- Text Size +

Chapter 25: She Drives Me Wild: Part I

Michael angrily slammed down the phone. Another day, another missed call from Jaden. He didn’t understand what was so hard for the two of them to call one another when they both were available. It was all becoming a bit too nerve-wracking. He hadn’t seen her for another two weeks, since the party. They didn’t have time to spend with each other since then. It was another day and another start of working between the two; Michael had to prepare himself for the MTV awards and Jaden had to go off on her tour with Alicia Keys. He completely understood that business was business and that they had to tend to their careers first. However, it was becoming hard to maintain a valid relationship with her because of it.

Restless, Michael went outside to his beloved ‘giving tree’ at Neverland. He always resided there to think and write his lyrics, hence why it was called that. It was a very special and dear place to him. He climbed up and rested against the thick branch, taking in the calm evening air. The next day, he had to prepare himself to go to New York for the Awards ceremony. It was the last moments he had before having to deal with thousands of people in his face. He loved his fans very dearly, but it was all a bit overwhelming to have to deal with them, the media, and the press all at the same time. He knew he was in for a typical, crazy rare night out.

Looking up at the stars, Michael sighed in frustration. He didn’t know what to think about his relationship and where it was headed. He had fallen head over heels in love with Jaden Ross, and now he began to think that it was both a blessing and a problem. It was a blessing because she brightened up his life in every way possible. He smiled even more often because he knew he had found someone special, who loved both him and his children. Jaden was that wonderful someone that he thought he would never find. Unfortunately, the problem was that they had to hide their love for each other from the world. Michael began to think that he was holding her back from her social life because she constantly had to hide out with him. He didn’t think it was fair for her to live her life and possibly put her career in jeopardy because they were seeing each other. And besides that, there were things he wanted to do that he knew she wasn’t ready for; she was two decades younger than him. Michael wanted to have another child and he didn’t know how he would make that happen with Jaden at this point, unless he adopted. Things were getting complicated and he needed to talk to her. He needed to see where their relationship was going.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exhausted, Jaden came into her hotel room and took a much needed relaxing shower. She had been in Washington D.C., her fourth city in five days. She was quickly realizing that touring was no joke. She had learned as a performing artist that voice preservation and precious sleep time were vital in surviving the whole thing. Either way, she still was having a blast and enjoyed performing her heart out for sold out audiences night after night. She didn’t complain one bit. “These aches and pains can easily be helped by a masseuse,” she thought to herself as she gratefully eased on her bed with a smile. “This is all a blessing. I’m doing what I love and I never have to worry about where my next meal will come from ever again”

She checked her cell phone for any missed calls and discovered that Michael had been trying to get in touch with her multiple times. “Oh no!! I completely forgot to call him back!” she scolded herself aloud. “Some girlfriend I am.” She began to feel guilty with the way she had been treating Michael lately. There just wasn’t any time for much else after being consumed with her shows. And deep down, maybe just maybe the act of having to keep their relationship “In the closet” was starting to wear her down a bit. She loved being with Michael; he was one of the best things to ever happen to her. However it was hard not being able to see him when she wanted to and be able to have a normal relationship. She knew she was going to have to have a talk with him.

She picked up the phone and called him; she had to hear his voice and not a day later. “Jade. How are you love? I’ve missed you.” Michael greeted her. Jaden melted inside like she always did when she was around him. “I’ve missed you too baby,” she told him. “I’m sorry I haven’t been able to talk to you lately. Touring takes up majority of my day.” She heard a light wind coming on the other end of the phone as they went through a strange moment or awkward silence. “Are you outside?” “Yes. I’m sitting on the giving tree,” Michael responded. “Are you writing another song?” she asked. “Not exactly,” Michael bit the bottom of his lip, nervous of how he was to bring this up. “Um, I’m just thinking. About things in life and where they are at this moment.” Jaden sat up in the bed. She could sense that there was something on his mind and unfortunately, she had a feeling that she was a part of it. “I see. What kind of things are you thinking about?” Michael sighed. He knew he couldn’t hold back much longer. “Jade. What do you think about us? How do you think we are doing?”

Jaden began to play with her hair, which was what she did when she felt tension. She swallowed before saying. “I think we are doing fine. Why would you ask?” “I just need to know,” Michael told her. “I just think that you may not be as comfortable having to secretly dating me as you were at the beginning.” Damn. How does he read through me so well? She shamefully thought. She knew there was no way she could lie to him. “Michael, being uncomfortable with you has never been the issue. Ever. I must admit though, that our long distance relationship is wearing me down a bit. I hate not being able to see you every day and I hate that we can’t go to Dolce and have a normal dinner and I hate that we can’t take Paris and Prince to Chuck E Cheese.” She took a breath as she felt her voice get a bit shaky. “And most importantly, I hate that we can’t walk around holding hands and BE around one another in public. Honestly, I sometimes I feel like we can’t have a real relationship.”

Jaden got up and began to pace around; she worried that she had said a bit too much, but felt that it had to be said. “So the truth comes out,” Michael thought to himself. “Well, I appreciate that you are being honest with me Jade. That’s all I’ve ever asked of you. I’m sorry this is how you feel about everything. I feel the exact same way you do. I don’t know what I was thinking to ever hold you to this kind of thing. You came into my life and I fell deeply in love with you. For that, I lost all senses and I thought that somehow, someway we could make this work. That we could have the best of both worlds: our careers and our relationship.” On the other end, Jaden began to tear up; she felt where their conversation was headed and didn’t want to face that. “Michael-“ she interrupted, her voice wavering.

“No, no it’s okay Jade. I completely understand. I’m not mad at you.” Michael went on. “You’re young, talented and beautiful. You should be out there experiencing things with someone that can fulfill things that I simply can’t.” Jaden felt the tears escape her topaz eyes; she knew that what she feared was about to happen. “Michael, I love you so much. I don’t want us to break up! I don’t care about all of that other stuff; we can work through it.”

Michael too had begun to silently cry. It was all too painful to have to break up with someone he loved very much. But he knew it was for the best. “It’s for the best Jade, I promise you. We are just at two different points in our lives right now. I don’t want to have you to live in refuge anymore because you’re with me. I’ll never stop loving you and you know that.” Still in denial, Jaden asked “What about what we had together? I don’t want to lose you.” There was a long pause of silence between them. “I don’t want to just throw it all away either Jade, but I HAVE to do this. You’re one of my best friends and I don’t want that to change.” Sorrow quickly changed into anger for Jaden. “Why does everyone I love the most hurt me the worst??” she thought. “I can’t believe this is happening!!!” she yelled. “Why do you want to hurt me like this, Michael? Is it because people have hurt you just as much in the past?” Immediately, Michael pained by her words. He never would want to hurt anyone-especially the ones he loved. He knew how bad it felt “I never want to hurt you,” he told her solemnly. “You know what? Just forget you ever knew me Michael. Lose this number.” Jaden told him. With that, she hung up on him, just like she felt he had hung up on their relationship. She flopped on her bed and sobbed uncontrollably.

Back at Neverland, Michael wiped his tears as he leaned against his branch once again. For the first time in awhile, he felt completely lonely. In a perfect world, he could marry Jaden and they could be a family and have their careers. She was what he craved in a woman. However, life didn’t come like that. As much as it hurt the both of them, it was best for them to move on without each other.