- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

 

.

 

 

*Part III*

*Back to Present Day*

So that’s how we crossed paths once again. It took an entire, meaningless hurtful trial to bring Michael and I back together and into each other’s lives. The entire time, I didn’t want to do anything with my career or with myself. I didn’t care how many questions I got from reporters questioning why I was ever with him. I only wanted to be there for him and the children and make sure that I could do everything I could to make sure that he didn’t go to jail over a family of liars. It was then I realized that I was truly in love with this man. Never had I been so willing to sacrifice, to support and give so much to someone before in my entire life. But at the same time, no one had ever moved me like Michael did. He was the most amazing, most compassionate, most giving man that I’ve ever met. I would always forget that he was a superstar because he never did anything for himself. He put every and anything ahead of his own personal being. He taught me so much in the time that we were together and the main one was that it’s okay to actually love and to be in love.

People ask me do I regret doing anything for Michael, and I immediately tell them never in a million years because I knew he would do the exact same thing if it were me. It took time for me to see that.

When we first were together, I was sure that I loved him, but I wasn’t sure on HOW to love him. I thought that love was all take and no give; when things started to get shaky, I got afraid and simply ran away. But it took time, patience and huge misfortune for me to finally admit that I loved Michael like nothing else. I also had to understand that my love had to be just as unconditional as I believed his love was for me.

When the trial was over, Michael was very fragile and exhausted both physically and emotionally. It took months for him to start to get over everything that had happened to him. Some people say that he never was the same after the trial; especially with how he dealt with strangers… understandably. Yet, he still remained the same giving, loving caring person who would give the shirt off of his back to anyone who needed it. His spirits were dampened, but he shook a lot of it off. He didn’t want the children to see him down mainly. He became his clever, funny self as quickly as his possibly could. He told me that life was too short to live miserably in the past and that everyday should be enjoyed and treasured as a gift from God. It amazed me how through everything, he still had reason to laugh and enjoy his life. I learned a lot about life in general by just being around him.

Michael and I remained very close after the trial. He was my very best friend, even closer than Cassie and Sabrina. I tried my best to be his. I would visit and be there for him and the children as much as I could. He and I would have long talks about everything, all night sometimes. Or sometimes we would work on our music and writing lyrics. I loved the kids a lot also. They were about as normal kids as possible, watching Disney Channel, playing and having regular sibling arguments. I would help Michael read to them and we would play games and sports together.

The thought of rekindling our relationship was never really brought up. He and I would make out sometimes, especially if we had romantic walks under the moonlight, which was always very nice.  We went through the motions of being a couple, but not one of us really said it officially. And of course we loved each other very much. By the time the end of ’05 had ended, I asked him if we were officially back together again. Michael simply smirked at me and looked the other way with his beautiful eyes and said “We’ll see. Patience is the virtue.”

I didn’t think much about his response that night I asked him that, but the more I thought about it, I got angry. I wanted all or nothing with him and I was growing tired of the grey area that we were in. I loved him, but I knew I couldn’t take much more of what we were doing without having security about our relationship. I was from the south after all; either you were with the person you loved or you were not. There’s no in between. I decided that I would have to be straightforward with what I wanted from Michael and give him my ultimatum. The next time I would see him again was on Christmas.

However I was in for a very big surprise. As I was ready to tell him how I felt, he was about to do the same thing... in his own special way. Never did I expect what happened on that Christmas night. It changed the way I looked at fairytale, happiness and even forgiveness…… my life would never be the same from then on……..

