- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys! Sorry for the delayed. I'm out of the country but still trying to update as much as I can. Things start to pick up again in this chapter. It may be a little short but there's so much more to come. Enjoy!
About an hour later, Beatrice and Scarecrow were once again riding on the back of Cheetah and soaring out of their safe haven. Behind them were the rest of the flying monkey gang each carrying at least two members of Beatrice and Scarecrow’s army.

They made sure to fly no higher than the trees around them, trying to remain as discreet as possible. Wickus’ Slueth and Skywatchers could be roaming around anywhere. The flying monkeys were so stealth and crafty as they flew on in the direction of the Emerald City.

“Are you okay?” Scarecrow whispered in Beatrice’s ear when they were half way there. He was sitting behind her with his arms wrapped around her waist.

Beatrice gulped. “Yeah, sure. I’m okay.”

Scarecrow obviously wasn’t convinced. “Don’t worry. We can do this. Just remember the plan. As long as we stay together, we’ll be fine.”

Beatrice nodded but didn’t say anything else.

“I believe in you, Beatrice. But more importantly, I believe in us,” he stated happily.

When she turned around and peered over her and Scarecrow’s shoulder, she notice that some of the flying monkeys were starting to veer off in other directions around the city, carrying some of the Munchkins and swimsuit wearers over to the areas of the city where the prisoners were kept. Samantha and her gang of girls were also among them. While they proceed with their rescue mission, Beatrice, Scarecrow and everyone else would remain out in the open, hopefully creating a successful diversion. Beatrice prayed that they all would come out okay after this. Although this was a war, she couldn’t bear the thought of any of her friends dying. “Good luck,” she whispered softly to the ones who were separating themselves. She then turned back around and narrowed her eyes with determination burning through them as she peered at the sight in front of her.

The dull green city that once used to be so vibrant and full of life stared straight at her, awaiting their arrival. Oh, boy.

Beatrice had her weapon in one hand and held on to Cheetah with the other. As did Scarecrow and everyone else. Miss One granted Beatrice with a three foot fighting staff while Scarecrow still possessed his gigant sling shot.

As for the rest of the crew, their weapons varied from bow and arrows to pitchforks, things with sharp ends that would be great for unstitching the Hulkpuppets and harming the Skywatchers. Beatrice and Scarecrow’s army was ready thanks to Miss One and as long as Beatrice showed her bravery she knew they would too.

Cheetah descended to the ground directly in front of the big castle, not bothering to be discreet anymore. The rest of the gang followed suit and landed behind him.

Scarecrow and Beatrice dismounted him and took one bold step forward. The rest of their group was walking up behind them.

Now was the time for her to call on all the anger and hatred she felt for this evil warlock. Standing here out in the open should have made her feel exposed and vulnerable but having Scarecrow and her friends beside her made her feel daring and unconquerable. “WICKUS!” she yelled out for him, her voice echoing through the eerie silence and bouncing off the massive castle before her.

The sky was fully covered by thick dark clouds. Despite it being almost noon, the sun was nowhere in sight. A strange breeze had begun to run through the city, sending a small chill running up Beatrice’s spine but she fought the urge to shiver.

“Beatrice, up there.” Scarecrow pointed upward.

When she looked up, she took notice of a dark figured looking down at them from the balcony on the highest level of the castle. She couldn’t see his face, only his silhouette, but could almost feel his death glare. For a brief second, lightening flash across the sky above him, adding on to the unsettling atmosphere but she refused to be intimidated by it. Instead, she called out to him, “THIS ENDS TODAY!”

He release an unnerving loud chuckle and within a blink of an eye he was gone. Talk about creepy.

A deep snarl coming from the castle’s main entrance had Beatrice’s immediate attention. Several Skywatchers and Hulkpuppets were exiting the building in a big cluster. “The only thing ending today IS YOU ALL!!!” shouted one of the Skywatchers angrily.

On cue, a roar of thunder erupted, making everyone flinch from the sound. This was going to be a very rough storm, for obvious reasons.

