- Text Size +

Chapter 7: Opportunity Knocks

The next afternoon, Devin took Jaden to lunch as promised, at a very nice restaurant. He spared no expenses when he came down to it. He once learned that in order for a person to get what they want, they have to set the tone right. It was true he had done Jaden a huge favor by finding her and allowing her to work with Michael Jackson. However, it was her uncanny talent that could get both of them the recognition they both wanted. “So darlin’….I wanna make a proposition for you,” he said as they ate their food. Jade raised her eyebrows in suspense, hoping it was another big break in her sudden exciting life. “How would you feel doing a demo? We could hook around seven tracks. Then from there, we can shop around at different record labels so everyone can finally see your talents.” “I humph ift!!…” Jade said with a mouth full of food. “Huh? Didn’t quite get that,” Devin laughed. Jaden swallowed her food, embarrassed. The Chicken Alfredo was divine; she wasn’t used to quality cooking. “I meant to say, I Love It! I love the idea. This is exactly what I’ve been wanting since I got here.”

“Yeah, I know. I believe in what you have Jaden; you are too talented to not further your career and get your name out there.” He straightened himself up in his chair. “I also would like to know how you felt if I were your manager.” Jaden looked at him and found a very assured and focused man. “I would like that. I would like that a lot.” She finally said. “I mean, you’ve helped me so much already…you gave me the opportunity of a lifetime to work with Michael Jackson.” She looked away, smiling at the thought of having spent time with the handsome King of Pop and discovering his genuine personality. She looked back at him. “I just don’t understand though….why me? Why do you want to help me out so bad?” Devin leaned over, folding his hands. “Honestly? I want out from Sony. After I’ve seen what Mottola is doing to Michael and other artists on the label, I don’t want to work with a person like him anymore. I also want to make a bigger name for myself in the music industry; I know good music and good talent, hence that’s how we crossed paths. I think working with you would be the perfect chance for us both to get what we want. Me, a respectable career and you, the fame you want and need. So yeah, it’s for my personal reasons, but it’s more for you.”

Jaden sighed, letting what all her just said sink in. She appreciated his honesty with her, but at the same time wondered if he would consume himself into his personal growth more than her own. “Okay, I can respect that,” Jaden finally said. “But you have to understand, that I’m all about my music and there’s certain things that I won’t do. In a way, I would like us to be business partners, and consult one another before we do certain things. And most importantly, there must be an open, professional line of communication at all times in order to make this thing work.” Devin smiled, impressed with her mannerisms. She was all about business, which was very important in the industry. “I agree, 100 percent Miss Jaden. Do we have ourselves a deal?” he stuck out his hand. Jaden thought about what she was getting into. There’s nothing to lose, she thought as she shook his hand, consummating their deal. “Okay Mr. Devin, you’ve got your first client.” Devin raised his glass. “To us, may we get what we deserve,” Jaden clanked her glass. “Cheers to that indeed.”