- Text Size +
"I apologize in advance for anything stupid that comes out the mouth of anyone in my family." I told Leif while adjusting the collar of his shirt. Tonight Michael and Brooke were having their rehearsal dinner at The New York Palace Hotel. The wedding was tomorrow afternoon. As much as I didn't want to be in attendance tonight I had promised that both Leif and I would be there. After all, I was the maid of honor so it was certainly my duty to be there when the bride needed me. To be honest, I will be very happy when all this is over.

Leif smiled. "They can't be that bad." He replied "Oh but they are." I replied looking myself over in my compact mirror. "Well you came out the bunch so there's hope for the rest." He declared while putting an arm around me. I blushed . Ugh! Why did he always have to say the right things?? Couldn't he just slip up and say something stupid just once??

The taxi come to a stop of the ritzy hotel. Leif paid the cab fair and helped me out of the taxi. "In total honesty, how do I look?" I asked as we entered the hotel. I was a little out of my comfort zone since this was a formal affair. I opted for this royal blue silk gown with a plunging neckline."Perfect." He replied grabbing hold of my hand. I asked the receptionist at the desk about the dinner and she kindly led us to the right room. When we arrived, the room was lively. The sounds of Louis Armstrong blasted through the speakers and overly dressed guest stood around sipping wine and talking amongust themselves. I was surprised at how many people were in attendance. Some of them I didn't know. I was actually kind of relieved when Brooke spotted me in the crowd.

"Hey Erin! Leif! I'm glad you guys made it!" She exclaimed walking up to us. She was wearing this elegant, silk, champagne colored floor length gown. Her hair was done up in an elegant bun. As always she looked strikingly gorgeous. "This is quite the party sis! You did well." I declared. Brooke blushed. "Well, I did my best." She replied. "Hey honey! We just got another beautiful gift." Came Michael voice as he walked up behind Brooke, wrapping his arms around her waist. His eyes instantly fell on me. Well more like my chest but never the less me.

"Oh Hey Erin, You're here! You brought Leif with you too." He replied. He's wearing this cream colored suit in order to color coordinate with Brooke. I fought the urge to roll my eyes. What is this, the freaking prom???"Yep, I have to support my little sis and best friend." I replied. My heart was beating wildly, butterflies swarmed in my stomach. I was thinking about the kiss we shared a few days ago. Part of my reason for not wanting to be here tonight was because I would have to face Michael after what happened. This was so frustrating. Michael claimed he loved Brooke but yet he was sending all these mixed signals my way. He didn't want his emotions played with yet he was playing with mine.

"So, is it true what they say about cold feet? Have you gotten them yet?" Leif asked Michael trying to start conversation. Michael smiled lightly. "No man, I haven't. But I'm sure they'll sneak up on me tomorrow. " He replied. Brooke giggled. "Well I don't know about Michael but I'm super excited about tomorrow. We finally get to spend the rest of our lives together." She exclaimed dreamily. I fought the urge to gag. "There's no one I'd rather spend the rest of my life with." Michael declared before pulling Brooke into a deep kiss. I rolled my eyes. It was like Michael was showing off in front of me. Like he was trying to prove his love for Brooke.

Leif nudged me."Should we join them?" He asked seductively leaning into me. I giggled softly pushing him away. I cleared my throat very loudly to get their attention. Slightly embarrassed, the couple pulled apart. "I'm gonna go take Leif to meet Mom and Dad. I'll leave you too lovebirds alone." I declared. I needed to get away from them. Brooke blushed "Okay, but don't be too long. Dinner's served in 30 minuets." She replied. "Gotcha." I replied grabbing hold of Leif''s hand as I maneuvered through the crowd in search of Mother. I had a feeling it was going to be a long night.

*******

I tried to stay focused on the asparagus on my plate but it was kind of hard considering the fact that Michael kept stealing glances at me. It was rather annoying. Why didn"t he go stare at Brooke?"So Erin, why aren't you married? You're the big sister. Shouldn't you have gotten married first?" My cousin Rachel ask me from across the table. Although Rachel was my annoying cousin on Dad's side of the family that I hardly talked to I was kind of glad she was trying to pry into my business so that I could avoid Michael's gaze for a moment.

"Is there some unwritten rule that says the older sister has to be married first? Maybe I don't want to be married. Maybe I just like dating and having fun." I replied dryly cutting into my steak. It annoyed me how everyone in my family acted like something was wrong with me because I was 27 and unmarried. Imagine if I do get married?? They'll be absolutely ruthless.

Michael and Brooke stood up from the table holding their champagne glasses. Michael lightly tapped a fork against his glass to get everyone's attention. "Michael and I would like to take this time to thank everyone for coming out tonight and supporting us. We couldn't have asked for a better wedding. Everything's been planned just perfectly" Brooke declared. Michael smiled snaking an arm around Brooke's waist. "Special thanks to the Shields family and the Jacksons; that's my people. And we can't possibly forget our Erin who's played a major role in the whole entire process of the wedding. She's an awesome girl." Michael added flashing his million dollar smile at me. I couldn't help but smile back. That's just how quickly could fall under his spell.

Michael and Brooke had certainly started a chain reaction. Soon, friends and family were up sharing funny stories and making toast to the bride and groom. At that moment they looked so happy. Michael's big brown eyes twinkled as he lovingly stared at Brooke. He could never look at me that way. Maybe he truly did love Brooke. Maybe they truly belonged together.

I suddenly found myself standing to make a toast. I lightly tapped my fork against the glass. Michael's brother Randy had just shared a funny story and the laughter was still dying down so I tapped my glass again. Maybe a little too hard this time because the fork left a crack in the glass. Michael giggled at my lack of grace and everyone else just stared. I nervously laughed. "Well, looks like I've finally gotten your attention." I declared. "I'd like to make a toast to the Bride and Groom. I find it really ironic that the two people I love the most and have known the longest would fall in love. What better way to have it? Your best friend with your little sister. Michael, I trust that you'll respect, love and protect Brooke. And Brooke, if you know Michael as well as I do you'll know that his heart his fragile and you'll keep it safe. I hope that Michael shows you the endless love he's shown me as a friend just a 100 times over. I wish you all ever happiness. Congratulations to Brooke and Michael." I spoke raising the glass to my lips.

The champagne along with a mixture of tears burned in my throat. It didn't take me long to realize that I was crying. I tried to convince myself they were tears of happiness but I just couldn't. I didn't mean a single word of that I had toasted. I didn't want them to be happy. I wanted it to be me. I wanted Michael for myself. Reality was hitting me with a very heavy blow. Before I could boo hoo any further I excused myself from the dinner. I stepped out into the night air watching the trail of yellow taxi's zoom by. I watched a happy couple catch on of the taxi's they shared a passionate kiss before getting in. This made me cry even harder.

"What's you're problem Erin??? You're an emotional wreck!!" I fussed at myself. What on earth was the use of crying?? Wedding bells would be ringing in less than 24 hours. There was no more time.