- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Enjoy!
Alex scrutinized herself in her aunt's vanity mirror with her dainty hands twisting her dark almond hair into a loose ponytail, causing her bracelets to lightly clank together. She stared with repugnance at the structure of her heart-shaped face, the one that was marred with healing scars and hideous to those higher than her class. To Alex, she would often think that her appearance only grew more and more worse as each day passed her by, not because she was aging but because it was all Michael would ever talk about, how ugly she looked, that is. Though most people told her not to worry about her appearance, Alex had plenty of reason to.

She proceeded to stare with an impassive look in her eye, soon contemplating that her appearance fit to her content. She sauntered gracefully out of the bedroom out into the hallway where her aunt was awaiting her arrival with a camera ready to snap yet another picture.

"Please, Aunt Becky," Alex pleaded in vain, "No more pictures."

"But this is such a memorable event, Alex," Becky remarked, "This is your first dance at Charington. You should be wanting to take pictures."

"Not in this," Alex murmured sheepishly as she glanced down in disgust at her semi-formal attire which consisted of a simple white blouse and a black pleated skirt. She looked as if she were more of a schoolgirl rather than a saucy teen on her way to the annual Winter Dance.

Unfortunately for Alex, her budget couldn't afford dresses that would be of acceptation of the academy. So, instead of attempting to make her own dress for an event that wouldn't matter ten years from now, she decided to just role-play as the plain "commoner" she upheld during her stay at the academy. They wouldn't look at her any different than they usually did.

"But you still look pretty," Becky remarked somewhat timidly.

Alex grimaced, It's bad enough that you want to take pictures of me but you don't have to go as far as to lying to me.

"Thanks..." she murmured unceremoniously.

For lowering my self-esteem by complimenting me...

Alex sighed, "Well, I'm leaving and when I get back, you better be resting in bed, auntie. I don't want you waiting up for me."

Becky felt as if she were the child instead of the adult and she smiled pleasantly at the thought of Alex as a mother. She knew she would do a wonderful job playing that role.

"I will, sweetie. You take care now too, ya hear? I want you to come back home happy."

Alex merely shrugged, "We'll see..."


Dozens of students were streaming into the school building by the time Alex got there, the young ladies donned in elegant, sleeveless dresses and the fine gentlemen clad in tailored suits. Most were dropped off in glistening limousines whilst others drove their own vehicles (most of them being Italian sport cars). Alex joined a crowd heading down the school's main hall that led them to the mess hall.

A handful of both parents and teachers were lined up in the hallway to make certain that no trouble would go on during the dance. That made Alex feel a sense of protection from them, considering the fact that she still felt suspicious towards Michael's lack of brutality lately.

She had tried to sum up reasons why he would help her in her time of desperation. Maybe he had actually grown tired of beating up on her or maybe he actually wanted to help her out. Maybe he even actually learned a few useful human qualities that humans were supposed to naturally have.

Or maybe he heard about me helping him...

Alex could feel the rhythmic thumping of loud music growing stronger and stronger as she neared the cafeteria. She could feel the beat vibrating in her chest and stomach. She hadn't been at a dance for so long that she had almost forgotten the odd sensations she felt whenever she attended one.

The room was rapidly filling with students. All the lunch tables had been cleared away to provide space for the dance floor and graceful decorations such as snowflakes hung from the ceiling. Every moment or so, more students arrived in their formal attire and Alex recognized several of them from her classes, one face in particular that stood out from the rest...

"Monica!" Alex exclaimed.

Monica came waltzing towards her dressed in a black satin dress that accented her feminine curves and the boy that she had brought along with her was just as equally beautiful and oddly familiar to Alex.

"Bruno?" Alex questioned as the couple drew closer to her.

"You know, Bruno?" Monica asked exchanging looks with her companion.

Before Alex could reply, Bruno instantly cut in, "We met each other once."

Not only have we met each other but he saved my life!

Alex exchanged puzzled looks with Bruno and he winked at her, giving her a look that said "That's all she needs to know". Alex stared at him for a moment longer but soon enough nodded in agreement with him.

"You look great, Alex," Monica complimented.

"Not as great as you. You're actually dressed formal." Alex peered sheepishly about the room as she finally realized just how much of an "oddball" she really was compared to the other students.

Aren't I always?

"Gee, thanks, Alex. Where's your date?" Alex's heart raced, "Don't tell me no one asked you out."

Alex bit down on her lip, "Well-?!"

"Those jerks!"

"It's nothing, Monica."

"It is something, Alex!" she shot back, "Those boys have absolutely no taste in girls!"

Alex rolled her eyes and laughed. Monica could be such a drama queen sometimes.

"I'm fine, Monica. Really," she assured, "I'd rather be alone tonight anyway."

It was a lie but she didn't want to have to cause Monica to worry just because things didn't go out as the way she planned. That was a selfish thing to do.

Before Monica could continue her enraged rambling, Tatiana came rushing up to them, gleefully greeting them with tight hugs and air kisses. Alex wasn't quite used to this sort of affection so decided to (awkwardly) stand there in silence until she was finished.

