- Text Size +

"So... um... who lives here?" Callie asked hoping to break the silence. She hated silence, it was so uncomfortable.

   The man scoffed, "Seriously? You're going to have to try a little harder than that."

   She stole a glance at him from the side but he held the light towards the ground and she couldn't make out his face from the dim light of the half moon. "Um... sorry... I didn't realize that was... um... never mind." She mumbled and they continued to walk in silence. Agonizing silence.

    Callie was angry with herself. She thought that perhaps her parents had been right. Perhaps she should've stayed at home where it was comfortable and safe. 'And boring..' she thought to herself as tears threatened her eyes. 'Do not let yourself regret this decision just because of one jerk. This is the right thing.' She told herself.

   They walked across a bridge and Callie could see lights ahead. She perked up as she assumed she would be taken to the owner, or at least the housekeeper, and would soon be rid of the unpleasant present company. She wanted to run but was careful to keep in step with the man beside her.  

    "Watch your step." He said curtly. Callie detected his hand lightly pressed on her back. He was barely touching her, just enough to guide her safely. She raised her eyebrows, not expecting such a gentlemanly act from the stranger.  They walked up three steps and continued to the house.

   It seemed to be a rather large house. Callie was amazed that she could only detect two lights on. Otherwise the entire property lay in still darkness. Once again she found herself tightening her grip on the set of keys she was carrying, particularly the pocket knife key chain. Darkness made her even more uncomfortable.

    The man pointed his light towards the house and Callie could make out the cottage like decoration on the outside of the house. It reminded her of something she might find in a fairy tale. She stood breathlessly in awe of the beauty of what she could see. 'Imagine if it were illuminated' she thought with a smile.

    "This way." The stranger's voice interrupted her thoughts. This time, his voice had softened.  She detected no rudeness though she was certain there was some apprehension.

   He walked ahead of her and opened the door and walked in. He stood behind the heavy wooden door and held it open waiting for her to enter. It was against anything she had ever been taught but Callie took a deep breath and stepped inside of the fairy tale house.

   The entrance was dimly lit with the glow coming from another room. Callie tried to steal a look at the man holding the door but as soon as she entered he let go of the door and turned away. "In here." He stated as he walked into the adjoining room.

    Callie stood in the entry way to the room and looked around. The floors were hard wood and polished. The walls were a creamy white and the room had dark wooden molding. 'Beautiful.' She thought.

    She looked again at the man who had led her here. His back was still turned but he was wearing black pants, a red shirt and a black fedora. She noticed long black curls flowing down past his shoulders. He just stood there for a moment, looking down at something. Then Callie noticed his shoulders slump down as he started to turn around.