- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I know I'm late!! Ice Bucket Challenge was soooo summer 2014, right? Aha but I don't care! I saw this and couldn't resist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiFbCJVun2s

I imagine this would take place in summer 2014 ;)

Featuring Prince, Paris, and Blanket, all their ages now! Hope y'all enjoy <3

“Hi, I’m Michael Jackson,” I said to the camera, “and I’ve been nominated by my three wonderful children to do the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.”

Paris and Blanket, standing at my two sides, giggled joyfully, and Prince smiled from his place behind the camera. It was a beautiful summer day in Los Angeles, California, but I (unfortunately) needed a canopy over my head to protect my sensitive skin from the sunlight.

“ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease and Motor Neuron Syndrome, stands for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis.” I continued speaking. “It destroys motor neurons, and as the disease progresses, the brain begins to lose its ability to control muscle movements. As of now there is no real cure, but all of the money we raise from the Ice Bucket Challenge goes to the ALS Association for further research and treatment. I am doing the Ice Bucket Challenge not only because I’ve been nominated, but also because I want to help raise awareness. Now, what are the rules again, Paris?”

“If you’re nominated, you have twenty-four hours to post a video of yourself dumping a bucket of ice water over your head,” Paris exclaimed. “If you do it, you have to donate ten dollars to the ALS Association. But if you chicken out, you have to donate a hundred dollars.”

“We’ve donated to ALS before, and will continue to do so,” Blanket continued. “But this year, we’re all taking on this challenge to do our part in spreading the word about ALS. You ready, Dad?”

“As I’ll ever be,” I said, rubbing my hands together. “Let’s do this!”

I bent down slowly to pick up the bucket of water and ice. Boy, I’m getting old… but it wasn’t about to stop me from having the inevitable water fight that was sure to follow.

“Wait, Dad, you have to nominate people!” Blanket reminded me.

“Oh, right…”

I dropped the bucket and was on my way up again.

“Hm, who to nominate…” I said, seriously contemplating. “Well, I nominate… I nominate… Heheheh I don’t know!”

“Come on, Dad!” Paris said. “Or I’ll do it for you. On behalf of my father, I nominate—”

“Okay, wait, I got it!” I giggled. “I nominate my sister, La Toya, and, uh… Chris Tucker. Twenty-four hours, you guys!”

I grinned cheekily and leaned down once again. At this time, Paris and Blanket started walking away, in the direction of the water hose…

“Hey! Where do you two think you’re going?”

The two laughed out loud and picked up speed, whipping buckets out of seemingly nowhere.

“Dad, show them how much ice is in there!” Prince said as I hoisted the heavy bucket off of the ground. “There needs to be proof you’re doing it right.”

I didn’t take my eyes off of my two other children as I tipped the bucket forward. They were quickly filling theirs with water… Oh gosh!

“No! Paris, Blanket, you won’t do this!” I yelled.

 “Dad, all the water is spilling!” Prince laughed like a maniac.

“It’s not funny…”

“Come on, it’s now or never!” Prince said.

“I don’t like cold stuff!”

“It’s a hundred degrees and you’re wearing pretty much wearing a suit!”

I sighed, but a smile was on my face.

“Here we go… Hehe, the bucket’s getting heavy anyway.”

I lifted the bucket high above my head and slowly started tipping it backwards.

“Oh, gosh…” I was in a fit of giggles over nothing. “Oh, my…”

…SPLASH!

The water and ice hit my head and I cursed myself for not wearing a tighter shirt, or one with a turtleneck or something. Ice cubes slid down my body from all directions and I didn’t even know how. This was not comfortable. At. All.

“Whoo, you did it, Dad!” Prince hollered excitedly. “Ooh, Dad, you better run, Paris and Blanket are coming for ya!”

“NOOO!! I’ve lost all sense of self respect please!” I joked in between laughs.

I was about to turn away and run when I saw Paris charging at me with a bucket full of ice water.

“I’ve done it, Paris, I’ve already done it!”

She barely missed me as I dodged the attack, but Blanket came from behind me and splashed me right across my bottom!

“Blanket, that is a sensitive area!!!!!” I raged. “I’m gonna get you back!”

Prince had turned off the camera and gone to the hose, but none of us noticed because we were laughing too hard. Suddenly, we felt a light sprinkle over us. Paris squeaked and hid behind me. It started small, but that was because Prince had his thumb over the mouth of the hose, making a wide waterfall. When he let go, I can only say we were struck by hydrogen lightning!

After about an hour of just messing around in the sun, we decided to head back indoors, towels wrapped around us. We had ice cream at the breakfast table and chatted and laughed, just like any other American family would during summer vacation. We had the video uploaded on Facebook, and donated a healthy sum of money to the ALS Association through their website. I just couldn’t wait for the response we would get… Hopefully donations would continue to increase! Giving to the world could be the most fun ever. It’s double the joy: having a great time, then feeling good you made a difference in the world. It was a wonderful, magical experience.