- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Another chapter!! Hope you enjoy!!
After a jog around the neighborhood I made a beeline for my refrigerator ready to pile back on the calories I had just burned. I was satisfied finding a half eaten container of Chinese and put it into the microwave. It had been two weeks since my incident with Michael. I couldn't seem to stop thinking about it. Every spare moment I had to myself, I thought about it. It was just a drunken one night stand but I couldn't help but feel like it had been something more.

I didn't totally regret my actions. I had always had feelings for Michael. Ever since we met back in high school. He was a shy, soft spoken boy with a giant afro who just moved from Indiana. I took him under my wing and instantly fell for him. During college my crush had turned into a sort of infatuation. But around that time Michael and I began dating other people and I sort of brushed those feelings aside.

Knowing what had happened between us only made those feelings reoccur. In the past, I had several opportunities to express my feeling but I was always too afraid. Now it was much too late. Michael would soon be married to Brooke.

And it's not that he cared anyway. I hadn't spoken to him since the incident. Its not like we talked everyday but we at least called each other once a week just to touch base with one another He was the same person who said he didn't want this to change our relationship yet he was brushing me off.

The microwave beeped indicating that my food had been warmed. I grabbed a fork and pulled the take out box out of the microwave. As soon as I made myself comfortable on the couch my phone rang. I reached over and picked up the receiver.

"Hello?" I asked. "Hey Erin." Brooke's girlish voice filled my ears. "Oh Hey Brookie. What cha up to?" I asked casually. I was really doing a good job of hiding my fling with Michael from Brooke. Most people would make their guilt obvious but I was a trained professional. "Oh, you know, beauty regimen. Manis and pedis." She replied. "While you're at it, why don't you do something with those caterpillars you call eyebrows?" I asked stuffing my mouth with orange chicken. Brooke gasped. "Haha. Very funny. Nothing is wrong with my eyebrows, thank you." She retorted.

There was a short silence. "Look, I called to ask a favor of you." Brooke finally spoke. I sighed. "I shoulda known. What is it?" I asked. "I'd like you take some pictures of Michael and I to go on our wedding invitations." Declared Brooke. I was a photographer for well known company. My life revolved around photography. This was definitely something I didn't mind doing.

"When do you want me to take them?" I asked prior to stuffing my mouth with more chicken."How's tomorrow sound?" She asked. "Great actually. It's Saturday and I'm off. What about Mike? I haven't talked to him in a while. Is everything alright with him?" I asked, hoping to get some kind of explanation. "Humm, that's weird. Things have been pretty hectic at the hospital lately. Maybe he just hasn't had time to talk." She replied. So yes, Michael was a pediatric nurse and that could be a busy job but he always made time for me.

I sighed. "Got it. When and where do you want to meet tomorrow?" I asked hoping to change the subject. " 12 o'clock. Central Park. Oh Erin, this is gonna be perfect! The cherry blossoms just bloomed! It will be so romantic and pretty!!" Brooke exclaimed. "Yeah, I'm sure it will. See you tomorrow?" I asked slightly annoyed with Brooke's bubbly mood. "Tomorrow. Don't be late!!"

***********
The next day I was at Central Park at 11:58 with my camera ready. Brooke and Michael were always punctual so they would arrive at 12 o'clock on the dot. Sure enough, at 12 o'clock they approached me with big smiles walking and in hand.

"Erin!! Thanks so much for doing this!! Brooke exclaimed tearing away from Michael's grasp to give me a hug. She was wearing this beautifully patterned sun dress. Her long hair flowed loosely around her shoulders. It sometimes angered me how beautiful she was.

"No prob. You're my little sis and Mike is my best friend." I said the last words sharply to get his attention. He was really going to stand there and not speak to me. "Hey Erin." He spoke with a slight smile draping his long arm around shoulder. He was wearing khaki's and a yellow button up. Yellow was a nice color on him. He looked incredibly handsome.

"So you haven't fallen off the face of the earth." I spoke messing with my camera. He giggled stuffing his hands in his pockets. "I've just been busy girl." He replied. That was a lie. He was ignoring me.

"Let's take some pictures. Shall we?" I asked, not really caring to hear more from him. I was mad. "Ready when you are." Brooke replied. I sighed, pulling my hair back into a ponytail, something I always did before taking pictures. "You two lie under that tree." I instructed. "In this dress?" Brooke asked. "Just do what I tell you." I retorted. Brooke and Michael followed directions. I hovered over them with my camera. I began thinking about where I wanted to take this.

"Brooke, move closer to Michael and lay your head on his chest." Brooke did as told and I snapped a shot. It was beautiful. Cherry blossom petals fell delicately around them as they embraced. There was no denying that they were a beautiful couple. Maybe they were truly meant for each other.

After the photo shoot, Brooke invited me to have lunch with her and Michael. I declined. Michael had been giving me the silent treatment for the past two weeks including today. It would only make me angrier and make Brooke suspicious if we were silent at lunch.

We had both acknowledged that our rendezvous had all been a mistake. So why was he giving me the cold shoulder?
Chapter End Notes:
Please review!!!