- Text Size +

They were being watched. The two were aware of it at the exact same time and broke apart to see who their admirer may be. No admirer, her mother, and she looked thoroughly irritated with the both of them. Michael knew that look, having received it frequently from his own mother and Christine shrank back a little like a child waiting for an inevitable scolding. But Cecil simply jabbed her thumb behind her and walked passed them to the garden.

"The laundry's done, Christine. You have bedding to be put back onto the bed." And then she continued on her way, muttering about impurities and '…should have made you wash them yourself. …disgusting.' Christine cringed and ducked by Michael to take care of the 'impurities' and restore them to their places. Michael followed closely but they parted when he went to use the restroom.

Strange. Michael didn't recall ever being nervous around an older woman other than his mother. But Cecil made him very nervous and he was surprised to find that he wanted desperately for her to like him and approve of him. Never before had he found himself so wrapped up with a girl, or her family, this quickly. Four days. For heaven's sake, it had only been four days. It felt like so much longer. And he really did like her very much.

Michael left the bathroom and returned to her room, only to walk in on her flipping sheets and comforters over her head, onto the bed and shouting 'Hiya!' at the top of her voice. She heard him and turned quickly, halting in a crouched ninja-like stance with her hands in front of her. And he instantly thought that he could very easily fall in love with this girl. She stood up straighter, shrugged to herself and smoothed the sheets on the bed.

"I think being around my family is causing me to regress a little." Michael chuckled at this and helped her to make the bed.

"I'm not complaining." He said. She grinned at him and offered a tiny shrug. He returned the smile with a little less enthusiasm.

"We have to go back to Neverland soon, Christine. I don't mean to sound selfish because I know your father is very very important to you, but I've canceled my rehearsals." Her eyes widened and she suddenly looked very guilty, but he stilled her stammering with one raised hand and a smile. "I'm not blaming you. I didn't have to come with you, now did I?" If she was trying to smile, she achieved more of a cringe, but nodded anyway.

"By tomorrow afternoon, I have to go. You can stay and I'll pay for your ticket back when you're ready, but I–" A tiny tinkling melody interrupted him and she really cringe this time, apologizing. When she saw that it was the hospital calling, he encouraged her to answer it and tried not to eavesdrop. He was interested in her father's wellbeing.

When she turned back to face him, her face was brighter, but she didn't smile. In fact, she looked worried and distressed. What an odd combination of expressions.

"Daddy's being released tonight." Michael smiled and hugged her fiercely. She returned it half-heartedly.

"That's great!" He exclaimed. She shrugged.

"It'll be nice to have him home, but…" She bit her lip and didn't meet his eyes. He saw that hers were gathering moisture and he had the sudden urge to kiss her again and make everything better. He didn't. He waited for her to speak again. "It means that there's no more that they can do for him. They're sending him home to die."