- Text Size +

September 5, 1986 – 6:53 pm

I walk into the studio, where I saw Michael and Quincy talking and another guest, by the name of Tatiana is here. Not only is she 'here' but she's all over my man's back. Jeez, why the hell is she here? Why is she still up on him? Didn't he talk to her about that a few days ago? Either something's going on that I don't know about or people just don't know when to stop.

"Hey Kitty!" Quincy greets me he sees me walking in and Michael waves and Tatiana just looks at me like I don't belong here. I wave back at them, hoping this will go smoothly since my nervousness is kicking in. Michael walks over to me, while shrugging Tatiana off.

"I recorded this intro for the song, last night in bed." Michael informs me.

"Really?"

"Yes, want to hear it?"

"I'd love to."

"Turn it on Quincy" Quincy turns the intro on as I heard Michael say these specific words:

"I just want to lay next to you for a while

You look so beautiful tonight

Your eyes are so lovely

Your mouth is so sweet

A lot of people misunderstand me

That's because they don't know me at all

I just want to touch you

And hold you

I need you

God I need you

I love you so much"

Hearing that just blew me away, it was amazing and sultry. I fell in love with it, I wonder who he's talking about in this intro…

"That was for me Michael wasn't it?" Tatiana asks out of nowhere.

"Um…" Michael answers like he's unsure.

"It must have been for me, who else? I'm your girlfriend." Tatiana brags. I glare at her thinking gosh; I knew something was up between these two. The fact they made up and are cool is too suspicious considering, they never really officially broken up. I don't care if she's doing it to make me jealous, she wouldn't blurt out something like that if it didn't have any truth towards it.

"Oh really, huh? Congratulations." I told Tatiana sarcastically. Quincy drags me into a corner and leans forward to my ear.

"Remember cat, M doesn't stand for Michael. It stands for Money. Keep that in your head and today will go smoothly." I sigh as I thought this is going to be a long night. I bet.

"I'll try." I look over at Tatiana and I see she hasn't given Michael a breather, not once since I came in. But it doesn't seem to bother him, right now she's whispering sweet nothings in his ear and he's smiling delightfully. He's having the time of his life; he's only talked to me once about the song, nothing personal. Not even I love you; it isn't like Quincy doesn't know about us. Why doesn't Tatiana know? Maybe she'd back off a bit? Or maybe she wouldn't? All I know is that it hurts to see her here all up on him like that, why is she even here? Is she recording anything? Gosh, knows I just feel like walking out, and never coming back again. But I can't. I'll just hate myself for giving up this huge opportunity.

"Okay so were ready to record?"

"Yes sir…" Michael says he puts the head phones over his head. I slowly but nervously walk over to Michael as I see Tatiana rubbing his back.

"Oh Baby I can't wait to see you sing our song!" Tatiana says excitingly, as she jumps in a pace.

"Yeah…" Michael replies. Michael sure is cold isn't he? He hasn't really looked at me much since I came in, it's like he's not even acknowledging the fact I am here. I feel so out of place and uncomfortable, I just wish this feeling would go away, I wish Tatiana would go away too.

"Are you alright Kitty?" Michael asks.

"Yeah, just a little nervous."

"Aw, I'll hold your hand, if you'd like…." I felt like declining him when he said that, I didn't really want him to touch me, since he has 'Tatiana' all over him, and I didn't want any of that on me. But we held hands anyways after I put my head phones over my ears and take a deep breath.

"Okay, are we all set?" Quincy asks.

"Perfect." Michael answers enthusiastically.

"Couldn't be better…." I answer sarcastically. Gosh knows, I'm just dreading to leave, all I can think about is leaving. I find it hard that Michael can just stand there and smile like he's not hurting me, or what Tatiana is saying doesn't hurt at all. It hurts to know he has her back into the picture. It hurts that she's up on him, whispering into his ear, being loving and affectionate. Why he can't tell her to back off because I'm around? It hurts he can just smile and look at me, as if there's nothing going on. Nothing. I feel empty inside, like I can just break down. I'd be the happiest woman alive if I didn't have to see Michael's face ever again.

"Okay let's go!" Quincy cheers as he turns on the music, and after a few seconds of the instrumental introduction, Michael begins singing.

"Each Time the Wind Blows

I hear your voice so

I call your name

Whispers at morning

Our love is dawning

Heaven's glad you came

You know how I feel

This thing can't go wrong

I'm so proud to say

I love you

Your love's got me high

I long to get by

This time is forever

Love is the answer"

From there it was my turn, I took a quick deep breathe and close my eyes and sing.

"I hear your voice now

Youuuu areeeee myyyyyyyyy choooiiieeveee nowwww"

Quincy stopped the recording very disappointed at me that I sung my part awfully. I gasped in embarrassment.

"What the hell was that, Cat?" Quincy asks with his hands on his hips. I just knew I was disappoint, but I did start off well….I have no idea what the hell happened right after that.

"Sorry Quincy…"

"Ha! You can't sing! BOOHOO!" Tatiana taunts me from behind.

"Hey bitch! Can you sing?" I ask while I step up to her.

