- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
By popular demand, here is the final chapter of "Something Borrowed" Thank you to everyone who has read and reviewed this story even after I left for a while. Well, without further a do, sit back and enjoy the final installment!
I took a deep breath gripping the bouquet of flowers in my hands. I had checked my reflection in the mirror a dozen times, making sure my face looked presentable after all the crying I had done earlier. I had just barely pulled myself together. I had to be strong and walk down that aisle. I owed it to Brooke. Michael had made his decision. He had moved on. He loved Brooke and he was going to marry her.

The wedding march filled my ears indicating my cue to walk. I took another deep breath putting one foot in front of the other. I flashed my best smile at the crowd of family and friends trying to look genuinely happy. I spotted Leif in the crowd. He flashed his handsome smile at me and I winked back. At least I wouldn't be alone after all of this. At least I'd have Leif. I turned my attention forward. In the center of the church was the priest who clutched on to a leather bible as if his life depended on it. On his right stood the best men which were compromised of the Jackson brothers. And then there was Michael.

He was standing there looking breath takingly handsome in his tux. He smiled, flashing his perfect teeth. His warm brown eyes twinkled. He truly looked happy. That's all I ever wanted for him; to be happy. If his happiness wasn't with me then so be it.

By the time I had gotten into position the other bridesmaids had had there walk down the aisle. Now was the moment that everyone was waiting on. Brooke was making her entrance. She was a vision of absolute loveliness. White lilies were in her hair that gracefully cascaded down her shoulders. I could see why Michael would go for her instead of me. Brooke was everything I wasn't: Beautiful, bubbly, confident and poised. She flashed her painfully perfect smile as Dad escorted her to her groom looking a bit sad to let his daughter go. As Brooke took her place next to Michael he whispered something in her ear sending a flash of color to her cheeks. They both quickly turned their attention to the Priest, ready to begin.

"Dearly Beloved, we are gathered her today to join this man, and this woman in holy matrimony." Declared the priest, his voice booming through the church. My heart was slowly sinking again. It was seriously happening. I let my mind wander as the priest droned on about the importance of the institution of marriage. I had a feeling this ceremony was going to last forever. I just wanted it to be over with so that I could drown my sorrows in ice cream and Nicholas Sparks novels.

"The bride and groom will now recite their vows." The priest announced snapping me out of my self- pity . "You go first!" Michael and Brooke shouted simultaneously getting giggles from the crowd. I stiffled my own fake laugh fighting the urge to roll my eyes and break down and sob. Why did they have to be so cute? Michael smiled. "Well, I'll go first then." He replied before taking a deep breath. "Brooke, I can't even begin to describe the way you make me feel. Gone is the grace for expressions of passion. You're truly a gift from above and I thank God everyday for placing you in my life." What the hell??? He thanks God for placing her in his life??? Like I wasn't there the whole time.

"I'm so proud to call mine. I can't imagine myself without you. I'd just be another lost soul wandering around, searching for love. But who would've thought that the girl of my dreams would be in front of my face. My bestfriend's little sis. I can't wait to start a life with you, raise a family with you. And I promise to honor and respect you, to cherish every moment I have with you because I am truly, madly deeply and crazy in love with you, Brooke Christa Shields." He finished. Passion dripping off of every word. I found myself quickly dabbing the corner of my eyes as did Brooke. He was right when he said the girl of his dreams was right in front of his face. But it wasn't Brooke. It was me.

"Oh, Michael." Brooke exclaimed through her joyful tears. "I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel something for you since the very beginning. Ever since that day that Erin brought you home and introduced you as her best friend, I knew I was in love. I've had the pleasure of watching you grow into the wonderful, handsome man you are today. You're the sweetest, most wonderful man I've ever known and I swear, I am the luckiest woman in the world to be marrying you. I can't wait for us to finally be one, to carry your children and start a life with you. You're the man for me Michael, nobody else." Brooke finished with a bright smile. God, why did their vows have to be so sincere, so beautiful. That familiar lump was forming in my throat as Michael's little nephew handed them the rings. The giggled as they slid the rings on each other's fingers. Michael intertwined his fingers with Brooke's who smiled brightly.

"If anyone, for any reason thinks that this couple should not be wed, please speak now or forever hold your peace." The priest instructed. All I could here was the pounding of the own heart and all I could feel was the stinging of my eyes as the tears pooled in them. I looked at Michael and Brooke. They looked so happy. I couldn't do this. I had to hold my tongue.

"Michael Joseph Jackson, do you take Brooke Christa Shields to be your lawfully wedded wife? To have and to hold, through sickness and health, till death do you part?" Michael smiled at Brooke. "I do." Came his firm reply. With those two little words, I was done for. All hope was gone for me. "And do you, Brooke Christa Shields take Michael Joseph Jackson to be your lawfully wedded husband? To have and to hold, through sickness and health, till death do you part?" Brooke's eyes twinkled with happiness. "I do." The priest smiled. "Well, I now pronounce you man and wife. Michael, you may kiss your bride." As if he had been practicing for this moment his whole entire life, Michael slowly leaned in and placed a passionate kiss upon Brooke's lips. It flashed me back to the day in the park when he'd kissed me in the sand by the swing sets. They pulled apart smiling widely before Michael swept Brooke off her feet carrying her bridal style out of the church. The crowd of family and friends quickly dispersed following the happy couple . I tried my best to conceal the tears that were spilling down face as I followed close behind. I stepped aside as the rest of the family assaulted the newlyweds with rice.

Before getting into the baby blue Volkswagen beetle Brooke stopped, turned her back to the crowd and lifted her bouquet over her head. All the bridesmaid's squealed with joy as they all huddled together. "Come on Erin!!" They shout pulling me in with them. I smiled, trying to stay of good spirits although I was in no mood. In one swift motion, Brooke tossed the bouquet over her head. The bridesmaid's tumbled over one another in an attempt to catch the sacred bundle of flowers but the bouquet slapped me right in the face and landed at my feet. I picked it up and held it over my head forcing a grin. Michael smiled at me before opening the door for Brooke who eagerly climbed in. I smiled back still trying to process everything that happened. Why he still said I do after he had expressed his feelings for me. Why he had married Brooke when he said he loved me.


Michael followed Brooke into the vehicle. The door slammed loudly behind them. The families ran out into the street waving to the couple as they drove off into the sunshine, bright silver cans clinking along the street and big sign that read: Just Married attached to the bumper. A tear ran down my cheek as the beetle grew further and further from my sight.

"Don't you just love happy endings?" Came an all too familiar voice. I clutched the bouquet in my hands and took a deep breath turning to face Leif. "Yeah." I replied with a faint smile. Except this wasn't a happy ending. If this were a happy ending it would have been me who had gotten in the Volkswagen beetle, it'd be me who was bursting with happiness, It'd be me who was Mrs. Michael Joseph Jackson and not Brooke.

"Going to the reception?" Leif asked, his green eyes twinkling. By now, everyone had gone, probably just arriving at the reception. We were the only one's still standing in the street. I sighed. "To be honest, I just wanna go home Leif." I replied. I was just too heartbroken to sit through the reception. I hope Brooke and Michael would understand. Leif smiled faintly "Well that's just where we'll go." He replied before taking my hand in his.

As I walked away from the church, I couldn't help but hope that maybe one day I would get my happy ending. If not today, then maybe tomorrow.
Chapter End Notes:
Here's a question for you all. In the event that there is possibly, only possibly a sequel, which title is better "Something Great" or "Never Too Late"? let me know in the reviews!