- Text Size +

August 16, 1987

Dear Diary,
It's been almost a year since I've seen my ex-husband. Now that we're divorced and away from each other, life's become much easier, but those haunting encounters still come to my head every now and then. Because of this, I have started to go to therapy, hoping I can solve these issues. He has caused so much damage and heartbreak in my life and I've never felt so low. Not only was this a problem but my daughter was currently without a father. A father to support her throughout life, spend quality time with and tell her the words, "I love you" or "You're my princess." I was the person she could rely on now that he was gone, for the person he used to be was as well. I guess that's what you call a deadbeat. 

Sincerely, Tatiana


Pulling away from the wooden desk, Tatiana closed her journal and stuffed it into the top drawer. It was after ten and by now Leila was fast asleep. Before she got ready to do the same, she decided to go check on her for the night.

Once she made it to her room, she headed towards her bed then took a seat beside her. A calm smile inched across her lips as she reached up and stroked a few strands of hair away from her face. "I love you so much...", were the words that Tatiana softly whispered. Her eyes then darted over to her ears. She got them pierced that day. The light fragments caught the stone and sparkled just a bit from the moonlight provided in the room. Positioning her hand on Leila's back, Tatiana leaned down and planted a soft kiss atop of her forehead.

After spending a bit of time looking over her and her every action, she was in awe at how beautiful she was and how fortunate she was to have her in her life. God, she wanted to give her so much, protect her from anything that would harm her and love her until there wasn't any more affection to deliver. That was her baby girl.

****

The following day...

Tatiana's POV

I attended a photo-shoot along with my very close friend or sister as I should say, Camille. Since it was a Saturday morning, my sister Pam stayed at home with Leila. In the course of this time of the season, my agenda had always grown full of activity. This deeply affected my time with my own daughter, and I knew she hated it. At times, I had wished I never got involved with modeling, but it was one of my passions. It was a dream to live and without a doubt, I could get out and have a successful career by following this path.

Looking up, I carefully watched the stylist pull apart my dark brown curls with her fingertips, making them more voluminous. During that time, I observed my features in the mirror. The light from the bulbs that outlined the vanity had hit my caramel-toned face at every angle, causing it to beautifully stand out. With a raise of my hand, I gently placed my fingertips on my right cheek. There, they calmly ran along a scar that instantly gave me flashbacks of those atrocious happenstances with my abusive ex. It was faded, but I was still able to notice it.

Not only did I have thoughts or flashbacks about him but dreams, nightmares. They were vivid, popping out at me, causing me to remember all of those hard times and the precise details of it. At times, it prevented me from living my life, but with all my might, I tried my best to ignore it and the guy who had done so much destruction in my life.

Taking a deep breath, I shifted my eyes down to my lap, fidgeting with my fingers. My hair was ready to go, all I needed now was to get my face beat.

"Good luck on the set, Tatiana. My job here is done for now..", Elizabeth lightly tapped me on the shoulder and winked at me before walking off. My makeup artist, Trish soon made her way over to where I was with a smile so pleasant, greeting me with a sweet "Hello."

I grinned then looked back into the mirror, waiting for her to begin. "Oh Trish, am I glad to se.."

"Tatiana!" a merrily Camille stepped in with her hands up in the air. I could tell she was excited to see me.

She was absolutely stunning. The shoot had been for a lingerie line and the agency thought it'd be a wonderful idea if we did this one together.

Alana and I go way back, back to where we were just teens, trying to get our break in the big apple—New York City to be exact. People from all around the world visited this place for business, and I knew I'd get somewhere if I traveled out there myself. Camille was the person who introduced me to the world of modeling and I couldn't turn it down, so it would've  been the right move if I brought her along. We were motivated and believed heavily in our dreams, and look where that state of mind put us.

Picking up one of my curls, Camille fixated her gaze on me in the glass mirror. "I love your hair, it looks gorgeous! When are you going to donate some of this to me? Huh?"

