- Text Size +

 

A week went by and everything was going great. Michael and I decided to take take the girls to the petting zoo. 

 

The girls love animals, they get that from their father. Don't get me wrong, I love animals too but Michael is more passionate about them. 

 

We were walking up to a pen that had a baby white tailed deer with it's mother. 

 

"Look mommy, it's Bambi," JayCee said pointing to the pen. 

 

"Yeah honey, looks just like Bambi."

 

The animal handler walked up to us. 

 

"Would you guys like to feed the baby?"

 

JayCee and Katy turned to us. 

 

"Ooh mommy, daddy, can we?" Katy asked. 

 

"Yeah can we?" JayCee added. 

 

"Of course you can, girls," Michael said. 

 

We went into the pen and Michael, the girls and I petted and bottle fed the fawn. 

 

Michael looked so cute feeding the fawn:

 

 

"About how much would it cost to have a little zoo like this," Michael asked the handler. 

 

"With the cost of food, the animals, and the pens... I'd say about $25,000," the handler replied. 

 

"Hmm...that's nice," Michael said smiling. 

 

I was confused. Why would Michael want to know the cost of the establishment? What's he got up his sleeve? I'll ask him later. 

 

After we finished petting the animals we went to the restrooms to wash our hands. We went back to the car and settled in. 

 

"Okay, what do you guys want to eat for dinner?" I asked. 

 

"Can we go to KFC please?" JayCee asked. 

 

"Yeah mommy, KFC," Katy chimed. 

 

"Yeah baby, KFC," Michael said excitedly. 

 

I laughed, "KFC it is."

 

•••••••••

 

When we got home, the girls were pooped. After KFC, we went to get some frozen yogurt then we watched a movie at the theatre. 

 

Michael and I carried Katy and JayCee to their room and changed them into their pj's. They were practically zombies. Once they hit the pillow, they were knocked out. 

 

"Goodnight babies," I kissed their heads. 

 

"Goodnight angels," Michael kissed them goodnight after me. 

 

"Baby, I'm feeling a little tired. I'm gonna go to bed early. There's a sandwich in the fridge if you're hungry," I whispered. 

 

"Okay sweetie, goodnight. I'll be there in a few minutes," he kissed my cheek and said goodnight to his son. Its so cute when Michael talks to my belly. Soon he's going to see and hold his newborn son. 

 

I walked to the bedroom, put on my nightie, laid down and was out like a light. 

 

•••••••••

 

I was in the kitchen eating a sandwich when the phone rang. I went over and answered it quickly before it woke Jolie up. 

 

"Hello?"

 

"Hello, is this the Dr. Jackson residence?"

 

"Yes," I said, "how may I help you?"

 

"This is Superintendent Marshall with the U.S. Military."

 

I recognized him right away, "Oh, hello Superintendent Marshall. Is there something wrong?"

 

"Actually...yes. It has to do with your two month leave. There was a surprise bombing on one of your troop hospitals and we have lost five of our military doctors. The soldiers are at a very critical condition and we really need your help Dr. Jackson. You're going to have to come back."

 

What! Oh my goodness, this is terrible. But it's only been a week! Jolie will be so disappointed. The girls.... My son. I told her I would be there.... I guess mayhem has mercy on no one. 

 

"Hello? Dr. Jackson? Are you there?"

 

"Y--yes I'm here. When do I leave, sir?"

 

"We're sending over a plane three days."

 

Three days....

 

"Okay, thank you Superintendent Marshall. Good morning over there."

 

"Goodnight to you Dr. Jackson."

 

With those words, we hung up. I went back to the kitchen table and rubbed my temples. So many things going through my mind. How am I going to tell Jolie and the girls?

 

I'll tell them tomorrow morning. 

 

The sandwich was beginning to look unappetizing but Jolie made it for me, I don't want to waste it. I'll just put the plastic wrap back around it and eat it later. 

 

After I put the sandwich in the fridge, I went into the bedroom and stood in the door frame. She looked so beautiful both sleeping and awake. I sighed and changed into my pajamas and carefully got into bed with her, placing my arm over her in a protective yet intimate way. 

 

"I love you," I whispered. 

 

••••••••••

 

I woke up in early again. But this time Michael wasn't beside me. Am I dreaming? I got up, put my robe on, and walked to the bathroom. 

 

"Michael?" I whispered. Nobody there. 

 

I walked to the kitchen. "Michael?"

 

The back door was slightly ajar. I was scared. I grabbed the bat from behind the door and put on my slippers then opened the door.

 

I saw a figure on the on the porch. I raised the bat and crept up slowly to it. Right as I was about to swing the sun was starting to rise. 

 

"Jolie?"

 

I sighed and put the bat down. "Michael? Oh my gosh, you scared me. I thought you were a burglar. What are you doing out here?"

 

Michael chuckled. "I scared you? Says the woman with the bat," I rolled my eyes. 

 

"But still, is there something wrong, Mike?"

 

He sighed. "Come sit with me." He patted his knee. 

 

I walked over to him and sat on his lap. 

 

"Ow my legs!"

 

I gasped, "Oh Michael I'm sorry!" I made an effort to get up but he held me down and smiled. 

 

"Just kidding," he chuckled. 

 

I slapped his arm. "That wasn't funny," I said pouting. 

 

"Yeah it was. But anyway...I have to tell you something."

 

He got all serious. "What is it babe?"

 

"I'm gonna have to go back to Afghanistan early."

 

"...How early?"

 

He looked down but I grabbed his face and gently moved it to face mine. "How early, Michael?" I said trying to fight back tears. 

 

"...Three days...."

 

When he spoke, I lost the battle between me and my tear ducts. 

I began to cry against his chest. Why? Why did he have to go?

 

"Shh...baby, everything is gonna be alright." He bounce rocked me side to side as if I was a baby.

 

••••••••••

 

After a few minutes of crying, Michael explained what happened and why he had to go. I understood but how will the girls take it? They hate seeing their daddy leave. 

 

I was still in Michael's lap and he was rubbing my belly when the baby started to kick. 

 

He smiled a ear to ear grin. "Oh my gosh he's kicking." This was the first time since Michael's been home that the baby kicked. 

 

Seeing the look on Michael's face brought a smile to mine. Oh how much I'm gonna miss that beautiful face. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

Michael sitting on the back porch. 

 

 

Thank you so much for reading. Please leave reviews :) <3