- Text Size +

(morning-8:15 a.m)

 

The next day, Alyssa was getting dressed for work, but she was not feeling at her best. She had a hard time sleeping. She hoped she wasn't coming down with insomnia, too. She spent half the night worrying about Michael. By the time she did doze off, it was about time to get up. She was even tempted to call in sick and take the day off from work because she didn't think she would be able to stay focused, and besides, her heart just wasn't in it. She wanted to stay home and keep the kids company so they wouldn't have to be alone. She needed time to deal with the overwhelming stress of Michael's accident and the media circus she saw while exiting the hospital.

 

Shortly after Lissie left the hospital with the children the previous evening, they had started crying again. They already missed their dad, and so did she. Although she had just met him about six weeks prior to this, she felt really empty without his presence since she had gotten so accustomed to it. Instead of going on the internet or calling her friend Shannon, she kept the children's company by watching the Disney channel with them and reading with them when it was their bedtime.

 

‘But then again, work may be just what I need to get my mind off this madness. Hopefully I will be able to function and Stacey will be able to bear with me if I cannot.' Lissie wondered if the blonde even knew about what happened. If she didn't, she would have to explain why she looked and felt like hell, which she didn't particularly care to do. Making up her mind, Lissie grabbed her keys and purse and headed downstairs. She had thoughts about skipping breakfast or at least stopping at McDonald's for a cup of coffee. She wasn't expecting to see Kai and even if she were there, she didn't have much of an appetite.

 

But when Lissie walked past the kitchen whilst walking to the dining room, there Kai was, dressed in her apron and pouring glasses of almond milk for Michael's children, for when they came down for breakfast. ‘What is Kai doing here? Not that I'm not happy to see her, but Michael is in the hospital and I didn't think the security or assistant would have called her into work under such circumstances.  She hid her surprise and said, "Good morning, Kai. "

 

"Good morning. How are you holding up?"

 

"I'm trying to hang in there, but it is so hard." Lissie certainly hoped the stress from the turn of events was not showing too much.

 

"I understand the feeling. But it is a relief that the news of Mr. Jackson's death was just a rumor. When I first heard that he was pronounced dead, I was shocked. If he had died, I would have been crushed. "

 

Lissie lowered her eyes. ‘I should have known the tabloid reporters would have tried to pull such a thing...anything for money.' Sure it angered her a bit, but at the same time she didn't expect much from them. After all, throughout the years Michael became successful, they had done everything in their power to hurt his reputation and make his life a living hell. They knew if they did that, they would get lots of money. Unbeknownst to her, justice would be served for this. She just wanted to know more about the pandemonium the day before, as she only saw the crowd, and she was inside the whole time. She didn't know what was said, with the exception of the fans shouting that they loved Michael.  "Same here. He has done a lot for me ever since I've met him."

 

"So I've noticed."

 

"You know something Kai? I was surprised to see you this morning," Lissie admitted.

 

"Oh?"

 

"Yeah, I didn't expect to see you here, since Michael is in the hospital. I mean, I thought you would have been given a vacation."

 

"Not to worry. I will see to it that you and his children are taken care of, even in his absence."

 

Lissie thought that felt nice. Though her cooking skills were not too bad, they were still not the best, though she could manage. It was good that Michael trusted Kai to work even without him...but then again, it was something that was expected of employees at most jobs, to show up for work even when the boss was absent. She knew that all too well.

 

Just then, Paris, Prince and Blanket came downstairs. They were a little surprised to see Kai there, too, but they were very happy to see her.

 

 "Kai! You came today!" cried Prince happily.

 

 "Of course I did. I'll always be here for all of you." Kai had grown extremely fond of the Jackson kids, as well as Lissie. She was glad Michael rehired her.

 

"So how are you this morning?"

 

"I miss Daddy," answered Paris.

 

"Me, too," agreed Blanket in a small voice.

 

"Yeah. I wonder how he is doing," said Prince. He sure hoped his father would awaken from his coma soon. It was really hard seeing him in that condition.

 

 The chef gave an understanding look. "We all miss him. Let's keep praying that he makes it. "

 

"How about we work on a Get Well Soon basket after I get home from work?" Lissie suggested.

 

"Yeah!"

 

Lissie knew the kids would like that. And it would show how much they care, plus she was sure Michael would appreciate it, whenever he woke up.

 


 

Abigail had just come out of surgery not too long ago. It went as well as a transplant could be expected. She was now resting in the recovery room. She really wanted to go to see Michael, as she, like the other patients had heard the news about him being brought to the hospital the day before, but she wasn't strong enough to go anywhere yet. She was extremely worried about him, though, as she had heard the commotion outside. She wasn't really sure what happened to him. All she knew was that people were outside chanting his name, that they loved him, and screaming for him to get well soon, which gave her the impression that something terrible had happened. She hadn't put it past the media to create a circus out of this. She was dying to know how he was presently, so her mother had told her that she would find out for her which room the pop superstar was in, and how he was doing.

