- Text Size +

 

My eyes blinked open and saw him. Last night wasn't a dream. There was my angel just sleeping away. The empty side of the bed was filled. I smiled and had the urge to kiss him. That's how I would get him up when he'd secretly spend the night at my house in high school. 

 

I decided to follow my urges and leaned in to kiss him. His lips were so soft and warm. 

 

Hmm... Michael needs a little extra. I kissed him more passionately. He began to kiss me back. 

 

Bingo. 

 

He opened his eyes and smiled at me. "Good morning Jolie," he said in a raspy voice as he stretched. 

 

"Good morning Michael. Did you sleep well?" 

 

"Very well. You?"

 

"I slept wonderfully because I had you with me," I said. 

 

"Also because I wore you out last night," he winked referring to our "intimate" evening. I playfully slapped his arm. 

 

Michael smiled and sat up and reached to the nightstand to get a hair band to put his hair in a pony tail. 

 

Funny thing about Mike and his hair. When he first started practice in Afghanistan, his troop buddies "kidnapped" him, if that's the word for it. They duct taped his mouth and tied his hands and feet together so he couldn't struggle. Then they sat him in a chair and pulled out some hair clippers. Everybody had some kind of haircut but not my husband. He begged to his troop leader so he could keep his long hair. Michael heard those hair clippers and had a fit but he couldn't get out of their "trap". Then he began to cry. His buddies felt bad and untied Michael. But just because they felt bad didn't mean they didn't clown him about it. They called him Clippers for three weeks! I hope he doesn't get mad at me for telling this story.... Oh well. 

 

Today Michael's family and my parents are coming over for a welcome home BBQ. I'd better get ready because knowing Michael's family, they're either very early or fashionably late. 

 

    ••••••••••

 

I was cutting some veggies for the salad. Michael was outside grilling the chicken. Today is so beautiful, it's great for a BBQ. 

 

I heard the back door open and went over to see who it was. 

 

"Janet! How are you?" 

 

"I'm great! Oh my goodness you've gotten so big!" Dang, I know I'm big and pregnant. I don't everyone to remind me. 

 

"You know Janet, you and Michael are so alike. He said the same thing." We laughed and walked into the kitchen. 

 

"Auntie Janet!" Katy and JayCee came running to her. 

 

"Hey girls. How are you?" 

 

"We're good," they said in unison. 

 

"That's great, girls. Now go be good girls and help mommy in the kitchen." 

 

"Yes Auntie Janet." 

 

     ••••••••••

 

All throughout the morning Michael's family poured in. My parents had called and told me they couldn't make it. 

 

It was around noon. Michael and his brothers were out back and the girls and I were in the kitchen. Everything was ready and covered to be put outside. The only thing left was the sweet potato pies that were still in the oven. 

 

"So Jolie, how do you keep up the household," LaToya asked. 

 

"Yeah girl, how do you do it? You have twin girls, a child on the way, AND you're married to my brother. Girl you are super woman," Janet added. 

 

"Well, I guess I'm just strong willed. I have to be strong because when Michael's not here, I am the rock. I mean, if rocks weren't strong, we wouldn't make houses on top of them. I am an example to my children and if I'm not strong; they're not strong."  

 

"Girl, that was deep," Rebbie said. 

 

I was getting the pies out the oven when I got this sharp pain in my abdomen. So painful that I almost dropped the pies. 

 

"Owww. Owwwww!"

 

"Oh my goodness, Jolie are you okay?"

 

"No! Ahhh! Please...get...Michael!"

 

••••••••••

 

I was grilling the chicken for the BBQ. Me and my brothers were sitting on the patio drinking some beers and soda. 

 

"So.... Michael how did you and Jolie celebrate your homecoming," asked Marlon. 

 

"You know how they celebrated, Marlon," Jermaine mused. "They got busy." We all shared a laugh. 

 

"Can't y'all get your mind out of the gutter for one day," I said. Again we shared a laugh. 

 

We were interrupted by Janet running outside. 

 

"Michael! Jolie needs you!"

 

I didn't need an explanation, all I knew was that my wife needed me. 

 

••••••••••

 

I was on the couch with the pain still in my abdomen. Rebbie and LaToya were watching over me. 

 

"Where is she!" I heard Michael coming inside the house. 

 

"She's over here Michael," Rebbie said. 

 

Michael ran over to me. "Jolie what's wrong?"

 

"My stomach... it hurts... so bad," I said through the pain. 

 

"Okay baby. Calm down and do our breathing exercises. In and out... In and out...."

 

I breathed in and out. The pain was beginning to subside. Michael held my hand and breathed with me. 

 

I went through the same thing with Katy and JayCee and Michael was there. What if Michael wasn't here today. Here I was talking about how I'm the rock when Michael's gone and I can't even think straight when I'm in pain.  

 

••••••••••

 

After my little spell, we all went outside and enjoyed the barbecue. The food was great and the pies were delicious. We all just laughed and talked. Michael and his brothers shared some stories when they were young. We just had fun time. 

 

Right now Michael was putting the kids to bed. 

 

••••••••••

 

"Okay my angels, what story do you guys want me to read," I said tucking them in. 

 

"Peter Pan!" JayCee exclaimed. 

 

"Yeah Daddy! Peter Pan," Katy agreed. 

 

"Okay Peter Pan it is." I got the book from the shelf and began to read. Peter Pan is one of my favorites too. 

 

After a couple of pages they fell fast asleep. So cute. I closed the book and kissed them goodnight. 

 

"Goodnight my angels," I whispered then turned off the lights and went to my bedroom. 

 

••••••••••

 

Michael came into the room and climbed into bed with me then carefully placing his head on my chest. I petted his hair 

 

"The kids are asleep?" I asked.

 

"Yeah, they are knocked out," he said putting his hand on my tummy. 

 

"Ya know Mike, we need to talk," I said placing my other hand overtop his. 

 

"Mmm?" he droned. 

 

"Michael what if...," I trailed off. 

 

"What if what?"

 

"What if you can't see your son being born? You know how I felt when you couldn't be there for Katy and JayCee. I just don't want to be disappointed again. I'm sorry if I sound selfish, but I wish my husband could be there holding my hand. Or what if Anubis comes back? Then what?" 

 

Michael sat up and looked at me. "Jolie, baby, I promise that I'm going to be there. The superintendent assured me that I would be able to stay home for two great months. You're not being selfish, I understand how you feel, baby." He intwined our fingers together and kissed my lips.  

 

"As for Anubis, he's never coming back. He's locked up. For life," Michael assured. 

 

He trailed kisses from my lips to my neck. I shuddered at his hot breath on my skin. His scent was so intoxicating. Why does he do this to me?

 

"Michael, I need you...."

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

Thank you for reading :) Please review :)

 

Oh and you'll hear about Anubis in the next chapter :)