- Text Size +
Michael's POV

I look over the balcony and she her laying there on the ground below. I run out of the room and down the stairs as fast as my legs will take me. Running outside I drop to my knees to see if she was alive. Careful not to more her body to much I check for a pulse and I feel my body freeze up on me when I realize that she has no pulse. I call 911 and in record breaking time I see them running threw the house into the backyard.

They talked very quickly in all sorts of medical terms. They put her in the back of the ambulance and allowed me to come along for the ride. As we arrived at the hospital boat loads of fans already started to crowd outside. They rushed Ashli into the ER and told me to 'wait' in the waiting room. I sighed clearly annoyed. What a day this has been. I found a girl getting attacked by a man and I ask her to move in with me, then she tries to kill herself. I just wanted to help her, but she needs time to get used to me. She needs to trust me, or she won't tell me anything.

After 3 hours of waiting it was now 5am and I had been up pacing the waiting room, until finally the doctor comes to tell me the news. I just hope that it isn't bad news. "Well, Mr. Jackson... "Call me Michael." I interrupted. "Michael, she's pulling through. She's a fighter. She does have two cracked ribs, a broken leg, and a few cuts and bruises." I let out the breath that I didn't know I was even holding and asked the doctor if I could see her.

The doctor said yes and led me to her room. He left to give Ashli and me some time to talk. I stared at her intently. "Why?" She asked me. "Why what Ashli?" She rolled her eyes and turned the other way looking out of the window. "Why did you save me? That was suppose to be my escape!" She screamed tears running down her face. "Do you wanna talk about. I'm a good listener." I chuckled trying lighten the mood. "No, I don't wanna talk about it." I stroked the side of her face and she smacked my hand away quickly. "No! Don't touch me!" Sighing I sit on the side of the hospital bed and draw circles on her arm with my finger trying to sooth her, but she cringed so I pulled my hand back. "I...uh..I guess I'll go then."

I got up and walked to the door. "It was 1972 when my life started to fall apart". I took a sit right next to her and listened as she continued to talk. "My parents were over achievers. They wanted the best and while my older sister always had success in everything she did, I almost always failed. My parents were disgusted with me. My dad was so disgusted that he left and never came back and my mom from that point on always blamed me.

She got remarried and did everything in her power to make sure that my step-father wouldn't leave. And she let him...." Ashli paused and started to cry. Tears poured from her eyes. I got up and sat on the bed putting my arm around her pulling her close. She cringed, but didn't pull away. I rested my head on her head and silently encouraged her to continue.
"My mom she let him touch me. She would doll me all up and I always thought that we were having some mother-daughter time. I finally got sick of it and called the police, but my mom told them that I was lying and just playing a prank. She beat me that night and kicked me outta the house. I was..uh I was only 12. I was taken in by the sweetest old lady there ever was, her name was Claire. I thought my life was finally looking up, until 4 years later when one night I saw her laying there on the ground dead. The police said she was killed, but never found the killer.

I was in love with this man, Ricky, who I knew Claire hated, but after she died I moved in with him. He beat me almost every day, most times he would beat me within an inch of my life. I tried to leave him, but he always found me. Then I left him one night and then you appeared. You were like an angel that appeared out of nowhere. Now here I am." She finished up. I didn't know what to say, I was speechless.

But I had to know one more thing. "Why did you try to kill yourself?" She pulled away from me and looked me in the eyes with tears streaming down her face. "I wanted to end it. The pain, the sorrow, the broken heart. I wanted it all to end. I heard a voice in my head say no one would miss you if died, so what are you waiting for...jump."

This was just to much to process. At least I know now. I try to get up, but she pulls on my arm gently. "I don't wanna die anymore." That has to be the best thing I've heard all day. I let out a sigh of relieve. "Your not gonna die." I say whilst shaking my head. She smiles tiredly, then falls asleep, because of all the medication she's on right now. I get up heading to door and Ashli whispers. "Please don't leave." I look over to her, it looked as if she was talking in her sleep. "I'm not going anywhere. I promise."