 

Chapter 35: I Just Can’t Stop Loving You

*Christmas 2005*

“Merry Christmas!!” Jaden called out as she entered the rented mansion where Michael in the kids housed in. She carried a variety of gifts for each of her loves. Jaden loved Christmas as she never really experienced a full one growing up because her mother conveniently “forgot” to get her and her brothers any gifts. Now that she was rich and famous, she made it up to herself and the people she loved the most. She spent Christmas Eve with Justin and his wife, Joshua, Sabrina and Cassie and they all exchanged gifts before everyone departed to spend Christmas with their family and friends respectively. Michael greeted her and signaled to her that he was on the phone. “Yes, I’m glad things are going well with you Liz!” he spoke into his phone. “Merry Christmas. Yes, she just came in.” He looked over and smiled at Jaden. “Liz says Merry Christmas and happy holidays and she can’t wait for your next album to come out.” Jaden smiled back. She loved Elizabeth Taylor and enjoyed being around her vivacious spirit. She also appreciated how great of a friend she was to Michael.

“Tell her same to her! And I’ll dedicate a song just for her,” Jaden winked as Michael delivered the message. He paused for a second and looked away from Jaden as if he didn’t want her to hear what was being said. “Don’t worry, I think I’ve got everything under control,” he said to Elizabeth while giggling. “I’ll let you know how it turns out, okay?” After he hung up with Liz Taylor, Jaden gave him a questioning look. “What was that all about?” she asked. Michael cleared his throat, unsure of what to say. He wasn’t good at making up lies. “She just advised me on some things in my life, that’s all. It’s no big deal.” “Okay,” Jaden said slowly, not fully believing him. Just then, they were interrupted by the children coming into the room they were in. “Merry Christmas!!” Paris and Prince excitedly called out to her. “Mardy Cwhrismas!” Little Blanket mocked his older siblings as best as he could. “We’ve missed you, now what did you bring us?” Paris asked with her hands gleefully in her pocket. Prince quickly nodded his head in agreement.

“Paris, that is not what Christmas is all about.” Michael gently scolded her. Michael had only officially started celebrating Christmas back in 1993 when Liz Taylor had transformed Neverland into a winter wonderland for him. Although he enjoyed the festivities that day, he ended up crying later on because his former religion, Jehovah’s Witness, forbid any holidays to be celebrated and he felt that he had done something wrong. After understanding things much better and now that he especially had children, he thoroughly enjoyed the holiday and took it for what it was: a time to celebrate love and the gift of giving. “It’s a day to celebrate each other through love and giving, whether it be a gift or not.”

Paris bit the bottom of her lip. “Sorry daddy.” she apologized. Jaden smiled as she picked up Blanket. “Well your dad’s right. But…… I think Santa sent a few things my way for me to give to you guys.” Regardless of what was just said, Paris and Prince jumped up and down in excitement. “What is it?? What is it???” They simultaneously asked. Michael and Jaden couldn’t help but laugh because they knew that kids would be kids when they knew they were getting presents. “Let’s go into the living room. I think that Santa may have left some toys for you overnight,” Michael told them. The five of them excitedly went into the living room and Jaden cut on the Disney Christmas parade for them to watch while they all opened presents. “Ahh!!!! Hot wheels and Super soakers!! This is the best Christmas ever!” Prince exclaimed. “Yeah, the best Christmas ever!!” Paris repeated as she glared at her array of Barbie dolls and easy bake oven gifts. “Mardy Cwhrismas!” Blanket said once again in his three year old vocabulary. He had gotten a big wheel and a bunch of Fisher Price toys.

Michael giggled as he whispered in Jaden’s ear. “They say that every year. It never gets old.” Jaden laughed. “Thank you daddy, thank you Jade. We love you.” Paris told them as she Prince and Blanket ran to give them each a hug. “We love you guys too,” Michael smiled as he and Jaden hugged them all back. Michael held back the tears in his eyes while he watched his children play. The joy they had on their faces was worth a thousand words. It made him feel like a good parent when his children got to experience things that he didn’t get to growing up. Jaden looked at him and took his hand. She didn’t need to ask any questions; she knew exactly how he was feeling because she felt the same way. Christmases were next to miserable growing up as a child and she didn’t have many positive memories to hold on to. It was nice to finally have a real Christmas for once. “Oh I have something for you too!” Jaden finally spoke up as she gave him a gift bag. Michael’s eyes lit up as he looked in a pulled out a gold pleated notebook that had “Lyric Book” engraved into it. “I thought you needed a new notebook to put all of those songs that come out of your head,” Jaden shyly told him. “I hope you like it. There’s something else.” Jaden pulled out a DVD box set of “The Best of Three Stooges” and giggled. “I know how much you say they make you laugh, so I got that.” Jaden explained with a shrug. Michael swooped her into a big hug. “Jaden that is one the kindest things anyone ever did for me.” Michael said softly. “You know me so well, and that amazes me. You’ll never know how much this means to me. Thank you so much.” Jaden blushed. “It was nothing, really. Merry Christmas.” Michael gave her a sweet peck on her lips. “Merry Christmas beautiful. And don’t think I forgot about you. I have something for you later.” He shyly looked at her.