"Hey, guys!" she greeted (as if the first scenario wasn't greeting enough).

"Hey, Tatiana," Monica greeted back, having completely forgotten about Alex's dateless problem.

"Why so happy?" Alex asked giving her wrinkled top small adjustments.

"Because I'm single and proud!" she shouted proudly and several students surrounding them glanced into their direction, "I can dance with any person I want tonight all because I dumped Michael. I'm free of him!"

"Well, that's good for you," Monica said grinning.

"Yeah. That's awesome..."

It's great that she broke up with Michael and all but dancing with any other guy in the room? Sounds like a faithful wife, doesn't she fellas?

Absentmindedly, Alex began to search for Michael through the swaying crowd, oblivious to the fact that her friends were staring questioningly at her.

"Looking for someone?" Tatiana asked raising a thin brow.

Alex jolted in surprise, "What? Oh. I was just looking for the, um..." she paused briefly, "... The drinks..."

"It's on the other side of the crowd near the front," Bruno replied.

Alex smiled and nodded, looking uncertain with her choice of words as she awkwardly stepped away from the group. She still remained oblivious to the questioning stares following her as she walked off.

As she paid for a drink, Alex suddenly realized that it was the first time in months that she was using money that she wasn't going to give to Michael. She imagined the smirk that Michael always gave her each time she had given him the pleasure of him seeing her in pain. She wished she would never have to see that stupid smirk again or at least erase the countless memories of ever seeing it.

She instinctively snatched the soda can out of the volunteer's hand and had completely forgotten about her change, leaving the man slightly puzzled and offended. She carelessly tossed the soda can into a nearby trash bin and startled those who would have appreciated to drink from the can.

The cafeteria continued to fill up with more elated students. So many people had arrived that it was almost impossible to make out the faces in the crowd, including the faces that Alex desperately wanted to see.

Shrugging, she decided to sit at one of the empty tables pushed up against the wall. She had already seen this coming: coming to the dance, have a few laughs with her friends and end up being alone for the rest of the night. It was what happened to her everyday and tonight was no exception. But unlike what happened to her everyday, Michael wasn't there to make it worse.

Finally!

She noticed that the music had softened to a slow tempo and people were beginning to pair up into couples. Alex sighed, knowing that she wouldn't be one of the fortunates that would be able to dance with a beloved.

"Would you like to dance?"

Alex remained still, figuring that the voice was speaking to someone that wasn't herself but once the voice asked the same question in a more anxious tone, her head perked up in surprise and out in front of her was a visibly trembling hand and a crooked smile that could only mean that the owner of the smile was nervous.

"Nelson?" she questioned.

"Yeah," he stammered, "I-I was w-wondering if you would l-like to dance with me?"

Feeling butterflies flutter in her stomach, Alex accepted his hand and was surprised that it was warm, despite it's dampness.

Nelson shakily escorted her to the outskirts of the dance floor where he pulled her closer to his body, looping his arms around her middle and placing his hands on the small of her back. Alex timidly wrapped her own arms around Nelson's neck and she was slightly started to feel the tiny hairs on the nape of his neck stand straight up. She felt slightly embarrassed that she could feel his goosebumps growing. He must have noticed because he began to blush too.

"Thank you," Alex whispered.

"For what?"

"For making my night worthwhile."

Nelson blushed harder, "Anytime, Alex."

Alex truly didn't want this to end. It had been so long since she had last been in such a comforting embrace. And it had been so long since she had last slow-danced with a boy (her last time being in the third grade when one of her classmates dared her to dance with a fifth grader that was "out of her league"). She hoped that the song would last forever but all things must eventually come to an end.

And unfortunately, that end had came all too quick.

One of Michael's friends was standing near the edge of the crowd and he was watching them, a tight-lipped grin plastered on his face, a grin that could only mean trouble.

Oh no!

Alex knew that if he was around, Michael had to be lurking within the room somewhere. She wasn't sure what to do. She didn't want to tell Nelson that she was afraid but she also didn't want Nelson getting embarrassed because he was dancing with a commoner. Fortunately, the slow song was drifting to an end and an upbeat song came bursting out of the stereos.

"Nelson, I'll be right back," Alex said as she reluctantly pulled away from him.

"Wait. Where are you going?" he asked. She could tell by the look on his face that he was hopelessly confused.

I have to protect you.

"I gotta go to the bathroom," she replied hastily and she rushed off to where she would be able to protect herself from harm.


Michael watched in slight amusement as he watched Alex hurriedly make her way down the school hallway. He couldn't wait to see the look of pain on her face when she saw him but something made him no longer wanting to dwell on such thoughts, something about the way she looked that night, her attire, her features.

She looks so pretty...

He found himself not wanting to ruin her appearance and actually wanting to compliment her. It was a simple outfit though but he didn't know what about that simpleness made her look so pretty. Perhaps it was because she was just a simple girl wearing a simple outfit. She looked so plain and yet, she looked like a model who had just stepped out of a magazine.

