- Text Size +
Brooke's slender fingers swept over the silver locket Mother had just placed around her neck. She stared at her perfect reflection in the mirror and sighed. "Now I have something old. I have plenty of things that are new. I have something blue but absolutely nothing borrowed!" She exclaimed.

Your groom. That's the something borrowed.

Today was the day I had been dreading for the past few months. In less than an hour, Brooke would walk down the aisle. It was all becoming a reality. I was absolutely devastated. I felt like the world was going to come to a screeching hault when they say "I Do." There was a part of me, deep down inside that hoped that Michael felt the same way about me. Hoped that he would profess his love for me, change his mind and never walk down that aisle. But then there was that loud, annoying voice of rationality that crushed those hopes.

"Oh that's just old wedding superstitions. This wedding will be perfect." Mother exclaimed. "Smile for the camera sis!" I exclaimed adjusting the flash on my camera before snapping a picture. I promised myself I would try to stay good spirits. "Erin!! I'm not even properly made up yet!!" Brooke whinnied. Her long hair was still in pin curls . "Oh hush!! This is your wedding day! I've gotta get the candids! Don't worry , I'll get Mike in a little while. I even got Gran when she was napping earlier." I replied .

Brooke smiled widely. "I guess it's fine. This is the happiest day of my life. I wanna remember every little detail of it." She replied dreamily. "I can't wait to be Mrs. Michael Joseph Jackson." My heart dropped. If only it was me.

"The time is getting nearer!! Let's go ahead and finish up your hair." Mother declared as Jenifer, Brooke's professional hair stylist and make up artist for the day began taking the pins from Brooke's hair. Mine and the rest of the Bridesmaid's make up had already been done. I let my hair fall loosely around my shoulders not wanting to bother with it. Of course, all the attention was on Brooke. I could walk down the aisle looking like I came out of an electrical socket and nobody would take notice.

"I'm going to go check on Michael, make sure he hasn't got cold feet." I said. Mother and Brooke were too busy discussing how they wanted the bride's mane to look to respond to my announcement. I quickly escaped the room and headed to where Michael would be getting ready.

"Knock, Knock." I spoke while slowly opening the door. Michael stood in front of the full bodied mirror tucking in his white dress shirt. He jumped a bit at my greeting. "Hey Erin. Thought you were Brooke for a minuet." He spoke with a small smile. His face had nervousness written all over it. I forced a smile. "I've been told it's bad luck for the bride and groom to see each other before the wedding. So it's finally here. Nervous?" I asked. He chuckled. "A bit." Michael replied before fumbling with his tie. I walked over to him, effortlessly tying the tie.

I stepped back. "Thanks. You look beautiful." A slight smile swept over my lips. "Thanks, but I'm not nearly as beautiful as the bride." I replied modestly. Michael smiled. "You're close enough." He winked. A silence loomed over us and I was beginning to feel that familiar lump of melancholy forming in my throat. I was doing so well earlier. I didn't need to break down now.

"You know, I always thought it'd be me and you." Michael spoke softly. My breath hitched in my throat "You what?" I asked hoarsely. " I always thought it'd be me and you. Getting married." His doe eyes fell to the floor avoiding my gaze. My eyes began brimming with sudden tears. I folded my arms across my chest."Me too. But it's not." I replied. "Maybe If I would have moved sooner, it might have been. But how can I be sure you would have felt the same?" He spoke with a shrug. I sighed. It was time to tell him.

"Michael, I did feel the same. I do feel the same. I love you. I'm in love with you." I confessed. Michael's handsome face softened as he moved closer to me. His large hand reached out and cupped my face. "Erin, I love you. " He spoke ever so softly. Tears we freely cascading down my cheeks. I prayed to God the make up was water-proof. "If you love me then why are you marrying her?" I asked tearfully. Michael sighed. "It's just, I was afraid you wouldn't feel the same. I moved on." He replied. I shook my head. "That's the thing Michael, it's not easy for me to move on. I've loved you for too long. Nobody can ever be you. Not Leif, not anybody."

Michael sighed. "Please don't cry.I hate seeing you upset." He spoke gently touching my arm. I took a deep breath, my tears making everything around me blurry. "I love you Michael, you're my best friend." I tearfully declared. "I've always loved you Erin." Michael replied before leaning in and gently pressing his lips against mine; a farewell kiss.

He softly pulled away from me and gently wiped the tears from my face. They didn't seem to stop falling. The door opened and in popped Michael's brother Jermaine. "It's time Mike." He declared shooting a worried glance at the two of us. Michael sighed. "I'll be there. Just gimmie a few minuets." He replied shoving his hands in his pockets. Jermaine nodded before hastily leaving the room. Michael turned to me, opening his mouth as if to say something. "I don't want you to be late. Go on." I softly commanded before he could utter a word. "Erin I- " "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. Just go." I whispered, more tears falling from my eyes.

Michael gave me a sad smile before turning on his heel and leaving the room. I just stood there, dumbfounded, devastated and heartbroken. When you love something, you let it go. I had to let Michael walk down that aisle because I loved him more than anything else.