“Later huh??” Jaden said in a lower voice. She thought he was being kinky and “Bad Michael” was back to make an appearance. Michael laughed. “Yes. Later”. Jaden cleared her throat. “Well since we’re finally here, I really need to ask you something. It’s about us. I need to know if we are together again, or…do you just wanna remain friends. I really don’t like this grey area we are in right now.” Michael smirked as he raised his large hands up. “Didn’t I tell you girl? Patience is the virtue.” Jaden sighed in frustration, growing tired of the run around that Michael was giving her. “Michael”- she began. –“Let’s talk about this later,” Michael simply told her. Jaden looked at him in exasperation. “When will there ever be a good time to talk about this?!” “I promise, after dinner we can talk about it okay?” Michael instructed. “I don’t see the difference in talking about it now rather than later,” Jaden snapped as she got off the couch, her good mood quickly souring. “I’m gonna go take a nap- in your bed!! Wake me up for dinner.” Jaden could be a firecracker at times, and that was one of the things that he strangely loved about her. He loved passion and she carried a lot of it inside of her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christmas dinner was lovely. Jaden and The Jackson clan feasted on Turkey, macaroni & cheese, green beans, stuffing, potatoes, and a delicious pecan pie that the staff prepared before they left early for the day. Although the nap helped and she tried to be jolly for the children, Jaden was still frustrated with how Michael was taking their relationship as a joke. It’s like he doesn’t give a damn, she thought. If he thinks that I’m gonna sit around here and wait, he’s got the wrong woman. As much as she loved him, Jaden wanted stability. She was afraid that she would have to break ties with him, just to get her point across. She definitely didn’t want to have to do that.  As she looked at him, she caught him stealing glances at her and smiling, as if he were in admiration. At other points he looked a bit nervous, as if he were about to perform onstage. Jaden didn’t know what to think of any his actions.

After dinner had finally ended, they all watched a Christmas movie until the children fell asleep one by one. Jaden helped Michael tuck them in and put away their presents. Afterwards, the two of them went into the living room and Michael disappeared for awhile before coming back with his hands in his pockets. His expression read excitement while his body language read nervousness. “What’s wrong with you??” Jaden asked with a confused look. Michael had that adorable smirk on his face once again. “Why? Nothing’s wrong.” Jaden stood up, flipping her golden waves of hair in anger. “Well there’s something wrong with me,” she began. “I wanna talk about us and I’m not taking no for an answer anymore. Michael, I love you and I understand that you may not want to be attached to anyone for a long time after what you have been through this past year. But I can’t be your play thing. I don’t want to be kissed, touched or held anymore, wondering if it’s all in vain or that you really want to be with me. Either we are gonna be an item, or…. I don’t know what!” Michael simply smiled and reached out his hand to her. Even angry, she was still the most beautiful woman he had laid eyes on.