With a gentle laugh, I glance over at her reflection then turn my body around, reaching my arm over her shoulder to give her a warm hug. "Not anytime soon, you know how much I love my hair."

"I know, but it never hurts to ask at times. I might get lucky one day", a small giggle escapes her lips and I join in. "I'm so excited about this shoot, Ti. It's been so long since we've done one together," she carefully wraps her arms around my neck from behind then closes her eyes with a pristine smile. This was my best friend, if no one else was there, she would be.

"I agree, I agree...", I nodded. "But I don't know about all of this anymore.. I need to make up time with my daughter. Now that I've been so busy, I don't see her as much as I should. I feel terrible."

With a nod, Camille sits down in a chair beside me. "Yeah, but this is your career. Your dream. It's getting you places, girl! Just take a break every now and then. I'm sure it will make a difference."

"You're right, I guess. I'll just have to think about it. I need to see where all of this will take me", I bite down on my lower lip softly as the artist's brush swiftly moved around my face.

"Bigger and better things...", Camille responded.

******

Later on...

******

"Alright! Give me glam! Show them legs dahlings!" our photographer Tony exclaimed with such attitude and liveliness.

I couldn't help but break out into a fit of giggles while listening closely to his every command, yet I gave a dissimilar pose each and every second. This time, I placed my hand on Camille's shoulder and lifted up my leg, breaking out that beautiful smile which many loved me for.

"Oh, that was beautiful," he soon added on. "Let's take a break. Fantastic work divas."

"Thanks, Tony," Hope spoke as she walked off the set, now messing with the button on her jeans since it was unloose. I walked beside her and took a deep breath. "This is going great so far, don't you agree?"

"Why yes, it is...", I said before approaching my chair to take a seat, a smile still resting along my dolled up face. Camille did the same, but instead checked her hair and make-up in the mirror.

"So, Tati... I wanted to tell you about something. It's an incredible opportunity, and I know you will love it", she reached into her purse that rested on the counter then searched around for an item. Eventually, she pulled out a folded paper and extended her arm out to hand it to me. I raise an eyebrow, and take it away before unraveling it.

"An A list celebrity is looking for somebody to do a role in their video and you just seemed to have the perfect image for it, so I had to let you know about it. It's for the main lady role.. look who is searching!"

With a soft giggle, I open the paper and read a few words before coming across the artist's name..

Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson!? I was wide-eyed in astonishment. Ever since he was a child, I heavily respected him and admired his artistic work and abilities. That strong passion I had for him was still there as well, he was perfect in my eyes, and it showed whenever I watched a video or heard his voice on the radio. I'm sure everyone has their celebrity crush and Michael was certainly mines.

"Soooooo... What do you think? Ya interested?", Hope asked suddenly. "I know how big of a fan you are so I had to fill you in."

"I... I don't know... Will I even make the cut?", I stare heavily down at the paper as my lips press together in fear. "This is such a big step. I don't want to mess up. What if I fall out? This is Michael Jackson for gods sake"

Shaking her head in disbelief, Hope placed a hand on my knee and tried her best to keep back her laughter. "Are you kidding me? You got it all. You can dance, model, and even act. You're beautiful! You'll fit the role perfectly. Just have to try your best and see what will come out of it Ti. And yeah, he's Michael Jackson, but he's a human being like the rest of us. Don't think about it too much. I'm sure he'll take interest.."

Lifting my head, I glanced over at her then to myself in the mirror. She was right, I was a beautiful woman and had so much to offer. But there was another side of me, unsure on what to do because of my nerves taking over.

"Just give me one day. I'll have to think about it and then I will have an answer... Alright?"

Sighing, Camille nodded then rested back in her chair. Her finger flicked at a strand that hung in front of her face. "Okay...but time is ticking. You can do it, girl. Believe"


Chapter End Notes:

 Tatiana's bestfriend