] starstarstarstarhalf-star (2475 words)

“I am not eccentric. It's just that I am more alive than most people. I am an unpopular electric eel set in a pond of catfish.” 
—Edith Sitwell

5. Chapter 5 - "e-Match" by Pleione [Reviews - 8] starstarstarstarstar (3772 words)

Beard said: "He just wanted to turn off that fame. He told me 'I just want to be able to walk into a bar and have a beer. I want to go to the grocery store with the kids.' He was just fighting to be normal."— Remember the Time, Protecting Michael Jackson in his Final Days

6. Updating Soon. by Pleione [Reviews - 10] starstarstarstarstar (126 words)

Just a quick update.

7. To continue? by Pleione [Reviews - 6] starstarstarstarstar (301 words)

Do I continue this story?

8. Chapter 6 - "Voice Chat" by Pleione [Reviews - 1] starstarstarstarstar (585 words)

 "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."