"Nope."

"Yeah, so fuck off."

"Tatiana, I think you should leave…" Michael tells her.

"Alright I'm out…" Tatiana leaves the studio and I am furious. Everything seems to be going wrong.

"Quincy, don't be so hard on her, she started off perfectly. Maybe her nervousness got to her. Do some vocal warm up for a couple of minutes, Cat." Michael orders me, I turn to the corner of the room and do some hoots and a's, like I start off good, but as I go on I sound like a disaster. I wonder if the whole glass down my throat had anything to do with this…I hope this can be fixed. It has to be fixed, I hope all of my dreams aren't ruined, maybe it's just a one day thing maybe it's just nervousness. I practice breathing techniques trying to calm myself down but as time passes I begin to sweat and it's not hot in here, and anxiety and nervousness full my entire body off. Oh gosh, what if this is the unfixable?

"Kitty…maybe its nervousness. Try not to be so nervous" Michael tells me as he rubs my back.

"I can't help it…so many thoughts roaming my head, about this and then Tatiana and you…it's hard for me to focus. Maybe the time when LaToya tried to kill me has something to do with this?"

"Oh shoot….Maybe it does. But listen your voice isn't all gone. We can fix this. Want to try again?"

"I'm so scared…"

"Don't worry about it, everything will be okay..."

"Okay, are we going to sing it or not? I don't have time to waste now." Quincy complains from afar.

"Were going to try one more time." Michael answers he puts back on the headphones. I take another deep breath, putting back my head phones.

"Let's start with Kitty's part please." Michael orders. Quincy begins the music at my part as I begin to sing again:

"I hear your voice now

You are my choice now

Theeheh loovwvwee youuu brrrringggg"

I took the headphones off in frustration and just walked out of the studio. I decided to just give up, since I wasn't getting better.

"Kitty! You were getting better! Please, we can do this…it's fixable."

"You can't fix my voice, and you can't fix my heart. This was already broken, all at the same time."

"But Kitty…"

"Save it. She's your girlfriend, it was obvious. How she's here every time we go to the studio, and she's up on whispering sweet nothings in your ear, and you're smiling like you're enjoying yourself, not even paying me any attention or talking to me unless it had something to do with the song or my singing. You're keeping us a secret from her because obviously you're seeing her too. I've got you all figured out now Michael. All figured out, so I don't need any more excuses or explanations. Just leave me alone, okay?" I run away from him, and he follows me once again.

"Have you ever seen Tatiana and I slow dance huh?" Michael asks as he chases me.

"Have you ever seen us hug?"

"Have you ever seen us kiss?"

"Or Touch each other inappropriately?"

"Or even make love? Huh?"

"Why are you making Tatiana's words get the best of you? Why are you letting her ruin your confidence? And us ultimately?"

"Because Michael, it just wasn't what she said it's what I saw, it looks like you two have a thing for each other, weather the relationship is dead or not." I walk officially out of the studio. This time instead of a limo I rode my old friend, the motorcycle, Michael brought for me back in June. By the time I hopped on Michael was still chasing me, I drove off even before he reached five feet away from me. I just didn't want to hear it, I've heard too much. I'm way too stressed out and I need to be around someone who I knew could help take the stress away; Michael surely wasn't that person any longer.

September 5, 1986 – 9:50 pm

**Michael's POV**

I did it again. I hurt the woman I love once again. How long will it take until I just break Kitty into two? I'm not even doing this purposely, but somehow, I end up hurting her anyways. I have no idea what's Tatiana's problem, flirting it up with me, the moment she knows Kitty's in the room. Then making disrespectful remarks towards her, has she lost her mind? In the end this is my entire fault, why am I carrying Tatiana to the studio? Why have I've been visiting her often recently, seeing more of her then I have been of Kitty? Why am I just letting her walk all over my girlfriend? I don't know what's holding me back, but whatever it is, I needed to get over it.

"See Michael, were going to have to do something about Kitty…" Quincy explains to me.

"What do you mean?"

"Her voice isn't exactly the same voice I heard back in June. I guess all this summer loving got the best of her."

"I know, she had a fatal incident in her throat, two months ago it happened, she just learned how to speak properly not even a month ago. We just need to give her some time."

"Sometime? Michael, we don't have much time on our hands, 1987 is going to be here quicker than you can spin. Time is the last thing we can give."

"We have time, Quincy stop trying to rush everything in. She just needs a vocal coach; she can get it all back."

"Well I'll take your word for it Mike, and this is the deal, she gets a vocal coach and she gets better and five days from now she comes back we record this."

"Five days? Quincy, you aren't being reasonable. Five days isn't enough time."

"She's going to need about eight hours of training a day or we can just replace her."

"We aren't going to replace her Quincy, no way in hell."

"Then, I don't know how you are going to fix her voice since she's clearly pissed at you once again. So that's another problem you have to deal with, and then get the voice thing down all in five days. It's going to be quite a struggle for you Michael."

"Give us more time…Give us like five weeks."

"Nope. Five days it is. And that's final. Good luck Mike."