- Text Size +

“Thank you,” Michael said as he was given a towel to dry off with. “I think I did real good tonight.”

“The performance was fantastic.You really blew them away!” His sister Janet gave him a pat on the back. “But I don’t expect anything less from someone like you.”

They both laughed, then there were footsteps. The queen came towards them, Princess Amelia following her mother close behind. “Michael, that was absolutely wonderful. I especially loved your moonwalk. It must have taken you years to get that right.”

“It was fun teaching myself how to do it. One day I’ll offer you a dancing lesson, my lady.”

“Oh, no.” Regina laughed. “I have someone I’d like you to meet, Michael. This is Princess Amelia, my daughter.”

amelia

Michael had to admit that he was appalled by the princess’ stunning looks. She had beautiful brown eyes and long, curly brown hair. Every man in Metropolis dreamed of having Amelia as a wife. But all that Michael saw in this girl was someone he’d occasionally date. He didn’t want to marry her, and he didn’t understand why Regina was so eager to have them be together. 

“It’s nice to meet you,” Michael said and gently shook her hand.

Amelia smiled. “You have a very bright presence, Michael. And I love your outfit!”

“Thanks,” he said and laughed. “I like to look my best when I leave the house.” Michael and the princess had a bit of small talk, at which point Janet and the queen had left them to converse. But something caught his eye all of a sudden. A woman who was talking with Anthony Greendown. He and Anthony didn’t get along very well. Michael was a Human, but unlike the rest of his kind, he didn’t have a problem with Androids. Michael wanted both Humans and Androids to live in peace. Anthony wished that all Androids would be disassembled. He had the same mentality as his father.

Michael stared at the mysterious woman. She carried herself with such pride and brought forward a warm kindness that he couldn’t exactly describe. “Princess Amelia, will you excuse me for just a moment? I need to talk to someone.” As he walked towards the pair, he eyed Anthony. “Sir Greendown.”

“Sir Jackson. Is there something you need?”

Cindi stared at Michael in astonishment, but quickly wiped the stupid look off of her face.

“Oh, nothing that would concern you...” Michael looked at Cindi. “Hi, I’m Michael.”

“Mary Everluck. And I know who you are. I saw you onstage. You were very good.”

Michael tried to keep his face from becoming red. He was easily embarrassed. “Oh no, no. You’re too kind.” He chuckled and licked his bottom lip, something he did as a nervous habit. Cindi thought it was very cute.

“Don’t say that, it’s true. You have a lot of talent. More than I ever will, that’s for sure.”

“What do you like to do for fun, Mary?” Michael’s voice made Cindi’s internal wires vibrate.

“I sing and play my piano mostly. Sometimes I like to dance, but I’m not very good at it. I also read when I get the chance.”

“Wow, that’s awesome. You know, you sound very interesting. We should spend some time together, if you’d like.”

I would love that. “Um...well...”

“I could use more people like you around.” Michael produced something from his front pocket. “This is my card. You can give me a call whenever you want to. It was nice meeting you, Mary.” He nodded and smiled, then walked away, disappearing into the crowd. Cindi wished desperately for him to come back, but she knew he was a busy man.

“Well, that was rude of him to talk while we were talking, don’t you think?” Anthony sniffed and gulped down the rest of his champagne. “The nerve of some people.”

“Sir Greendown, I’m afraid I must leave now. It was nice talking to you.” Not really. Cindi pat Anthony on his shoulder and headed for the exit, leaving him speechless far behind. She felt a little bad for doing that to him, but after seeing Michael, nothing else interested her at the ball. Now all she wanted was to go home without being found out.

Cindi tried not to walk back home smiling too much, but she couldn’t help it. Michael had done something to her. Guards left and right were on parole, but to Cindi, they could have been as good as a brick wall. For the first few minutes, she was in bliss...until she saw something in the distance.

“Tell us where it is, you scum!” Two guards held an Android down on the dirty ground. “We know you have it!”

“I told you, I carry nothing except my own belongings.” He struggled and tried to stand up, but they pushed him back down again and searched his pockets, then slammed an electric club into his head, creating a huge dent.

“We’re taking you to the Commission. Let’s see if they believe you.” They roughly threw the poor Android into the Metropolis Police Department starship, then took off.

Cindi shook her head with anger. She forgot all about Michael’s sweetness and remembered that he was a Human. He was the enemy. She was sure Michael was nice, but it didn’t matter. His kind kept her kind from being free. She wouldn’t let anything or anyone get in the way of her ultimate goal, which was to have all Androids living lives the way Humans were able to everyday. I’m sorry Sir Jackson, but I can’t be friends with you, even though I’d like to. Still, even while thinking this, his card with his contact information remained on her desk for weeks...

* * *

“I guess I’ll be leaving now.” Michael looked around at the guests filing out of the queen’s mansion. The place was a mess. “It’s getting very late, and I must be heading back home. I had a great night.”

“Come back soon,” Amelia said, blinking her eyes a bit too much and grinning. 

Michael waved to the princess, then headed out like everyone else. Once he was inside his starship and told it to take him back home, he breathed out a sigh of relief. The night was now over, and he could relax. “God, what a party.”

“Did you have fun, Sir Michael?” His starship asked.

“Yeah, for the most part...” He looked out the window and down below at the people that looked small. Just over the hills was the area where the Androids resided. He’d never been there before, and was curious about going one day. But going there meant he needed to be extremely careful. Humans were allowed to go there if they pleased, but they couldn’t fraternize with the Androids unless on strict cordial terms.

Michael didn’t understand why this ongoing battle was going on. All he wanted was for everyone to live peacefully together. So what if the Androids weren’t real people? That shouldn’t have mattered. They deserved to be treated just as he did, and not any less.

When Michael arrived at his apartment in Sector Three, he collapsed in his large chair, his card key slipping from his hand and dropping on the floor. He was too tired to finish “Modern Times” now...but before he closed his eyes and slipped into unconsciousness, he muttered, “Mary...so beautiful...” then drifted off.