Beatrice lifted her staff in a swinging position. “Bring it on you ugly bird!”

The Skywatcher growled and pointed at her with his wing. “Ugh, Wickus may have given me orders not to kill you but I can still make you suffer!”

Without any kind of warning, Scarecrow slingshot out a blue ball of light in the enemy’s direction. That blue light tackled them with an aggressive force, causing the Skywatcher and his crew to tumble over like bowling pins. “I don’t think so,” Scarecrow growled through gritted teeth.

Beatrice watched him speechlessly. She had never seen Scarecrow angry before. He was always the calm one in the group.

“No one touches Beatrice without going through me first!” So much energy and determination was radiating of him.

“Likewise!” Tin Man was now shoulder to shoulder with Scarecrow holding up his axe and facing off the foes. Yikes! Beatrice would hate to get too close to that.

“You pathetic creatures!” roared Lion, now standing on the other side of Beatrice, having no weapon but his teeth and claws. “You don’t stand a chance against all of us!”

Once Wickus’ loyalties were back on their feet, they angrily charged at the crowd before them. “YAH!” the first Skywatcher shouted out.

Beatrice and her gang were more than ready for the impact. In fact, they were meeting them halfway. She swung at the first Skywatcher that came in contact with her, sending him flying to the west and knocking him straight into another foe. She aggressively swung her weapon at the second foe running up to her, successfully knocking him off his feet as well.

Scarecrow was putting his giant sling shot to excellent use. It allowed him to take out several Hulkpuppets with a ball of light the size of a basketball.

Lion snarled and jumped on a Skywatcher. The two of them rolled and tumbled in a ball as they fought.

The Munchkins and swimsuit wearers were all handling their own just fine as well, managing to rip apart a few Hulkpuppets and injure some Skywatchers, as did Tin Man with his trusty axe.

Cheetah and his gang of monkeys were an extremely big help. Not only did they help increase the numbers in the army but they were fast and quite skillful with their attacks. Some of them flew up to the sky and took on more Skywatchers that were flying over to the scene. This battle was bound to have every last one of Wickus’ loyalties out here fighting to the finish, which was all part of the plan. If they could get every last enemy out here, then there would be no one left to watch the prisoners, blessing the second group with the perfect opportunity to complete their rescue mission. And then it would be time for the big finale!

The roars from the battle blended in well with the brutal thunder.

About half an hour into the fight, things started to take a turn for the worst. Beatrice just managed to put down another Hulkpuppet and looked up at Scarecrow to smile at him in triumph.

He was standing a few feet away but not too far off. He also was having great success but when he peered over at her he gave her a look full of fear. “BEATRICE!!!” He started running towards her full speed.

Beatrice could almost feel someone standing behind her. Everything happened so fast. The moment she whipped her head around, there was Wickus barely standing an inch away from her, glaring at her with a gaze that burned like fire. Her breath got caught in her throat as she took in the sight of him.

Four deep, large scratches were now embedded in his face in a diagonal fashion from his forehead to his chin. It was a deep flesh wound that didn’t look as if it would be disappearing in this life time. One of the scratches passed over his left eye causing his pupil to remain a deep crimson red. His irises possessed crack lines all over it as if it were a broken antique. Ugh, as if he didn’t look hideous enough before Lion had wounded him. “Hello, strange beauty of mine,” he crooned to her in a tone that sent dread running all through her body. Without giving her or Scarecrow a chance to react, Wickus immediately opened up his right hand with his palm facing the dark clouded sky and blew what appeared to be black smoke in Beatrice’s face.

The moment she inhaled the strange smoke Beatrice was out like a light.

“BEATRICE!!!” Scarecrow tried to catch her but she had already gone limp in Wickus’ arms.

The last sound Beatrice was able to make sense of was a malicious laughter.
Chapter End Notes:
Don't worry. I'll be updating as soon as I can, I promise. In the meantime, please leave your thoughts with me. Thank you so much for your faithful readership :)