“Come here girl,” he told her. “Come with me.” Jaden rolled her eyes. “Where are we going?” “I’m pouring my heart out to you, and you know that’s hard for me to do.” “Trust me,” Michael told her. “This will be well worth it.” Jaden reluctantly grabbed his hand and followed his lead to the balcony on the second floor. Jaden gasped when she saw everything; the entire balcony was decorated with fuchsia and emerald green colored candles, her favorite colors. The candles gave off a luminous background to the full moon and crisp winter night “W- w-w-w- what’s all of this for? This is so beautiful.” Jaden could barely get the words out of her mouth. Michael wrapped his arms around her, his chocolate eyes meeting her caramel eyes. “This is all for you, out of my appreciation. Don’t you know how much you mean to me? How much you have been there for me when no one else was? I love everything about you. I love the way you carry yourself, I love your spirituality, I love how you have become a talented respected artist, I love your beauty inside and out, I love your smile, I love how we can talk and laugh about anything, and the children love you too. I could on forever about how much I love you Jade.” Tears came in his eyes as he got on his knees. He had never really got the opportunity to officially propose before; he had always wanted to and was glad that it was someone whom he considered his soul mate.

“I want to spend the rest of my life celebrating all of these things with you. I thought I would never find that one woman who could change my life for the better, but God had me to wait for you. I want you to be my wife Jade. Will you marry me?” Michael placed a huge diamond ring on her finger; it was etched out with Jade stones, paying homage to her name. Jaden instantly went into shock, looking at her gorgeous ring and then Michael, and then her surroundings, and then back to Michael again. She couldn’t believe that a few minutes ago she was demanding that they be an item and Michael actually wanted marriage. It was all too surreal. Michael giggled nervously. “Are you okay? Are you gonna say something?” After swallowing, she broke into a huge grin. “ARE YOU KIDDING ME? OF COURSE I WANT TO MARRY YOU!!!” She kneeled down and hugged Michael so hard that they both fell on the floor. Jaden didn’t care as she continued to kiss Michael all over as he did the same. “I love you so much baby!” she finally told him as she hugged him. “I’m sorry for being so pushy earlier. But I never knew that this would be coming!” Michael laughed. “What am I gonna do with you? That’s why didn’t wanna say anything all day. I even asked Cassie and Sabrina for help.” “Those tricksters! No wonder they were acting antsy yesterday!” Jaden said.

“I can’t wait to marry you and you can become Mrs. Michael Jackson,” Michael told her. “I can’t either! Let’s do this soon!” said Jaden. “Okay. Do you want a wedding?” he asked. Jaden thought about it for a second. “Yeah, I sort of do. It doesn’t have to be big. It’s just that I’ve always wanted to have one. “That’s fine with me,” Michael told her. “But we have to keep this as low key as possible, we don’t need the media in our business more than they already are….maybe we should marry in another country.” Jaden thought about it briefly. “Windmere Island! In the Bahamas! I have a private estate out there. It would be hard for anyone to find us and it’s beautiful! We’ve just gotta find a way to get our guest to come without actually telling them.” “Okay, I think this could work,” Michael told her as he sat up. “Let’s aim to marry around the second weekend of January, right before we both go back to doing work. And we can honeymoon there too. I’ve never really had a vacation in the Bahamas.” “Perfect.” Jaden said as she typed profusely in her Blackberry.

 “Oh my God, I have to find the most perfect dress, you a suit, we have to plan the colors and the food, and of course the kids have to be in it, so we have to find them things to wear…there’s so much we have to do!” “Calm down, that’s why we have people we trust to help with this.” Michael laughed. “You’re right.” Jaden exhaled. “There’s also one more thing that I have to do. I need to talk to my mother in person. I think it’s time. Especially now that I am about to be married.” Michael looked at her. “Are you sure?” Jaden nodded. “Yeah. I think so. It’s now or never and I need to get these things off of my chest. I’ll fly out there tomorrow.” “If you need me to come with you I will,” Michael told her. Jaden shook her head. “I think I’ll be fine.” “I’m crossing that bridge when I get to it. But for now, I want to celebrate being your fiancé…well for a short time at least!” Michael kissed her passionately, his soft lips taking Jaden aback. “I can’t believe I’ll have all of this to enjoy for myself,” she playfully poked him. “Trust me, there will be that and plenty more….Mrs. Jackson,” Michael said as he gently slapped her on the behind as they went back inside. Merry Christmas indeed.