 

That sounded good enough to Abby since she wasn't sure she could trust the media and her mother didn't like her to listen to media coverage anyway. She hoped he was all right and that he would survive from this. She really looked up to him as a humanitarian, and as a person. ‘After all, had it not been for him, I would have probably been dead by now.'

 

It was maddening not being strong enough to go anywhere.  Suddenly an idea came to the red head. There was some stationery paper and a pen on the table that she had asked her mother to get for her in case she wanted to write. She thought about writing a letter to Michael, as she didn't see how she would be able to see him before he was discharged from the hospital. ‘Yes, that's what I'll do. It is one way to thank him and wish him well, as well as give him an update on my progress.' That was one thing that didn't require much exercise.

 

Abby got a sheet of paper. She picked up her pen and wrote:

 

Dear Michael,

 

I have just come out of the operation. I made it through okay. I still have to take steroids, though. Just wanted to thank you for everything you have done for me. I couldn't have gotten this treatment without your help. You mean the world to me. You have given me strength when I didn't have any. I'm so sorry you were hurt. I am hoping you will be able to pull through, and I am sure you will. You are a warrior. Get well soon! I love you from the bottom of my heart!

 

All the best, Abby

 

Just then, Abby's mom reentered the room.

"So, how is Michael?" asked Abby.

"He's still unconscious. He's in serious but in stable condition," Mrs. Churchill answered.

 

"I see." Abby was hoping Michael would have come out of the coma by now, but as long as his condition was stable she could live with that. "I have just finished writing him a thank you/get well soon note. I want him to know how much I appreciate what he did."

 

"Oh, that's kind of you. And you just reminded me of what I should do as well."

 

At that moment, a doctor came into the room with a steroid needle. It was time for Abby's medication. "Starting tomorrow, I'm going to hook you up to an IV machine to see how you respond to that particular treatment," he declared.

 

Abby fought the urge to shudder. She used to have such a fear of needles and had been forced to get over the fear ever since she was diagnosed with the SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus), as most treatments involved needles. And even now she wasn't completely comfortable with the idea. Mrs. Churchill was proud of her for being brave about this. She concluded that Michael was beginning to have an influence on her...and it was a good one.

 


 

The day at work seemed to drag by, but finally it ended. Alyssa was surprised that she functioned as well as she did. She didn't expect that she would be lucid and conscious under the circumstances, which was why she had wanted to stay home in the first place. Of course, she did think and worry about Michael every now and then, but she wasn't the wreck she thought she would be. And Stacey did spend time comforting her, which she appreciated. In fact, she even thought the media was a disgrace for what they did, and told Lissie to send Michael her get well wishes when she went to visit him. She thought she owed him that, since he was so nice to her when she met him.

 

"See you Monday, Stacey," said Lissie, getting her brief case.

 

"See ya. Call me if you need anything or if you just want some company."

 

"I might do that," Lissie called over her shoulder as she let herself out. She wasn't sure how long it would be before Michael's absence really got to her. She was dealing pretty well so far, but it didn't really sink in yet. She could only deal with it for so long. She was bound to break down sooner or later. She nearly did at the hospital, but was trying to be strong for the kids. And if it were not for them, she probably would have stayed at Anastasia's house longer, since she would not have been in a rush to get home. But she promised that she would help them put together a Get Well Soon basket. ‘I am sure they want it done as soon as possible, and I cannot say I blame them. ‘ She didn't like the idea of leaving them alone in the first place. She decided to make a quick stop at the floral shop before going home.

 

 Blanket was sitting at the table writing something, and Paris was leaning over his shoulder. She was trying to help him make a get well card...at least with the writing part. She was making sure he spelt the words correctly.

 

Prince walked over to his younger siblings, holding a piece of paper. It was a picture he had just finished drawing. "Hey sis, look at what I just finished drawing for Dad," he said.

 

 "Hang on just a second, Blanket. You're doing great so far." Paris took a look at the drawing. It was a picture of Prince's favorite Star Wars characters. "Looks great. Daddy will love it."

 

"Glad you think so. So what are you gonna do for him?"

 

"Write him a poem. I'm gonna work on it after I am done helping Blanket." Paris had also recently purchased a necklace that had a pendant in the shape of a heart. It was the type that could be separated. She thought about giving half of it to her daddy so it would be like a piece of her was with him while he was in the hospital.

 

"Cool. I hope I get to read it. You're so great at poetry, I am sure it will be good."

 

"That you will! And thank you."

 

Prince left Paris to continue helping Blanket.

 

 Just then, the door opened and shut, then a, "Paris, Blanket and Prince, I'm home!" was heard. It was Lissie, who had just come home.

 

"Hi, Lissie!"

 

"I'll be with you in a little while!"

 

 "Okay!"