She looks so pretty. I can't just ruin her clothes. Well... I can't.

Smirking, Michael leaned over to one of his friends who mimicked his expression by smirking along with him.

"Trash it."


Alex was scared. She felt trapped in the school. The sound of the music growing louder only increased the intensity Alex was feeling. She felt as if she were trapped inside of a giant heart that pumped and throbbed all around her. All she could think about was getting help or at least stand beside someone with some authority. She had to find a teacher.

Alex was moving quickly with all haste down the hall when a large hand grasped her thin shoulder.

"Where do you think you're going, bitch? We got some catching up to do."

It was Michael.

Michael's friends wrapped their arms around her, their arms like thick ropes preventing her from escaping to safety. Alex struggled relentlessly but she was unable to even loosen the grasps of the three boys. It was all a useless effort, just like her life.

The boys lifted her off of the floor and hovered her body over a nearby trash can and she felt her heart race considerably.

"Let go of me!" Alex shouted.

"You heard the lady," Michael said, "Let go of her."

The boys broke out into hysterical laughter as they dropped her head first into the trash can. Alex's face landed on a pile of damp paper towels and empty soda cans. She winced at the intoxicating smell of orange soda and the chemical detergent that the janitors used to clean the bathrooms.

"You ain't nothing but trash, Alex," Michael spat coldly but the debris pressed against Alex's ears muffled his voice, "I told you that you were mine. You don't run your life. I do. I own you. Remember that."

Alex heard the sound of footsteps drawing away and once they faded into silence, she groaned. Enraged, she tried to pull herself out of the trash can. With one great push, she managed to tip the trash can over on it's side and she, and all of its contents spilled out onto the marble floor. Alex stood up amidst the debris and stared into the mirrored shallowness of the tiny puddle of orange soda showing her reflection. Bits of paper were caught in her hair and there were several stains marred on her white blouse.

Tears welled in her eyes. She had never felt so worse about herself in her life. Michael and his friends were taking everything away from her and she was still too weak to end it all.

A tear rolled down her cheek and dripped on the floor. She wanted to scream. She wanted to yell at all of the world for allowing it to happen and allowing Michael to get away with everything. She wanted to curse God for allowing her world to be filled with so much torment and sorrow.

She kicked down the trash can out of rage, sending it colliding against the wall.

I hate this!

"Alex?" a voice questioned and Alex's whipped her head around to face the owner of the voice. It was Monica with Tatiana standing close beside her.

No. Don't let her see me like this!

"Where you been? Nelson is looking..." Monica scanned Alex's marred clothing in utter confusion, "What happened?"

"Leave me alone!" Alex screamed rushing down the hallway.

She shouldered her way through the dancing crowd and stormed out of the school to be left alone.

"I was only asking what happened..." Monica murmured frowning.  

Tatiana fumed with anger, "I know what happened."

That bastard!

Tatiana stormed further down the hallway with her heels slamming against the marble floor, leaving behind several scratches and slight dents in the floor. She found Michael at the end of the hall, looking so haughty as he leaned himself against the wall and shoved his hands into the pockets of his slacks. She could just kill him at that moment.

"Why do you do this to her?!" Tatiana shouted furiously.

"I like being in control," he replied simply without bothering to glance over at her.

"It's because she doesn't love you, right?" she asked and the surprised look on his face encouraged her to continue, "You always tormented her but secretly, you wanted her to love you. You wanted to hurt her so much that she would hate you and end up wanting to love you. You wanted her to hate you so much that she would want you to love her instead. Like that would ever happen. You don't know how to love anybody. Your so heartless that you can't even do anything as humanly simple as that."

Michael, out of rage and disbelief to her outspoken behavior, slapped her across the face, causing her to stumble to the floor in spite of his abuse. She stared up at him in utter shock as she drew up a dainty hand to lie on her flushed cheek.

"You son of a bitch-?!"

"Shut up!" Michael snapped accusingly pointing a finger at her, "Don't ever speak of this to anyone or ever say this in my presence again. Do you understand? I'll treat you just as badly as her if you even try to."

Without waiting for her to agree, he stormed off in a blinding rage, shoving both students and teachers out of his way. He didn't care if he would get in trouble with it in the future. All he cared about was getting out of there; and fast.

As he stepped outside, he heard sobbing nearby and he didn't even have to glance into that direction to realize who it was. He knew her cry better than anyone.

He restrained himself from looking over at her though. Lord knew that he wouldn't be able to look away.

'It's because she doesn't love you, right?' Tatiana had said with that confident glint in her eye.

Why does she always have to be right about everything?!

It was bad enough that he was in love with the girl he was supposed to hate but now Tatiana knew about him being in love with her when the said girl was completely oblivious to it! Was he just that readable or was Tatiana just that observant? He hoped that it was neither.

Either way though, he knew that Tatiana was right about what she had said but there was no way in hell Michael would ever admit that aloud.
Chapter End Notes:
Please review!