- Text Size +

-TATIANA'S POV-

I was almost to the building where the rehearsals were taking place and in full panic mode since I was running so late.

"Excuse me...Sorry!", I say to each person passing me by as I struggle my way through the thick crowd, each pounding the pavements of L.A. Hopefully, he would understand my situation.

There I was, still getting used to the city. I just moved out here a few months ago. Before that, I resided in New York City.

I loved New York. It was a multiracial and multicultural city and for the first time, I had fit right in. I was no longer the odd one, and soon I was smitten with the commercial element of showbiz.

I always remember being picked on in school. Deep down part of me felt guilty for loathing school when my parents were both teachers. But I still hated it. It was impossible to concentrate. I can recall a moment when a student had shoved me against the wall.

"You ain't black, you ain't white, what color you is anyway? I bet you do not even know." When I replied, "I'm the color you see I am," she instantly blew up.

After those words had come rushing out of my mouth, I prepared myself to die, but I had spoken with confidence. To my shock and pleasant surprise, she had walked away and said, "You think you're a smart ass." But I was only telling the truth. She asked me what color I was, not what race.

To me, color meant pigment, not race.

The experience opened my eyes to the differences in people for the first time. I noticed the kids at my school were either black or white. I was the oddball. I learned the black kids hated that I was so close to looking white. The girls especially hated it. I guess they felt I could pass for white if I wanted to. However, some of the white kids gave me an odd look, like I did not fit in with them at all. Some experience, aye?

Reaching into my coat pocket that held a piece of paper carrying the address, I skim it before looking up at the building number I had come across.

"276...this is it," a smile emerged on my lips as I motion towards the double doors. Two tall, heavy-set men stood on each side. I could understand why they were there; Michael always had security with him. As I looked around, I had spotted several men standing along with cameras. Of course, I knew who they were there for. The paparazzi were very invading. It was surprising to me how they found out about every place a celebrity would be heading. These people seriously had no lives.

"Hello, my name is Tatiana. Tatiana Thumbtzen. I'm supposed to meet up with Michael here. For rehearsals? I'm the leading lady for his upcoming video", were the words that rushed out of my mouth. The bodyguard on the right who was wearing black shades responds, "I'll need to see some I.D. miss."

Oh how wonderful, more time to lose.

Reaching into the pouch of my duffle bag, I felt around for my wallet until I finally came across it. Opening it, I quickly took out my I.D. and held it up towards him. My heart was continuing to race as my eyes peered down at my watch again. It was almost 8:30!

"Okay, come right in Ms. Thumbtzen", he responds by opening up the door. I rush in and scamper down the hall until I had come across the room that was alive with instinctive chatter.

-MICHAEL'S POV-

"Look, if she's not here in the next—"

I turn my head, and my eyes darted towards the door that flew open. There she was, I could tell she had been rushing. Her breathing was audible from across the room.

"Well, she's here now," I told my good pal, Leland, who was the casting director of the video. "Hey, she's new. Just give her a chance."

Of course, I was a tad bit frustrated considering it was already a half an hour later but then again, I understood her circumstances. I was behindhand at times and had people waiting for hours. But hey, I was a busy man.

"I'm just...I feel terrible. It was hard for me to find a parking spot, I wasn't too familiar with this area", she walks towards me, utterly shamefaced. "Yell all you want, I deserve it."

Viewing her attentively, I shake my head with a cheeky grin. The sweat appearing on her forehead and chest made me bite my lower lip. Whenever I was face to face with a beautiful woman, I became awestricken.

My eyes shift towards the floor for a short moment, "But you're here now, right? That's all that matters, Tat—"

"—Just try not to let it happen again, miss. We have deadlines", Leland interrupts in a stern tone. I nudged him and gave him a look.

"I-I promise. It won't happen again! Thank you for understanding", she steps back then turns away. I watch her as she walks off to a corner to drop off her belongings.

Leland raises an eyebrow as he turns his attention towards me. Soon, he wanders off and exits the room.

Exhaling deeply, I turn on my heel and get a good look at each dancer that attended the session, "Alright, that's it for today, guys. We'll meet up tomorrow at the same time. You all did an excellent job."

"Mike, you da man!", one of them called out. I laugh and raise my hand as a gesture of appreciation.

Soon, each guy walks out and then the room contained just her and me. She was now in a different set of clothing, everything looked right and fitting, and I could not help but stare. The gal had a petite body but was curvy from the waist down to below.

Turning my attention away and down to the shoes on my feet, I rubbed the back of my neck and spoke, "Joe will be here any minute. He's the director of this short film and will be guiding you."

She turns and walks towards me, her hands holding one another.

"Oh, well I thought you would be the one doing that. You *are* a mastermind."

A pleasant smile floated across my face, but I raised my hand and placed it over my mouth to hide it. "Thank you, but I can't do everything on my own," I responded in a soft tone. "He's just going to tell you what to do and where to go. It will be simple."

-TATIANA'S POV-

Standing near his side, I placed my hands behind my back and took a slow deep breath. Everything still seemed so surreal to me. Being in the room with him just had my nerves tingling. I did not want to mess up; I wanted to leave with him being impressed.

"Sounds good to me, Mr. Jackson"

He turned his head to look at me, "Michael, remember?" My cheeks suddenly reddened as I nodded, "Yes, yes, I'm sorry."

"Hello, hello people. Nice to see you both here", a guy comes into the room with both of his hands in his pockets. He was one of the judges from the audition. Raising my hand, I wave and say 'Hello'.

"It is great to see you again, Mr. Pytka"

"Please call me Joe. And don't call Michael, Mr. Jackson. He hates that. If wondering, I overheard you guys in the hall."

I glance over at Michael, his cheeks were slightly red. This made me smile as I looked down to the flat surface.

"Thanks for making that clear," I responded.

"Alright! Well let's get started, shall we?" Michael brought his hands together, making a clap then looked into the mirror. His eyes darted towards mines, causing me to freeze up. Looking at Joe, I nodded and awaited for his instruction.