 

 Lissie was dying to know all the details of the chaos the day before, about the media frenzy and how her Facebook friends were handling it. She turned on her laptop and went onto Facebook. Her friends' status ranged from concern regarding Michael's slight catastrophe, grief that he was pronounced dead, confusion over whether he really died or not, and delight that he was still alive and expected to make a recovery. They were also furious that the media pulled something like this, but at the same time it didn't really surprise them. Most of them were so angry that they swore. She didn't blame them, but she had to witness what was said with her own two ears, even though she would be just as angry as her friends were.

 

'I so hope I don't regret this,' thought the young woman as she searched for videos of the news. There were quite a few of them. She clicked on the one titled "Michael Jackson Dies at age 50 from Unspecified Injury" and watched. As she watched, a feeling of displeasure filled her. ‘My Lord! Some people have no shame!'  She needed not say how far from the truth it was because it pretty much spoke for itself. By the end of the video, she was stunned in a way, but not so much since she knew how the media was. Now she knew not to trust TMZ for news. She watched a couple of other videos where the news was given by other sources, and there was a bunch of confusion. And the fans crying broke her heart. She did, however, applaud the other stations for not confirming this news when they didn't know all of the facts. And of course, some people were rude about it and seemed angry that the singer had a great chance of survival. ‘Such losers. They need to get over themselves.' There were some fan made music videos that fans dedicated to him as a get well present and to show how much they cared for him. She took a look at some of them, and found them to be quite touching.

 

Now that the answers to Lissie's questions were answered, she wrote her message on the card, and brought it and the flowers downstairs. She was sure the children were making cards of their own, but she had wanted to get one that would be signed from all of them. She went into the den, and saw that the Jackson kids had started putting together the Get Well Soon basket. There were handmade cards, one of Michael's favorite novels, and half of a very beautiful heart shaped pendant.

 

 "Nice work so far. I bought some flowers and a card that will be from all of us," said Lissie.

 

"They're very pretty. What a thoughtful gift," commented Paris. She and her brothers were so juiced with working on the basket that they were able to take their minds off of missing Michael so much...at least for the moment.

 

 "I'm glad you think so." Lissie passed the card around for all 3 of them to sign. They did, and handed it back to her. She skimmed the messages quickly. They were all nice, but she liked Paris' note the best. It read: You're the best father ever. You mean the world to me. Please feel better. I don't know what I'd do without you. From your princess, Paris. There was a heart drawn next to her name.

 

Paris' message made tears start to well up in Lissie's eyes.  She quickly placed the card into the basket just in case the teardrop fell. She didn't want it to smudgy up the message. Luckily, she was able to fight them. "So is there anything else you would like to add to the basket?"

 

"No, that's it."

 

"All right. Let's go visit your daddy, then." She was so anxious to see if the superstar had improved since the previous day, and she was sure the kids would want to know as well. They had prayed so long and hard that he would.

 

 


 

Michael was lying in his hospital bed, still unconscious. He was steadily improving in spite of this. The bleeding brought on by the concussion had ceased. It was not in the area where he was burned in the Pepsi commercial those many years ago, and he was considered lucky for that. Doctors decided that if he kept it up, they would remove the oxygen mask as early as the next morning. Until then, they would continue to monitor his progress.

 

 Just then, Lissie entered the room with Prince, Paris and Blanket. He still looked pretty much the same to them...but they held it together, even though it was hard to see him like that. Lissie and the Jackson children gathered around Michael's hospital bed. Paris went first. "Oh Daddy, I love you very much, and I miss you," she said to his comatose form. She reached into the basket and took out the second half of the pendant. She looked to see how she would be able to get the heart on him. She really wanted to put it around his neck, but she didn't see how she would be able to. She didn't want to move him from his position. So she settled on putting it on his wrist. Lissie watched her do this. She had wondered what the heart was doing in there, now she knew. She thought it was a very sweet thing to do.

 

"Now you know that a part of me will be with you while you're here," said Paris. "Please get better soon."

 

‘Aww.'  Once again, Lissie had to fight back tears. She always felt deeply about beautiful, touching things.

 

"We love you, Daddy," said Prince.

 

 "Very much," added Blanket.

 

Lissie gently stroked the pop star's hair. "We have something for you from all of us. I hope you wake up soon so you could see it. You'll love it."

 

Michael wondered what was going on. He felt like he was in pitch blackness, yet he could still hear everyone. And the voices sounded familiar. They belonged to Lissie and his kids. It was kind of hard to follow everything that was being said, but what he did follow sounded so loving, so caring. ‘Where am I? And why does my head hurt?' The throbbing in his head was extremely vicious. His back ached too, which was no surprise to him, since it had bothered him a lot lately. He was only surprised that the pain was even more severe than he recalled. The hand that stroked his hair was a very soothing feeling. Slowly, he opened his eyes. He saw Lissie and his kids standing over him. They were so happy to see that he was awake.

 

"Look, everyone, he's awake!" stated the young woman.

 

"Oh, Daddy, you're going to be okay," said Paris, tears of joy coming to her eyes.

 

 "We were so scared you weren't going to make it," chimed Prince.

 

All the pop icon could do was blink, as the oxygen mask was still on his face. But that was okay. He had come out of his coma.