- Text Size +

Chapter 23: Victory


Now that Devin and Lisa Marie knew about Michael and Jaden’s relationship, it seemed to be both a relief and a worry. Relief because someone knew about the love they had for one another. Worry because they could give their secret up into the public. For Jaden, it was nice to go see Michael without having to hide and lie to Devin. She could take his eye rolling and sighing of disapproval whenever she mentioned where she would be going over her breaks. Just as long as her blissful relationship with the king of pop stayed under wraps. Especially now that she was now a household name. She now had to deal with the fleeting paparazzi at a ridiculous level and that was stressful enough for the both of them.

Jaden’s celebrity blew up so much that her debut album, Daydreaming Jade went quadruple platinum in sales! To celebrate UMG gave her a platinum party extravaganza at a rented mansion in West Hollywood Hills.

It seemed as if hundreds of guest showed up to give Jaden their congrats and support for her success. After all, it was very rare for a debuting artist to garner up an astonishing amount of record sales. There was talk of her being up for numerous awards. Star musical artists, actors, and producers of all ages filled the elegant room, sipping on high-priced beverages and snacking on extravagant h'orderves. Upbeat music blared across the room and P Diddy seemed interested in getting a dance started. Everyone seemed to be having a grand time with the good vibe going in the atmosphere.
Jaden peered at the grand scenery from one of the rooms she was vacating.

Having not made an appearance yet, her glam squad hooked her up from head to toe and had just left her to herself. Seeing all of those people suddenly made her feel like that shy small child who rather liked to put on performances for her brothers than for other people. It was still very astounding to her that she had actually sold that many albums and was getting rewarded for it. She barely knew half of the people in attendance and it gave her a nervous energy. Now she knew how Michael felt when he went to big events; it wasn’t as easy as it looked. Speaking of Michael, she missed him dearly. She saw him a week before and they spent their time together making music and learning how to bowl. She always had a blast being with him and was pathetically lovesick for him.

Knowing that they all were waiting for her, Jaden knew that she couldn’t stay in that room forever…as much as she wanted to at least. Jaden took a deep breath, checked herself out in the mirror, and walked out down the stairs in the enormous room where everyone was.

The DJ immediately saw her entrance before anyone else and immediately stopped the music to make an announcement. “Ladies and gents, the lady of the hour is finally here!!! She’s sold more albums on her debut than any other debuting artist on UMG. She’s beautiful, classy and talented…everyone show your love for Miss Jade Ross!!!!” Jaden blushed and smiled as she heard the flashy announcement of herself and the hundreds of pairs of eyes glued on her. Some yelled, most applauded and others gasped at how gorgeous she looked. Jaden donned a fitting gold Cavalli cocktail gown with matching gold and black jewelry. The attire brought out the golden brown highlights on her eyes and hair, which Tony had whipped into its natural dramatic wavy state. Her butter pecan skin flickered flawlessly in the atmosphere as her racial ambiguity stood out at full force. No one could figure out which black, white, or even Asian gene was the most dominant of her.

Overwhelmed, Jaden came downstairs and greeted as many people as possible. Many seemed genuine in their compliments and well wishes, but she still felt nervous. A waiter offered her a flute of Cristal. Although she wasn’t much of a drinker, Jaden eagerly accepted the flute, gulped it down and immediately had another. She needed something to calm her jumpy, excited nerves. On the makeshift stage, a well-dressed Charlie Kline, Karen Douglas, and Devin appeared. Always a talker, Charlie interrupted the crowd and began to talk about how Jaden auditioned and blew them away and how she is going to unimaginable heights as an artist. Always a warm person, Karen congratulated her and told her that she was an inspiration to many. Finally, Devin took the mike and spoke about their unique business relationship and how he was a big name because of her. Deep down however, he wanted to scream “If you break up with Michael Jackson, everything won’t be ruined!!” He kept all feelings aside however.

“Would you like to say something?” Devin turned the microphone toward her, giving a flashy smile. Looks like I don’t have much of a choice. He knows I don’t like being put on the spot she thought as she came onstage smiling, taking the microphone and a deep breath. “First of all, thank you all for being here. Y’all don’t know how much this really means to me. I love you guys!” She waited until the applause died down before continuing. “When I moved here to Cali, I only had a few belongings and my trusty guitar. I wanted someone to believe in me…. and it seemed like that would never happen.” She took another breath as she looked at Devin. “But someone did. Thanks to Devin, for hearing me out, making things possible, allowing me to display my talents.” And hooking me up to my love, the king of pop!, she thought.

“We may have disagreements, but you are a great manager and a friend.” She hugged Devin. Although he didn’t agree with her decision to be with Michael, he had been the “blessing from the sky” for her career that she had longed for. Devin felt some of his underlying anger dissipate; no matter what, he knew Jaden was sincere and a kind person. Although he still thought that she was very confused to be dating Michael, she was the consummate artist and client. “Anyhow,” Jaden continued, more relaxed with the Cristal in her system. “I am so humbled and blessed to have this opportunity and seeing the fruits of my work be shown in such a gratifying way. I thank God everyday for it all……”

As Jaden continued to talk, she didn’t know that a big surprise was about to grace her presence. Michael, along with Chris Tucker, snuck into the room unnoticed. He knew where her party was held and had decided to go out on a limb and surprise her. It didn’t matter if his name was on the guest list; he was the King of pop and he got in with ease. Jaden continued. “Well, to wrap this up, I”- and like a magnet, her topaz eyes zoomed in on him. He had on rock star shades, wore a stylish silver jacket and leather pants that did justice to his long graceful legs and quant booty. His hair was straight, shoulder-length and layered. Only a man like Michael Jackson could pull off that defining look; he looked incredibly sexy. Jaden’s eyes widened “Oh my Lord…Michaaaeeelll!” she yelled out subconsciously. I can’t believe my man is here, the trickster!, she thought. She had no clue that he would appear at the party. He never led on to her that he would be in any way. Everyone’s heads turned to the back to see who she was talking about. They all immediately began to get excited and ran to greet and talk to him and Chris Tucker. No matter what status a person had, to meet the king of pop was a once in a lifetime experience.

While Michael gave out hugs, kisses, and autographs, Charlie took in the scene in excitement. “Wow, Jade. Your success has even got Michael Jackson and Chris Tucker to come out and show their support! This is amazing and great PR! Someone must have invited him!” Devin cleared his throat, looking the other way. “Yes….I really wonder who did that.” Jaden gave him a disapproving glare before she turned back to the microphone to give her conclusion. “Anyhow, with that, I am wrapping up. God bless and enjoy the rest of the evening!!!” Excited, she walked away from the stage. She wanted to find a way to spend time with her man way more than everyone else did. If that was possible. No one, not even Devin, was going to ruin that.