- Text Size +

Chapter 1: *Around 2001*

“Okay, so that’s two short stacks of blueberry pancakes, eggs… one over-easy….the other scrambled…. Bacon on one order….sausage on the other and an order of hash browns…” Jaden K. Ross read off the order to her customers. The two young men nodded their heads to approve. “Yep ma, you’ve got it.” One of the young men said. Jaden put on her fake ‘I’m at work’ smiles. “Okay, I’ll be back in a few minutes with your orders.” She told them.

As she was about to turn and walk away, one of the boys grabbed her by the wrist. Shocked, Jaden yanked her hand away and gave him a menacing look. “Whoa, ma.” He explained. “There’s no need for you to be all defensive. I just wanted to tell you that you look real good and whatchu’ getting into when you get off." Jaden sighed, used to all of the unwanted attention and advances that she frequently got from her male customers.

“Look, I’m sure you’re a nice guy and all, but I’m really not interested in seeing anybody right now.” Dejected, the young man pulled out his phone. “I can’t even get a number or somethin’?” he asked. With that, Jaden snickered, shook her head and walked off. She was amused at the boy’s relentlessness. “Forget you then! Just bring me my food!” he yelled after her, clearly embarrassed. All in a day’s work, she thought to herself.

She wasn’t sure how long she would last with that stupid waitressing job at the 24-Hour diner. The pay was not that great; it barely helped pay for the apartment that she shared with three other people. She surely didn’t appreciate the demeaning treatment that she received from many of her customers night in and night out. It was extremely hard for her not to be rude to them because they gave her the meager tips that she desperately needed. Her employees and bosses weren’t the ideal crowd to work around neither. All she needed was a break, a blessing from the sky, to get her name out there. Then she would leave this dump for good.

At 23, Jaden Kimoria Ross was a very determined and head-strong young woman. A couple of years ago, she had enough of the rough meaningless home life in Oklahoma. She had dreams that she never would achieve if she continued to live there. With that, she took all of her savings and the few belongings that she had and moved to California. When she got there, she didn’t have a home and even had to stay at the homeless shelter for awhile before finding a cheap apartment with complete strangers. Even through that was a moot point in her life, she made sure to never even think about going back to Oklahoma. Not only would she be giving up on what she really wanted, but that meant that she was weak and accepting failure. It was at least one thing her mother instilled in her and she planned not to ever let her see it. Home life taught her to have a hard shell towards things in life.

More than anything, Jaden wanted to be a singer. Not just any singer, she wanted to be a performer and an inspiration. She wanted to write and sing songs that touched people’s hearts. She wanted to dance and make the crowd feel what she was feeling. She wouldn’t have moved so many miles away if she didn’t believe in her talents.

Jaden could SANG with so much passion and grace; her voice was very strong, clear and defined. Her dancing talents were very sophisticated, filled with rhythm and talents. She also taught herself how to play the guitar. It was no doubt that she had major talent. The many record labels and judges that she auditioned for told her that. However, they told her that she either was too passionate and not commercial enough, or the other way around. Jaden never knew that someone could get rejected for having “Too Much” talent. She needed something (or someone trustworthy) to come through.

However, she never had trouble getting offers to model, but that wasn’t what she had come to California for. Jaden was a staggering 5 foot, 7in and had incredibly long legs. Her body had curves for days and she was well-proportioned on the top and bottom. She fit nicely in a size seven. Her smooth butter cream complexion was a result of her heritage. Her mother was of European descent; her father was three- fourths African-American and one-fourth Japanese. Her exotic look was evident in her high-check bones, full lips and her almond-shaped golden eyes. Her hair (which she wore up at work) fell past her shoulder in wispy dark waves. There was no doubt that she was incredibly gorgeous. However, she didn’t think much of her appearance. She always focused herself on her family and her talents. In her eyes, there was little time for dating or anything else.

By the time she begrudgingly gave the boys their orders and collected her small tip, she was finished with her shift. “Lucinda, I’m done for tonight” she announced to her co-worker. “Okay sweetie,” the nice middle aged women replied. “Any luck with auditions this week hon?” Jade solemnly shook her head, but forced a small smile. “Nope not yet!” she said as cheerfully as possible. “But there’s always more.” “That’s right” Lucinda said. “I feel like something amazing is gonna happen for you soon, you know?” Lucinda felt for Jade. She had heard her sing before and knew that she had amazing talent and looks. She knew Jaden had her head focused on making it, and she wanted to see her succeed. “I hope so,” Jaden confessed. “It’s almost been two years. I knew it would be easy at all though. I just need a break from God!” “Well you keep praying dear,” Lucinda said. “Something special’s gonna happen to you. I can feel it!” Jade chucked. “I believe you dear. Thanks for the encouragement.Good night!”

By the time she got to the bus stop, she waited for her usual 6:30 a.m. bus. She didn’t mind working overnight; she never could sleep many hours a night. As she got on the bus she pulled out her walkman and cut on to one of her favorite artists of all time. She nodded her head to the songs off of Michael Jackson’s HIStory album. Michael, when are you gonna come out with a new album? She hypothetically quizzed to herself. He had too much talent to not have any new stuff out. She loved his music, his personality and thought he was the sexiest man….light or dark skinned. She, like everyone else tried to imitate his moves also. His songs and performances to her always was a get away from her damp home life.

When she got back, she walked into the old apartment that she shared with another girl and two boys. They all were slightly younger than her, 20 or 21. She found out about them through a posting at a grocery store. They all were struggling artists who had to work scrap jobs to make ends meet. Although they could be a bit too strange and eclectic, Jaden found them refreshing and made the best of her time living with them.

“Everyday, make you’re his-tor-yyyyy….” She sang the Michael Jackson song with passion as she entered the room she shared with her roommate Cassie, who was passed out and slightly snoring on the floor. After she showered and ate, she laid her head down, hoping to get some sleep. I hope Lucinda is right, Jade thought to herself. She needed something amazing to happen. And soon.