- Text Size +

Chapter 29: Where the heart is



Jaden spent two days thinking of how she would approach the entire situation. She knew she had to be smart about her tactics or everything could backfire. Most importantly, she didn’t want to jeopardize Michael’s chances of winning this ridiculous trail. She finally came to the conclusion that she was going to have to dive in head first to make any progress, and it started by talking to Michael’s main lawyer, Tom Mesereau. As she sat by her pool on a sunny afternoon, she finally gathered up the nerve to contact him. Please God, just please let this all work out, she prayed as her phone rang. Jaden knew that she was going to be in some major media time and that she could possibly get into trouble with UMG for both defending and admitting to have dated Michael. However, nothing mattered more to her than preserving her love’s innocence. Even if they were not together, she felt like it was her duty to do whatever she had to for him. It was a sacrifice that she was willing to take.

Finally, a receptionist picked up. “Who would you like to speak to?” the receptionist asked. Jaden took a deep breath before saying, “Yes. Jaden K. Ross for Mister Thomas Mesereau please.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael was close to being in shambles. It was becoming closer to the trail date, and he would have to start making his appearances in court. He shuddered at the thought of facing the menacing media and worst of all, having to see the Arrizo family. He wasn’t sure if he would be strong enough to look at the woman who was the mastermind of his personal tragedy. Like that afternoon, if he wasn’t with the children, he stayed outside a lot. He took long walks around his house, trying to gather his thoughts, fears, and prayers together. The fresh air seemed to be one of only a few things to keep his sanity these days. He startled himself when his phone rang. He looked at his ID and saw that his lawyer, Tom Mesereau was calling him. The only times he called between their meetings was if he had any new information to give him. He prayed it was something worthwhile.

After they greeted each other with small talk, Tom Mesereau cut to the chase. It was one of the many things Michael really liked about this successful, savy attorney. “Michael, boy I have news for you. I don’t even know where to begin.” Michael sighed anticipating another lie the family had conjured up. “My God, what now?” he muttered. “If you can confirm this is true, this will REALLY help your case,” Tom told him as he rubbed his temples and took off his glasses. “This just seems to be very bizarre…. Michael, did you ever date the singer Jade???” Michael stopped walking immediately. Was this some kind of trick or was this really her? “Well….why do you ask?” he questioned him. He didn’t want to confirm the truth until he found out what the motives were. “Because, Jade, Jaden K. Ross to be exact called me earlier today to tell me that the two of you dated. And during that time, she spent a significant amount of time with you and the children at Neverland. While she was there, she confided that the Arrizos where there also and she witnessed the conspicuous behavior firsthand.” He took a bated breath before going on. “If this is true, this could help make your case that much stronger! Especially if she’s got any evidence such as pictures or any significant document.

Michael couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He couldn’t believe that his ex-girlfriend, the lady that he still loved by the way, was willing to help him like this. It was mainly his fault that the two of them had not spoken to her for nearly two years after all. The news brought tears to his eyes. “Michael, sir, are you still there?” Tom Mesereau asked him. Michael cleared his throat and quickly got his composure together. “Yes. Yes I still am.” He told him. “And to answer your question…. Yes. We did date for awhile.” “Wow. Okay….. okay,” Tom slowly said as he took detailed notes. “If she complies like she said she would, this can push your case into an even more positive direction.” Michael exhaled, his already emotional insides suddenly fluttered with nervousness and anticipation. “Really? You think so?” he asked. “Michael, anytime you have someone who has experienced something this first hand, it can only do nothing but help you.” Tom assured him. “The thing that we have to worry about, is how the media will eat this like a number one combo at Burger King. The King of Pop having dated the princess of pop and the fact that she has only said something about it now is going to be the talk of the outlets. But I think that this is a fair sacrifice for everything.”

Michael felt bad for Jaden. The worst thing he feared for them in their relationship would be coming true. I have to talk to her before we go through with anything, he thought to himself. “I’m okay with this happening.” Michael spoke up. “But first, I have to talk to her. I have to make sure about a few things. I want to make sure she’s in it for the right reasons and that she knows what she is getting herself into.” And I just need to really see her, he added to himself. “Fair enough,” Tom responded. “As a matter of fact we are meeting up at my office tomorrow around one. If you are up for it, come on over and the three of us can talk about everything.” Michael nodded as he rubbed his hands together. “Yes, I would like that very much. God bless you.” “No problem. See you then.” Tom told him.

After they hung up, Michael sat down to let everything sink in. Tomorrow he would be meeting with Jaden for the first time in a long time. It was unfortunate that it had to be in this circumstance for that to happen. He well knew that all things happened for a reason. He hoped this time it would for a good one.