- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey you guys this is the last chapter :') I want to thank all of you who have read my story and I just want to say that I love each and every one of you! Also I do have a bonus chapter of Parker and Michael as older teenagers if you like? Review if you'd like me to upload that :) anyway... Enjoy! <333

July 4th, 1972

 

They were at the Indiana State Fair. Every summer the fair went all across the state and this year they finally came to Gary. Michael and his family brought Parker with them because Mrs. Mayweather didn't really like the fair. Katherine gave all the kids two dollars which got them one hundred tickets each so they could have as much fun as possible. Rebbie and LaToya, Michael's older sisters, were in charge of the younger kids i.e. Janet, Marlon, and Randy. Jermaine, Jackie and Tito went on their own and Michael and Parker paired up. Katherine had a sweet tooth for funnel cakes so she stayed around the funnel cake kiosk. She made it clear that everyone was to meet back up at the van as soon as the fireworks were over.

 

"Looks like we have a winner!" said the man running the game. The task of the game was to throw a ball at three milk bottles and after some persistence and 84 tickets later, Michael finally hit all three. Although Michael was skilled at dancing and singing, sports weren't his forte at all. His aim was worse than that of a blind man.

 

When he won, his happy dance was a nifty James Brown impression. He shuffled his feet and led himself into a spin.

 

Parker laughed and clapped for him. "Go Michael, go Michael! I swear when you make it big, I'm gonna be your biggest fan."

 

He laughed and jumped up and down.

 

The carnival man laughed. "What prize do you want little man? You can choose anything from the middle shelf."

 

"I want that purple monkey please!"

 

The man smiled and grabbed the stuffed animal and handed it to her. "Here you go."

 

"Thank you, sir."

 

Michael took the monkey and gave it to Parker. "Here, this is for you."

 

Parker smiled. "Oh Michael, you don't have to give this to me. You worked so hard to get it."

 

"But I want you to have it," he replied.

 

Parker hugged him. "You are too sweet, Michael."

 

Michael smirked. "I know." They laughed and continued to scope out the fair.

 

Michael and Parker went around to all the carnival games and saw a man going around taking pictures of people for a ticket.

 

"Hey Michael, let's let that guy take a picture of us."

 

Michael pulled his mouth to the side. "Parker, you know I don't like pictures."

 

"Oh pretty please Michael?" She gave him the puppy dog eyes and poked out her bottom lip.

 

He looked her and couldn't say no to her cute little face. "Okay fine but only for you," he said with a wink.

 

She jumped up and laughed. "Yay! You've got to smile in this one okay? Mister! Over here!"

 

Parker got the attention of the guy with the camera and gave him a ticket. She put her arms around Michael's shoulders from the side and gave him a kiss on the cheek. He half smiled but it was a smile.

 

The guy gave them their picture and went on to the next person. Parker looked at it once it dried and smiled at Michael's little half smile.

 

She showed the photo to him. "See! Look how cute you are! You can keep this one so you can remember how cute you look when you smile in a photo."

 

She handed him the photo and he put it in his pocket. Just then a man's voice on a loud speaker sounded over the fair:

 

"Alright everybody, the fireworks show will be starting soon. If you would like to sit and watch, move over to the clearing where we have set up chairs for your viewing pleasure. Please do not move the chairs from their original spots because they are there at that distance to ensure your safety. Enjoy the show and Happy Fourth of July!"

 

"Ooo the fireworks are starting! Let's go get our seats now before they take all the good ones," Parker said.

 

They got good seats in the middle where they were able to see the fireworks shoot up in the sky very well. It was pretty dark out so whenever a firework went up and exploded in the air, it illuminated everything with color. Big bursts of green, red, yellow and white made the sky shine so sparkly and bright!

 

As they watched the fireworks, Michael draped his arm around Parker and she nuzzled up against him. Right after he did it, he felt something get thrown at the back of his neck. He looked back and saw his brothers with bags of popcorn. They snickered at him and Michael rolled his eyes.

 

After the fireworks show, all the kids met up at the van and Katherine drove them home. When they got to the house, Michael walked Parker home.

 

When they got to the door, they stood there for a while.

 

"Tell your mom I said thanks for letting me come to the fair with you all. I really enjoyed myself also thank you so much for little Bubbles here," Parker said referring to the stuffed monkey in her hands.

 

"Will do and I enjoyed having you with us also no problem."

 

They smiled at each other for a while then Parker leaned in for a kiss. Michael kissed her back and then they pulled away.

 

They said goodnight and hugged and Michael walked back home.

 

Michael walked into the house and went to the kitchen and looked in the junk drawer. He found a maker and fished the picture out of his pocket. He wrote in his best handwriting: PARKER AND ME on the bottom of the photo.

 

 (lol excuse my rachet attempt at making a photo edit of Michael and Parker :P)

 

 

He looked at the photo and smiled then held the photo to his heart.

 

"Girl, I don't like to smile but for you, I'll smile any day...." he thought.

 

******************

 

Michael sat on her bed and watched as Parker packed her things into her suitcase. He couldn't believe she was packing to leave already. It felt like it was just yesterday that he saw her reading on the porch. He'd never forget the first time they spoke. She made him feel something no other person could make him feel. She was very special to him and he hoped he was as special to her as she was to him.

 

Parker folded her shirts slowly and carefully before placing them into her suitcase. Even though she wasn't leaving until tomorrow, she didn't want this moment to end. This would be the last full day she got to spend with Michael before she went back to Marietta. She held back tears and took in slow deep breaths.

 

When she finished packing, she zipped up her suitcase and placed in front of her bed.

 

She crawled onto the bed and sat next to him and grabbed his hand.

 

"I'm gonna miss you," Michael said.

 

"Me too," she said. Her voice was quiet for she didn't want to cry.

 

Michael turned to her and looked her in the eyes. "Promise me we'll see each other again."

 

Parker smiled but a tear ran down her cheek. She wiped it away and said, "I promise."

 

When it got pretty late, Michael had to go home. When he got to his house, he went into his room and grabbed a piece of paper and began to write:

 

I found my happiest days

when you came to see your grandma in May...

 

I bumped into you at the corner store...

 

Your grandma's house was next to mine...

We were together most of the time...

 

But summer's getting away from us

time's movin' too fast for us

 

Bye-bye, don't turn around ‘cause you might see me cry...

 

Farewell my summer love...farewell...

Girl, I won't forget you...

 

When you return to your hometown

And you discuss your trip...

 

Will I be the guy that you put down?

Or someone that you don't forget, no?

 

I'll never forget you....

 

And maybe next year when you're out of school

you'll return, but until you do...

 

Bye-bye, don't turn around; you might see me cry....

 

********************

 

The next morning Michael woke up super early so he wouldn't miss seeing Parker off. He walked over to Mrs. Mayweather's house just in time.

 

Her uncle came and got her around eight in the morning.

 

When they finished packing Parker's things into her uncle's car, Michael and Parker stood in front of each other for what seemed like a lifetime until Parker just fell into his arms. Michael held her tight. He didn't want to cry in front of her but he couldn't help it. A few tears escaped and landed on her shirt.

 

Before they let go, Parker whispered something but it was muffled by their hug. He was pretty sure she said. "I love you..."

 

Parker went to hug her grandma and then she got into her uncle's car. She waved through the window all the way down the street until she couldn't see Michael's face anymore.

 

Michael waved too and wiped the tears from his eyes.

 

 

"Farewell my summer love...farewell..." 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

I hope you enjoyed my story :) Please Review :D