- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Now this. This is a favorite of mine. Second best chapter here. 

 

 The last thing I wanted to do right now was talk to the mayor. Why would he want to talk to me, anyway?

 

He wants to know what happened. For the sake of his town's image, of course.

 

"You're probably right," I whispered, entering the town hall.

 

"But it's only been a week."

 

The sooner the better. They reminded me of the incident that brought this whole situation up when they said that.

 

 But they were right. That was the phrase that always reminded me of the mayor. If something ever went wrong, he had to be right on it. I see that as a great thing, but I'm surprised he even knew what happened.

 

I'm sure he's heard about it from everyone. This really isn't a big town, and you know how fast things spread around, especially when you're involved.

 

 They were right. Again. Every time I go anywhere, they're always whispering. They would shuffle away from me, whispering. Even if they were walking by themselves they would! It irked me to no end, but what could I do? It's not like I could ever change their opinion of me. I shrugged.

 

"Well," I said, exhaling slowly, "Here goes nothing."

 

I looked up at the sign on the mahogany door.

Norm Wilson

Mayor , the sign read.

 

Well don't just stand there.

 

 Slowly, I lifted my hand to knock on the door. Just as soon as my knuckles touched the wooden surface, a voice came from inside the office.

 

"Enter."

 

 Carefully, I turned the doorknob. As soon as the door opened, I was hit in the face with gray. Everything in the office was a dull, lifeless gray. Even the mayor was wearing his usual gray suit.

 

"You wanted to see me?" I asked timidly.

 

 The mayor looked up from his desk. The look of aggravation in his eyes suddenly softened for some reason.

 

Just an act. Don't fall for it.

 

 I stood in the doorway, messing with the buttons on the sleeve of my shirt.

 

"Yes," He said finally. "Have a seat."

 

 Slowly, I sat down in one of the chairs in front of his desk. I almost sank into it but I managed to keep my composure.

 

"Now," He began, "I know that I don't quite understand what happened-"

 

"How can you not?" I asked suddenly. "I'm sure everyone here knows what happened. Or at least, they know what they want to think happened."

 

Very good. Very good, indeed.

 

 I didn't have much time to think about that statement before the mayor started speaking.

 

"I wouldn't know. I haven't been told anything."

 

 He was lying. I could tell he was lying. He was being way too straightforward.

 

"That's a lie and we both know it," I said sharply.

 

 He looked surprised. As if he wasn't expecting me to find out. 

 

It's hard to believe he still doubts you. And yet, in a way, it's still too predictable.

 

 I could only stare as the mayor tried to explain himself.

 

"Well," He went on, "Either way, it's not like I would believe any of it. I mean, I never saw or heard anything-"

 

"They tried to kill me," I snapped.

 

That's my boy.

 

"We don't have any of proof of that just-"

 

"What kind of proof do you need?" I shouted, standing up. I felt like I couldn't even control myself I was so outraged. "I know for a fact what happened. Because it happened to me. Not to any of them, butme. I havebruises. I can prove what they did! My window is still broken because of what they've done."

 

 Finally calmed, I looked down at the floor. What just happened?

 

Say something. Say something fast.

 

"That may be true," The mayor explained as I looked down. "But-"

 

"I have the stones," I whispered.

 

 The stones. The one thing that proved I wasn't crazy. The one thing that might prove me right for once. The one thing that could actually save me.

 

"You what?"

 

I looked up. "I kept the stones," I said slowly. "I haven't had the chance to get rid of them yet. What other proof would I need?"

 

 I felt hopeful, but the look on the mayor's face told me that I was doing something wrong.

 

"What?" I asked.

 

 He sighed.

 

"Nothing," He said softly. "Just… just go."

 

"What?" I repeated. "Why?"

 

"I know all I need to know, j-just go."

 

I think he wants you to leave.

 

"Really?" I asked. It seemed like a question for the both of them.

 

"Yes," The mayor said quickly. "I-I'll do everything I can a-and get back to you on it. Alright?"

 

 Nodding slowly, I turned to the door.

 

Well, that wasn't that bad.

 

"Wait."

 

I turned around to face him again. Slowly, he walked over to me.

 

"I'm sorry."